Hey y’all, I’m new!

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Hey y’all, I’m new!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Jodi Maile
    @jodi-maile
      • Total Posts: 138

Hi everyone! My name is Jodi Clark and I write fantasy and historical fiction. I live in Central Oregon and I hike in the beautiful forests out here pretty much every day. My current favorite fantasy books are the Chronicles of Prydain, though I also love the Lord of the Rings. I’ve been homeschooled for most of my life and I’ve been going through college entirely online! I’m excited to be here and to meet all of you. If you have any questions about me, feel free to ask!

Alexa Autorski
      @writerlexi1216
        • Total Posts: 1011

@jodi-maile

Hi there, Jodi! It’s so nice to meet you! I’m Lexi, and everyone who knows me well knows that I offer every newcomer a cup of coffee. Would you like some? Oh, I’ve heard about the Chronicles of Prydain, but I’ve never read them (would you recommend it?)! I enjoy writing fantasy, too! How neat is that? 🙂 Homeschooled, huh? That’s another thing we have in common! *high-fives*

I have a few questions, if you don’t mind:

1. How long have you been writing?

2. Who’s your favorite fictional character?

3. Favorite book?

4. Do you like dragons?

And *looks at checklist* yup, that’s all the questions. Anyways, it’s great to meet you, and a very hearty welcome to Kingdom Pen, new writing friend! 🙂

Abigail.M.
        @abigail-m
          • Total Posts: 1242

@jodi-maile

Hi Jodi! Welcome to KP!
          I’ve heard of Prydain chronicles before and they sounded extremely interesting:) What’s your favorite thing about them?
          I usually write in many different genres, but I absolutely LOVE fantasy! What is your favorite setting to write in? (That’s a question I ask everyone new at KP XD ).
          That must be so awesome to hike in the forests nearly every day, what’s your favorite part of it? The only time I get to hike forests is when I go on trips up north:)
          It is awesome to have you here! 😀

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Abigail.M..
          • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Abigail.M..
          Linyang Zhang
          @devastate-lasting
            • Total Posts: 1700

@jodi-maile Hi there, welcome to the Kingdom! I’m Linyang, and it’s really nice to meet you! I write mainly crime, fantasy, slice of life or all three! I’ve never heard of the Chronicles of Prydain before! They sound quite interesting. I’m also currently homeschooled! I think most of us here are, haha…

Some questions!

1. What are some of your favorite books/authors/genres?

2. What’s your current WIP about?

3. Some favorite desserts?

4. Pineapple on pizza? Yes or no?

Feel free to ask me whatever you wish, and I hope to see you around the forum!

Lately, it's been on my brain
            Would you mind letting me know
            If hours don't turn into days

ella
            @nova21
              • Total Posts: 604

@nova21

Hey Jodi!!!  I’m Ella, and welcome to KP!!!!!!!!!!

A few things about me:

1)  I write fantasy, thriller/suspense, and speculative fiction.

2)  I love smoothies ❤

3)  I’m play basketball and I’m super into running and working out 🏀

My current WIP #1 is a fantasy about an outcast girl trying to save her sister from a horrible engagement and my WIP #2 is a futuristic novel about a girl also trying to save her sister, but this time, from the end of the world, lol.  Apparently I like writing about sisters and their problems, hahaha!!! 😂

Anyways, now to questions for you…

1)  What are you majoring in?

2)  Are you a plotter or a pantser?

3)  Do/did you play any sports?

4)  Tea or coffee? ☕

I LOVE that you get to hike all the time–I ADORE hiking soooo much!!!!!!  Anyways, great to meet you!!!!!!  😃

🤗 -Ella

what we do in life echoes in eternity
              -gladiator, 2000

SeekJustice
              @seekjustice
                • Total Posts: 3365

@jodi-maile

Hello! You’re the new intern aren’t you?? I’m Chelsea R.H/SeekJustice.

Ooh, what’s Oregon like? I imagine it being really pretty! I live in rural New South Wales, and its beautiful here.

And what are you studying? I’m currently working towards getting a Diploma in Sign Language interpreting.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Jodi Maile
                @jodi-maile

Hi Lexi! I’d love coffee, thanks! XD I do recommend the Chronicles of Prydain, they’re wonderful books with great characters. I don’t prefer the last two books in the series, but the rest are fantastic. I’ve been writing since I was ten years old, so it’s been almost eleven years of writing for me! My favorite fictional character would have to be Gandalf from Lord of the Rings, he’s just such a fun wise old mentor character. My current favorite book is such a difficult choice because it changes whenever I read another good one, but I’ll go with Anne of Green Gables for now. And yes, I like dragons! What are your favorite dragons in the books you’ve read?

Jodi Maile
                  @jodi-maile

Hi Chelsea! I am indeed the new intern, so happy to be working with you! 🙂 Oregon is beautiful, full of trees and mountains, which are currently covered in snow where I live.

That’s so cool that you’re getting a Diploma in Sign Language interpreting! I’ve always wanted to learn more of Sign Language than just the alphabet haha. I’m studying for my BA in English, and then hopefully springing off that into getting a masters in education, so I can teach high school.

Jodi Maile
                    @jodi-maile

Hi Abigail! My favorite thing about the Prydain Chronicles would be the characters. Sometimes characters in fantasy stories can seem dry and can be a bit boring compared to the fantastical plot, but the characters in these books are so vibrant and full of personality! My favorite setting to write in would probably be autumnal, forest-y settings. I love the colors and the feeling of change in the air that the season of fall brings. My favorite part of hiking in the forests is that it’s super peaceful, at least on the trails where I go, and you can almost always hear the river in the distance. I take hikes toward the end of the day to help me relax after the work of the day. 🙂

Wyn Rose
                      @wyn-rose
                        • Total Posts: 57

@jodi-maile

Hi Jodi! Welcome to Kingdom Pen! I just joined recently as well. Oregon sounds really nice! (I live in Canada)

I also love Lord of the Rings! Do you have a favorite part (or parts) from the books/movies?

You write fantasy and historical fiction? I’m planning to write a fantasy novel after I finish my current WIP, but I’ve haven’t written historical fiction. What are you currently writing?

Alexa Autorski
                        @writerlexi1216
                          • Total Posts: 1011

@jodi-maile

Oooh, neat!! I’m always on the lookout for new book recommendations, so thank you! 😀 Wow, eleven years?? That’s super cool! Gandalf has to be one of my favorite charries from LotR as well (and Sam!) I’ve watched the movies, but I’m still on the first book, so I need to keep reading lol

Another Anne of Green Gables fan?? YES!! *high-fives* I don’t meet as many fans of that as I’d like!

And, as far as favorite dragon… I really like Smaug. I mean, yes, he was an antagonist, but he was still neat, right? 🙂

Jodi Maile
                          @jodi-maile

@devastate-lasting

Hi Linyang! It’s so nice to meet more homeschoolers who like writing. 🙂

Some of my favorite books would be the Redwall series by Brian Jacques, the Warriors series by Erin Hunter, and many other fantasy and historical fiction books, though I also enjoy some Christian suspense/thriller novels. Some of my favorite authors are Tolkien, CS Lewis, and Naomi Novik, to name just a few!

I’m actually in between WIPs right now. I was working on a retelling of The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen but I stopped for a while when I ran into some roadblocks with the plot, but I’ve been planning on getting started with a story about a girl whose homeland gets invaded, so she has to get involved with a long war in order to win it back.

Favorite desserts: cookies & cream ice cream and chocolate cake are all I can think of right now haha. Yes to pineapple on pizza!

Jodi Maile
                            @jodi-maile

@nova21

Hi Ella! Thank you so much for the welcome! I love smoothies too 🙂 I also like writing about sisters and their problems, or girls who become like sisters and then help each other with their problems haha

I’m majoring in English! It’s a lot of essays but I actually think the academic writing has helped my fiction writing to improve, so that’s nice.

Pantser! I’ve tried to do detailed plots but I just get bored with the story because I feel like I’ve already experienced the story. I use plot points, like what happens at the beginning, middle, and end, but I try to make everything else up along the way.

I used to do fencing! And definitely coffee, even though it’s practically just cream by the time I’m finished making it 😂

Jodi Maile
                              @jodi-maile

@wyn-rose

Hello there! I’ve always wanted to visit Canada. What’s your favorite part about living there?

My favorite part of the Lord of the Rings would probably be the battle at Gondor, when Rohan comes to save everyone. In the movies, that scene always gives me chills because of the gorgeous music.

I’m currently in between WIPs, trying to decide which one to get started on. I have a fantasy retelling of The Snow Queen or a longer historical fantasy-ish story about a girl who has to win her homeland back from an invading army.

@writerlexi1216

The books do take a long time to read! I read them out loud to my siblings once, and I think it took us over a year to finish them. I’m so glad you like Anne of Green Gables too! And I think we can agree on Smaug being cool, though I do love Toothless from HTTYD.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Jodi Maile.
                                Gracie J.
                                @gracie-j
                                  • Total Posts: 1789

@jodi-maile Yay! You’re here! Well, I suppose mine is a belated welcome now (and everyone stole all my questions XD), but I offer it anyway!

It’s so cool you’re majoring in English (I consider it, but changed my mind XD)! And fencing? Y’all, can we not all agree that is super cool? There may come a time when I’m asking you about fencing techniques and jargon…

And you’re a pantser too! Yippee! I use a very similar method to pantsing my novels…speaking of novels, I love the sound of your WIPs!

So, question for you: music while writing–yes or no?

Again, welcome to KP! It’s so great to have you!

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >