The Mind of a Writer

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions The Mind of a Writer

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 327 total)
  • Author
    Corissa Maiden of Praise
    @corissa-maiden-of-praise
      • Total Posts: 256

@kate-flournoy I thought you might. 😉

And I think you’re right about the T vs F thing; I can’t remember what it was last time I scored ENTJ (the last couple of times I’ve scored ENFJ-A?! Seriously, I was just getting it figured out and they threw another letter on? C’mon! *calms down* Can Professor Kateses gives us an explanationses, please?), but I think it was pretty close.

@dragon-snapper
      What fun! I’m not much of an artist, but I do talk to my music sometimes when I’m playing. Music’s more my thing than art. 😉

"Courage is action in spite of fear."

Corissa Maiden of Praise

@sleepwalkingmk So glad to have you join our crazy conversation! 😀 😀 😀

That dream sounds so crazy! I think my mind would explode. 😉

I think @anne-of-lothlorien is an ENFP; she generally only has internet access on Mondays though. She’ll probably get on here and die laughing before she can respond to anything. 😛 😀

Corissa Maiden of Praise

Wait, while we’re on the topic of dreams (forgive me if this has already been asked and I missed it) do you really have somnambulism @sleepwalkingmk? I don’t, but I do have somniloquy. My brother has occasional somnambulism though; usually he just gets up and feeds the fish. X)

Jess
          @jess
            • Total Posts: 575

INTJs possess emotions, but as emotions do not fit in any logical pattern dealing with them can be difficult, so they find it easier to put them aside. Helpful though this may seem on the surface, it actually undermines their confidence and can lead to insecurity.

Yes, @kate-flournoy, this so much! I do have emotions (sometimes contrary to popular belief), but they really don’t make any sense, so who needs em? Except then they tend to come out when you don’t want them to. @corrisa-maiden-of-praise

I would say that we (INTJs) are generally not very “touchy.” We’ll hug, but it might feel very awkward. (Which is horrible for me because I live in a touchy family) I would also say that we have fewer friends because people don’t really understand us, or we become overwhelmed. (several of my friends are INFPs) (And we’re very complex.)
            However, you say that we tend to be more visionary versus practical. I am rather practical as well as visionary. This may be true for others though (@hope?) I like the quote: The most starry eyed idealist and bitterest of cynics, to describe me. I’m working on mellowing the inner-cynic. 😛

SleepwalkingMK
            @sleepwalkingmk
              • Total Posts: 179

@corissa-maiden-of-praise My brother is an IN/SFJ, and I completely agree with what Kate said about them. Btw @kate-flournoy You’re really good at this personality thing. I love studying the personalities (I spent weeks researching them for my own and my characters’). I study them so I can see how and why people act, though.

@dragon-snapper
              I talk to my stuff and myself all the time. I’ll apologize to my computer for getting food on it in the same minute I complain to it that the Internet is too slow xD I talk to my characters so much, too. I’m in the process of recording one of those converstions. I also narrate my life in my head in 3rd person. Does anyone else do this?
              I get so affected by music… I listen to music during school, writing… any time I can. If I’m listening to Test Drive from the HTTYD soundtrack, the scene I’m writing is bound to be epic. There is always the bad side effect of seeing the actual movie in my mind as I listen to the soundtrack 😛
              I used to be really influenced by the books I read and the movies I watched (not as much now though). I would start acting like the main character inadvertently, and my thoughts and dreams would usually end up turning back to the movie or book for a month or more. Is/was anyone like this, or is it just another weird fact about me?

Read to explore worlds, write to create them.

Jess
              @jess

Wow, you people are a strange folk. 😛 I never talk to my stuff, and while I listen to music all the time, it doesn’t really affect me…

Corissa Maiden of Praise

@sleepwalkingmk Yes, I do that somewhat… it’s more the accent for me, though, rather than actually acting like them. Reading or listening to anyone with accents… I frequently slip into a British accent, occasionally Scottish or Irish, and when we go to Arkansas to visit relatives, it doesn’t take long before I’m slipping into a southern accent. It actually really annoys my family. 😛 🙂

Aaaand about the hug thing… I think I’m the only extrovert in my family (except for maybe my dad… but I’m not really sure) and NO ONE else is really very touchy. I am always trying to give hugs or something (though truth be told, I think I’m finally giving up 😛 ) and nobody wants them. It can be quite bothersome, actually, when all I want is a good hug. But we’s learns to copes preciousss, yesss… 😉

AND TEST DRIVE IS SO AWESOME!!! 😀 But yeah, kind of hard to listen to without seeing the scene in your head… I think my personal favorite individual soundtrack song would be Lighting of the Beacons from Return of the King. 😀

SleepwalkingMK
                  @sleepwalkingmk

@corissa-maiden-of-praise Haha, I was really confused when I woke up. Oh, cool! It’s fun meeting other ENFPs. I don’t have somnambulism anymore but I used to have a mild case xD. I would just go to the bathroom or wake up one of my parents and say weird things. It’s funny, my brother came up with this username (maybe after watching Star Wars 😉 so if we both had accounts on something I’d be Sleepwalker # my soccer number and he’d be Sleepwalker # his soccer number.

Corissa Maiden of Praise

@jess I thankest thee for that fair compliment- a strange folk we surely are. 😀 😀 😀

Corissa Maiden of Praise

@sleepwalkingmk Oh, you play soccer? Cool! My pen-pal plays soccer too; in fact, her team was part of some kind of big nationwide thing and helped break a record for the most people playing some game similar to soccer at one time. It was pretty cool. 😀

Hope Ann
                        @hope
                          • Total Posts: 1092

Guysssssssssss *wails* I get home from church and get 38 emails…almost all of them from this thread. *pouts* I can’t keep up with you all.

And now, @Corissa-Maiden-of-Praise, @Kate-flournoy, @Jess, on to INTJs.

Kate is pretty much right. The logic. The suppressing emotions and not showing it because it’s ‘just’ a feeling and isn’t what anything should be based off. Feelings can change. The logic behind a decision won’t (or shouldn’t). Emotions and emotional reactions are things to be studied and recognized so we can make sure we aren’t basing anything important solely off of them. As for having an emotional breakdown in public… *shudders* They do happen two or three times a year, but that is what pillows, showers, or dark closets are for.

The only place I’d disagree with Kate is about emotions and things we don’t understand making us afraid. Things I don’t understand frustrate me instead. Because there is an explanation for everything and emotions do not count as explanations. People who act only on emotion and against all logic are bewildering.

Oh, another thing that I think is partly an INTJ trait is that we imagine all kinds of scenarios automatically and without even trying or consciously thinking about it. Someone suggests something and I mentally flip though all the reasons why it could or couldn’t work, how we could organize seating or food or transportation, how something else would work better, what we could do instead, etc. And this is about a ten or twenty second thought process; it doesn’t take long at all.

@jess
                          I think I’m fairly practical, with a dash of visionary ideas. But practicalness generally rules unless it is a really grand idea…

The most starry eyed idealist and bitterest of cynics, to describe me.

I can vouch for the truth of this. Being cynical is so fun. And being morbid. Don’t ask me why. I am a very happy person (at least I like to think so) and I thoroughly enjoy being morbid…

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

SleepwalkingMK
                          @sleepwalkingmk

@corissa-maiden-of-praise I’m a bit behind in the conversation because I’m on a phone 🙂 So I respond after your response to something else… sorry xD
                            Oh my goodness. I talk in accents all the time. I love British, Italian, Spanish, German, southern… but I still can’t figure out how to talk in a Scottish accent -_- I always slip back into British.
                            I love giving hugs 🙂 My family likes them too, but I kind of just go around hugging them, which might get annoying sometimes xD.
                            Yeah, I love the httyd soundtrack. Hmmm, I’ve listened to lotr before, but I don’t remember that one. I’ll add it to my list 🙂
                            Yes, my brother and I played travel soccer for a few years. His team was very good and won a state championship (I think it was Eastern PA? I can’t remember). Oh wow, that sounds so cool! 🙂

Jess
                            @jess

@hope, Yes, morbid! I don’t know why I am, but I tend to be very morbid. (And I am a fairly happy person as well)

Things I don’t understand frustrate me instead.

Indeed. I wouldn’t say that emotions make me afraid, but I generally don’t like them. My parents don’t know what to do with me at times. Scratch that: I think they don’t know what to do with me, period. 😛

Corissa Maiden of Praise

People who act only on emotion and against all logic are bewildering.

@hope
                                YEEEEEESSSS!!! I just don’t get it. I hate it when people do that in movies- I usually try to find some rational reason and grasp onto that because I don’t like to think that there are actually people out there who act purely based on emotion and entirely against logic. It. Doesn’t. Make. Sense.

*ahem* Now that that little rant is over… 😉

@sleepwalkingmk
                                Oh yes, I forgot Italian and German. 😀 Although I don’t do German very much… I do have a bit in my blood though, so maybe I should try it more often. 😉 I’m mostly Hungarian though… what’s a Hungarian accent sound like? *scratches head*

Also, it’s interesting you slip into British from Scottish; I always slip into Irish. 😉

And one more thing. I don’t think not wanting to break down in public is necessarily an introvert thing (is that what you said, @kate-flournoy? Like I said, I’m still trying to figure things out, and following this conversation is getting… interesting. 😉 ). No matter how great or little my extrovert is, I would HATE to break down in public. Like, even that one time I broke down at a family gathering was a fate worse than death. Breaking down is for pillows and dark passages in the basement (my closet’s too small- or, rather, too full. 😉 ).

SleepwalkingMK
                                @sleepwalkingmk

@corissa-maiden-of-praise I’m taking German so that prompts me to speak in a German accent a lot… I drive my family nuts xD

@hope
                                  That’s very interesting. I’m writing an INFJ character and your insights helped a lot. Thanks 🙂 I make logical decisions *sometimes*, like when it comes to moral decisions, I’m the conscience. But other than that, I guess I’m bewildering XD
                                  I’m an extrovert, and I am terribly afraid of breaking down in public. My tears just come and don’t go away when I want them to. I broke down once in the middle of a basketball game because I was doing horribly and the fact that I broke down (not as a little girl, but as an 11-year-old) made me even more terrified. You’re right. Breaking down in public is a fear both introverts and extroverts have o_O

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 327 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >