Preachiness, Allegories, Analogies, and Every Other Way to Implement Your Theme

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Mission, Calling & Ethics Preachiness, Allegories, Analogies, and Every Other Way to Implement Your Theme

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    freedom
    @freed_and_redeemed
      • Total Posts: 333

@trailblazer Amen, sister! Agreed, 100%!

'Thought I'd wait'
      'For what?'
      'For the right partner'

Esther
      @esther-c
        • Total Posts: 3205

@grcr

You’re totally fine! Sometimes it’s just fun to listen. (:

@freed_and_redeemed
        @whalekeeper @trailblazer

I love all the points y’all have made!!

I think that really clarified things for me. I suppose most non-Christian authors go into writing their stories the same way we do—they want to write a good story and present their convictions and opinions to their readers. But the difference lies in power.

Writers who are not Christians are relying on their own strength and ability to promote their beliefs and get their books into the hands of readers. On the other hand, Christian writers who are specifically called by God to spread their faith through story have the Lord of the universe on their side Who’s orchestrating things to work for their good and His glory. He’ll make sure the message is spread if that’s what He wants.

So yeah, every book with a theme or message has been written by an author who wants others to believe what they believe. Not everyone is going to be okay with every message in every book. But that’s where the power of God comes in again. God can do whatever He wants with our stories and the stories of non-Christians. It’s our duty as His children to tell the world Who He is and what He’s done, and in our case, one way to do that is through story. We don’t have to worry about being canceled or people slandering us, because no matter what happens, it’s in God’s hands. He’ll use our stories in amazing ways if we let Him.

There is an extent to which we shouldn’t be preachy because it comes off as rude and annoying. But sometimes we just have to step up and lay out the truth we firmly believe. Because Jesus is the truth, and even if some of our readers don’t like the message we have to share, we’ve done our duty by sharing it, and God will take care of the rest.

Thanks so much y’all. You helped me get my thoughts straight on this one. I guess everything else in this post was just me putting what y’all said together in my brain. XD

This topic is so important though, because we have an opportunity as Christian writers to share our faith in unique ways. It’s up to us whether we capitalize on that opportunity, or shy away from the truth. We don’t have to be a prodigy because God doesn’t always call the equipped, but He always equips the called.

Now after all this inspirational stuff about speaking the truth I really wanna go write my book! XD But alas, it is dinner time. If y’all have any other thoughts on this, I’d love to hear it!! Thanks again y’all! <3

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Karissa Chmil
        @karissa-chmil
          • Total Posts: 96

Oooh, this is a fascinating topic – thanks for starting it, @esther-c!

I honestly feel like story (at least for me) reflects redemption best when it dives deep into one aspect instead of trying to tell everything.

The gospel is the most beautiful story out there, but it has a lot of elements – a wicked people, a perfect king, redemption, discipleship, sacrifice, community, creation, hope, and so many other things. And while some stories manage to cover them all, most can’t.  there are certain stories where you can pull those in, most are going to feel a bit too forced if you try to pull all areas of theology into a single story.

But then there are the stories that focus on a single aspect of the redemption story, and those can be so powerful. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe brings in the triumph of the ressurection. The Wingfeather Saga lets us see redemption and being loved beyond personal worth in a new way. Henry and the Chalk Dragon rejoices in the wonder of a well-created (and downright funny) world.

And I feel like that’s what I go to fiction for. Not so much for an elaboration on every detail of the gospel (I can access wonderful sermons and nonfiction books for that), but for an exploration into how that gospel and that core truth runs through all other areas and changes the people it meets.

. . . but I’m also still figuring this out in a lot of ways, so I love everyone else’s thoughts. 😂

wonder | beauty | truth | love

freedom
          @freed_and_redeemed

@esther-c Happy we could help 💕 I’m still trying to figure this out too, but I’m happy The Lord helped you figure some things out <3

@karissa-chmil
            agreed! I don’t think we should all try to tell the whole Gospel in our stories, but rather bits and pieces that can lead to someone discovering the full Gospel!

and as for ways to implement your theme, which I know is one thing you also wanted to talk about, Esther, I personally believe that the theme is best implemented through characters.

At least that’s how I implement mine. Though I am farrrrrr from perfect at this whole writing thing, I’ve realized that my characters bring out the theme more than anything else in the story.

As an example, the main message of Freedom’s Fire and its sequel, Broken Shackles, is forgiveness.

Both MCs show this in different ways and show different types of forgiveness:

• Riker- Accepting God’s Forgiveness and Forgiving Himself
            • Leon- Also Accepting God’s Forgiveness and learning to Forgive Those that Harmed Him

Though their stories are vastly different from each other, they both have to come to terms with the fact that only forgiveness (and God, of course!) can heal them.

And several other books I’ve read have done the same.

But what do y’all think? How do y’all like to implement your theme?

'Thought I'd wait'
            'For what?'
            'For the right partner'

freedom
            @freed_and_redeemed

what I mean by not telling the whole Gospel, and this is just my opinion, is that I don’t like to tell the whole Gospel in my stories in a way that tells the entire story word for word, but instead I try to tell it in a way where it’s mixed in with the story, characters, theme, etc

'Thought I'd wait'
              'For what?'
              'For the right partner'

Trailblazer
              @trailblazer
                • Total Posts: 595

@freed_and_redeemed

I think I’d say the same, that my characters are really what bring out the theme in my stories. If the characters weren’t learning and growing, then is it a book worth reading? I think the theme naturally begins to show itself through my characters as they discover things about God, about others, and about themselves. Everything in a book is centered around the characters and what they’re experiencing, so I think it’s only natural that the biggest things they’re learning from those experiences become the themes of the book. 

"Real love is for your good, not for your comfort." -Justin Whitmel Earley

Esther
                @esther-c

@trailblazer

Forget to reply to this post yesterday! Whoops XD

Yeah, I’m continually blown away by how well-written the books are, and the depth of imagination it took for Bryan Davis to write them! It falls under the fantasy genre, which I’m not usually a huge fan of, but the characters are so relatable and it’s just so rich with truth. I literally have so many good quotes, and I first read them when I was in middle school, so it was very formative for me in my faith. I feel like I learn something new about God every time I reread them! Oh, and the humor? It’s not a boring series, believe me!

Ok, I am definitely going to read these books now! XD Those quotes are so good!!!

Esther
                  @esther-c

@karissa-chmil

The gospel is the most beautiful story out there, but it has a lot of elements – a wicked people, a perfect king, redemption, discipleship, sacrifice, community, creation, hope, and so many other things. And while some stories manage to cover them all, most can’t.  there are certain stories where you can pull those in, most are going to feel a bit too forced if you try to pull all areas of theology into a single story.

And I feel like that’s what I go to fiction for. Not so much for an elaboration on every detail of the gospel (I can access wonderful sermons and nonfiction books for that), but for an exploration into how that gospel and that core truth runs through all other areas and changes the people it meets.

Yes, that’s an awesome point! I think that’s why we have to be careful writing allegories because some wonderful ones have already been written. And for the most part, we should just stick to displaying an aspect of the gospel or an aspect of God’s character.

Trying to include every characteristic of God or every aspect of the gospel is like trying to hold the ocean in a paper cup. You just can’t do it!!

This gives lots of options for writers though. There are so many angles you could view the gospel and so many different themes to choose from that reflect our Savior and His attributes. I think that’s where God calls each of use to write a specific theme because He knows that the way we’ll write it will touch a reader’s life in a specific way. I love reading different themes or different angles of the same theme in fiction!

@freed_and_redeemed
                    @trailblazer

Yes, characters are totally the way to go for implementing your theme!! (At least in my opinion 😉 ) There are probably other ways to do it, but I think this one is the best one to go for. It’s not always easy, but it ties into the characters’ arcs. That also can help combat preachiness.

This was actually part of a problem I encountered in the first-and-a-half/second draft of my WIP. I had chosen a theme, but then I just threw characters in there with arcs/struggles that really had nothing to do with the theme. It goes without saying that I struggled to show my theme effectively. XD

In fact, I still struggle with this a bit, but it’s only the character arc part. I just have to tweak a few things and it might finally be fixed. 😂 (their arcs kept changing all the time XD)

But yes, I totally agree. I think the best way to show your theme is through your characters.

Now that I think about it… Do you guys think there are any other ways to show your theme instead of through your characters?

Sara
                    @savannah_grace2009
                      • Total Posts: 1984

@esther-c

Oh noooooo….

Now you guys have me worried that my story is too preachy….

ahhhhhhhhh!

Lukas&Livia
                      #Lalbert
                      Sef&Chase
                      #HOTTOLINE
                      LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Esther
                      @esther-c

@savannah_grace2009

Oh no!! What makes you think that? From what I’ve read and heard about your story, I think it’s fine.

Whaley
                        @whalekeeper
                          • Total Posts: 2599

@esther-c @anyone

God can do whatever He wants with our stories and the stories of non-Christians. It’s our duty as His children to tell the world Who He is and what He’s done, and in our case, one way to do that is through story. We don’t have to worry about being canceled or people slandering us, because no matter what happens, it’s in God’s hands. He’ll use our stories in amazing ways if we let Him.

So… I’ve heard this often. The idea that we write these stories to spread the gospel and tell the whole world about God.

Am I the only one who doesn’t see writing as a serious thing all the time?

I agree that God is our priority in everything we do, but I don’t regularly look at my writing and think “God is working and breathing through my writing.” Or at least, I don’t actively pursue that idea.

Sure, I believe He can do that if He wants, but like… I write for fun. I write about goofy cartoon hybrids, puffy potstickers, the odd naked mole rat.

Like, sure. God can prove himself through a naked mole rat. But does it make sense for me to treat this mole rat like an immortal gift, given to me from heaven to treat like a weapon of absolute power?

I appreciate the mole rat for its nakedness, and go about my way.

I have just never understood treating writing like such a big deal. It’s kind of like eating breakfast. It is glorious to God to feed myself, to make a delicious mixture of smells and tastes. But why make it into a bigger deal than it is? (Not that I don’t worship my food now and then.) You thank God for the meal and enjoy it. You don’t think about the GLoRioUs pOtEnTiaL of food, night and day!

Stories are primarily to teach people a lesson and to entertain them. That is what stories are. Writing them is a hobby, or a job, or a way to express your joy of living a godly life.

Like anything else, writing has its place in our lives and should be treated with the right amount of awe. Which is about as much awe as doing any other passion or talent. Not on super-worship-level, like church or prayer. I don’t think it should be that essential in your walk with God.

…Does that make sense to anyone else?

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

Whaley
                          @whalekeeper
                            • Total Posts: 2599

@savannah_grace2009

I haven’t heard much of your story, but if you feel that way, you can just write anything you like right now and edit the unnecessary stuff out later. In other words… don’t beat yourself up 🙂 Theme intensity is a spectrum, and some stories get away with so much more than others!

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

Esther
                            @esther-c

@whalekeeper

Oh yeah that makes total sense. (:

I try my best to keep one of the biggest purposes of my writing, to glorify God, in the forefront of my mind, but like you said, sometimes I just do it for fun. I do believe God can work through our writing, but I also think story is something He’s given us to enjoy and have fun with.

Stories are primarily to teach people a lesson and to entertain them. That is what stories are. Writing them is a hobby, or a job, or a way to express your joy of living a godly life.

Yes, I totally agree with that. I really love the last example you gave, “to express your joy of living a godly life.”

I don’t think we should constantly be taking writing super seriously, because it’s okay to have fun with it. Like you mentioned, it has its place in the world and can be used by God, just like anything else. I definitely don’t view it as something essential in my walk with God, but I do sometimes see it as a form of worship and a way to bring glory to my Savior and Creator.

As I keep repeating, it is also something I do for fun. I try not to take it too seriously (I’d stress myself out if I did. XD) Some days I feel really inspired and want to write something deeply spiritual, other days, I just wanna hang out with my characters or watch them goof off. 😜 Writing can be used different ways, and like any passion or calling, sometimes we just need to have fun with it. 🤪

Esther
                              @esther-c

In short: I agree with you!

XD

Sara
                                @savannah_grace2009
                                  • Total Posts: 1984

@esther-c

Okay good haha I am just scared now I guess? lol I have never really worried about being preachy before, I just kind of do my own thing I guess?

@whalekeeper

Yeah, haha I know, I just don’t want to mess anything up XD

Lukas&Livia
                                  #Lalbert
                                  Sef&Chase
                                  #HOTTOLINE
                                  LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >