I’m not the only one!

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE I’m not the only one!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Erica
    @starofthenorth
      • Total Posts: 199

@arien

Yo there.

Dark is the Shadow, and yet my heart rejoices.

Arien
      @arien
        • Total Posts: 193

@starofthenorth

Yo sis

Be brave. Be strong. Be bold.
        -Christopher Blakewell

Madelyn
        @madelyn
          • Total Posts: 115

@arien

I know, I know, but I still love asking questions ;P

Ooh, awesome!! Two of those series I haven’t read, so I’ll have to check them out!

Yessss apple cider is amazing 🙂 I’ve had wayyy too much of it in the past week XD Just can’t get enough of it! 😉

Oh yeah, I should have guessed that! Eowyn is a great character! I really should probably reread LOTR again; it’s been a while 😉

Oh, and I’m not sure I knew you liked The Count of Monte Cristo! I love that book too, it’s so incredibly gripping.

Also, I have to ask, how long have you had a cat?? I feel like might have heard you mention it before, but I must have forgotten. Please tell me all about him or her!!! I’m such a cat person! (as you probably know 😉 )

~In Christ Alone My Hope Is Found~

Elishavet Pidyon
          @elishavet-pidyon
            • Total Posts: 1014

I haven’t seen the LOTR movies either, because I’m also sensitive and I agree with you about the characters. From what I know, they completely misunderstood Eowyn. And Faramir.

YES!!! Ugh. I’ve heard the same.

I mean, she was mistaken and proud at times, but on the inside she’s actually struggling with some real fears and insecurities. AND Faramir is one of my all time favorite characters. (Along with Sam, Aragorn, and all the rest of the Fellowship)

Oh and as for their story? I was shocked when I heard they had diminished it to a look. Like, where went all the days of conversation and healing?! Healing?!

Anyway…

And they gave Elves pointed ears! Tolkien never said Elves had pointed ears!

Hmm, I never thought about that. I do like the way they made the Elves look different, if you know what I mean, not like the Men, and that the ears weren’t absurdly pointed. But I will say that the hair bugs me to pieces. (I mean, I get it… But I also don’t. Why, oh why is it so long? XD)

*takes a deep breath* Sorry about that, LOL.

*Takes a breath too* I guess we had better calm down.

Ooh, Screwtape Letters is good. My favorite authors are Tolkien, Rosemary Sutcliff, Victor Hugo, Andrew Peterson, and my sister and my dad, who also both write fantasy. (They’re really good!)

That they are!

Andrew Peterson is amazing. I can’t say I like Victor Hugo, but  I have a lot of respect for his work.

Here’s the pitch for A Dream Come True (my dad wrote this, not me, LOL):

Oh! It sounds super interesting! My imagination is triggered. XD

I like your titles too! What are they about? They sound interesting!

Aww, thank you! As for what they’re about, I’ll see if I can throw together a blurb.

Kingdom of Shadows

Swords cross. Rebelion rises. A kingdom splinters into two, into Light and Darkness. Life and Death. In the Rebellion, the people sold themselves into the hand of the Adversary, but…

The King never left His own to die.

And by His blood, the redemption price is payed. And by his Life, Death is broken. The gift of Life is given to the few brave enough to receive it.

In their ears rings the enduring promise.

The King shall return, and when he does, the Kingdom will be made whole.

Anyway, that’s for the entire series. XD If I go into the specific books, we could be here for a L-O-N-G time. May it suffice for now, that I have Four main characters, Alwin (born a Serf), William (raised a Knight in a false order), Winifrith (daughter of a knight in a true order), and Aethelthryth (daughter of two on the MCs).

I had a blurb for Heir if Ashes so ewhere, but I can’t find it.

Heir of Ashes

Viktor and his two sisters always knew they were adopted, but it didn’t seem to matter. After all, their past disappeared into the flames of bitterness long ago.

Or so they think, until simple questions become a price on their heads. The refuge they had in the island of Yartass becomes a death trap. The only way out is across the sea to Eirtanian, the land of their inheritance. The land of stolen hope. It would seem that to follow the Lord’s purpose in their lives, they must face their greatest fears.

Does any hope remain in the ashes?

Well, there we go! XD

1. My favorite hobby is playing the violin. I also enjoy piano, singing, and embroidery. And, of course, writing, which I actually like more than reading!

Those are all great hobbies. twin sister is learning the violin! It’s a lovely instrument as is the piano. I love to sing, even if my voice isn’t always very nice. I’ve only done a little embroidery (cross stitch), but enjoyed it. And of course I love to write! 😉

2. I love horses, dragons, and cats. My cat can act like a dragon (except for the breathing fire part, LOL) but I don’t want to meet a dragon that acts like a cat!

Neither do I! XD

3. I want to go to Middle Earth, meet Elves, and live with the Rohirrim, or maybe Lestina, my sister’s fantasy world, and meet her characters!

Hmm, good choices. If I went to Middle Earth, I would have to meet the Elves. I feel like I basically already know Aragorn and Legolas, so I’d probably stay in Minas Tirith or Ithilien. (Yeah, I’m not sure on the spelling at the moment.)

Minafinitely the castle! It might be cold though, so I’ll bring a cloak.

Same here!

That’s totally okay, I talk a lot too!

Good. *Sigh of relief*

By the way, I read your definition of the fantasy you write, and I think that’s what Heir of ashes is! KoS is practically the same, but a little different since although there’s not magic, there are unexplainable things because of the power of the King. (It’s an allegory [ish])

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Arien
            @arien

@mineralizedwritings

Ooh, what’s your WIP about? That’s great that you discuss adoption, I think there need to be more books about that.

I can’t seem to figure out how to quote your post, but anyway, I might post some scenes from A Dream Come True in the next couple of days and ask for advice or suggestions!

-Christopher Blakewell

Arien
              @arien

@koshka

Your WIPs sound really interesting! I like your blurbs, good job!

I worked on A Dream Come True for oh, about two years. It started as a short story based on a dream I had (hence one meaning of the title!), but I revised it into a novella, and that took about . . . a little less than a year to rewrite. I had the idea for Swallowtail Summer a really long time ago. I worked on the most recent draft for a few months, took a break when I started rewriting Dream, and have just started it again!

The spice jelly beans are super good! They’re bigger than normal jelly beans. The red ones are cinnamon, the green ones are clove (I think), the yellow ones are ginger . . . I can’t remember all of them. They’re usually in stores around this time of year.

-Christopher Blakewell

Arien
                @arien

@madelyn

Yes, The Count of Monte Cristo is good! Sometime I want to write an article or something about how the quest for revenge is different in The Count and The Lantern Bearers by Rosemary Sutcliff. (You should read it! It’s the third in the Roman Britain Trilogy: The Eagle of the NinthThe Silver Branch, and The Lantern Bearers.)

It’s technically my grandparents’ cat, but he has adopted all of us. His name is Blackie, among other things . . . gatito (Spanish for “kitty”), katze (German), Mr. Cat . . . He rules the house, and he knows it, LOL (He’s just a little bit spoiled! But he’s a black and white tuxedo cat, with extra toes and very long whiskers, and he does tricks! He’s irresistible!)

-Christopher Blakewell

Arien
                  @arien

@elishavet-pidyon

[quote quote=122075]I mean, she was mistaken and proud at times, but on the inside she’s actually struggling with some real fears and insecurities.[/quote]

Yes! Eowyn struggles with depression and fear, like you said, and she’s not a feminist either.

[quote quote=122075]I was shocked when I heard they had diminished it to a look. Like, where went all the days of conversation and healing?! Healing?![/quote]

I know! Faramir’s the one who stands up to Eowyn and tells her to stop trying to die in battle. He’s the one who really heals Eowyn. And the part where Eowyn finally accepts everything and agrees to marry Faramir . . . gives me chills. Every time. It’s just so beautiful!

[quote quote=122075]But I will say that the hair bugs me to pieces. (I mean, I get it… But I also don’t. Why, oh why is it so long? XD)[/quote]

LOL, I agree. Tolkien also never said that Elves had long hair. And why does Legolas braid his? I don’t think Elves ought to braid their hair!

[quote quote=122075]Oh! It sounds super interesting! My imagination is triggered. XD[/quote]

Good! I’m hoping to start a forum for advice on some scenes, so maybe you can help me out with it!

Wow, I’m super interested to read your books too! I haven’t read a lot of medieval fantasy. If you decide to publish your books, I would definitely read them! (Or if you need a beta reader!)

[quote quote=122075]By the way, I read your definition of the fantasy you write, and I think that’s what Heir of ashes is! KoS is practically the same, but a little different since although there’s not magic, there are unexplainable things because of the power of the King. (It’s an allegory [ish])[/quote]

Cool! I can’t remember where I ran across the term “rustic fantasy” but it was in some book I read about writing. I thought, hey, that’s what A Dream Come True is! I don’t think I’ve read anything else that’s in that category before, so now I’m curious!

-Christopher Blakewell

MineralizedWritings
                    @mineralizedwritings
                      • Total Posts: 2803

@arien

Ooh, what’s your WIP about? That’s great that you discuss adoption, I think there need to be more books about that.

Lets see if I can do this without too many spoilers… 😂

Ok so Lesli (18) and Tauren (16) live in the mining district of the west hills bunkers, one of many scattered over the country after a devastating civil war about 160 years ago. They grew up together since childhood. Lesli is the only girl who chose to mine instead of helping with kids, and once Tauren graduates school (graduates at 14), they love working together. They are both about to move up to do harder work with the adults, and Tauren is really nervous, but Lesli’s doing it with him, so he’s ok. However, she doesn’t show up the first day of work.It turns out Lesli’s parents just got divorced and she is moving to the professions district to live with her uncle and mom, which is pretty far away. it’s an entirely different culture, and Lesli tries her best to fit in, but really she just want to adventure with Tauren.

The whole adoption thing is in book 2. (I write so out of order sometimes 🤣)

So yeah, my attempt at not giving everything away 😂

Feel free to tag me if you ever upload parts of your story! I’d love to read it! 😁

Oh, also to qoute (I had to be taught by somebody, lol it’s not intuitive,) Copy and paste a section of somebodys post into the reply box. Highlight it, then click the ” symbol at the top left (next to the initialize). It should indent.

へびは かっこいい です!

Madelyn
                      @madelyn
                        • Total Posts: 115

@arien

It really is a good book! It’s one of the few books that my dad likes, and he’s not a reader. The intricacy of the plot is sooo well done; it’s just one of those super complicated storylines that keep you hooked! You really should write an article!

I ordered The Eagle of the Ninth from the library the other day, so I’ll let you know what I think!

Awwww, he sounds amazing!!! <3 🙂 Every house needs a cat monarch ;P We used to have a tuxedo (Molly) and she was a little queen! What kind of tricks can he do?

~In Christ Alone My Hope Is Found~

TheLoonyOne
                        @theloonyone
                          • Total Posts: 404

@arien

Favorite character? Ah, that’s hard. Too hard… I can’t 🤣 I love them all! Probably Sam or Boromir, though. What about you?

Ok, yeah, I’ve heard of rustic fantasy, just not the name. I love that you don’t have to care about being historically accurate. 😂 Just make stuff up!

Ok, cool!

Yes, LOTR! I have some of those on my classical playlist! Do you like a lot of instrumental music?

LOTR, yes yes yes! AND THE SILMARILLION! (I’m getting excited) I haven’t heard of The Lantern Bearers, what is it about? I read an abridged version of The Count of Monte Cristo and I want to read the actual novel someday.

Lol, snow shoveling should absolutely be an Olympic sport! It’s hard! Especially when the snow is wet 😂

Arien
                          @arien

@mineralizedwritings

Your WIP sounds good! I read the first chapter that you posted on here a while ago, and I liked the way you used their diaries for flashbacks and telling the story.

The whole adoption thing is in book 2. (I write so out of order sometimes 🤣)

Me too! I’m thinking about a sequel to A Dream Come True, so I’ve written a few scenes from that just to see how it goes. It’s so fun!

Thanks for showing me how to quote!

-Christopher Blakewell

Arien
                            @arien

@madelyn

Yes, The Count of Monte Cristo is so good! Wow, that’s cool your dad likes it! It doesn’t seem like the kind of book that a non-book person would really like, just because it’s so long and has some complicated stuff. (Seriously, I almost lost patience with it when I read it the first time, because just as I was getting into the characters, it would switch to totally different characters and I had no idea what they had to do with the plot! But at the end, it all made sense, and I really admired Dumas for the way he worked everything out!)

*quickly checks bookshelf to make sure Alexandre Dumas did actually write Monte Cristo* ;P

I ordered The Eagle of the Ninth from the library the other day, so I’ll let you know what I think!

Yess! It’s so good . . . and it takes place in Scotland, yay! (I’m Scottish, and it’s a big deal in our family!)

Every house needs a cat monarch

Oh, yes, Blackie is definitely the king of the castle around here! He can sit (beg), give kisses, give high fives and fist bumps, roll over for a tummy rub, and (if he’s in the mood) catch and/or fetch. He actually has done that with some regularity. He’s a smart pussy! (And in case you ever need a cat toy, scrunchies and rubber bracelets are the best!)

-Christopher Blakewell

Arien
                              @arien

@theloonyone

Favorite character? Ah, that’s hard. Too hard… I can’t 🤣 I love them all! Probably Sam or Boromir, though. What about you?

Oh yes, Sam. He’s the best! So loyal and loving all the way there and back! I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say they liked Boromir though. I’m curious, why? 🙂

What about you?

Definitely Eowyn, followed closely by Faramir, Gandalf, Sam, Gimli, Merry and Pippin . . . oh, they’re all so good! Except for Sauron and Saruman, and maybe the Sackville-Bagginses, LOL.

Yes, LOTR! I have some of those on my classical playlist! Do you like a lot of instrumental music?

Yes, being a violin/piano player and orchestra member, I love instrumental music! I listened to some of the LOTR soundtrack today! I really like the string orchestra piece “Blackberry Winter” and the wind band piece “Kingfishers Catch Fire.” My sister and I agreed that those pieces sound like me and her, respectively. 😛

LOTR, yes yes yes! AND THE SILMARILLION! (I’m getting excited)

Yay, another Silmarillion fan! ( @madelyn is one too!) Do you have a favorite character from The Silmarillion? I love the story of Beren and Luthien. And learning about how the world was created, and more about Galadriel, and how everything is so connected–Aragorn and Arwen are actually kind of distantly related!

I haven’t heard of The Lantern Bearers, what is it about?

The Lantern Bearers takes place when the last Roman legions are leaving Britain. Aquila, a young centurion, has to decide whether he belongs to Rome or Britain. Then a war-band of Saxons destroy everything he’s known, and he sets out to get revenge. It’s my second favorite book after LOTR!

Lol, snow shoveling should absolutely be an Olympic sport! It’s hard! Especially when the snow is wet 😂

Yes, I agree with you! Especially when the snowplow always seems to put all the snow in the nearby intersection into your driveway . . . makes my arms hurt thinking about it!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Arien.

-Christopher Blakewell

MineralizedWritings
                                @mineralizedwritings
                                  • Total Posts: 2803

@arien

Your WIP sounds good! I read the first chapter that you posted on here a while ago, and I liked the way you used their diaries for flashbacks and telling the story.

Thanks!

It’s so fun!

Ikr! It helps with planning too.

Thanks for showing me how to quote!

Yeah!

へびは かっこいい です!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >