Hi, I’m new :)

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Hi, I’m new :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    Jean Coul
    @hallie-jean
      • Total Posts: 167

Um, hi. My name’s Hallie and I’m new to KP. I enjoy writing fantasy and pretty much anything fictional! I’ve been writing for a few years now but have never really committed to a single story long enough to finish it. Therefore, I was hoping getting into a writing community would help me feel motivated! I was so blessed to find a Christian based one! I hope I’ll get to know some people on here and I’m so excited to hear about how everyone else’s writing adventures are going! If you have any advice or tips for writing or anything, I’d love to hear them!

Proverbs 16:2

Abigail.M.
      @abigail-m
        • Total Posts: 1242

@hallie-jean

Hello Hallie! Welcome to Kingdom Pen!! 😀

I felt the same way when I found KP, it is almost impossible to find a good Christian writing community, especially one as good as Kingdom Pen:) What’s your favorite story of all time? Favorite setting to write in? Those are just questions I like to ask everybody XD
        Anyway, Welcome! It’s awesome to have you here! 🙂

Linyang Zhang
        @devastate-lasting
          • Total Posts: 1700

@hallie-jean Hi Hallie! Welcome to the Kingdom!

I find this community very inspirational and motivating! Hopefully you’ll find it this way too!

Some questions now…

1. What are some of your favorite books/authors/movies?

2. Any other hobbies besides writing?

3. Some of your favorite desserts?

4. Pineapple on pizza? Yes or no?

I hope you’ll have an awesome time here! Feel free to ask me anything you want, or check out some of the other forums!

Lately, it's been on my brain
          Would you mind letting me know
          If hours don't turn into days

Jean Coul
          @hallie-jean

Hi Abigail! These questions are tough XD Tbh, I have always liked the “Twelve Dancing Princesses” ever since I read a book spin-off of the story years ago. It really was what set me off on my writing journey. I was fascinated by the way I the author described everything so I could picture it so vividly! Then I thought, “I want to do that!” so here I am XD As far as my favorite setting . . . um I usually like creating entirely new worlds to drop my characters into. I typically will write about someone from our world and time finding and exploring an entirely new world full of magic and fantasy!

What story and setting do you like??

Jean Coul
            @hallie-jean

@devastate-lasting Hello Linyang! I didn’t know how to do the replies right so hopefully this works XD Thanks for all your questions!

Favorite book? I love the series Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger. My favorite movies consist of Star Wars, Avengers, Lord of the Rings (LOL I’m a huge geek!)

I also enjoy art, reading, and gymnastics!

I LOVE chocolate. It’s not really a dessert, but I do love it! And I like chocolate chip cookies . . . I guess just anything chocolate XD

Ok, 1) I love pizza! 2) I love Hawaiian pizza! So yes! Pineapple on pizza!

What’s your favorite book genre??

Linyang Zhang
              @devastate-lasting

@hallie-jean Your replies have worked! 🙂

Oo, I’ve heard a lot of good things about Keeper of the Lost Cities. I have a friend who is obsessed with them. And I really like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings as well! I’ve only watched a couple of the Avengers movies, though.

Ah, I used to draw a lot! Nowadays writing takes up too much of my time, though I’d like to return to it, haha…and I also enjoyed reading! I think I took gymnastics for a summer once as a kid…I do ballet now though.

Chocolate is, I agree, very very good. Absolutely supreme.

Yes, Team Pineapple! XD

I really enjoy reading classic and foreign lit! So basically classic literature and manga, haha. What about you? Do you like reading fantasy as well as writing it?

Jean Coul
                @hallie-jean

@devastate-lasting I 10/10 recommend reading KOTLC (Keeper of the Lost Cities) If you get the chance!

I’m trying to get into more classics myself but yes, I usually stick to fantasy or contemporary fiction. However, I’ve been interested in branching out to sci-fi and classics because I’ve heard of so many people recommend some that sound really good!

I always wanted to try a manga! Do you have any suggestions for me??

Alexa Autorski
                  @writerlexi1216
                    • Total Posts: 1011

@hallie-jean

A hearty welcome from Kingdom Pen, my friend! *tips fedora* Oh, and by the way, I offer everybody a cup of coffee when I first meet them, so *hands over coffee mug* enjoy! Kingdom Pen is an amazing place, and I’m sure you’ll fit right in and come to love it as much as I do!

And *gasps* did you say you were a fan of Keeper of the Lost Cities? Me too! And Star Wars? And MarvelAnd Lord of the Rings? *squeals* EEK, we have so much in common! I’m a fan of all of those things, too! That’s neat!

I do have a few questions…

1. Who’s your favorite fictional character?

2. Why do you like writing fantasy?

3. Do you like cookies?

4. Do you like dragons?

Again, it’s nice to meet you! Until next time! 🙂

Jean Coul
                    @hallie-jean

@writerlexi1216 *takes coffee and calmly sips* Why thank you for that warm welcome! I hope I get to know you all better and adjust to the Kingdom as well!

No way! We have so much in common already!

To answer your first question, I do love Keefe Sencen from Keeper of the Lost Cities and Annabeth Chase from Percy Jackson and I’m sure there’s a load more that I just can’t think of right now!

Hmm, I like writing fantasy because it gives you a chance to create things that you could never in real life! For example, warriors who can fly, castles with curses, princesses with magic powers, animals that can talk, etc.

I love cookies! Especially CHOCOLATE cookies!!!

And I love, love, LOVE dragons! I plan on writing a book with them in it in the future. They are my favorite fantasy creature!

Who is your favorite fictional character? What is your favorite dessert? And what’s your favorite writing genre??

Abigail.M.
                      @abigail-m
                        • Total Posts: 1242

@hallie-jean

That’s awesome! I haven’t read the Twelve Dancing Princesses before, but it sounds like a great book!
                        My favorite story is Dark Horseby John Fischer. It’s a fairly short allegory told through POV of a horse. It is so good:)
                        My favorite setting is anything winter or with horses. Which I more often than not employ in my stories:)

But anyway, it has been great meeting you! See you around KP! 😀

Alexa Autorski
                        @writerlexi1216

@hallie-jean

Oh, I love Keefe and Annabeth as well! And the books they come from! I’m so happy to hear that you like fantasy, too! It’s the genre that I only write in, because… I just couldn’t imagine writing anything other than fantasy! It’s whimsical, it’s imaginative, and most of all, it’s really neat to write about things that could never exist in real life.

Yay, another cookie fan!! *mouth waters* Chocolate cookies are the best! (And so are dragons!)

Hmm… I have to say that MY favorite fictional character would probably be either Sophie Foster from KotLC (I haven’t gotten far into the series, so that may change) or Annabeth, or maybe one of the characters from Narnia? I like Narnia a whole lot. My favorite dessert is probably brownies! And my favorite writing genre is… *drum roll*… fantasy!

Linyang Zhang
                          @devastate-lasting

@hallie-jean Then I’ll definitely have to add that to my to-read list!

Ah, I get you. I used to read fantasy and other stuff as well. Now, contrary to what I thought as a child, I enjoy classics a lot more, haha.

Oo, suggestions! I don’t know how old you are, so I’ll be a little cautious when I recommend things…

When someone tells me they’re new to the anime genre, I 100% recommend Fullmetal Alchemist! This is one of the best mangas out there, with well-developed characters and world, a thrilling storyline, really great themes…I think there are some other people on the forum who enjoy it as well. I’d say 14 and up. It’s a fantasy about a guy named Edward Elric who’s trying to get his brother’s body back. The author, Hiromu Arakawa, is one of my favorite mangakas.

I also started Spy x Family recently and it is also one of the best things I’ve read this year! A comedy about a spy who has to start a family for his newest job. I’d also recommend 14 and up.

If you’re older, maybe 16 years and above, I’d recommend Naoki Urasawa’s works to you! He is one of the greatest mangakas out there. I’ve read his Monster and Pluto series before, and I’m in the middle of 20th Century Boys. However, there’s a lot of violence and other stuff that I would not recommend to young people, so…

If you’re 15 and older I’d recommend Bungo Stray Dogs! It’s a fantasy-ish thing about a detective agency. What I really like about this series is that all of the main characters are named after famous authors! However, it does get pretty violent, so…

If you want something more of a romance (read: sad romance), I’d recommend Orange by Ichigo Takano, Your lie in April by Naoshi Arakawa, and I Want to Eat Your Pancreas by Yoru Sumino! I’d say 14 and up.

Anyway, these have been some of my favorites that I’ve read so far.

I write fantasy as well! What’s some of your favorite fantasy things that you’ve created?

Jean Coul
                            @hallie-jean

@abigail-m It was a joy meeting you as well! I love winter and horses so your ideal setting sounds great to me! 🙂

Jean Coul
                              @hallie-jean

@writerlexi1216 Yes! Fantasy is awesome! What’s your current WIP??

And since you haven’t finished KotLC I will gladly say that you have quite the treat in store for you!

Alexa Autorski
                                @writerlexi1216

@hallie-jean

Oooh, that makes me interested to read further!! *whispers* I may read more tonight, if it gets that good!

Well, I don’t have an official summary. It’s set in a fictional world, but basically, there was a terrible war that wiped out magic one thousand years ago, and the corrupted emperor is responsible. So my heroine (her name is Caira) is dragged into a prophecy that says she’s supposed to bring magic back to this crumbling empire/defeat the emperor. It won’t be an easy task.

What about yours? If you feel comfortable sharing, I’d love to know more! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 99 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >