I’m not the only one!

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE I’m not the only one!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Arien
    @arien
      • Total Posts: 193

I just have to say, this is super exciting for me, because I discovered KP through a friend last summer but I now I’m finally joining! (thanks @madelyn!) The thing that really hooked me was the community. I am SO glad to know I’m not the only Tolkien nerd who wants to write to glorify God. (Because yes, I am totally a Tolkien nerd!)

I’ve been writing for as long as I can remember, but I began pursuing it seriously two years ago. I recently finished my first book, a rustic fantasy novella titled A Dream Come True. I’m in the editing stage now, which is kind of exciting and kind of intimidating at the same time. My WIP now is fiction set in the modern world, Swallowtail Summer. I have many more ideas though, so I should have enough to keep me busy for a long time. 😛

I’m excited to meet all of you!

Be brave. Be strong. Be bold.
      -Christopher Blakewell

MineralizedWritings
      @mineralizedwritings
        • Total Posts: 2803

@arien

Hello and welcome! We are glad to have you here!

Yes we have plenty of Tolkien nerds here and are happy to have another. I haven’t seen the movies or read the books (I’m too sensitive lol) but have heard lots of the lore from the silmerilian from my sister. And the music is awesome, Concerning hobbits is my favorite track.

I’m MineralizedWritings around here (My signature is to help people remember the s when they tag me 😂) I’m a online schooler, and am currently writing the first draft of my dystopian ya novel (I post chapters here every now and then). I like to draw my character’s, and hope to make it a graphic novel someday. oh, and I’m a christian!

A couple questions for you!

1. What is your current favorite of your characters to write and why?

2. What is swallowtail summer about? Cool title!

3. What is your favorite theme to express in your writing?

4. What is your favorite tense to write in? I like present tense.

5.  Are snakes cool? (Answer wisely 🤣) (jk u can disagree)

Anyways, have fun here!

へびは かっこいい です!

Felicity
        @felicity
          • Total Posts: 811

@arien

Elen sila lumenn’ omentielvo!

Hello Arien and welcome to Kingdom Pen!! I’m Felicity, an aspiring author, homesteader and follower of Jesus. I’ve only been on here for a few days but I can assure you it’s great and everyone is so encouraging and supportive!

Lot’s of people on here love Tolkien, so you have found your niche!

Can’t wait to hear more about your WIP, if you so choose to share. 🙂 I am the kind of writer who has lots of WIPs and switches between them. My favorite one is called Overcome, which follows two families lives during the current Russo-Ukrainian war.

Here’s a question for you:

If you could have any super power, what would it be?

He must increase, but I must decrease.

Madelyn
          @madelyn
            • Total Posts: 115

@arien

WOOOOHOOOOOOO!! YOU’RE HERE!!!!!

*calms down*

Hey there!! 😉 So glad you’ve finally joined!!!

I already know you, but I’m still gonna ask some questions ’cause, ya know, it’s tradition.

–What are your top three favorite series?

–Which do you prefer–coffee, tea, hot chocolate, or apple cider?

–What’s your favorite fictional character?

I’m excited to see ya around!!! 😀

~In Christ Alone My Hope Is Found~

Koshka
            @koshka
              • Total Posts: 1428

@arien

Welcome to the kingdom! I’m Koshka, or that’s what I am around here. Here, and pretty much everywhere else, I write non-magical medieval-fantasy andthe random poem among other things. A lot of other things.

I have read and enjoyed LotR, but I don’t know if I exactly qualify as a fan (at least compared to those I would definitely say are such). I have never seen the movies, but I don’t really want to.

And now, ask-the-newbe-questions!

1. Do you like Elves, Hobbits, or Dwarves better?
              2. What is (or was) the hair color of your favorite author?
              3. Would you rather ride a dragon for a day or own a horse for life? (Breed up to you)
              4. And lastly, Do you like jellybeans?

Again, welcome to the kingdom!

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Elishavet Pidyon
              @elishavet-pidyon
                • Total Posts: 1014

@arien

Greetings and salutations! Welcome to the Kingdom of Pen. The community here is indeed great. We’re glad you’re here!

I’m called Elishavet around here, and I mostly write realistic medieval fantasy (so I can blend my two favorite genres: Clean, medieval fantasy and Historical fiction), with the occasional poem.

I have read LotR, but I’m like Koshka. I really enjoyed it, but I’m not exactly a enthusiast, and don’t care to see the movies. (Because I’m sensitive for one, and also because, *cough cough* they got too many characters wrong. XD I’m very opinionated when it comes to characters. XD [Legolas’ hair should be darker 😉 ]). But as the others have said, there are a lot of Tolkein nerds among us!

I also love C. S. Lewis (Narnia, Mere Christianity, and Screwtape), S. D. Smith (The Green Ember, Old Natalia, and Green Ember Archer, series), E. Nesbit (The Treasure Hunters), Chuck Black (The knights of Arrethtrae series), and… Ok, it’s a lot too much to tell now. What are your favorite authors?

Your WIPs sound intriguing. (I absolutely love your titles!) What are they about?

I have two.. three… Okay, two main and one side WIP… With several random projects along the way. Anyway, I don’t have a title for the first, so I just call it Kingdom of Shadows. The second has the working title of Heir of Ashes. They both threaten to be series, but only KoS is for sure one. The side WIP is a little children’s story/novel project about squirrels and their search for the fabelled country of Belirein. It doesn’t have a title.

So, as for questions…

Do you have a favy hobby(ies)?

Favorite animals? (Fictional or real)

If you ended up in a fictional world, what would it be and what characters would you befriend?

Would you rather live in a castle (three room stone keep from the early Medieval age) or a cottage (same number of rooms)?

And sorry, I talk a lot. XD

I’m excited to meet you and looking forward to seeing you around!

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

TheLoonyOne
                @theloonyone
                  • Total Posts: 404

Hi @arien! Welcome to Kingdom Pen!

I’m TheLoonyOne, also a Tolkien nerd! (A very very big Tolkien nerd) That’s so cool that your friend told you about KP. For me, it was my cousin 😂

You’ve written a whole book? 😲 That is so awesome! I’m usually quite a big procrastinator but I’m taking a novel in a semester class that is making me actually work on my writing. What is rustic fantasy? I’ve never heard of that sub-genre. Your titles are really creative, too. I love them! I absolutely understand having more ideas than time 🤣.

Anyway, newbie questions!

1. What kind of writing do you do? Do you have a favorite genre?

2. Stranded on an island. If you like music, what are five songs or five albums that you would want to have if you were stranded on an island? Basically top five, whether through quality or sentiment.

3. Stranded on an island but five books.

4. If you could make any activity an Olympic sport, what would you have a good chance of winning a medal for?

Welcome to Kingdom Pen again! I hope to see you around!

Arien
                  @arien

@mineralizedwritings

The LOTR soundtrack is great! I like Concerning Hobbits too, but my favorites are The King of the Golden Hall and all the Rohan themes. (Big Eowyn fan here!)

Ooh, questions!

1. I like my character Ruby from Swallowtail Summer. She’s not at all like me, but she’s very interesting to learn about as I write her! I also like my character Durwin from A Dream Come True, though I’m not writing that currently.

2. I don’t have a good pitch for Swallowtail Summer yet, but it’s about a very shy girl named Brooke, who is terrified of most things and tends to live in the books she’s reading. When her parents divorce, they send Brooke and her younger sister Claire (who Brooke detests) to stay with a great-aunt they’ve never met. Brooke meets Ruby, a girl with a tragic past, and an unlikely friendship begins to form.

3. Favorite theme, that’s tough. I really like themes that deal with sacrificial love, more of the parent-child type than the lovers type. (In A Dream Come True, I played around a lot with the sacrifices Durwin makes for my MC Elinor and her brother, and I love how it turned out!

4. I like past tense best, maybe because I just haven’t written or read much in present tense. 🙂

5. Yes, snakes are cool, if they stay on the ground where I can watch them and they’re not poisonous LOL

-Christopher Blakewell

Arien
                    @arien

@felicity

I love your greeting! I’m not fluent enough in Quenya to reply, unfortunately. But thank you! 🙂

Your WIP sounds interesting! I’d be interested in reading it if you decide to post scenes or chapters or anything!

If I could have a superpower, I would like to be able to fly. 😀

Nice to meet you!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Arien.

-Christopher Blakewell

Arien
                      @arien

@madelyn

YES HERE I AM! 😀

Seriously? Questions from you? Like we haven’t known each other for what, our whole lives? XD

1. LOTR (It’s just one book, but if you count The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales and all the History of Middle Earth, it’s a series, right?), the Roman Britain trilogy by Rosemary Sutcliff, and The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander. And the Wingfeather Saga. That’s four, oops. They’re all so good! 😀

2. I like all of them, but apple cider might be my favorite. I also like black coffee. 🙂

3. Eowyn from LOTR is definitely my all-time fave! She’s so inspiring!

I’m glad I finally made it here! Thanks for your welcome!

-Christopher Blakewell

Arien
                        @arien

@koshka

Hello and nice to meet you!

What is your WIP about? I like non-magical fantasy too. 🙂

1. Definitely Elves!

2. My favorite author is J. R. R. Tolkien. I think he had dark hair, but in most of the pictures I’ve seen he has grayish-white hair. Interesting question! 😀

3. I would rather own a horse for life–they don’t breathe fire. Dragons are cool though!

4. Not really, except for the spice ones. Those are good! Definitely not the Krispy Kreme ones I had a few months ago . . . bleh. XD

-Christopher Blakewell

Arien
                          @arien

@elishavet-pidyon

I haven’t seen the LOTR movies either, because I’m also sensitive and I agree with you about the characters! From what I know, they completely misunderstood Eowyn. And Faramir. And they gave Elves pointed ears! Tolkien never said Elves had pointed ears! *takes a deep breath* Sorry about that, LOL.

Ooh, Screwtape Letters is good. My favorite authors are Tolkien, Rosemary Sutcliff, Victor Hugo, Andrew Peterson, and my sister and my dad, who also both write fantasy. (They’re really good!)

Here’s the pitch for A Dream Come True (my dad wrote this, not me, LOL):

Elinor and her twin brother Aedan were supposed to be like children to the Dickinsons. Instead, the Dickinsons treat them more like slaves. When Aedan learns that the Dickinsons are planning to sell them as servants to the royal family of Tiniria, Aedan and Elinor escape–only to be captured by the Royal Guard and forced to work as servants in the castle.

But while working for the royal family, Elinor begins to learn more about herself and a past that she never knew. She and Aedan try to meet while avoiding the watchful Prince Durwin. But when Elinor’s hopes are dashed, she and Aedan escape again. This time they flee into more danger than Elinor has ever known–a danger that can only be overcome by love.

I like your titles too! What are they about? They sound interesting!

1. My favorite hobby is playing the violin. I also enjoy piano, singing, and embroidery. And, of course, writing, which I actually like more than reading!

2. I love horses, dragons, and cats. My cat can act like a dragon (except for the breathing fire part, LOL) but I don’t want to meet a dragon that acts like a cat!

3. I want to go to Middle Earth, meet Elves, and live with the Rohirrim, or maybe Lestina, my sister’s fantasy world, and meet her characters!

4. Definitely the castle! It might be cold though, so I’ll bring a cloak.

That’s totally okay, I talk a lot too! I’m looking forward to being here!

-Christopher Blakewell

Arien
                            @arien

@theloonyone

Yay, another Tolkien nerd! Who’s your favorite character(s)?

I’m pretty excited to have finished a book myself! It’s only 27,000 words, so it’s more of a novella, but it’s the first longer thing I’ve finished! Rustic fantasy is basically non-magical fantasy, no Elves or wizards or dragons. So it’s similar to historical fiction from the medieval era (you still have castles and swords and kings) but it’s in an imaginary world and not necessarily historically accurate.

1. Yeah, so my last book was rustic fantasy, my WIP is modern fiction, and I have ideas for at least one more modern fiction and possibly a fantasy series co-written with my sister. I have written some poems too.

2. The soundtrack from LOTR for sure; Yo Yo Ma playing the Bach cello suites; Anne Akiko Meyers playing Vivaldi’s The Four Seasons; Voces8’s albums Enchanted Isle and After Silence.

3. LOTR again, The Silmarillion, The Lantern Bearers by Rosemary Sutcliff, Les Misérables, and The Count of Monte Cristo

4. Oh wow, I don’t know! Maybe I could stand a chance in something to do with reading or writing. My family jokes about snow shoveling being an Olympic sport, where all the people from Buffalo NY, northern MN, and the Upper Peninsula of MI do really well. 😀

Nice to meet you!

-Christopher Blakewell

MineralizedWritings
                              @mineralizedwritings
                                • Total Posts: 2803

@arien

Oh King of the Golden hall! I have that in my clarinet sheet music book.

Oh I like your themes! I like themes of sacrifice in family too, I have a section of my book about a character who made a lot of sacrifices to adopt a little girl.

Ooh Swallowtail summer sounds really interesting!

In A Dream Come True, I played around a lot with the sacrifices Durwin makes for my MC Elinor and her brother, and I love how it turned out!

That’s great! Isn’t it awesome when you wright something, and are just so happy with how it turns out?

Lol yes, perhaps snakes on the ground are the best type 🤣

Read your pitch for A dream Come True, It sounds great! I kinda want to know what happens now XD

へびは かっこいい です!

Koshka
                                @koshka
                                  • Total Posts: 1428

@arien

Well, I am currently working on a trilogy which I don’t have a title for. The first two books are set in an early medievalish time, and the last one is World War/modern. Oh, and all the characters are animals, a little like The Green Ember.

Hearts of Gold 1) [early medievalish] Divided in a kingdom of shattered truth, paths are twisting into roads no one could be meant to take. How can anyone stop the consequences of choices they had no choice but to make? And is there ever redemption for those who broke the broken?

Walls of Stone 2) [early medievalish] Lost in a world of shadows, Freedom is nothing more than a song. But now the music is ending and the darkness grows ever stronger. When the dawn comes, if it ever does, will there be anyone left to sing?

Seas of Fury 3) [World War, War on Terror] Here in a sea of unleased fury, broken dreams are living nightmares. Time is ticking, but the most lethal weapons are those no one can prepare for. When the ship goes down, who will save the drowning?

Anyway, that’s the blurbs at present. Yours sounds very interesting. How long have you been working on it?

I don’t like Jellybeans that much, but I’ve never had the spice ones. What are they like?

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >