My WIP (historical fiction)

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Critique Requests My WIP (historical fiction)

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    Sara
    @savannah_grace2009
      • Total Posts: 1995

@trailblazer

WHY DO I KEEP SPELLING YOUR TAG WRONG?!?!?!

Lukas&Livia
      #Lalbert
      Sef&Chase
      #HOTTOLINE
      LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Trailblazer
      @trailblazer
        • Total Posts: 606

@vinagirl (plz tell me if you don’t want me to tag you every time time I post another scene) @hybridlore @svannah_grace2009

More!!

I still couldn’t bring myself to approach Etta as the harvest season arrived. Out of politeness, I attended the cornshuckings with all the other young people, but it felt like the fun was sucked out of them. Every time I saw Etta and Chester dancing, a fresh pang of jealousy and betrayal hit my heart like an arrow. I danced with a few boys, but only because I didn’t want to appear rude. Chester tried to approach me several times, but I always slipped away and busied myself when I saw him coming. I couldn’t talk to him.

There were some days when I would talk to God as I was picking pumpkins or digging up carrots, and I thought I could almost go to Etta and talk to her. But I never quite got up the courage, and the each time I saw her with Chester, the pain rushed right back in.

I spent more time with Lillian, and though she didn’t push me to make amends with Etta and Chester, I knew she wanted to. I could see it in her eyes, but I was glad she wasn’t nagging me.

Sara, too, was becoming a closer friend, although I didn’t confide in her as much as I did to Lillian. If not for their friendship, I would have been dreadfully lonely.

One time we were at a barn-raising for a family who had arrived in the area that year. Lillian, Sara, and I had brought some of our knitting along while the men worked on the barn. As we sat off to the side, I noticed Etta hesitantly approaching.

“Hi, Lillian, Sara,” she greeted the other girls. Casting a sideways glance, she added, “Hello, Libbie.”

“Hello, Etta.” The words came out colder than I intended, and an awkward silence fell among our group. I ducked my head and focused on my knitting. I heard the rustle of Etta’s skirts as she sat down next to Sara. As the other girls traded how-do-you-do’s and made small talk, I stayed silent, only casting so much as a glance at Etta every now and then.

Lillian’s eyes met mine, a hopeful, pleading gaze. I sighed and lowered my eyes. I knew she wanted me to at least try to make conversation with Etta, but I didn’t know what to say to her. The distance between us was far greater than the two yards that separated us physically.

Only when it came time for the meal did Etta leave to join Chester, and I felt some of the tension begin to dissipate.

You should make things right, I told myself. Then it wouldn’t be so awkward.

I sighed. Easier said than done.

Over the winter, I spent much of my time indoors, sewing and knitting. It was the first year that Clara wasn’t with us, and I missed her company over the long winter days. Yet, perhaps it was for the better, for my internal conversations with God grew more and more frequent. As was consistent with His nature, He began to gently peel away the bandages I had slapped over my wounds. My eyes opened to see the selfishness of my own actions, and I realized this whole situation was just as much my fault as Etta’s. A new softness grew in my heart as I recognized the truth and asked for His forgiveness.

But there was still something else I had to do, someone else to forgive. Etta.

"Real love is for your good, not for your comfort." -Justin Whitmel Earley

Trailblazer
        @trailblazer

@savannah_grace2009

LOLLLL now it’s my turn to mispell your tag

Sara
          @savannah_grace2009

@trailblazer

Awww poor Etta!

Lukas&Livia
            #Lalbert
            Sef&Chase
            #HOTTOLINE
            LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Sara
            @savannah_grace2009

Idk why but I just feel bad for Etta XD

Lukas&Livia
              #Lalbert
              Sef&Chase
              #HOTTOLINE
              LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Trailblazer
              @trailblazer

@savannah_grace2009

Here ya go, while I’m here I might as well give you more.

As the winter thawed into spring, I knew it was time to make things right. I crossed the fields to the Cullivers’ house, and as I approached, I saw Etta’s petite figure working in the garden. She didn’t hear me coming until I was about ten feet away.

“Good day, Etta,” I greeted her. She spun around, her eyes widening as she saw me. The hoe that had been in her grasp slipped to the dirt.

“Libbie! Is something wrong?”

“Our friendship,” I replied. “I miss you, Etta. I want to start over.”

Etta just stared at me in disbelief.

“Etta, I’m really sorry,” I went on. “I was so selfish. I was caught up in my own fantasies and so absorbed in my own feelings that I didn’t even take yours into consideration. Will you forgive me?” I hadn’t expected it to be so hard to apologize and ask forgiveness for my own actions.

“I forgive you,” Etta replied softly. “I’m sorry, too, Libbie. I promise, I never meant to hurt you like I did. I just thought… I don’t know, it was a stupid decision to go behind your back like I did. I hope you’ll forgive me, too.”

I swallowed around the lump in my throat. “I forgive you.”

“I hope, someday, we’ll be as close as we used to be,” Etta went on. “I know it’ll take time to earn back trust, but truthfully, I miss you.”

I stepped closer and embraced my old friend. It felt so good to hug her again that tears started pouring down my face. And as the tears fell, the wound in my heart slowly closed. Not completely, but it was a start. We stood in each other’s arms for a long time, weeping, and when we finally pulled back, Etta looked into my eyes.

“I think you should talk to Chester,” she said. “Fix things with him, too. Remember all the fun we used to have, you and me and George and Chester? It hasn’t been the same since you stopped spending time with us.”

“Oh, I couldn’t talk to Chester,” I replied quickly, heat rising into my cheeks. “What happened is embarrassing enough as it is. I don’t know if I could face him.”

“He misses your friendship, too,” Etta said. “Last fall during the cornshuckings, he told me he missed dancing with you. You two always did so well in the competitions together.”

“Wouldn’t it bother you if Chester danced with me?” I asked.

“Not at all. I know how he feels about me, and I know how he feels about you. He enjoyed your friendship, even if your feelings of attraction to him weren’t mutual. I think he would be glad if you talked to him.”

“I’ll think about it,” I told her. “I should be getting home. But I hope we can talk again soon.”

“Me, too,” Etta agreed. “See you, Libbie.”

Sara
                @savannah_grace2009

@trailblazer

Wait, so is Etta and Chester dating? I can’t remember XD

And I love it!!! It’s so perfect <333

Lukas&Livia
                  #Lalbert
                  Sef&Chase
                  #HOTTOLINE
                  LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Trailblazer
                  @trailblazer

@savannah_grace2009

Yes, but they probably would have called it courting back then. That’s why Libbie was so upset with Etta to start off with, because Etta started seeing Chester without telling her what was going on. And Etta had already known that Libbie had a crush on Chester.

Sara
                    @savannah_grace2009

@trailblazer

Okay, I just couldn’t remember if they were courting or not. It’s been a while since I’ve read this XD

I kinda want Chester to change his mind and court Libbie, but it would also really hurt Etta and would cause more drama so I don’t at the same time. lol!

Lukas&Livia
                      #Lalbert
                      Sef&Chase
                      #HOTTOLINE
                      LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Trailblazer
                      @trailblazer

@savannah_grace2009 @hybridlore @vinagirl

Okkkk this is one of my favorite scenes I’ve written thus far!

May 1887

I knew Albert would be coming home soon, at least, that had been his plan when he left a year ago. Not that I’d heard anything from him since he had gone. I didn’t know exactly when he was coming back, until one Sunday I saw him sitting with his family in church. After the service, Mama got into a conversation with several of the other women, and James, Abe, and George started off towards home. Pa struck up a conversation with Dr. Richardson while he waited for Mama, and I wanted to talk with Clara, but she was trapped in a conversation with Miss Warner. I moved under a tree to wait until Clara was available, and observed the comings and goings of the churchfolk. I saw Chester and Etta setting off down the road, and watched them shrink as they moved into the distance. I still hadn’t convinced myself to talk with Chester and make things right, but at least my friendship with Etta was on the mend.

“Well, it looks like you’ve finally become a woman, Libbie Hopkins.” The familiar voice caused an unfamiliar flip-flop in my stomach. I spun to see Albert standing beside me, his hands in his trouser pockets. For once, he seemed like he’d finally mellowed out a little. Perhaps the year away had turned him into a man. “I can’t tug your braid anymore,” he added, a sly grin on his face. After Lillian started wearing her hair up, I did, too- the telltale sign of womanhood.

“Albert.” I didn’t know what else to say. I felt my heart starting to flutter just slightly. Albert had always been good-looking, but today, dressed in his Sunday suit, he looked impressive. His strong jaw was clean shaven and his hair combed back neatly, and his eyes still carried that mischievous twinkle, but something in them felt older, wiser. I felt a twinge of guilt as I remembered what I had last said to him right before he left a year ago. I swallowed, knowing I owed him an apology.

“Albert?” I said nervously. “I want to apologize for what I said to you before you left last year. It was heartless, and I never should have said it.”

Albert cleared his throat. “Apology accepted,” he said. “I’m sorry for being so bold in my assumptions and not taking your feelings into consideration. There was a lot I didn’t know a year ago.”

After a few minutes of silence, Albert spoke up again. “I know you weren’t interested in me romantically, but maybe… maybe we could be friends again?”

“I can at least do that much,” I replied. I was genuinely surprised by the change I saw in Albert, and I wasn’t sure how to feel about it. I’d never imagined he could be a gentleman, or mature enough to admit his mistakes, but I was seeing a new side of him I’d never noticed before.

Albert smiled. “It’s good to be home again.”

“It’s good to have you back.”

hybridlore
                        @hybridlore
                          • Total Posts: 1359

@trailblazer Aww!!! 🥰 Yeah, I’m team Albert and Libbie.

There is always light behind the clouds.
                          - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

Raegan Aubrey
                          @vinagirl
                            • Total Posts: 57

@trailblazer

OH.

MY.

GOODNESS.

SAKES.

ALIVE.

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

team libbie and albert here! oh its so good! Your writing style is so consistent and its got the perfect 1800s vibe. i cannot tell you how much i love it! yes keep tagging me please! im excited for updates.

Sara
                            @savannah_grace2009

@trailblazer

I LOVE THIS….IF LIBBIE DOESN’T MARRY ALBERT…I’M GONNA CRY….

#LALBERT

XD

you’re welcome

Lukas&Livia
                              #Lalbert
                              Sef&Chase
                              #HOTTOLINE
                              LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Sara
                              @savannah_grace2009

Or maybe #Albie?

Lukas&Livia
                                #Lalbert
                                Sef&Chase
                                #HOTTOLINE
                                LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Trailblazer
                                @trailblazer

@vinagirl

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

team libbie and albert here! oh its so good! Your writing style is so consistent and its got the perfect 1800s vibe.

Thanks! I went through a huge Laura Ingalls Wilder phase as a child, so it’s only natural that I write a story along the same lines.

@savannah_grace2009

#LALBERT

#Albie

LOL I can’t decide which one of those is better.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 128 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >