Hey Everyone!

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Hey Everyone!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Gracie J.
    @gracie-j
      • Total Posts: 1789

@larchness Thanks! I really enjoy writing about them!

I wonder if the library might have it somewhere…

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Linyang Zhang
      @devastate-lasting
        • Total Posts: 1700

@larchness Oscar Wilde has some really good stuff; I’ll never forget “The Happy Prince”. Harry Potter’s probably one of the only fantasy series I’ve actually enjoyed, I don’t like that much high fantasy. If you haven’t checked out Bryan Davis’s Dragons in Our Midst series I would totally recommend that! One of the few Christian fantasy books that have made it into my favorites.

Lately, it's been on my brain
        Would you mind letting me know
        If hours don't turn into days

Abigail.M.
        @abigail-m
          • Total Posts: 1242

@larchness

Hi and welcome to Kingdom Pen!
          I’m pretty new too, but it’s been awesome here!

That is so cool that your writing a graphic novel. Sadly, the only ones I’ve ever read was the re-making of Anna Sewell’s Black Beauty and also Svetlana Chmakova’s Brave.

If you like swashbuckling kind of tales, Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson’s Peter and The Starcatcher’s trilogy was good. It’s labeled Disney and tells of what Peter Pan was like before he could fly and there’s a lot of backstory about him, the lost boys, and Captain Hook. Although the first book was definitely the best. Disney also has a lot of novels by different authors that are based in one way or another on the movies, I have several and they’re pretty good and often fantasy. As for none Disney fantasy, there is John Flanagan’s Ranger’s Apprentice, (which I haven’t read yet, but are on my shelf waiting their turn to be read).

Anyway, it’s awesome that you are here at KP! Welcome!

Larchness
          @larchness
            • Total Posts: 27

@devastate-lasting Thank you for the recommendation! Yeah the Happy Prince is the exact one I was thinking, that one was always my favourite.

Larchness
            @larchness

@abigail-m Thanks for the welcome! I’ve actually never heard of any of those titles so I’ll be sure to check them out!

Linyang Zhang
              @devastate-lasting

@abigail-m Peter and the Starcatchers! It’s been forever since I read them, and I don’t remember which ones I read, but I remember liking them a lot!

Abigail.M.
                @abigail-m

@larchness

For sure. My favorite of the Disney re-make books was, ‘The Curse of Maleficent.’ It’s the story of Sleeping Beauty told through the POV of Maleficent and it was really good. I know they made a movie that it was based on, but I haven’t watched it.

Abigail.M.
                  @abigail-m

@devastate-lasting

Peter and The Starcatchers was such a great trilogy. When I read the first book, I realized how bad my reading list was lacking in good sea-rollicking tales:) I know that they made a fourth book, ‘The Sword of Mercy.’ It came right after, ‘The Secret of Rundoon,’ but I haven’t read it. And there was another book as well, based on Peter Pan called, ‘Peter Pan in Scarlet,’ by Geraldine McCaughrean and as far as I heard, was the official sequel to Peter Pan and it follows up the story of Peter and the Lost Boys, which I thought was kind of interesting.

Linyang Zhang
                    @devastate-lasting

@abigail-m The 2014 Maleficent film was pretty good, from what I remember. But I was a kiddo back then so I don’t know if my judgement was good.

Trilogy? I think they’ve released five by now… I remember reading the last one first because I thought it wasn’t related. I have no memory of reading the rest, though, besides the first.

I should read the actual Peter Pan at some point…not sure if I have…

Abigail.M.
                      @abigail-m

@devastate-lasting

Five books?! I must be behind the times. I will definitely have to look into that, after how good the first three were.

(And admittedly, I haven’t read the original Peter Pan either).

SeekJustice
                        @seekjustice
                          • Total Posts: 3365

@larchness

I would definitely study the “Dark Ages”. All around the world they were so interesting in different ways, but I couldn’t really narrow it down more than that. I just find that time period so fascinating.

Ah yes, seafaring adventures are so much fun! The novel I’m currently plotting is set in the Golden Age of Piracy (the historical one, not the Pirates of the Caribbean one) and I’ve been reading a lot about it of late.

Alrighty, here goes:

The Pendragon Cycle by Stephen Lawhead (Arthurian inspired novels with a similar vibe to Lord of the Rings. The first three are a pretty neat trilogy and that’s all I’ve read, but there are more after that)

Harry Potter (if you haven’t read it/don’t have anything against it. Very much geared towards Middle Grade in the first ones, more upper Young Adult in the last ones)

Spinning Silver and Uprooted by Naomi Novik (adult fantasy, but heavily grounded in Eastern European cultures. Very enjoyable in my opinion. They’re companion novels, but not really related and have no characters in common so you can read them in either order)

Anything by Brandon Sanderson (I have only read his sci-fi books so far but the fantasy ones are supposed to be very good)

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (I just finished this one and really enjoyed it! It’s a low fantasy about a magical duel to the death, so it was fun)

Romanov and Fawkes by Nadine Brandes (YA, but well worth the read. Both combine history and fantasy very well in my humble opinion)

The Rage of Dragons by Evan Winter (a bit brutal and has some content, but A+ West African fantasy)

Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman (Gaiman’s take on classic Norse myths. Very well written)

Howl’s Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (Middle Grade, but so worth the read no matter what age you are)

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Elizabeth
                          @lewilliams
                            • Total Posts: 252

Hello Chloe, and welcome to the Kingdom of Pen! *offers a cup of green tea with honey and lemon* Do make yourself at home. I’m Elizabeth, and it’s very nice to meet you, even if I am a bit late to the party. 🙂

Hehe, I feel you on the whole cleansing-your-palate thing; I’m in the midst of a BA in English, so every chance I have to diversify what I’m reading, I take it. Though, to be honest, that often means taking a break from reading altogether… 😛 Since you’ve asked for recommendations though, I would suggest The 100 Cupboards trilogy by N.D. Wilson (or any of his other books, really–I’m quite a big fan of his style). It’s a portal fantasy of sorts I believe, and I love it dearly. 😀

That’s so cool that you’re writing a script for a graphic novel!! That sounds like such a neat project. How does that process compare to writing prose?

“Seven seconds till the end. Time enough for you. Perhaps. But what will you do with it?”

Alien and Sojourner in a Foreign Land
                            @william-starkey
                              • Total Posts: 634

@lewilliams @larchness Yeah, N.D.Wilson’s got some pretty great fantasy. He has quite an…interesting imagination, that one.

Larchness
                              @larchness

@seekjustice Wow thank you for all the recommendations!! I definitely love Harry Potter and the Night Circus, and I’ve heard of a couple others on your list but I’d love to read them! You’re right, that era is so fantastic and diverse, no wonder so much fantasy is influenced by it.

Larchness
                                @larchness

@lewilliams Hey Elizabeth, thank you for the welcome and the recs! I haven’t heard of ND Wilson so I’ll be sure to check him out. It’s a shame my local bookstore is closed for browsing otherwise I’d love to go in with a huge list and come out with a stack of new books.

Kudos to you for taking English! I’ve always been amazed by the amount of theory my english friends always had to take, there’s definitely a lot of work involved with that kind degree!

I’d say the process of writing the script is different because it’s heavy on the dialogue and visuals. This means that I don’t have to polish the prose for readers, but I have to be able to clearly convey what I want to show so I can go in later and be able to draw the scene based on these cues. Coming up with interesting details to add to the background is something I love. Dialogue is also something I can’t get enough of, but it’s sometimes hard to try and convey what a more stoic character is feeling just based on what they say, because I can’t rely on an internal monologue to reveal it to readers. I also love being clever with wordplay and working in each character’s heritage and background based on the idioms/syntax/pronunciation they use.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >