My WIP (historical fiction)

Home Page › Forums › Fiction Writing › Critiques › Novel Critique Requests › My WIP (historical fiction)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    Sara
    @savannah_grace2009
      • Total Posts: 1984

@trailblazer

Okay, that’s probably better anyway haha! But the suspense is killing me! I love good romance, so right now for some reason I really want Libbie and Albert to become a “thing”. lol.

Lukas&Livia
      #Lalbert
      Sef&Chase
      #HOTTOLINE
      LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

hybridlore
      @hybridlore
        • Total Posts: 1354

@savannah_grace2009

Thanks! 😁

There is always light behind the clouds.
        - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

Trailblazer
        @trailblazer
          • Total Posts: 595

@savannah_grace2009 @hybridlore Here, I’ll post you some more.

The first day of school arrived at long last. I pulled out my pinafore to cover the front of my dress, and thought of how long it had been since I’d worn it. My hair was braided neatly in two braids, and I scrubbed my face clean. My shoes no longer fit me, and Mama said we’d have to go to town to get new shoes before winter set in. For today, though, my brothers and I were still going barefoot. I helped Mama pack up our lunches, and then Abe and George and I set off in the direction of town, dried brown prairie grass flattening under our feet. We intersected with the Cullivers, and Albert greeted me as he usually did by tugging on my braid. I ignored him. The more he did it, the less he yanked, but I didn’t want to give him any reaction to encourage it. Mattie was holding Etta’s hand as they walked along, and Oscar ran ahead. Albert gave Abe a slap on the back.

“How are you doing, pal?” he asked.

“Swell, how about you?”

“Swell,” Albert replied. “I’d rather be home than in school, but it’s only for the winter, so I guess I can deal with it.”

Two miles later, we arrived in town, and walked down the main street until we reached the schoolhouse at the other end. The youngest children were playing a game with a ball in the sideyard, while some of the older girls were standing under a tree. I saw several older guys on the other side of the schoolhouse fooling around with each other.

As we approached the schoolhouse, I felt the eyes of the older girls following us. A knot twisted in my stomach, and nervously I edged closer to Abe. Sensing my discomfort, Abe set a reassuring hand on my shoulder and gave a gentle squeeze. We climbed the steps to the schoolhouse and entered. In the coatroom, we left our lunch pails on the shelf.

Abe led the way into the main schoolroom and down the aisle to the teacher’s desk. The schoolmaster, Mr. Stoner, turned our way upon hearing our footsteps. His dark eyes flashed like daggers, and his sharp nose ended at the neatly trimmed mustache on his upper lip. His posture was ramrod straight, and his hair was slicked back. His suit was impeccable, and he held a pointer in his hand. I immediately disliked him, and the knot of dread in my stomach tightened.

“Hello, sir,” Abe said bravely. I could tell he was intimidated by our teacher, too. “Today is our first day.”

“Hello,” Mr. Stoner replied, his sharp eyes scanning us up and down. “What schooling have you had before?”

We each shared what we’d learned and Mr. Stoner placed us in grades accordingly. He assigned each of us seats, and to my relief, I was sharing a desk with Etta. As we sat down and put our books and slates on our desk, Mr. Stoner rang the bell, and the chatter of students and rush of footsteps entered the building. I could feel more curious stares as the other students took their seats.

Mr. Stoner cleared his throat, and a hush fell over the room. His presence commanded silence; no one dared to breathe a word.

“We shall begin with arithmetic,” Mr. Stoner announced. Throughout the morning, we finished arithmetic and moved on to penmanship. We were dismissed for recess at noon, and I grabbed my lunch pail off the shelf eagerly. Etta trailed me as I descended the steps and looked for a place to eat. The other girls our age had clustered in a group under a nearby tree and were sitting in a circle. For a fleeting moment, I thought about going over and asking if I could join them, but that thought quickly faded. None of them even gave us so much as a glance. Our brothers had already joined some of the other boys, and Mattie was chattering away with her desk partner. Again I felt a pang of loneliness as I thought of how I had eaten lunch every day with Elizabeth and our other friends. Back east, I had a place where I belonged. Here, I was an outsider.

“Let’s sit here on the steps,” Etta suggested. So we sat down on the second to last step and opened up our lunch pails. I lifted out a sandwich and an apple and began to eat.

“I want to go home,” Etta confided. “I don’t like it here. Mr. Stoner scares me, and no one seems to like us.”

“It’s only the first day,” I tried to reassure her- and myself. “I’m sure some of the other girls will warm up to us once we’ve been here a week or two.” I didn’t say anything about Mr. Stoner, because I didn’t think I could convince either of us that having Mr. Stoner as a teacher would be a good thing.

“That’s Jennie Keith,” Etta told me, dipping her chin toward one of the girls who was animatedly sharing something with the other girls. “I met her a few weeks ago at church. Her father runs the inn and tavern, and you can tell they must be well off for how nice her dress looks.” Jennie indeed seemed to be the center of attention, and rightly so, for her long brown hair almost shimmered, and her pretty brown eyes were highlighted by her long lashes. She had a dimple when she smiled, and she seemed to thrive on all the attention.

“Looks like she has them all wrapped around her finger,” I muttered.

All too soon, our hour recess came to an end, and Mr. Stoner rang the bell to call us all back inside. The next two hours dragged on in silence- until the boy across the aisle from me and Etta grew fidgety. When Mr. Stoner had his back turned, Charley released a spitball that hit my cheek. I winced and swiped my face, and Charley had trouble holding back his snickering. Mr. Stoner seemed to sense the movement behind him and turned around, his piercing eyes scanning the room until they landed on Charley.

“Did you have something to say, Mr. Arnold?” he asked. Charley shook his head. “Then I suggest you pay attention to the lesson,” Mr. Stoner added. “Unless you prefer to stand up here where you can see better.”

Charley was the first one out of the classroom when school was dismissed for the day. I was just glad to go home. As we walked the two miles back home, I felt a slight feeling of dread at the thought of doing this all over again tomorrow.

The next few days went similarly to the first. On our last day of school for the week, Etta and I sat down to eat on the steps as we’d been doing every day. When I opened up my lunch pail, I frowned.

“What happened to the cookie Mama put in here?” I asked. “Did I grab the wrong lunch pail?”

Etta examined her lunch. “I’m missing my egg,” she said. “And I’m sure this is my pail. It has the dent on the side.”

I glanced around the schoolyard to see if anyone else had noticed food missing from their lunches. That’s when I noticed Charley lounging under a tree, munching on a cookie… my cookie. In his other hand was Etta’s hardboiled egg. I was sure of it.

“That Charley,” I growled. “He stole from our lunches.” As if on cue, Charley seemed to sense us watching him and glanced up. He grinned wickedly and kept right on eating.

“I want to go home,” Etta complained. “I hate school.” I said nothing.

The next week, twice more we had food missing from our lunches. And twice more, we saw Charley eating it under the tree, a devilish grin on his face.

One day Charley was more restless than usual, and busied himself throwing spitballs at me and Etta whenever Mr. Stoner had his back turned. Finally Albert had had enough of Charley bullying us, and just as Charley was preparing to launch another spitball, he lunged forward and grabbed Charley by the shoulders. In surprise, Charley yelped, and Mr. Stoner spun around.

“Albert Culliver, what is the meaning of this?” he barked.

“Charley was launching-”

“Get in the corner. Now!”

“But sir-”

Mr. Stoner strode down the aisle and brought his ruler down on Albert’s hand with a firm smack. Albert winced, and I winced right along with him.

“You will not talk back to me, young man! Get in the corner!”

Albert stood and marched resolutely to the corner, holding his chin high. Charley was the one who deserved the corner, and most of the students in the classroom could see that. Anger burned in me as I saw Charley smirking in his seat. It bothered me to see Albert unjustly punished when Mr. Stoner hadn’t even let him defend his actions.

We all had plenty to say about that during our walk home. By the time we’d made it home, I’d blown off steam, but it still didn’t sit right with me.

One afternoon as we were being dismissed, I was gathering up my things when I realized the pocket Bible I carried everywhere with me was missing. Mama and Pa had given it to me for my birthday, and I had grown accustomed to bringing it with me to school every day. I searched my desk and underneath, then looked on the shelves in the entry and even inside my lunch pail. There was no sign of my Bible.

As my brothers and the Cullivers and I descended the steps of the schoolhouse and began making our way to the road home, Charley caught up to us at the edge of the schoolyard. He was waving my small pocket Bible with an evil glint in his eyes.

“Is this yours?” he asked, holding it out to me.

“Yes,” I said, reaching for it. Charley pulled it back out of reach.

“What’ll ya give me for it?” he asked.

“That’s mine,” I said. “I don’t have anything to give you.”

“Then I guess it’s mine now,” Charley taunted. He dangled it within reach again, but when I reached for it, he yanked it away.

“Leave Libbie be.” Abe’s voice boomed beside me as he stepped closer to Charley. Abe was a good deal bigger than Charley, and Albert stepped up on his other side.

“Give that back,” he demanded, “Or I’ll wring your neck.”

“Albert! Don’t say things like that,” young Mattie scolded, sounding very much like her mother.

Charley swung his head back and forth, glancing at first Abe and then Albert. He was only two years younger than the older boys, but he was scrawny. When he didn’t hand over the Bible right away, Albert picked him up over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes.

“Ahhh!” Charley cried. “Put me down!”

Abe grabbed my Bible from his hands, but Albert didn’t put Charley down yet. Charley beat his fists against Albert’s back, but it didn’t do him any good.

“I should tie you upside down from that tree and see how long it takes you to wiggle free,” he said.

“No!” Charley cried. “Put me down!”

“Then don’t bother Libbie or Etta again, hear me?” Albert demanded.

“I promise I won’t! Just put me down!”

With a grunt, Albert lowered Charley to the ground, and Charley took off running.

“I don’t think he’ll bother you again any time soon,” Albert said.

“So long as we’re around,” Abe put in.

(End of the segment)

"Real love is for your good, not for your comfort." -Justin Whitmel Earley

Sara
          @savannah_grace2009

@trailblazer

I hate misunderstandings with teachers! That’s the worst! I feel so bad for Albert 🙁 and I’m so happy they protected Libbie and Etta!

Lukas&Livia
            #Lalbert
            Sef&Chase
            #HOTTOLINE
            LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Trailblazer
            @trailblazer

@savannah_grace2009

One thing I like about these scenes is that it gives a little more of a glimpse of Libbie’s relationship with her brother Abe. I feel like he’s not a very well developed character in the story, but I want to find a way to change that.

Sara
              @savannah_grace2009

@trailblazer

Yeah, for sure! If you want to develop characters more, character questionaires have really helped me. Here’s one I found and have used: https://www.novel-software.com/character-questionnaire/

I love everyone’s personality and how the older brothers want to protect their little sisters. It’s so sweet!

Lukas&Livia
                #Lalbert
                Sef&Chase
                #HOTTOLINE
                LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Trailblazer
                @trailblazer

@savannah_grace2009 Thanks! I will definitely check that out!

hybridlore
                  @hybridlore

@trailblazer

Looks good! 😁 aw, poor Albert!

Trailblazer
                    @trailblazer

@hybridlore @savannah_grace2009

This next section I’m gonna post is one that needs a little more fleshing out as well. It’s short, and you’ll be able to see it feels more like a summary than really telling the story. If you have any ideas of scenarios I could fit in here or things you think should happen with the characters, let me know!

Over the winter, Charley kept his distance from us, although when our brothers weren’t watching, he often stuck out his tongue at Etta and me. None of the other girls reached out to us, Jennie leading the girls around like a gaggle of geese.

On the colder days, James hitched his horse to the wagon and Abe drove us all to school. On the days with fairer weather, we walked. When it snowed, we stayed home.

There was always something to be done at home. Mama, Clara, and I kept busy sewing and mending clothes, and Pa and the boys worked on carving a wooden table and chairs. Often in the evenings, we’d gather around the fire and talk. Pa often talked about his plans for the next year, how he wanted to first build a barn as soon as the weather would permit, so that the animals would have better shelter from the wolves and wind. Then he talked of planting crops and building an addition on to the cabin, to give Mama a proper kitchen and expand the loft. He would have to haul in lumber from town, but he hoped that the crop would bring in enough to help pay for it. James didn’t often say a lot, but I knew he was thinking of building his own soddy on the property in the next year or two. He was practically a grown man now, and I could sense his increasing desire for independence. Clara didn’t often say much, and when she did, it was usually a sarcastic comment. She’d been sulky ever since we left home in Pennsylvania, complaining of the conditions. I had a feeling she never would’ve come with us if she had known it would be this hard, that our home would be this small and we’d be starting from almost scratch. Her biggest complaint was that there were no suitable young men for her; she didn’t want to marry a farmer and live in a soddy or another crudely made log home.

When we’d all talked ourselves through, Mama read from the Bible and we had a time of prayer together, thanking God for His protection over us and asking His continued provision on our lives.

When the weather began warming up, Pa bought some lumber from the lumber shop in town, and as soon as school let out, we hosted a barn-raising. Wagons began rolling in early on the day Pa had set, neighbors coming from near and far to join in. While the men and boys set to work on the barn, the women prepared food to lay out in the back of the wagons for lunch. Some of the older girls were sent to watch the younger children as they played games. I didn’t see Jennie or Ruth or Sadie, and I presumed it was because they all lived in town and their pa’s had businesses to run.

“Libbie, why don’t you and Etta take Lillian and Sara down to the soddy to look at the animals?” Mama prompted. I didn’t want to. Lillian and Sara hung out with Jennie and her friends, and they already had plenty of reasons to look down on me. Lillian had a curvy figure that I envied, and her long brown curls danced in the wind. Sara was petite and seemed frail, her body thin and features dainty.

Nevertheless, I took them to the soddy to see our animals. Blaze was James’ horse, and we still had our two oxen, plus Molly, our milk cow. Mama wanted to buy some chickens just as soon as we could afford them and build a coop.

We had a grand old time eating a hearty lunch, and the barn’s walls were up already. By the time evening was upon us, the roof was being finished. We feasted and celebrated, and gathered inside the barn. Josiah Deshner, a young bachelor, had brought his fiddle, and strung up some lively tunes that set folks to dancing.

“Josiah’s a fine fellow,” I teased, sidling up next to my sister Clara, who was standing at the edge of the barn with her arms crossed, trying to enjoy the festivities but having a hard time of it. “He’d make a good husband for you.”

“Humph,” Clara snorted. “I heard he barely had a crop last year. How’s he supposed to provide for a family if he can’t even farm? Besides, I don’t want to be a farmer’s wife.”

“Oh come on, Clara, loosen up,” I coaxed. “You’re never going to find a husband if you’re going to be disagreeable and not even give anyone a chance.”

All around us, skirts flew and boots stomped as bodies whirled to the music. Josiah’s body dipped with the movements of his arm as he played the fiddle with vigor, and the grin on his face was brighter than the sun at midday. He caught me watching him and winked.

“Come on, Libbie, let’s dance!” The next thing I knew, Albert had grabbed my arm and pulled me into the fray. I really didn’t want to dance with Albert, but I had to admit he wasn’t a bad dancer. He could pull off a jig as well as anyone. And to be honest, I enjoyed myself. As we danced, I caught a glimpse of Mama and Pa. Mama’s eyes were bright and cheeks flushed, and Pa’s laughter boomed out as they kept pace with the music.

Late that night, the music stopped and everyone piled into their wagons to leave. Not a soul had energy left for another dance, and we were all ready to sleep. It had been a good day, and I was thankful to God for an opportunity to have fun after all the hardships we’d endured.

Soon after, it was time to begin planting. Mama, Clara, and I began planting the garden, while Pa, James, Abe, and George started the fields of corn, wheat, and hay.

hybridlore
                      @hybridlore

@trailblazer

I don’t think it’s too summary-y, lol. It fits the style so far very well! I would’ve maybe liked to see the scene with Libbie hanging out with Sara, Lillian, and Etta in a non-summary kind of style, but if they’re not major characters, I think this works best. Great job so far, I’m really enjoying it! 😁

Trailblazer
                        @trailblazer

@hybridlore Thanks! I’m glad you’re enjoying it!

I definitely want to try to show some more interactions between Libbie/Etta and some of the other girls from school (Lillian, Sara, Jennie, etc.). I just need to figure out what sub-plots I could work in.

Sara
                          @savannah_grace2009

@trailblazer

I love the story! I agree with @hybridlore that it wasn’t too summary-y but it would be nice to see how the interaction with Lillian Sara and Jennie went.

I love the dancing scene! I love Libbie and Albert, they’re so cute together! (It’s fine if that’s not what you’re going for but I just like “shipping” people in my stories and other people’s stories so sorry not sorry, lol)

Lukas&Livia
                            #Lalbert
                            Sef&Chase
                            #HOTTOLINE
                            LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Trailblazer
                            @trailblazer

@savannah_grace2009

Haha, you’re fine! Let your imagination take you wherever you want, maybe it’ll produce more ideas I could end up using at some point lol.

Trailblazer
                              @trailblazer

@savannah_grace2009 @hybridlore

Some more…

Summer 1884

I wished Mama would let me drop out of school, even though I was only fourteen. Since all the crops were planted, we returned to school, but this time Albert and Abe stayed behind. The first day we went back, George dragged his feet.

“Come on, George!” I turned around and walked backwards. “You know Mr. Stoner won’t tolerate it if we’re late.”

“I don’t care if I’m late,” George grumbled. His voice was just beginning to change. “Besides, Mr. Stoner skipped town. Didn’t you hear Mama talking with Mrs. Carson last Sunday? They hired a new schoolteacher.”

“Hallelujah!” I turned back around and continued my steady pace to the junction where we would meet Etta, Oscar, and Mattie. I hoped this new teacher would be nicer than Mr. Stoner had been. Maybe school would become a little more bearable.

I spotted the Cullivers approaching, and ran ahead to greet Etta. We embraced, and as we kept walking towards town, I brought up the subject of the new teacher.

“Did you hear that Mr. Stoner’s gone?”

Etta’s eyes lit up. “Yes, and good riddance,” she said, tossing her head. “School can’t be half so bad if we get a good teacher.”

“If only some of the other girls would start talking to us,” I added.

“We have each other,” Etta reminded me. “I’m thankful for that.”

“Me, too,” I agreed. Truly I was thankful for her friendship. Surviving school with Mr. Stoner and being shunned by the other girls had driven us together. I looped my arm through Etta’s as we walked.

When we arrived at school, we went straight inside to put our lunch pails on the shelf. I hesitated, then realized Abe wasn’t there to lead the way, so I entered the schoolroom. Our teacher was a pretty blond, with her hair pulled up in a fashionable chignon on her head.

“Hello,” she greeted us warmly. “I’m Miss Abigail Stewart. Have you been to school here before?” She reached for the record book Mr. Stoner had left.

“Yes, we started last term,” I replied. “I’m Libbie Hopkins, and this is my brother George.”

Miss Stewart put a tiny mark beside our names. “And you?” She looked up at Etta.

“Etta Culliver, and my brother Oscar and sister Mattie,” she said.

“Splendid. You all appear to be good students. I look forward to getting to know you better,” Miss Stewart smiled. “Go on outside until the bell rings.”

“Do we have the same seats as last time?” George ventured to ask.

“Oh!” Miss Stewart looked at her roster and then at the classroom. “I think if you all just move a row back from where you were last time, that will do. I can make adjustments later if needed.”

We set down our slates and books and went outside. Etta and I sat down under a tree and observed the cluster of girls around Jennie, as they giggled and shot glances in the direction of the boys.

“Did any of them get too old?” Etta wondered.

“I don’t think there were any girls in Abe and Albert’s grade,” I reasoned. “But isn’t Jennie a grade ahead of us?”

“I think so,” Etta agreed. “That would mean this winter is probably her last term.”

“Maybe when she leaves some of the other girls will start being friendlier to us.”

Miss Stewart rang the bell to start the school day, and all the students swarmed inside to take their seats. Once again, Charley was seated the next aisle over from me, and it suddenly occurred to me that Abe and Albert were no longer there to scare him. A tiny knot started to form in my stomach. Miss Stewart was a blessing, but the trade-off was no more brotherly protection from Charley.

Two days later, Miss Stewart was just beginning class when she opened her desk drawer, turned pale, and slammed it shut. She pinched her lips together and set her hands on her hips, scanning the room.

“Now would anyone be so kind as to tell me who put the frogs in my desk?”

No one answered. I cast a withering look across the aisle towards Charley. Who else would be brash enough to do something like that? Several other students turned to look at Charley, too, who appeared to be holding back laughter. Miss Stewart’s gaze drifted towards him.

“Charley, did you put the frogs in my desk?” she asked.

“No’m,” Charley shook his head.

“Are you lying to me?”

“No’m.”

Miss Stewart looked wary. “If no one confesses, you will all be staying inside for recess today,” she said. Still no one said anything. I was sure it was Charley.

“All right, then,” Miss Stewart said at last. “No recess today. Charley, would you come take these frogs outside, please?”

Charley slowly stood up and shuffled to the front of the room, removing the frogs from the desk and taking his good old time moving towards the door.

No one went to recess that day, eating lunch inside instead and spending the remainder of the time finishing our schoolwork.

Sara
                                @savannah_grace2009

@trailblazer

I love it! Charley annoys me, lol (I’m guessing that’s the point!)

Lukas&Livia
                                  #Lalbert
                                  Sef&Chase
                                  #HOTTOLINE
                                  LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 128 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >