Sebastian Universe

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Sebastian Universe

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Whaley
    @whalekeeper
      • Total Posts: 2637

@hybridlore

Aw, thanks! Do you like writing sibling scenes?

@loopylin

We don’t have Max, but you’re right – I could probably find it in YouTube clips or something.

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

hybridlore
      @hybridlore
        • Total Posts: 1359

@whalekeeper

Tbh a lot of my characters so far have been only children, but I’m planning to maybe start a new WIP about four siblings. 😁

There is always light behind the clouds.
        - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

Euodia
        @euodia-vision
          • Total Posts: 1306

@whalekeeper

LOVED that Seb scene, girl!!!

I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick and I was like, "That log had a child

Whaley
          @whalekeeper

@hybridlore

Cool! Good luck keeping them in control XD

@euodia-vision

Thank yoooouuuuu ❤❤

@loopylin
            @mineralizedwritings

Hey girls! So I was wondering, do you have any advice on just comic-drawing in general? Idk if that’s what I want to do, because I’m not too experienced with drawing. But I really enjoy it, and might want to try it out. Any tips?

MineralizedWritings
            @mineralizedwritings
              • Total Posts: 2803

@whalekeeper

Oh yes I love questions like these! Honestly lot’s of what I learned is from reading comics myself, I think it’s the best way to learn, but here’s some tips.

Start with a establishing shot. Establishing shots bleed all the way to the edge of the top of the page. It’s like a cinematic wide shot to establish location. If there are any figures in the drawing, they should be in the distance. Not every shot after this will have a detailed background (too time consuming) so this helps the reader get a sense of place for the rest of the scene.

Also it helps if you already have a script written, or you can just use any of your writing. It’s kinda hard to write and draw well at the same time.

You want to have a sense of time, especially in the emotional scenes. If a character is really having a hard time making a decision, and it’s taking awhile, you might have multiple panels. The first one could show his facial expression of initial anxiety over the decision at hand, the second one might show him look over at the friend for a little help, his friends shakes his head, leaving the guy on  his own, and then in the next panel, he gives a answer. It’s worth doing more panels for stuff like that so readers can read between the lines with the more subtle details.

If you’re looking for the drawing and framing part of comics, I would check out David finch on youtube. Fair warning not all his art is pg, but he has some great advice. You can just skip the intro that shows some of his finished works, the tutorials themselves are usually fine, and I’ve learned a lot from him.

There’s also Chommang on youtube. I haven’t watched any of his videos but they look really informative, and his art style is like a more pretty delicate form of manga.

I’ve also liked some of winged canvas’s tutorials!

Ok, that was information overload but you asked for it XD As long as you’re drawing comics and trying new things you’ll get better. You have to try new scary things or you won’t get better 😭. Reading comics has really helped me a lot though.

If you want, there’s a really good book by Scott mccloud called ‘making comics’ it’s expensive, but I convinced my parents to get it for me and it’s worth the money.

へびは かっこいい です!

LoopyLin
              @loopylin
                • Total Posts: 2062

@whalekeeper

lol yeah I have some tips.

Don’t be like me. : )

I tend to be a perfectionist and that is not good for a comic artist. So… some of this stuff I have to tell myself almost every day. Hope it’s helpful.

When you start drawing a comic, your art is going to start rapidly change and improve as you’re going along. This can be frustrating when you compare a page from chapter one to a page in chapter seventeen, but you have to resist the urge to go back and redraw pages. You can do your rough drafts and triple rough drafts and editing when you’re writing the script, but once you’re in the drawing stage, you don’t want to be going back and redrawing pages constantly or you will get burnt out really fast. Of course, you can fix any pages that you think are really important and you want them to look good, but maybe you shouldn’t until you’ve already finished the rest of the book.

Also, don’t wait until you think your art skills are good enough to start the comic. I’ve been doing that. It’s bad. Just start once you have the script.

Another thing that you should do is be familiar with your character designs and keep them simple. Since you’ll be drawing your characters constantly, you don’t want them to be too complicated and you also want to have fun drawing them. Sometimes you need to draw a character a million times before you get the design down, and sometimes you get it on the first try.

Also, YouTube tutorials are super helpful.

Also, also, it’s very helpful to study movies and film, because they are very similar to comics in a lot of ways, and you can learn some things from film makers that comic book artists might not think to talk about.

Also, also, also, what Min said was great.

Sorry this is super rambly as usual. Thanks for thinking to ask me, though.

Space Princess ✨🪐 intp artist

LoopyLin
                @loopylin
                  • Total Posts: 2062

TheStarfishface on YouTube had a couple really helpful videos about webcomics

Space Princess ✨🪐 intp artist

Whaley
                  @whalekeeper

@mineralizedwritings @loopylin

I don’t have the mental capacity to respond to those tips individually right now, but I read them, thought about them, and I really appreciated you girls taking the time to say something 😊❤️ Thank you both!

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  >