Preachiness, Allegories, Analogies, and Every Other Way to Implement Your Theme

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Mission, Calling & Ethics Preachiness, Allegories, Analogies, and Every Other Way to Implement Your Theme

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Trailblazer
    @trailblazer
      • Total Posts: 595

@esther-c @whalekeeper

Here are my thoughts on the serious/not serious aspect of writing. I’m not necessarily agreeing/disagreeing, but I just wanted to add something else that came to mind while reading your posts. 

The Creator created us with creativity, and I think He has given us the capacity to be able to create things that reflect His creativity, whether it directly refers to Him or not, because creativity in itself is a reflection of part of His character. It is up to the vessel whether to use creativity for good or for bad, and for me, as a writer, I want to be aware of what I’m writing, but at the same time, I don’t think that means it has to be all serious. 

Something God has been showing me recently is that He is fun, that He has a sense of humor. He’s not all stiff and serious all the time. Yes, He is the Judge and the King, but He is also a Father and Friend, and friends have fun together. Personally, I like to invite Him into the writing process with me because I know He loves being involved in what I love to do. Sometimes I write serious things, sometimes I write humorous things, sometimes I write sad things, sometimes I write heart-warming things. On the one hand, I think we have been given the privilege of getting to partner with God in the creative process to release parts of His heart and character to the world around us, and I never want to discount that. But at the same time, I think there is also a part of the process that is meant to be fun for us as writers, and writing, for me, is fun. If I didn’t enjoy it, I wouldn’t do it, lol. 

Anyway, those are just some of my thoughts. 

"Real love is for your good, not for your comfort." -Justin Whitmel Earley

Sara
      @savannah_grace2009
        • Total Posts: 1984

@trailblazer

I agree with you so much on this!!!!!!!!!!

Lukas&Livia
        #Lalbert
        Sef&Chase
        #HOTTOLINE
        LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Esther
        @esther-c
          • Total Posts: 3205

@trailblazer

That’s a great way to put it!! I totally agree!

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Esther
          @esther-c

@savannah_grace2009

Okay good haha I am just scared now I guess? lol I have never really worried about being preachy before, I just kind of do my own thing I guess?

I feel like preachiness is something that can be fixed when you’re editing. At least for the most part. I wouldn’t worry about it now. You keep doing your own thing for now. 😉 One day you may look at it and think it needs to change, but the most important thing to focus on is writing what God wants you to write. <3

freedom
            @freed_and_redeemed
              • Total Posts: 333

@savannah_grace2009 Girl, pls never worry about your writing being preachy.

Speaking God’s truth is more important than what people will think. I think your stories are beautiful, and with how lovable your characters are, I wouldn’t worry about it one bit.

You do what you feel led to do, regardless of what everyone else thinks…their opinion doesn’t matter, only yours and most of all, God’s💕

'Thought I'd wait'
              'For what?'
              'For the right partner'

freedom
              @freed_and_redeemed

@whalekeeper @esther-c

I wholly agree with @trailblazer on this one.

Writing can be serious at times and fun at others. But I don’t agree that our writing should just be to “entertain” others.

Yes, people should like it and have fun with it, but if our writing is just for showing a small lesson and “entertainment”, I think we have a few things askew. The world offers “entertainment”. We are called to spread the light of Christ.

Entertainment is merely a distraction, something to give us something to do when we’re bored. Is Jesus just a distraction, something to give us something to do when we’re bored?

(i understand if you write just for fun, but if you’re actually wanting to write for God, this is something more along those lines…)

Let me give you kinda an example to kinda explain what I mean…

Y’all know I love Marvel. But recently, I’ve felt more and more that I don’t want to watch it super often and I honestly have had no desire to write fanfictions. Why? Because it’s just entertainment. I don’t feel as if it makes me feel anything…maybe it teaches me small lessons, but that’s it…I don’t feel as if it’s anything more than something I watch/write for fun when I’m bored and need something to do.

I understand if y’all have a different opinion on this, and this isn’t an attack on anyone…

but why are we so worried about being “preachy” when as Christians we are called to be the light of the world? Why did Jesus remind the disciples that no one hides a lamp under a basket if he wanted the disciples to be afraid of being “preachy”?

Jesus said that if we are ashamed of the Gospel…then so will he be ashamed of us.

Those are some powerful words!

and again, this isn’t an attack! God is actually convicting me of some of these things, and I need to get some things right too! None of us are perfect, but we are called to be the light of the world, for ‘in the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.’ (Matthew 5:16) <3 <3 <3

Love y’all💕💕

'Thought I'd wait'
                'For what?'
                'For the right partner'

freedom
                @freed_and_redeemed

and writing is not essential to anyone’s walk with God. Let’s make that clear that we should all agree with that.

'Thought I'd wait'
                  'For what?'
                  'For the right partner'

Whaley
                  @whalekeeper
                    • Total Posts: 2602

@freed_and_redeemed

Oh my, Freedom has denounced Marvel… O.O Nooo way, I never thought I’d live to see the day.

Anywhoozies 😆

I am hesitant to do this, but I’m going to combat some of what you said 😅

First of all, I never said we shouldn’t communicate truths in our stories. What I actually said a bit ago was that it is impossible not to infuse your stories with your beliefs.

I feel like I diverted my post with an extreme, which was “stories are just for lessons and entertainment.” I agree with the rest of my post, and reconfigure my statement to “stories say something through entertainment.” I think we both believe that, but our definitions of what makes a story valuable are different.

I see no wrong in making things for our own entertainment. Entertainment is a vessel for ideas like pretty much everything in our world. When you enter the hypothetical of a story, it is a little higher in abstract concept than say, eating a piece of pizza, but it should not be as high as a philosophy discussion or a sermon. If that were true, why would you even have the two words “story” and “sermon”? I feel as if you are making them the same thing. You just said telling a story without Jesus in it is basically denying Jesus.

A sermon is direct, completely focused on the individual. A story is meant to entertain and simultaneously have human experience infused within it. Human experience – especially the hidden patterns in human experience – can be proof of God. And like I said before, you cannot not put your values into your story.

In what way does a Christian-written story – with a goal of making kids happy – prove the writer is ashamed of the Gospel?

Most important to me… If I design my superhero story’s plot out of love for my mom’s emotional determination, is that a less  less valuable story than a book teaching direct Biblical things?

“Preachiness” is when a story sacrifices its medium and becomes a story-sermon hybrid. It breaks the fourth wall to address the audience, when a story is meant to contain passion in its own world.

And I firmly believe that a story without mention of God – without deliberate parallels to God’s message – are just as valuable as those with them.

I understand you’re not attacking, and I might be misunderstanding you. This is just what I’m gaining from your post.

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

LoopyLin
                    @loopylin
                      • Total Posts: 2028

Ok I’m jumping in here cuz this looks fun and my tiny brain is experiencing thoughts hi

@freed_and_redeemed
                      @whalekeeper

(i understand if you write just for fun, but if you’re actually wanting to write for God, this is something more along those lines…)

Ok, so, I don’t think there’s a difference between a Christian writing for fun and writing for God. I believe that a children’s fantasy book about a gnome going on an adventure has the potential to be just as glorifying to Him as a story about someone converting to Christianity.

It’s kinda like the difference between natural revelation and the revelation in God’s scripture. While scripture declares the truth of God clearly in human language, creation also declares the truth and glory of God clearly to the point where no one has an excuse to deny Him, whether or not they have read scripture. (Romans 1:19-20ish)

So if creation clearly declares God’s glory without explicitly saying His name in human language, why can’t stories do the same? Creation shows the truth of God in its beauty and structure. Writing (as I see it) is a thankful response to God’s blessings which mimics creation. Even though I never mention Jesus or Scripture, it’s still written for God.

And yes, I write for fun. I also sing for fun, and play with my cousins and do yard work for fun. But I believe that anytime a Christian helps their sibling, admires the stars, cooks a good dinner, laughs or cries with a friend, or joyfully cleans their house, they are living for Christ. As a Christian, everything you do, even writing a silly little fantasy story, should be done for God, even if it’s not explicitly stated.

I’m going to stop typing now because I think I said what I wanted to say? I hope it’s not too unintelligible.

Also, sorry for the rant, but just know that it’s a happy excited rant because I love writing and theology and ethics and discussing it with people, not an angry rant or a “here’s my opinion and everyone should agree” rant. Lol

Also sorry if I’m completely straying from the original topic or people’s points

Space Princess ✨🪐 intp artist

freedom
                      @freed_and_redeemed

@whalekeeper

I have not denounced Marvel, lol, I am just not watching/writing it as much as I once did as I have more of a passion/need for the things of God <3

That clears up a couple things.

Ok, here’s where I need to clear something up: what I meant by what I said is that it IS being ashamed of the Gospel if you don’t include the truth of God’s word bc you’re afraid of what people think. I don’t believe that every story has to explicitly have God in it; stories just for fun are good too!

I just meant that if you don’t include it bc you’re afraid is when there’s a problem

I apologize for the confusion 😭

I’m sorry if I made anyone feel attacked or anything.

And if y’all are OK with it, I don’t wish to discuss this anymore…I’m thinking way too much about this and I honestly don’t need this stress rn. I hope y’all understand <3

'Thought I'd wait'
                        'For what?'
                        'For the right partner'

LoopyLin
                        @loopylin
                          • Total Posts: 2028

@freed_and_redeemed

Ahh I’m sorry I didn’t mean to stress you out at all! I just got excited because I love taking about philosophical stuff like this. This is why I typically try to keep my thoughts to myself, sorry

I didn’t feel attacked. I love hearing people’s opinions about this stuff. ❤️

Space Princess ✨🪐 intp artist

freedom
                          @freed_and_redeemed

@loopylin Ack, don’t apologize! I didn’t really read all of your message when I posted, haha, so don’t feel bad at all <3

I actually love what you said…you put it in a very good and compassionate and understanding way, and I appreciate that💖

@loopy @whalekeeper

I’ve had a lot on my mind lately, and I’m trying to figure some things out in life rn. I didn’t mean to make anyone feel bad or criticized, and I apologize if I did.

'Thought I'd wait'
                            'For what?'
                            'For the right partner'

Esther
                            @esther-c

@freed_and_redeemed @loopylin @whalekeeper @trailblazer

Y’all have made some really good points!! I like hearing all your thoughts on this topic. I honestly feel like there’s not a one-size-fits-all answer to the topics of preachiness and theme. They differ for each genre, each story, each author, and each plan God has for the authors and their stories. It’s a good things to discuss as Christian writers and keep in mind as we write though. Of course if we think about it too much, we might get so caught up in preachiness and the like that we forget Who we’re writing for. Like I said though, I really enjoy hearing y’all’s thoughts on these topics!

@freedom

And if y’all are OK with it, I don’t wish to discuss this anymore…I’m thinking way too much about this and I honestly don’t need this stress rn. I hope y’all understand <3

No I totally understand!! Of course. 😊

I’ve had a lot on my mind lately, and I’m trying to figure some things out in life rn. I didn’t mean to make anyone feel bad or criticized, and I apologize if I did.

Don’t worry about it! I’m not offended easily. 😉 I enjoyed hearing what you had to say and I’ll be thinking about that along with what everyone else has said. I appreciate you giving your opinion. You made some really good points that challenged me. <3

Whaley
                              @whalekeeper
                                • Total Posts: 2602

@loopylin

Oh that’s a perfect explanation, thank you for digging into that! Because I didn’t have the brain power to explain it even though it was on my mind.

@freed_and_redeemed

Lol, I’ll take it 😂

I am also sorry if anything I said sounded overly aggressive or intimidating…
                                I just feel like this is an important topic. Knowing every story – every piece of art, music, everyday creations – necessarily promotes a worldview has changed the way I see things.

I must admit, I did feel as if the value of certain story topics was being lowered in your post, but if that isn’t true, I’m sorry for thinking that <3

And I can see you’ve already cleared up something, which I appreciate.

If you don’t want to talk anymore, that’s totally up to you and I will shut my mouth. 😉

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              >