Hello, there!

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Hello, there!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Linus Smallprint
    @linus-smallprint
      • Total Posts: 28

Hello Kingdom Pen!

You can call me Linus Smallprint. I reside in Canada, where the weather is cold, and when it is not, we have construction everywhere. Since I am on this forum board, it should be no surprise to you that I am a Christian who likes to write, but allow me to tell you about some of my other interests. I also am an artist, mainly sketching with a 2B pencil, but I am also in the process of learning digital art. Those who know me know very well that I am an AFOL (Adult Fan Of Lego). Coding is another interest of mine and I am a web developer and designer.

A fact about myself many of you may find encouraging, God used a fictional story to save me (Patricia St. John’s Star of Light). In the story, a boy gives up everything he has to follow Jesus. This led me to consider how much I was holding onto my worldly possessions and I realized that to make them more important than Christ was folly.  I now aim to use my writing to glorify God and build up and encourage those around me.

As for my current project, I am working on a fantasy series I call The Narrow Path Trilogy (or TNPT, if you like to be lazy, like me). I have successfully managed to remotivate myself to write my second draft of the first book, The Cost. What is it about? Well here is my synopsis for book one:

“Alan Wherl has made the grave mistake of using the twisted magic of his world, which has left him forever scarred. He is no longer entirely human and is viewed as a monster by society. Worse, his parent were both consumed by it, and Alan believes it is all his fault. But the Wizard is not ready to give up yet and is determined to redeem himself and his family’s name. He plans to join his country’s army and become a hero. Will he overcome his guilt this way, or does Alan need something greater? Something that demands a cost even greater than magic itself…”

My goal with this series is to ask the reader challenging questions and encourage Christians to hold onto Christ no matter what. The path is narrow, but to follow Christ, it is worth travelling.

I look forward to meeting you all!

HighScribe
      @highscribeofaetherium
        • Total Posts: 2238

Greetings, and welcome to KP! It’s nice to meet you!

Allow me to introduce myself. I’m Bridget/HighScribe. I love swords and swishy cloaks. My favorite color is seafoam green and in my spare time I like to formulate my survival plan for the impending zombie apocalypse (I’m just kidding, probably). My favorite genre is GOOD BOOKS (but I mostly write fantasy [and maybe a little sci-fi {hehe I love parenthesis}]). I also love drawing (2B pencils for the win!).

YESSSSSS LEGO!!!!!

A fact about myself many of you may find encouraging, God used a fictional story to save me (Patricia St. John’s Star of Light). In the story, a boy gives up everything he has to follow Jesus. This led me to consider how much I was holding onto my worldly possessions and I realized that to make them more important than Christ was folly.  I now aim to use my writing to glorify God and build up and encourage those around me.

That’s awesome! 😊

Your series sounds really cool, plz tag me if you ever share more (no pressure).

Questions!

Do you have a favorite book/series (if you can’t choose you can give a top three or four)?

Would you try watermelon on pizza?

What is the most reoccurring characteristic among your characters (physical or personality-wise)?

Anyhow, I shall see you around! Farewell! 👋

History is a wheel that has outlasted many hamsters.

Annoying side character of the KP cast.

HighScribe
        @highscribeofaetherium

How did I forget your tag? *facepalm*

@linus-smallprint
          ^

Linus Smallprint
          @linus-smallprint

Hello @highscribeofaetherium,

Nice to meet you too!

Your series sounds really cool, plz tag me if you ever share more (no pressure).

Thank you, I may be looking for beta readers when I finish my second draft, and has proven difficult to get my friends to read my first draft. I will keep you posted.

Do you have a favourite book/series (if you can’t choose you can give a top three or four)?

I am definitely part of the Wingfeather fan club. My imagination is not altogether different from Andrew Peterson’s, and the series has been an inspiration for me. Sometimes, I can’t even tell if an idea was my own or whether the Wingfeather Saga inspired it (for example, Alan becoming part monster and dealing with guilt and people rejecting him is similar to Kalmar’s plotline in The Monster in the Hollows). Janner is one of my favorite fictional characters and I find him relatable. I have only seen the first season of the show so far.

Another favourite of mine is Alcatraz Verses the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson. It follows a teenage boy named Alcatraz with a special superpower: breaking things! I have never read another series like it. It is narrated in the first person but in a unique way. Right after being informed that something explodes, you may get a whole rant on how disgusting fish sticks are. This series is very creative and a fun read. Just don’t last-page it.

Overall, I like to read fantasy books aimed at the pre-teen age best. These books tend to be cleaner than stuff for older audiences, but can still have enough to them to be interesting.

Would you try watermelon on pizza?

Probably not. Pineapple on pizza is good, but this does not seem right. I suppose if you forced me to, I would, but I won’t go out of my way to try this. Is this something you have tried?

What is the most reoccurring characteristic among your characters (physical or personality-wise)?

Interesting question. In TNPT most of my characters have a hard time fitting in.  I do not have many characters outside of this world currently, so it is hard to say if this applies everywhere. I do know that my characters tend to be introverts.

Physically, I do have fantasy races in my books, and these tend to be human-animal hybrids (part of the reason why my imagination may feel similar to Andrew Peterson’s although I have a lot more of these creatures in the main cast). So far, in my main cast of TNPT, there is only one character who is human and will not gain any animal-like features through the series, and I am going to make sure she stays that way.

I am going to fire your questions right back at you, @highscribeofaetherium, with one additional one. What is one of your favourite book/movie quotes?

The Ducktator
            @theducktator
              • Total Posts: 247

@linus-smallprint

Greetings! (officially)

I am The Ducktator, also known as Abigail, ruler of a vast ducktatorship. I am 15, homeschooled, and a Christian writer of fantasy, romance, and other random harder to classify WIPs. I love reading, dancing, and birding, and I am obsessed with ducks and anything duck related.

Your book sounds really interesting! And I love Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians, though I actually like fish sticks lol. Some random questions!

What is your favorite kind of pancake?

Real Christmas trees or fake?

Would you rather have a treehouse or a cave hideout?

Favorite bird?

If you could have any object from a fictional world, what would it be?

In your opinion, is Janner resurrected?

Ubi est mea anaticula cumminosa?

TheShadow
              @theshadow
                • Total Posts: 36

@linus-smallprint

Hello and welcome!! My name is TheShadow (or Shadow for short).  I play a bit of piano, draw, read, bake on the weekends, and write in my spare time. My favorite book genres are action/adventure, fantasy, and mysteries (as long as they are well written). I also have a little obsession with cats and knights lol.

Your testimony is amazing, and your books sound really interesting!! Oh, and I hope digital art is going well for you!

And if you wouldn’t mind, here are some questions for you:

1. What season of the year is your favorite and why?

2. Do you have a favorite movie, and if so what is it?

3. Have any favorite Bible stories or passages?

And last but certainly not least, what is your favorite animal?

Nice to meet you, and bye for now!

-GRCR-
                @grcr
                  • Total Posts: 953

@linus-smallprint

Hi!! Greetings from Burne!

I’m -GRCR-! I’m a fiction fantasy-ish writer, an avid artist, an animator, a journalist for my fictional newspaper, and a character lover/creator that has over three hundred. I enjoy listening to music and imagining my characters singing the songs.

Welcome to KP! 😁

(Ahh, a fellow Lego fan!)

Your book/series sounds really interesting!

Here are some questions for you!!

What’s your favorite color?

If you were going to write an entirely original and new book, what would you create first: the world or the characters?

And, what song will always remind you of last year?

Well… that’s it from me. Hope you enjoy KP, and I’ll see you around! 🙃

...i see the world in my head every time i close my eyes...

HighScribe
                  @highscribeofaetherium

@linus-smallprint

As I was going to say before the site rudely shut down for three days…

I love love loooooooooove WFS! I forgot the second season of the show was out, I haven’t watched it either. I thought the first season was pretty good, though.

BTW have you read either of Andrew Peterson’s nonfiction books?

I really like Sanderson, though I haven’t read any of his middle-grade books, I’m a big fan of some of his other series.

Just don’t last-page it.

I’m not familiar with this term. What does it mean?

Probably not. Pineapple on pizza is good, but this does not seem right. I suppose if you forced me to, I would, but I won’t go out of my way to try this. Is this something you have tried?

I have. Not cooked on, cuz that would make a swamp, but raw watermelon. It actually wasn’t that atrocious. It was best on BBQ chicken pizza.

Interesting question. In TNPT most of my characters have a hard time fitting in.  I do not have many characters outside of this world currently, so it is hard to say if this applies everywhere. I do know that my characters tend to be introverts.

Same, most of my characters are introverts. I have a huge lack of extroverts (ironic, cuz I am an extrovert).

Physically, I do have fantasy races in my books, and these tend to be human-animal hybrids (part of the reason why my imagination may feel similar to Andrew Peterson’s although I have a lot more of these creatures in the main cast). So far, in my main cast of TNPT, there is only one character who is human and will not gain any animal-like features through the series, and I am going to make sure she stays that way.

Cool. Are they like anthropomorphic animals, or more of a mix of human and animal characteristics?

I am going to fire your questions right back at you, @highscribeofaetherium, with one additional one. What is one of your favourite book/movie quotes?

Alrighty. My top three books/series are (in no particular order):

The Wingfeather Saga,

Mistborn,

The Door on Half-Bald Hill

(I have huge list on my profile page if you want to know the rest but those are probably my faves)

A lot of my characters have black hair lol (I know, super boring). I’m having a hard time thinking about anything else right now.

What is one of your favourite book/movie quotes?

Hmm… *digs through commonplace book*

Most of my commonplace quotes are from songs lol.

Maybe this one?

“Since we were made to glorify God, worship happens when someone is doing exactly what he or she was made to do.”

Adorning the Dark by Andrew Peterson

Also I really love this Bible verse:

“The glory of God is to conceal things, but the glory of kings is to search things out.”

– Proverbs 25:2

How about you?

Trailblazer
                    @trailblazer
                      • Total Posts: 604

@linus-smallprint

Welcome to KP! I’m Janessa, aka Trailblazer, because I love mountains and hiking. Unlike many of the young writers on here, I do not write fantasy (I don’t usually read it either, although ironically my favorite series is fantasy). Most of what I write is contemporary or historical fiction, but I’ve also tried my hand at mystery, and I was a journalist for my school’s newspaper during my one and only year in public school. I also enjoy photography as a hobby.

Hmmm… the questions I usually ask were taken already… so let’s see what else I can come up with.

Favorite ice cream flavor?

A highlight from the past year?

Favorite place you’ve visited?

"Real love is for your good, not for your comfort." -Justin Whitmel Earley

Linus Smallprint
                      @linus-smallprint

@theducktator

Greetings (of the official sort) to you as well!

What is your favorite kind of pancake?

Not sure. For some reason, I find day-old pancakes with a slice of processed cheese quite good. Don’t ask why…

Real Christmas trees or fake?

My family to do real until two years ago when we switched to fake. Both have their pro’s and cons, but I think I prefer real overall.

Would you rather have a treehouse or a cave hideout?

Treehouse, definitely. Especially if it provides an excellent view of the surrounding area.

Favorite bird?

Sorry, not a big duck fan. Those birds like grapes too much. I prefer eagles and falcons.

If you could have any object from a fictional world, what would it be?

Hmm… Perhaps I would take all the chronosteel timeblades from Ninjago: Hands of Time except the reversal one. I’m a bit of a perfectionist and the temptation to reverse time until I get things right would be too much. However, I think the fast forward, slow motion, and pause time blades would all have their uses. Being able to fast-forward through long bus rides would be great and some things look very cool when put in slow motion.

In your opinion, is Janner resurrected?

I feel like it would take away from the story if Janner came back. The Wingfeather story is all about him learning to be selfless and when he takes the stone, he is showing that he cares more for his brother and his kingdom than for his own life. If Janner is resurrected soon after, it seems like his sacrifice is not worth as much. Other than not breaking his family’s heart, there is no need for him to come back. The fangs and cloven present were cured. There is no eternal suffering he needs to pay in order to make everyone normal again. (I’m pretty sure Janner is supposed to be a Christ figure in some ways, but not to that extent. He too needed the Maker to save him.) As he dies, he gets the rest he has wanted, so bringing him back would also disturb him from that.

On the other hand, Janner has no idea there might be a way that he can come back. So if he did, it actually does not take away as much from his sacrifice. But I still think it better fits his story if he is not resurrected.

(Wow, answering this question got me a bit emotional, and I usually do not get emotional.)

Thank you for the questions, they were fun to answer. Now what is your answer to all of them? (Other than a favourite bird. You have made it pretty clear that you love ducks.)  Also, if you could visit any fictional world, what would it be?

Linus Smallprint
                        @linus-smallprint

Thank you for the welcome @theshadow!

What season of the year is your favorite and why?

I like Fall best. The temperatures are just right. Not too hot and not too cold. It is not messy like spring. The bugs are gone. I like the colours of the leaves. The only downside for us Canadians is it only lasts a couple of weeks before all the leaves are off the trees and snow is coming. But it is great while it lasts!

Do you have a favorite movie, and if so what is it?

It is hard for me to name a specific one. Most of my family likes the Narnia movies. They are fun to quote. I also like the Lego and Spiderverse films (minus the Ninjago Movie). As I told The Ducktator, I don’t get emotional often, but The Truman Show was one that almost had me crying.

Have any favorite Bible stories or passages?

Nebucanezurs journey to humility is quite interesting. I wonder if we will see him in heaven.

SiniceI am a bit of a worrier, I find passages like Matthew 6:25-34 encouraging. Is it not good to know that God will supply our every need?

And last but certainly not least, what is your favorite animal?

Wolves. In all my fantasy writing, there is quite likely to be a wolf-like creature.

Nice to meet you. What are all your favourites of the things you asked me about? Also, what is your favourite holiday?

Linus Smallprint
                          @linus-smallprint

Greetings @grcr!

What’s your favorite color?

I like shades of green similar to what is used in the header for this website.

If you were going to write an entirely original and new book, what would you create first: the world or the characters?

I usually start with characters. Characters feel a little more important to me than the world they are in. Then I can also shape the world around the characters to tell a story that fits their needs. I might draw a picture of a character and ask myself who that individual is. TNPT started very much like this, even if Alan now looks completely different than my original drawing of him.

And, what song will always remind you of last year?

I don’t really know. I don’t listen to music much other than video game music or seeds family worship songs. Perhaps Far More Abundantly form Seeds family worship or the main theme from Dragon’s Rising? Ask me again in five years, and I might have a better answer for you.

Thank you for the welcome, Burne! What is your answer to all of your questions? And a question from me, do you keep your Lego sets together or build your own MOCs?

-GRCR-
                            @grcr
                              • Total Posts: 953

@linus-smallprint

(Sorry if you receive this a few times, I was having a hard time sending/posting…)

I like shades of green similar to what is used in the header for this website.

Ah, nice. ‘Tis a very pleasing color.

I usually start with characters. Characters feel a little more important to me than the world they are in. Then I can also shape the world around the characters to tell a story that fits their needs. I might draw a picture of a character and ask myself who that individual is. TNPT started very much like this, even if Alan now looks completely different than my original drawing of him.

Interesting.

I don’t really know. I don’t listen to music much other than video game music or seeds family worship songs. Perhaps Far More Abundantly form Seeds family worship or the main theme from Dragon’s Rising? Ask me again in five years, and I might have a better answer for you.

I see.

Thank you for the welcome, Burne! What is your answer to all of your questions?

😊

My favorite color is red. I like most shades of it, but blood red is top of my list.

I like designing the worlds, but haha, definitely characters first. I love characters. 😅

And for a song… hmm, I don’t know. I can’t really remember what I listened to last year. Bring Me To Life by Evanescence or Dynamite by BTS… heh, I don’t know.

And a question from me, do you keep your Lego sets together or build your own MOCs?

Ehh, it kinda depends on the set. We (my siblings and I) take them down if we don’t like them and would rather use the pieces, but we keep some things up—like Speed Champions, and the few Expert sets we have. I do like to build MOCs though.

...i see the world in my head every time i close my eyes...

Linus Smallprint
                              @linus-smallprint

@trailblazer

Nice to meet you! Books outside of fantasy can be fun too and we need some Christian writers who can write for the historical-fiction and mystery audiences as well!

My favourite ice cream flavour would be Cookies and Cream.

A highlight from last year was an opportunity to work on a website for a LEGO marketplace website called Bazaar Brick. My team did not have time to finish the website, but I believe it is still up and running. I like photography as well, and put my skills to use creating some fun Minifigure images.

Favourite place I have visited? That might be Whitehorse, in Yukon, Canada. My dad grew up there, so several years ago we did a family trip. It is a great place to visit if you love the outdoors. You can be on a trail in the middle of the city and not hear any vehicles.

What is your answer to your questions? And since I have been giving everyone else an additional question, what is the highest mountain you have climbed?

Thank you for the welcome, I will see you around!

Linus Smallprint
                                @linus-smallprint

Hello again @highscribeofaetherium!

The only non-Wingfeather book of Andrew Peterson’s I have read is Adorning the Dark. This book encouraged me to get through my first draft of TNPT.

Last-paging is the malicious act of flipping to the final pages of a story and reading them before you have read the rest of the book. Those who have attempted it have been reported to lose sleep and video game skills. It also is a major cause of cancer in fruit bats. Don’t do it (although I cannot say I am innocent of the act). Alcatraz books usually have a humorous or overly dramatic false ending after the real one to throw any last-pagers off.

In response to your final question, I usually draw more anthropomorphic animals, but there are some races that are more human. I was going to try to use my web developer knowledge to get past the image glitches in this website. But that did not work. Nither did adding links to this, so I will try just telling you a bit about each of my fantasy races in TNPT.

~ Lyens: Proud anthropomorphic lions that think they should rule everything. They are terrible when it comes to names. Usually, they just take a word related to lion and change the spelling.

~ Wizards: Monstrous anthropomorphic crows covered in purple, lightning-shaped scars. Anyone who uses magic risks becoming one of these.

Kentors: More human than most other races, kentors have some deer-like features like tails and hooves for feet, but no antlers. They are quite timid and rely, perhaps a little too much, on other races for protection.

~ Gorbs: Anthropomorphic Australian water dragons at war with the lyens, who want to take over the Gorb homeland, Zimbwania. Gorbs are reported to be fierce savages, but that does not mean none of them are cheerful and friendly.

~ Kunulfs: Antropamorphic wolves who prefer to keep to themselves. However, they have some loyalty to other races, especially kentors, and protect them against rouge wizards.

See you around!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >