I’m giving you permission to rant about your WIP

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions I’m giving you permission to rant about your WIP

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 467 total)
  • Author
    Koshka
    @koshka
      • Total Posts: 1424

@keilah-h

Random question which I have been wondering; what is a cyborg (if it doesn’t spoil anything)?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Koshka.

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Elishavet Pidyon
      @elishavet-pidyon
        • Total Posts: 1013

@joy-caroline

I know, it’s awful. If I don’t cry while writing his trial and/or *cough* (spoiler emitted for the benefit of the blissfully unaware few 😉 ) scene…. I don’t think that particular scene will ever make it into the book outside of flashbacks from Winifrith and possibly William. I don’t know. It sorta happens in between two books, so…

My series might expand a wee bit.

However, he is victorious, even in death. The bonds he’s born into are hard to break, and yes he falls a few times, but when the King delivers him he is free indeed. It will definitely be interesting to write! With an allegory, one portrays things as they are – just using things that can be completely unconnected. Sin etc. is bondage. There is always a choice to continue in it, but sometimes other people try to make that choice for one. Sometimes one’s born into it. That doesn’t mean there is no way out – there is no such thing as a lost cause.

Wow, talk about a rant! That was LONG. 🙂

Yay! The Good News is the best part of your allegory after all, am I right?

It’s the best part of everything! 🙂 Alwin goes from a beaten young serf to a victorious knight bringing freedom to the captive. He is able to see his daughter born into freedom, and he knows that no matter what may happen to him, he has nothing to fear (not even death, because where is it’s sting?). Yes, it’s the best part.

Hmm, I didn’t know that about Aragorn and Galadriel! (Though then again, I haven’t actually read LotR except for The Hobbit – I have seen parts of the movies though, and I know bits of the story.)

Same here! When we read The Hobbit, we looked into the other storylines/characters a little bit. However, we have some friends who love the series, and they are more than happy to explain any part.

Awesome! I can’t wait until I get a cover designed for WFR. Won’t be for a while though.

They are bunches of fun, but they take a bit to plan etc. Still, they ARE SO MUCH FUN.

That’s funny about the title Where Faith Remains. I’ve had some great ideas for titles, but they never seem to fit any of my books. I like the titles in Life of Sacrifice, but have fun with them! There is definitely time to sort them out better.

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Annabelle
        @annabelle
          • Total Posts: 108

@koshka

Yes, we do! That’s what authors like us are trying to accomplish: getting more good books out there in the world.

In the words of Jinto Queb, "Hurry, reading is fun!"

Elfwing
          @elfwing
            • Total Posts: 486

@annabelle well everyone has different genres they do best. I can’t write much besides fantasy novels that are a gazillion pages in rough draft, and little allegorical short stories lol.

Hahah yeah we are evil though, you have to be if you’re gonna write sometimes. I’m so cruel,

*friends reading my book: “You are so cruel! why?! he was happy! he finally got the girl now you kill her! i mean, i saw it coming, but why?!!”

*me sitting on my throne of deleted happy endings, sipping tea and twirling my pencil, “Not all stories have a happy ending, darling.”

bahahaha i should make that into a meme XDDDD

Haha yeah some romance is good. The grumpy one falling for the sunshiny one is one that melts my writer heart. but i still killed them MUAHAHAHA

hehe jkk anyways all the best with writing! i have people to write about

see ya around! 😀

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

Annabelle
            @annabelle

@elfwing

LOL that would be a great meme!

How many characters do you kill?! The way you’re talking it sounds like all your characters end up dead by the end of the story.

Trahia the Minstrel
              @trahia-the-minstrel
                • Total Posts: 193

@joy-caroline @koshka @elfwing @annabelle @elishavet-pidyon @daisy-torres

Do you guys mind if I jump in? Sorry I haven’t been super active on the forum recently, and may not have replied to anything you said. I’ve been taking a huge break from things over the Christmas/New Years holidays.

As well as binging Keeper of the Lost Cities. The whole series thus far. Which I just bought so I could reread it. If any of you has read this, I’m on Team Foster-Keefe, all the way, forever. I gotta say though — out of all of them, Flashback was kinda meh in terms of its content and climax … and 8.5 Unlocked made me groan cause of the fact Sophie’s started going down that whole ‘I have to play like a bad guy and be aggressive to beat the bad guys.’ Ugh. It made me mad, cause I hate it when the main character of a series goes on this whole downward spiral in which they end up making bad choices which they’ll regret later.

Which is totally hypocritical, cause I just realised that’s gonna happen in my series at some point too.

Hmm.

So, onto talking about my WIP! I’ve been actually really stuck lately. I got into this rut where I’m afraid to write because I want it to be perfect and beautiful and so good I won’t need to rewrite it afterwards, but that’s been causing me to majorly procrastinate and basically avoid doing any writing.

After a long pep talk with my siblings, I managed to finish the 1st chapter of the 2nd draft of my 2nd book. (I hope that makes sense).

But here are some of the things I’m looking forward to writing about in this series this year:

— There’s a slight — I won’t call it romance, cause it isn’t really, at least for now (no spoilers for the future)😉 — but two characters who are betrothed for an arranged marriage have to get to know each other. I’m looking forward to rewriting this dynamic, as the first time I wrote it, the girl was a flat cliché tough-girl rebel-without-a-cause. So this time round, her character is a lot deeper.

— I’m looking forward to writing a frenemyship with two boys on opposing sides — they both dislike each other and yet enjoy each other’s company in a really fun way.

— I have an amazing estranged brother arc I’m looking forward to fleshing out …

— More of Tráhia the Minstel! — she’s an actual character in my series, and I don’t know if you’ve ever experienced this before, but she’s a character who writes herself. I intended for her to by shy and quiet, but somehow when I started writing the first scene she was in, she turned out to be a tremendous flirt who’s playing both sides. When it comes to her, I actually don’t plot. I just roll with it. Which makes her amazingly fun.

— I have a new character who wasn’t in my original draft who’s turned out similar to Tráhia in the fact that she is writing herself. It’s fun to watch all my pre-planned conversations go to custard as Namia changes them into her own thing. I’m cool with it — that’s what makes writing fun.

— I’m hoping to write Book 3! It’ll be my first draft, so that should be fun!

— In the interest of adding a personal detail, I’m really looking forward to writing more of Yusīñien’s character — he’s my tactician, and his relationship with the two main characters, Salvárdé and Méyárco, is just so interesting. Is weird that as a girl, all my main characters are boys? Or that I have an obsession with writing brother-brother relationships? I just love the dynamics.

Man, my list of things sounds not as cool as you guys’ … I feel like yours was more personal, but I don’t want to spoil my book😅. Is that bad?

Btw, @joy-caroline are you getting your book traditionally, hybrid, or self-published next year? I love hearing about that whole process!

Also, do you guys have any advice for someone trying to set up their website ASAP? I really need website advice! What should I do about all the remaining template posts and things? Should I delete them? And do you thing a downloadable JPEG screensaver will do as a Lead Magnet or Freebie? Also, I’m struggling to write blog posts … and to set up my email newsletter. Any good ideas?

I should make that it’s own topic, shouldn’t I?😅 But I really would appreciate the advice.

Anyway, that’s all I can think of for now. I loved reading about all you guys’ WIPs! (I might ad more to this thread later …😁)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Trahia the Minstrel. Reason: Tagged people wrong 😅

The end of a story, a beautiful picture; a feeling of longing yet hope~
                That’s my wish to create.

Trahia the Minstrel
                @trahia-the-minstrel
                  • Total Posts: 193

@joy-caroline @koshka @elfwing @annabelle @elishavet-pidyon @daisy-torres

Do you guys mind if I jump in? Sorry I haven’t been super active on the forum recently, and may not have replied to anything you said. I’ve been taking a huge break from things over the Christmas/New Years holidays.

As well as binging Keeper of the Lost Cities. The whole series thus far. Which I just bought so I could reread it. If any of you has read this, I’m on Team Foster-Keefe, all the way, forever. I gotta say though — out of all of them, Flashback was kinda meh in terms of its content and climax … and 8.5 Unlocked made me groan cause of the fact Sophie’s started going down that whole ‘I have to play like a bad guy and be aggressive to beat the bad guys.’ Ugh. It made me mad, cause I hate it when the main character of a series goes on this whole downward spiral in which they end up making bad choices which they’ll regret later.

Which is totally hypocritical, cause I just realised that’s gonna happen in my series at some point too.

Hmm.

So, onto talking about my WIP! I’ve been actually really stuck lately. I got into this rut where I’m afraid to write because I want it to be perfect and beautiful and so good I won’t need to rewrite it afterwards, but that’s been causing me to majorly procrastinate and basically avoid doing any writing.

After a long pep talk with my siblings, I managed to finish the 1st chapter of the 2nd draft of my 2nd book. (I hope that makes sense).

But here are some of the things I’m looking forward to writing about in this series this year:

— There’s a slight — I won’t call it romance, cause it isn’t really, at least for now (no spoilers for the future)😉 — but two characters who are betrothed for an arranged marriage have to get to know each other. I’m looking forward to rewriting this dynamic, as the first time I wrote it, the girl was a flat cliché tough-girl rebel-without-a-cause. So this time round, her character is a lot deeper.

— I’m looking forward to writing a frenemyship with two boys on opposing sides — they both dislike each other and yet enjoy each other’s company in a really fun way.

— I have an amazing estranged brother arc I’m looking forward to fleshing out …

— More of Tráhia the Minstel! — she’s an actual character in my series, and I don’t know if you’ve ever experienced this before, but she’s a character who writes herself. I intended for her to by shy and quiet, but somehow when I started writing the first scene she was in, she turned out to be a tremendous flirt who’s playing both sides. When it comes to her, I actually don’t plot. I just roll with it. Which makes her amazingly fun.

— I have a new character who wasn’t in my original draft who’s turned out similar to Tráhia in the fact that she is writing herself. It’s fun to watch all my pre-planned conversations go to custard as Namia changes them into her own thing. I’m cool with it — that’s what makes writing fun.

— I’m hoping to write Book 3! It’ll be my first draft, so that should be fun!

— In the interest of adding a personal detail, I’m really looking forward to writing more of Yusīñien’s character — he’s my tactician, and his relationship with the two main characters, Salvárdé and Méyárco, is just so interesting. Is weird that as a girl, all my main characters are boys? Or that I have an obsession with writing brother-brother relationships? I just love the dynamics.

Man, my list of things sounds not as cool as you guys’ … I feel like yours was more personal, but I don’t want to spoil my book😅. Is that bad?

Btw, @joy-caroline are you getting your book traditionally, hybrid, or self-published next year? I love hearing about that whole process!

Also, do you guys have any advice for someone trying to set up their website ASAP? I really need website advice! What should I do about all the remaining template posts and things? Should I delete them? And do you thing a downloadable JPEG screensaver will do as a Lead Magnet or Freebie? Also, I’m struggling to write blog posts … and to set up my email newsletter. Any good ideas?

I should make that it’s own topic, shouldn’t I?😅 But I really would appreciate the advice.

Anyway, that’s all I can think of for now. I loved reading about all you guys’ WIPs! (I might ad more to this thread later …😁)

I edited this post, and so the forum ate it. Thankfully I had copied it beforehand. (It it appears twice because the original showed up again, please forgive me.)

The end of a story, a beautiful picture; a feeling of longing yet hope~
                  That’s my wish to create.

Elfwing
                  @elfwing

@annabelle bahahaha meme has been made with slight alterations XDD

hahaha well its a series that extends over like, 50/60ish years, and then i have individual stories for the charries that have been alive for centuries, so *shrugs * for every book, at least 1 of the more important characters dies XD most of them are heartbreakers, so

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

Annabelle
                    @annabelle

@trahia-the-minstrel

Your WIP sounds so good! And don’t be too afraid that you don’t write. My first/second drafts of my novels always turn out horrible, but it’s a learning process and I’m able to correct them later.

Okay, so starting a blog isn’t exactly easy. I would recommend using either Wix for fast setup, or WordPress.com (but not WordPress.org. They’re two separate things.) I use WordPress.org for my blog, but I think you have to have your own server to run it on, so if you want something easy then I don’t think I’d recommend it.

For email newsletter, I think WordPress.com has one built in that you can use, but Wix doesn’t. You could use a program called MailChimp, which will mail your newsletter out to all your subscribers.

For template posts, if you’re not using them, then I don’t see why you shouldn’t delete them.

If you have any more blogging questions, then let me know! I’ve run a blog since I was eight years old, and my dad’s a software engineer, so I’m fine talking about technology.

@elfwing

LOL good meme!

Elfwing
                      @elfwing

@joy-caroline

it is, isn’t it? writing about characters with anger problems has made me more aware of my temper. selfish ones make me see my own flaws. My dad has always said, what irritates us about others is usually our greatest weakness or something we fear becoming, which then in trying so hard to avoid we do ourselves.

Aw thanks! yeah im super stoked,  and that would be super cool when the time comes!

haha hey a good death is better than a romance in my opinion, its such a critical moment in the other characters’ lives, doing it right is so poignant to the plot!

haha well i wont forgive anyone for killing my favorite characters but i still ask for more XD

hmmm i haven’t, no! that sounds interesting

haha yeah, we’re cruel, aren’t we? and we enjoy it.

oh man your poor principal XD

also, a meme relevant to this that i made based off conversation with @annabelle earlier XD

Daisy Torres
                        @daisy-torres
                          • Total Posts: 691

@annabelle Yay awesome!! Here’s the link: https://authordaisytorres.wixsite.com/writingdaisies/my-blog

You’re welcome!! I had a lot of fun taking it! I need to make a quiz for Smoke and Mirrors 😛

"It's easy to be caught up in stardust and whispers when reality is so dark and loud."

Elishavet Pidyon
                          @elishavet-pidyon
                            • Total Posts: 1013

@trahia-the-minstrel

Your series is sounding so fun! I don’t know if it’s weird for a girl to end up having a lot of male MCs, but it happens to me too. Many times I’ll start with a female MC, and then end up writing her brother/father as MC. It’s getting a tad bit annoying. XD

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Koshka
                            @koshka
                              • Total Posts: 1424

@trahia-the-minstrel

Of course you can join in!

I literally have one female MC. ONE. I don’t know what happened, and I’m not even sure she fits into the series. I have Five male characters, and I didn’t intend to write one of them. Well, that’s not counting my historical fiction novel that’s sitting on my back burner, but still, that wouldn’t help anything.

Your books sound so good! (Even though I don’t exactly agree on the whole character death thing, I am having an MIA so…)

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Keilah H.
                              @keilah-h
                                • Total Posts: 3875

@koshka A cyborg is a creature, usually human (or in Alan’s case a dragonman), who is partially made out of mechanical parts. Usually cyborgs come into being after a human/dragonman/whatever was badly injured somehow, often as a result of battle or an accident, and their missing body parts are replaced with mechanical ones. I didn’t make that up–cyborg characters are widespread in science fiction.

I actually want to draw a picture of him so you all can see what he looks like!

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Keilah H.
                                @keilah-h
                                  • Total Posts: 3875

@annabelle Thanks! The Dragonmen and Ailurids were actually created for fanfictions, where I wanted to insert human characters in place of the animal characters but I loved the animal dynamics. Plus, wings and tails and cat ears just look plain cool. The Raptaurs were something I made up entirely for a story I wrote but never quite finished, which might be in the same universe as I.T.F.C. but might not be. It was about a human boy who crashed his ship on the Raptaur planet and was rescued by them, because his father had helped them in a war ten or so years before and they felt indebted to his family. I didn’t get all the way through, and the story would need a lot of editing, but it was fun to write.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 467 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >