New adventurer here!

Home Page ā€ŗ Forums ā€ŗ General Site Info ā€ŗ Start HERE ā€ŗ New adventurer here!

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Elfwing
    @elfwing
      • Total Posts: 486

@abigail-m

Hi!!!

I like Elfwing, but either one is fine!

Thanks! I have relatives with the last name Griffin, which was partly my inspiration for the inclusion of the creatures in my fantasy novels. what is your WIP about? or is it top secret? *looks around suspiciously

And YES that movie is EPIC!!! it is by far my favorite movie that I watched so often as a child I now can listen to the soundtrack and quote itā€¦ to my familyā€™s annoyance at timesā€¦Ā  and it is at the top of my favorite movie list for sure. (sorry, LoTR & Jurassic Park/World)

Okay, *sighs * I have to pick favorites? XD Well, Spirit, of course. also, the little Indian baby that pulls on Spiritā€™s nose. AND, call me crazy, but in a wayā€¦ the colonel, but more the change in him from the beginning to end is what I like, how he lets Spirit go, and his character not necessarily changing but it shows he even though he is hard and even cruel, Spirit wins his respect as a fellow warrior. Sorry, so dramatic XD ā€˜The nodā€™ they do gets me every time XD

And I just love Here I Am, itā€™s so epic, and actually, a song Iā€™ve used for my current MC, along with Canā€™t Take Me and Get Off My Back, also from the movie as you would know. Haha,Ā that says a lot of good about my characters, and um, me as a writer, I suppose lol

Well, thank you for the greetings!!

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

Abigail.M.
      @abigail-m
        • Total Posts: 1242

@elfwing

Yikes, my reply disappeared, (warning, that happens from time to time on KP), let me know if you didnā€™t get it though and I can work on a re-post:)

Elfwing
        @elfwing

@abigail-m

Thanks!

mwahaha, I love griffons, and I have created a general personality of dislike towards firebirds and also general orneriness and they decide if they like the humans, and will take them, not the other way round. XD

I like writing in the omniscient POV as well since I have at least 3 side plots going on at once haha.

that sounds like an epic story!!! snow warriorā€¦ thatā€™s so cool, and Russia, thatā€™s gotta be epic! It sounds like something Iā€™d enjoy!

Haha yes, Spirit has got to be one of the best movies made! Oh!!! I love Iron Will!! Itā€™s the one about the sled dogs, right?

haha yes, Rain is hilarious, I love the part when she trips him up; ā€œOkay, I admit it. She wasā€¦ charming. In a stubborn, irritating kinda way.ā€ that line just makes me laugh XD

The colonelā€™s a favorite character also because I like I wanna have a character like him in a book that is still in my head and likely will never leave it. The nod, and then the triumphant, ā€œey-ye-ye-yi!ā€ of Little Creek, who is also a favorite.

My MC is currently- well, I have several because I have three different views of the same theme from different places;

Alinna is the 5ā€™5ā€³ shorty whoā€™s not to be trifled with, and her song would be Here I Am. Sheā€™s quiet and protective, but being forced into a mission to save the world has made her confident so now she has absolutely no problem with public speaking and has spoken up to several snobbish nobles so farā€¦ XD

Mythia Silverhorn is the tough no-nonsense girl who is assertive when she needs to take charge, but prefers to do what needs done without a word to anyone and is unbelievably stubborn and very insecure so acts tough and sometimes mean. if she had a song it would be Get Off My Back, for just explained reasons XD

Then thereā€™s Elenor, whoā€™s a short little spitfire of a princess and sheā€™s sort of ticked off because sheā€™s to be in an arranged marriage, even it is to Thado whoā€™s, on the whole, a lovely guy and a Mr. Darcy. like, come on, who doesnā€™t love Mr. Darcy??? Wellā€¦ I guess she doesā€¦ well, sheā€™s getting there. But itā€™s that she has to marry him that she doesnā€™t like, so sheā€™s currently being a bit of a brat about it, but hey, sheā€™s 17 and a Bardan/Dorun Princess, I donā€™t blame her. The Bardans are the (mostly) carefree vikingish people of my land and theyā€™re also extremely stubborn. the more theyā€™re told to do things the less they wanna do it, especially when they have absolutely no say.

The guysā€¦ well, thereā€™s three guys, Viktur Oak, whoā€™s quiet and mischievous when he wants to be. He and Alinna are 3rd cousins and heā€™s a hardened warrior/former assassin even though heā€™s barely 20. Heā€™s a steady, gentle, and protective guy

Then thereā€™s Kaunon, whoā€™s an awesome sidekick sorta guy who I personally love, and he and Alinna are so in love its adorable XD well, I think so. He and Mythia have been traveling along with some others, involved in a completely different aspect of the main theme. Heā€™s like, the clownish warrior who is no-nonsense when need be, but will usually end up being the one, of all of his friends, to get his vambrace caught on a saddle, or left behind, or bitten by a poisonous creature, or, or XD

then thereā€™s Thado, whoā€™s the handsome Mr. Darcy sort of guy whoā€™s also a bit too stubborn and silent and a terrible communicator beyond military commanding, which is frustrating, and heā€™s also a little insecure, seeing as heā€™s forced into the role of a duke at the young age of 20ish and he doesnā€™t have many friends because he looks very arrogant, and is a commander personality, heā€™s absolutely besotted with Elenor, and is also confused by her sporadic temper. XD

Yessss high fives!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Elfwing.

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

Abigail.M.
          @abigail-m

@elfwing

Hi Elfwing! I am really sorry about this late reply, and I truly appreciate your patience with me here:)
            Ooh, I LOVE the dynamics you created with the griffons and the firebirds. Thatā€™s extremely creative and intriguing! šŸ˜€
            *High fives* Thatā€™s awesome! Not too many writers use omniscient, so thatā€™s cool that you do as well. Three side plots sound amazing, (my side plots are out of control sometimes XD ), what are they about? Donā€™t feel obligated to say or anything, I was just curious:)
            Thank you!! That makes me really glad to hear that you think itā€™s epic!:D I hope to post some for critiques one day, but I have a LOT of work to put into it first XD

Without a doubt! Spirit is an all-time great. Yes, Iron Will is the one with the sled dogs:)
            YES YES YES!! That is the best scene ever where Rain trips Spirit and Spirit thinks that XD Gosh, that was the best and of course, that triumphant moment is nothing short of incredible šŸ˜€ And the colonelā€¦ *sigh* I just love everything about Spirit!

Wow, all of your characters sound so spectacular and I love how you matched up Spirit soundtrack to Alinna and Mythia! They are all amazing and are such an intriguing cast! Thank you so much for sharing them all with me, I loved reading about them šŸ˜€

Ā 

Elfwing
            @elfwing

@abigail-m

all good! Life will be life. I understand, weā€™re packing up our house to move across Canada in four days lol.

Yesss omniscient is my favorite. Iā€™ve been trying the first person and find it fun, but itā€™s also frustrating at times, especially since I donā€™t want to do male MC in 1st person POV because I donā€™t know how they think so I donā€™t wanna botch it up, but I like at least one of the MCs to be guys, so itā€™s fun to have the awesome guyfriend of the MC! xD

glad it sounds interesting! my side plots also get out of control XD

umā€¦ side plots in summaryā€¦ lemme try my best XD

well, one side plot tracks Mythia, Kaunon & Thado (for some of it), and the Serpent Prince Evyrett. Their journey is more to do with internal conflict and insecurities and learning to overcome them.

the other side-plot is my two top favorite characters of my entire series XD Stailon and Ataha (sorry, spoilers, if you ever read it youā€™ll why. XD) and their journey is more personalā€¦ the forgiveness of betrayals and discovered past of them and their family that really hurts, and such things. Then they set out across the country on the adventure theyā€™ve been waiting 300 years to do together, and wind up meeting Mythia whoā€™s gotten sick and is all by herself and the bad guy rescued her for his own reasons and brought her to them. This one also later includes Evyrett, whoā€™s also very sick for much the same reason as Mythia.

This side plotā€¦ hehe glad you asked, Elenor and Thadoā€™s relationship *sweats nervously * from courtship on. this side plot is briefer since it focuses on them learning to have mutual trust for each other, respect on Elenorā€™s part, and then Thado sorta disappears over something he thinks is a big problem and almost breaks her heartā€¦ XD

so yeah, thatā€™s where Iā€™m at in brief summary XD

oh cool! I want to do that too, but not yetā€¦ I have a lotta polishing to do before it leaves my little circle of people who are currently reading it. I like snow, and ice, and cold, and snow and did I mention snow? XD and the ranger thing sounds epic since that happens to be a favorite plot idea that I have not even used yet XD

okay, question;

I have six people ranging from 13 to 20 who have read at least the first three of my series and are continuing on XD they all love it and want me to try publishing it, to which I balk and scuttle into my little cave; ā€œnot yet! my precious isnā€™t ready! it must wait! yes it must!ā€ soā€¦

what do you do when even your beta readers have nothing negative to say other than spelling or occasionally finding a minor plot loophole like ages of MCs being wrong?

itā€™s frustrating but also encouraging (I thinkā€¦?). My one reader is a serious bookworm (the 20 yo) and when I asked her what she thought and to give me honest feedback, all she said was ā€œyou should publish and I wouldnā€™t change a thingā€ and she is the kind of person who is wonderfully blunt about such things and I have heard her pick books apart XD

besides my one best friend who is also being an amazing beta reader and scouring my drafts for anything she can find, (and still not giving anything negative beyond how terrible my grammar can be) the others are not even necessarily close friends, and they say the same and have nothing at all thatā€™s negative, and cheer for me to publish it, even when I think itā€™s a horrible sorry scene.

Iā€™d search online but as of right now my parents are a little more cautious about that.

yeah the colonel is so hilarious and Rain is so sassy XD poor Spirit doesnā€™t stand a chance.

Iā€™m glad you like my cast!!

what are the names of your cast? if you donā€™t want to I understand. I just love names.

phew that was a long response, sorry XD

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Elfwing.

Abigail.M.
              @abigail-m

@elfwing

Thank you for understanding about that:) Moving across Canada? Wow, thatā€™s cool:) It sounds tough, but really awesome at the same time šŸ˜€

*High five for omniscient writing!* XD Ooh, but first person is always fun too:D Though the only times I really use it are when I interview my characters or write journal entries for them or while working on internal dialogue. Ahh, yes. Writing first person for guy characters isā€¦ tough. To say the very least that is. Because like you said, itā€™s really hard to truly get into a guyā€™s brain and itā€™s impossible for me to understand their mind. So usually I just go with what knowledge I can scrap together about their psychology, (Not. Easy.) So I just rely on if I can write about Unicorns, I can try to manage writing about a guy characterā€¦ but I know Iā€™d never write a whole novel with a male MC in first person, it just wouldnā€™t feel right. So I understand what you mean 100%, but guyfriends are also a ton of fun to have in a novel and thatā€™s awesome!:D

Whoa, all those subplots sound astounding :O šŸ˜€ Stailon and Ataha sound amazing and Mythia and Evyrettā€™s dynamics sound so mysterious and I already can tell that Elanor and Thadoā€™s relationship is amazing:D
                That sounds a lot like me XD I love anything winter or snow, (snow is spectacular:)

Hmm, that is a very good question. Well first of all, if you know your beta readers are being as honest as they can possibly be and your beta reader whoā€™s a bookworm is truly blunt about these things, Iā€™d say thatā€™s encouraging! Because one of the utmost important things is that your readers are engaged, so thatā€™s wonderful and wonderful that theyā€™re cheering for you! But the road to publication can also be as hard as walking through a street of molasses in winter, even and especially for the great books, (War and Peace was rejected 122 times before being published and becoming a global classic. Rejections are really nothing more than little certificates that certify that you have officially entered the literary world). And if you decide to send it out, youā€™ll want to polish up the grammar of course, maybe have an editor look at it or such, and truly anything can happen once itā€™s sent. Anything can happen because almost everything has happened out there, from acceptance to rejection to agents being interested in a novel and losing interest in the manuscript after they read it. But later regaining interest when they read a new version. I mean really, anything can happen. But back to the main questionā€¦ on the other hand, -though you shouldnā€™t wait too long to send your work off-Ā  you may want to have a couple of new beta readers read it first. Fresh eyes who havenā€™t ever read your novel and so as to offer new feedback and new thoughts, you know? Though finding good beta readers whose feedback is constructive and actionable can be tough, it could definitely be worth it:) And if they say the same as your other readers, I think itā€™s time you send it out into the world and see what happens!

Ah yes, I completely understand that and how your parents would definitely want to be cautious. Is there anything particular youā€™d want to research? Research is one of my better skills and I may have some good resources or some ideas at least:)

And I donā€™t mind sharing the names of my cast in the least! In fact, Iā€™m glad to really. The protagonistā€™s name is Mejia, (I have to find a Russian variant of that name since she is Russian, but the name is Spanish. But I like it too much to just get rid of, so when I finish drafting, I may just invent a way to spell it differentlyā€¦ yeah long story XD ). The four other MCs/immediate cast are Filip (comrade/future love interest), Anton (friend/doctor), Lila (adopted sister), and Morio (closest friend/kindred spirit/betrayer). The main villain is Artur Rogozin and of course, there are several other minor characters and such:) Oh me too! I love names:)
                (I love the bird on your Profile Banner by the way:)

Ā 

Ā 

Elfwing
                @elfwing

@abigail-m

Yeah, weā€™re going from Alberta to Nova Scotia! leaving in two days.

yeah, guys are tough to understand for sure! To be honest, if I write about them its usually from the perspective of their sisters/female relatives because 1st person is too hard XD

I actually find guys easier to understand for the most part, but thatā€™s likely because I grew up around three who were like big brothers lol. Yeah guy MCs are fun, I usually do their decisions/declarations from the otherā€™s POV XD

and yeah, I wouldnā€™t do one from only a guyā€™s POV because Iā€™d feel like I wasnā€™t doing them justice. XD

Thanks! Glad you like my sideplots!

Good advice about the beta readers. Yes, I plan on professional editing IF I publish it. Honestly, the series I just wrote has six little novels, and Iā€™d likely try those because people whoā€™ve even just read blurbs/scenes from it absolutely love it and the readers who got to the end say the beginning to end is good, and so Iā€™d try those if I did anything. I even specifically ask, and they always have something good. Oh! well, I did actually add a new beta reader; sheā€™s someone I donā€™t personally know (contact through a friend) and she literally writes paragraphs on chapters she reads, so Iā€™m hoping that since sheā€™s also a bookworm and very critical of books that sheā€™ll have a more unbiased view of it.

So far sheā€™s read four chapters, and through emails forwarded by my friend, Iā€™ve read her opinion of it, and sheā€™s asked all the questions I was hoping she would and her view of the characters is amusing and also hopeful since I have some mysterious people in there and I want to know if theyā€™re mysterious enough XD.

Thanks for the tips on the rejections! thatā€™ll help me keep it in perspective. Iā€™ve never read War and Peace, I should put it on my list lol.

As far as research: thank you so much for the offer! I suck at research XD

šŸ˜€ well, I would love to find some resources on good editing and also finding a good editor and how to go about publishing if/when I try it in a couple several years. Also, just finding good websites with good articles on writing skills in general. Iā€™m so excited I found Kingdom Pen for this reason, but just to expand my knowledge and resource options. I can never seem to find anything Iā€™m looking for. Maybe I just donā€™t know how XD

Oh man! I love those names!!! Oooo Mejia is a Spanish/Sephardic jew name is it not?? sorry, I am excited. My family has Sephardic Jew in our background. XD

Oh I love the name Filip, thatā€™s awesome! Those names are all epic!!! Oooo kindred spirit/betrayers are the best!!! XD I donā€™t know why Artur sounds so much better than Arthur but it does XDDD and Lila is so pretty! sounds like you picked perfect names!

Iā€™ve gotta say my favorite names I have heard so far are Klarissa and Elaine. Theyā€™re beautiful names. And I love the name Rowan, as well as Eric

my favorite name I have made up is Kumkhad, taken from the Gaelic word for powerful.

Thanks! I like my birds. XD I canā€™t remember what kind that one is.

Abigail.M.
                  @abigail-m

@elfwing

Thatā€™s awesome that youā€™re moving to Nova Scotia!:D

That sounds awesome and six novels? Wow, thatā€™s incredible šŸ˜€ And from what Iā€™m hearing about them, you should definitely try and publish after you polished them as much as possible, (but remember that there actually is an ā€˜enough is enoughā€™ point. I know that sounds strange, but trust me, while you should make a piece as good as it can be, it can be a huge temptation to just polish it forever and not send it out or move on to the next project *cough* not that Iā€™m speaking from experience or anything).

No problem! Research is my middle name and I love helping all you amazing writers out from time to time when I can!:D And I just happen to have some resources on hand for all those questions:)
                    As far as finding an editor and editing, Iā€™d try Reedsy. They have editors, designers, marketers, formatting, typesetting, articles, courses, and other features that are totally worth checking out.
                    For writing articles Iā€™d completely recommend Now Novel. Novel Factory has some good articles too and Authors Publish has an awesome email subscription that sends you writing/publishing opportunities.

Thank you! Yes, Mejia is a Spanish/Sephardic Jew name, (which is why Iā€™ll sadly have to change it someday since the character is Russian *sigh*) But thank you! I love the name a lot (which is why I havenā€™t had the heart to change it) and thatā€™s so cool that your family has Sephardic Jew in your background šŸ˜€ šŸ˜€

Ooh, those ARE awesome names, Iā€™ve always loved the name Eric as well:D And Kumkhad? That name is just too awesome:)

Elfwing
                    @elfwing

Thanks! Move went well!

Thank you, Iā€™d like to try. Iā€™m actually going through my 1st draft and realizing ā€œoh my word! this character is waaaay too elusive!ā€ like, sheā€™s orphaned, yes, but her adopted family is sort of ā€˜thereā€™ and not there. Like, her cousins are mentioned, but they never come into the story! XD that annoyed me XD so I have added some of her family. the one side of the family has only sons for over seven generations, so the cousins are very protective of her, naturally XD

and yeah, adding her uncles, alas, I admit I have a ā€˜crazy uncleā€™ in there, but he is the only one whoā€™s really figured out what happens when Faeda disappears. XD Good olā€™ uncle Duellihk

Thanks for the editor advice! I shall be checking that out!

And thats too bad about the name; I mean, what if she has a different real name but she goes by Mejia? Anything is possible? *puppy dog eyes *

sorry, XD I fall in love with good charries easily if you didnā€™t notice XD

But hey thatā€™s a cool name and now is in your arsenal of stuff for writing, I suppose

Ā 

Elfwing
                      @elfwing

@abigail-m

sorry forgot to tag you on the response XD

Abigail.M.
                        @abigail-m

@elfwing

Thatā€™s awesome to hear! Iā€™m glad the move went well:)
                          Ah yes XD Some of my characters do the same thing sometimes, my villain became so elusive, (probably because I had ignored him for a while), that he kind of disappeared. But Iā€™m sure that your work is amazing:D

That is a good idea and definitely worth consideration and you are so right, anything is possible!:)

(I love your new tagline! XD ).

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Abigail.M..
                          Elfwing
                          @elfwing

@abigail-m

yeah itā€™s so easy for me to have the character completely planned out to the point I know them ā€œall their lifeā€ and forget that the readers donā€™t lol

thanks! I hope soā€¦ at any rate a couple people love it, so thatā€™s all I need to keep going. Wellā€¦Ā that and huge mugs of tea and lots of dark chocolate šŸ˜‚

Well your MC will be amazing no matter what her name! I hope you find a great one

i donā€™t know if Tara is Russian, but it means strong tower or something like that in Gaelic and itā€™s a beautiful name and if I remember correctly it is the name of a Russian townā€¦ idk if that is helpful or not XD

haha thanks, I love chocolate XD

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          >