I’m giving you permission to rant about your WIP

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions I’m giving you permission to rant about your WIP

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 467 total)
  • Author
    GodlyFantasy12
    @godlyfantasy12
      • Total Posts: 6645

@annabelle hey about ur WIP tho I haven’t finished it, there’s a series that is called the Waterfire saga and the main character is literally a mermaid princess (but it’s not corny at all quite the opposite). And it’s definitely YA (so just to let u know)and is a bit of a fantasy adventure.

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
      #ProtectMarcel
      #ProtectSeb

GodlyFantasy12
      @godlyfantasy12
        • Total Posts: 6645

@joy-caroline

WOOHOO WIP TALK OH YEAAA

SOOOO I have a 7-8 book series tumbling around in my brain (cue sarcastic yippee because that’s a whole lotta books….) ANYWHOO

There are also 7 MCs!!

HAHAHA….

Ha…

heh.

Whew. Is it getting hot in here or is that just me?

Luckily they’re introduced in each book up until book 5 (when the last one is introduced) and except for book 1 (where 3 are introduced)

But things have taken a bit of a turn on me because I keep having more ideas, and don’t get me wrong these ideas make the series SO MUCH BETTER and more in depth and just….AGH I LOVE THEM! BUT, my most recent AHA moment/idea made me realize I was going to have to split what I thought was book one (Project DM) into 2 books. So, the beginning has now changed and I am reworking on book 1 (which for right now is called Project AB until I can think of a better name for it)

This has added to my work load because the series might now be 8 books (thus why I said a 7 to 8 book series, and considering the fact I cannot seem to finish a full draft….things feel kinda rough (I mean…I finish “drafts” as in I call them finished but to some people they wouldn’t be fully finished if that makes sense.”

Besides those issues u probs wanna hear what the stories about XD

So the series has like 7 MCs, and their all different coming from different walks of life in this fantasy world (It is a Fantasy YA)

They have all been destined by God to do great things and defeat the Dark One, also named Eder, but they do not all know this. The only one who this destiny has actually be prophesied over is one girl, and that is because she is a princess whose family serves the Lord, and so they receive messages from the Lord’s Guardians (type and shadow of angels) so they know that she destined for great things) but the other characters all over the world haven’t been really “prophesied over” from birth, Ya know?

But the Dark One knows, and so their lives haven’t always been easy.

The story begins with 2 of the MCs, Arabella (the princess) and her best friend November,

It also introduces another MC, the antagonist Corvina, who works for Eder. These are the two who start the ball rolling (along with Corvina and Eder) and they travel to the other lands, finding the others and having adventures in those other worlds until at last they come face to face with Corvina and Eder.

SO Yea…I mean that’s kinda the gist of the entire series. If y’all wanna know more about an individual book let me know!

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
        #ProtectMarcel
        #ProtectSeb

Linyang Zhang
        @devastate-lasting
          • Total Posts: 1700

@joy-caroline Currently can’t think of anything much, but I do have a short story idea that I’m expanding on, about a hitman hired to take out world leaders over enacting a law about teleportation.

Lately, it's been on my brain
          Would you mind letting me know
          If hours don't turn into days

Koshka
          @koshka
            • Total Posts: 1424

@keilah-h

Oh, ok! =) That makes sense. I was wondering, and as nearly all (it isn’t much) the ‘sci-fi’ I’ve read was close to fifty years old I’d never heard of them.

That would be neat! I like looking at other people’s art, especially when it’s story inspired. Besides, Alan sounds like a neat subject for a drawing.

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Keilah H.
            @keilah-h
              • Total Posts: 3875

@koshka Yeah, I can totally get that feeling, but for me it’s the opposite: The oldest pieces of literature that I know for sure I’ve read are LOTR, Narnia, Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Raven,” and one or maybe two of Ayn Rand’s dystopias (but those aren’t that old, right?). I was actually reading Ayn Rand’s book Anthem because I wanted to get ideas for Into The Forbidden Cavern, even though I imagined my book to have a much lighter, fantasy-ish tone than that book did.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Annabelle
              @annabelle
                • Total Posts: 108

@keilah-h

That’s cool! I enjoy hearing about your writing and your fantasy creatures.

@godlyfantasy12

I’ve heard of the Waterfire Saga, but I started to read it and I wasn’t really keen on all the witches and magic stuff. (I know, I write fantasy, but I do very minimal magic). But still, that’s good that it’s a YA, so maybe my book isn’t the only one.

Sorry for taking forever to respond, btw. I’ve been super busy lately.

In the words of Jinto Queb, "Hurry, reading is fun!"

Keilah H.
                @keilah-h
                  • Total Posts: 3875

@annabelle Thanks! Yeah, I love making up animal-human combinations for some reason. My brother hates them, but I think they’re so cool.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Annabelle
                  @annabelle

@keilah-h

I agree!

Jodi Maile
                    @jodi-maile
                      • Total Posts: 138

@joy-caroline Yay! A WIP chat (that I’m super late to! Sorry)! And I’m so excited for WFR 🙂

I’m about halfway through the first draft of a story my sister and I have been working on for years. Technically, this is around the third or fourth time we’ve tried to write it, but this is the new first draft of a freshly re-plotted version of the story and we both love it so far, which is great because usually around the halfway point we start to hate it and notice all the glaring plot holes haha. I’m so excited for this story, it’s been such a labor of love for years. My favorite part about it is the kind of enemies-to-friends thing we have going with the main characters. I love iconic duos and I hope our two POV leading ladies will end up being up there with the greats!

Koshka
                      @koshka

@keilah-h

Did you like “The Raven”? I haven’t read any Poe. I don’t know if Ayn Rand is old as once again I haven’t read. I tend to avoid morbid stuff.

Anonymous
                          • Total Posts: 1379

@daisy-torres

That story sounds like so much fun!

@keilah-h

Wow, that’s all so creative! I, for one, could never invent an entire world and new creatures out of my own brain, so my hat is off to you.

@annabelle

Yeah, I know what you’re saying about love triangles. I’m still working on mine, but I’m thinking I need to make Maria think a little bit more about which boy she actually likes better because as of right now all she does is just pick one, easy-peasy.

Probably a good idea! I’d really like to read a love triangle done well for once XD I’m sure you can pull it off.

You’re probably right about it being a YA novel. But when I walk into the YA section in bookstores or libraries, all the stuff there normally has a lot of witchcraft or a lot of just bad or gloomy content. My book is not like that at all, so that’s why I’m not sure it will fit. But I have read some YA novels that are less dark, so maybe it’ll work.

Yeah, I totally get that. I think one of the most important duties of a Christian writer is to avoid mixing our books with the secular crowd. If we write good, exciting, impactful books free of questionable content, we’ll give YA readers a good story AND influence their lives for the better. I think your book could be one of the best YA novels out there, since your purpose for it is noble! 🙂

Thanks about the titles! The first one, Identity, was really hard to come up with. I’m still not sure it fits with the rest of the titles I came up with because it’s a single-word title and the others have multiple words.

Yeah, I’m kind of struggling with the titles of my Biblical fiction series, too. XD The three titles for that series are Temira: Saved, Naamah: Broken, and Seth: Anointed. I reallyyy like the third book’s title because it’s really symbolic, but I’m not yet sure about the first two. There’s lots of time to give it more thought, though!

Yes, I often dream about days when I get to talk to all my friends about how my WIP is going. Most of them don’t ask, so I try to grab every opportunity I can to talk about it. Thankfully, I’m still able to rant about it at the dinner table, where my parents and siblings will listen to me (but also get bored to death in the process xD).

Haha, yes! I already apologized to my best friend in advance that I’ll probably be super annoying for the next year, ’cause Where Faith Remains will pretty much be all I’ll talk about. XD I talk to my principal about it sometimes, too.

Anonymous

@koshka

Those are my absolute favorite themes EVER. You have to publish your books soon, cause I would definitely like to read them.

Thank you! Well, WFR is releasing in about a year. 😉

Ah, historical research (especially when unnecessary) is one of the joys of my life. As a consequence I have this urge to make everything in my books accurate. I am also vaguely into Historical renacting, so anything from clothing to weapons to cooking customs may interest me.

A very good thing that you’re passionate about historically accurate books! It really annoys me whenever I read books with historical inaccuracies, lol.

I am sort of struggling with titles right now. For instance the actual titles for my books are Heart of Gold Heart of Stone, Fox of Cypress Fox of Pine, and Land of Shelter Land of Storm, but I can’t figure out what to call the series. *Sigh*

Those are great titles! Yeah, it can be kind of tough to settle on a name for the whole series. I find that most series titles come from a central theme that runs through all the books, or a symbol that plays an important role in all the books, or sometimes the series title is the same as the title of the first book.

Anonymous

@elishavet-pidyon

I know, it’s awful. If I don’t cry while writing his trial and/or *cough* (spoiler emitted for the benefit of the blissfully unaware few 😉 ) scene…. I don’t think that particular scene will ever make it into the book outside of flashbacks from Winifrith and possibly William. I don’t know. It sorta happens in between two books, so…

My series might expand a wee bit.

Aw man, death scenes for our beloved characters are always like a punch in the gut. *sobs* I have some pretty heartwrenching deaths in the Life of Sacrifice series. We writers really are crazy. XD

However, he is victorious, even in death. The bonds he’s born into are hard to break, and yes he falls a few times, but when the King delivers him he is free indeed. It will definitely be interesting to write! With an allegory, one portrays things as they are – just using things that can be completely unconnected. Sin etc. is bondage. There is always a choice to continue in it, but sometimes other people try to make that choice for one. Sometimes one’s born into it. That doesn’t mean there is no way out – there is no such thing as a lost cause.

May I say again that your allegory is going to be awesome? 🙂 I can’t wait to read it someday.

It’s the best part of everything! 🙂 Alwin goes from a beaten young serf to a victorious knight bringing freedom to the captive. He is able to see his daughter born into freedom, and he knows that no matter what may happen to him, he has nothing to fear (not even death, because where is it’s sting?). Yes, it’s the best part.

For sure! Amen!

Same here! When we read The Hobbit, we looked into the other storylines/characters a little bit. However, we have some friends who love the series, and they are more than happy to explain any part.

Who’s your favorite LotR character, if you’ve got one?

I really liked Gandalf in The Hobbit.

They are bunches of fun, but they take a bit to plan etc. Still, they ARE SO MUCH FUN.

It’s always been my dream to see a book I’ve written get a beautiful cover. Can’t wait until I can get that cover designed… I actually already have a pretty clear idea in my head of how I would like it to look.

That’s funny about the title Where Faith Remains. I’ve had some great ideas for titles, but they never seem to fit any of my books. I like the titles in Life of Sacrifice, but have fun with them! There is definitely time to sort them out better.

True!

Yeah, sometimes I get amazing titles popping into my head without actual story ideas to accompany them. XD

Annabelle
                              @annabelle

@joy-caroline

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I really appreciate it. Your stories sound super good! I love the titles of your biblical fiction series. They sound really interesting. 😊

Koshka
                                @koshka

@joy-caroline

Yay!

Ugh, especially when you know about a specific topic which isn’t all that hard to research. One which some authors consistently include the modern idea of it when it wasn’t like that at all! (Ugh!)

Hmm, so maybe something to do with the themes.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 467 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >