Hey Everyone!

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Hey Everyone!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Larchness
    @larchness
      • Total Posts: 27

Hi all, my name is Chloe. I’d come across Kingdom Pen articles in the past, but this Christmas I had the chance to sit down and relax, so I took the opportunity to read through as many of your articles as I could. All of them are fantastic, and I love the Christian perspective your website offers. It’s really challenged me to represent my faith in my writing, and I love it.

About me: Historical fiction and fantasy have always been my favourite genres. I just finished an MA in history so I’ve been cleansing my palate with more fantasy lately–it’s been a while since I’ve actually read any though so I’m open to suggestions! I’m currently working on a fantasy script for a graphic novel, but I’m going to try and find ways to practice my prose as well, and maybe even poetry if I’m brave enough.

Thanks for all you do, I’m excited to be a part of it!

Linyang Zhang
      @devastate-lasting
        • Total Posts: 1700

@larchness Hi Chloe! Welcome to the Kingdom! We’re so glad to have you here!

I’m really glad that you found the articles on this site useful; they really are great.

Ooh, a graphic novel! Do you mind sharing a little about your WIP? I’d love to hear more about it.

What are some other hobbies that you have? Any favorite books, authors, or movies?

Lately, it's been on my brain
        Would you mind letting me know
        If hours don't turn into days

Gracie J.
        @gracie-j
          • Total Posts: 1789

@larchness Another his-fic lover! Wahoo!!!

Anyway, welcome to the Kingdom! I’d ask a few questions, but @devastate-lasting beat me to it! So, instead, I’ll invite you to join “WIP Chat” (where you chat about your WIP…I know it’s not that obvious 😉 ) and “Writer’s Corner” (where you are offered a cup of coffee tea whilst you write). If you have any questions, feel free to ask! Everyone on the forum is just as, if not more, helpful than KP’s blog articles!

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Scoutillus Finch
          @scoutfinch180
            • Total Posts: 413

@larchness

Welcome to KP!

I enjoy writing fantasy as well but am doing a sci-fi right now.

I recommend Till We Have Faces and The Space Trilogy (even though it has a spaceship and aliens, it really is more of a interplanetary fantasy than anything else) by C.S. Lewis, Phantastes, The Princess and the Goblin, the Princess and Curdie, and The Light Princess by George MacDonald, The Wingfeather Saga by Andrew Peterson, and I am currently reading The Weaver Trilogy by Lindsay A. Franklin and am at about the midpoint in the last book and have really enjoyed it so far.

Is your graphic novel script for a fantasy?

We crazy people are the normal ones.

Kathleen
            @kathleenramm
              • Total Posts: 635

@larchness

Welcome to the forum! It’s so awesome to have you here on this fine morning in the Kingdom of Pen.

I’m so happy you like the articles! All of the authors are simply fans and volunteers of Kingdom Pen sharing their experience and lessons they’ve learned from writing. Which is I think why it feels so special.

Oooh, I love graphic novels! Do you do the illustrations or do you just do the writing part? Also, do you have any favorite graphic novels?

Anonymous
                • Total Posts: 1379

@larchness

Welcome to Kingdom Pen! I’m very new here myself, and everyone has been just so kind. It’s great to meet you – so glad you’ve joined us!

Larchness
                @larchness

@devastate-lasting Thank you! To sum it up in a sentence, my WIP’s about two brothers, retainers to an exiled ruler, who have to save the nation from evil creatures while also dealing with a civil war. It’s been great creating different character dynamics and relationships that comes out in the dialogue, but I’ve got my work cut out for me when it comes to plotting this monster-sized project. For hobbies and favourite stuff besides writing, I’m definitely a Tolkien fan. Ever since I read the Silmarillion a few years ago it’s been my absolute favourite book. Favourite movie would be Master and Commander, a movie based on one of my favourite series by Patrick O’Brian.

Thanks @gracie-j I’ll check those out! If you ever have any recommendations for historical fiction I’m always aching for more 😀

@scoutfinch180
                  Thank you for the recommendations! The script is definitely fantasy! In fact, I got the idea when I first watched BBC’s Merlin because I loved the characters and medieval setting so much. The story’s evolved a lot since then but I’m still trying to keep within the genre.

Thanks @kathleenramm! Haha right now for me it feels like evening because the sun’s gone down, even though it’s dinner time. The joys of living up north. If everything goes to plan, I’d love to do all the illustrations for the novel as well, even though it will mean spending more time on the project and having the writing all done up front. It’s sad but I haven’t read too many graphic novels, though I’m trying to build up my repertoire. I do love Kate Beaton though, I think she is hilarious and I have a couple of her books. Nimona by Noelle Stevenson was also a great read!

@joy-caroline Thank you for the welcome!  It’s great to see another bumbling henchman 😀

SeekJustice
                  @seekjustice
                    • Total Posts: 3365

@larchness

Hello there! I’m Chelsea R.H., otherwise known as SeekJustice!

I really enjoy history and would have loved the chance to study it (weirdly enough, I went the dog training/disbility care route). What are your favourite periods/things to study?

Ooh, I have so many fantasy recommendations! What are your preferences (subgenres, YA, adult, high, low, Christian, secular etc)?

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Gracie J.
                    @gracie-j

@larchness Please do! Oh, and I always have TONS of recommendations! Laura Frantz (colonial America), Francine Rivers (biblical), Julie Lessman (19th century America), and Roseanna M. White (biblical, Edwardian England, etc.) are definitely some of my absolute favorites! I also love Kristi Ann Hunter (Regency), MarLu Tyndall (you like Patrick O’Brian? Well, she writes about pirates and the Royal Navy too!), and Karen Witemeyer (wild west).

Then there’s also this particular author by the name of Grace A. Johnson…

Do you have any recommendations???

Larchness
                      @larchness

@seekjustice Hey Chelsea, nice to meet you! Sounds like you found a really cool and rewarding career path! If you were to study history which area would you choose? I wrote on early American politics but I’m also a sucker for Regency England (Austen made me fall for Mr. Darcy and Captain Wentworth and there’s no return from that). I also love anything to do with the royal navy, seafaring adventures, etc.

I’m into low and high fantasy, really depends on my mood. YA’s always been my go-to in the past but I’d love to find books more geared towards older adults. Not sure about subgenres, but I love me some swashbuckling and heroic quests!

Larchness
                        @larchness

@gracie-j Oh man, you hit all of my favourite eras with those recommendations, I’m definitely checking those out. And I’m fascinated, what do you write about?

TBH I just went through my bookshelves and realized most of my history books are nonfiction, and that’s no good! But one that I’ve always loved is Michael Morpurgo’s The Elephant in the Garden, set during WWII. The Book Thief is also a good one of course. C.S. Forester’s Hornblower series is entertaining as well but I find it doesn’t have the same heart and soul as the Aubrey-Maturin books. Also this isn’t strictly historical fiction, but did you know Napoleon once wrote a love story? It’s called Clisson and Eugenie, so if you’ve ever laid awake wondering what a love story written by Napoleon Bonaparte would look like, it’s worth a read.

Gracie J.
                          @gracie-j

@larchness That’s great! I actually write about pirates during the Golden Age (1650-1720), but I’m planning on expanding my horizon all the way from biblical fiction to contemporary and fantasy one day…

I’ve actually heard a lot of goods things about The Book Thief, so I may have to check that one out. And, seriously…Napoleon wrote a love story? Now that is something you don’t hear every day. I definitely gonna have to look that up.

Linyang Zhang
                            @devastate-lasting
                              • Total Posts: 1700

@larchness Ooh, brothers! I do love brother dynamics. And J.R.R. Tolkien is of course of the best.

What other fantasy books have you read?

Lately, it's been on my brain
                              Would you mind letting me know
                              If hours don't turn into days

Larchness
                              @larchness

@gracie-j Now that sounds fantastic! So many of those old pirates seem larger than life, it’s pretty incredible to read about the things they got up to.

I know! As soon as I heard about it I had to buy it. It’s just so dramatic and flowery too, which is really unexpected.

Larchness
                                @larchness

@devastate-lasting Me too! The banter is honestly the funnest thing to write, there’s nothing better than two brothers who take every opportunity to drag each other’s reputation through the mud but would simultaneously sacrifice everything for each other in a moments’ notice.

I love Terry Pratchett. His stuff never fails to make me laugh. I also love the traditional fairy tales, I grew up on Hans Christian Anderson and the short stories by Oscar Wilde, though I’m not sure if that fits neatly into “fantasy.” Then there’s the usual–Harry Potter, Paolini’s Eragon books, which was really the series that got me into modern-day fantasy in the first place. Do you have any favourites from the genre that you’d recommend?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >