Hello, Humans!

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Hello, Humans!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    AveryTheExplodey
    @a-r-kuhn
      • Total Posts: 8

So nice to meet y’all!

@trailblazer

What is one thing God did in your life this past year? Hmm… God did a lot of things in my life this year, including one really big thing I prefer not to talk about, but one thing He did this year that I’m really grateful for was He got me safely through my first semester of university. 🙂

What is one thing on your bucket list? Oh dear. I know there’s a lot of things on there… this another one of those things that lives in my head and isn’t written down… let’s see, I’d really love to travel the world, which I guess is only very slightly different from Italy. But there are so many places I want to go and see all over the world, if I ever get the chance.

Do you have a favorite quote? I love a lot of quotes! So many, in fact, that I don’t know if I could choose a favorite… *scours my Pinterest boards* Ooh, here’s a good one: “Nothing ever ends poetically. It ends and we turn it into poetry. All that blood was never once beautiful. It was just red.” -Kait Rokowski (no idea who that is, but I like the quote)

@savannah_grace2009

Do you have any pets? Yes, a very fat tabby cat named Sparky and a big goofy dog named Hank. 🙂

What is your favorite animal? Cats. I like their personalities. So I write about them.

What genre do you write? Hmm… I’ve dabbled in a bit of sci-fi and real-world adventure, but my heart is in fantasy, especially Young Adult and New Adult, although I’ve tried Middle Grade… I’m kind of all over the place. XD

@rae

Have you ever had the same foot stepped on seven times by seven different horses? I’ll be quite honest, no. I’m not a horse person and I’d prefer to avoid this exact situation. Nothing against horses, they’re just so huge it scares me. Let’s call it a healthy fear.

@hybridlore

What is your dream profession? I read that you’re getting an English degree.. are you planning on teaching later? I’m afraid you’ve asked the pet-peeve question of all English majors. XD I don’t intend to teach (unless you count my intention to homeschool my kids when I grow up). My dream profession is probably librarian, but what I really want to do with my life (because God has called me to) is write and publish.

Favorite books? Weirdly enough, my two favorite books in the world aren’t in my genre. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee and Emily of New Moon by LM Montgomery. I love the first because it’s so amazingly well-written and such a good story. I love the second because it’s a beautiful story (a trilogy, actually) about a young girl (very dreamy, definitely melancholic) who becomes a writer. 🙂

No, I don't know why it's on fire. *sighs*

hybridlore
      @hybridlore
        • Total Posts: 1354

@a-r-kuhn

Oops… xD I’m trying to figure out what I want to get a degree for/if I am, so I’m just curious what other writers are doing, haha.

Oh, awesome! I would also love to be a librarian but I have to get my driver’s license first… xD My parents would probably not want to drive me to ours all the time, since it’s not super close.

Cool! I’ve never read Emily of New Moon but I have read To Kill a Mockingbird.

Bonus questions that I just thought of! What do you like about your genre and what books inspired you to start writing in it?

There is always light behind the clouds.
        - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

Ellie Wingfeather
        @ellie-wingfeather
          • Total Posts: 14

@a.r.kuhn

Hello! Welcome! I only just joined a few days ago myself, lol!

Your WIP sounds very interesting!

Esther
          @esther-c
            • Total Posts: 3198

@a-r-kuhn

1. How long have you been writing? Well, technically since I was nine, but seriously since I was 12… and there’s still so much I don’t know! I kind of self-taught and just did a lot of random stuff and explored and experimented… then recently I realized, “Hmm, it might be helpful to know what I’m doing.”

Same here! Well, sort of. I was 9 when I tried writing a full-length book and found out how difficult it was. I was so puzzled as to how authors got their chapters longer than a page. XD

Oh yes, always helpful to know what you’re doing. 😂

2. What are you majoring in at the university? (If you don’t mind sharing of course, 😉 ) English! I am an English person through and through.

Awesome!! I would probably enjoy literature, but not the grammar part. 😂 Yeah, I’m a writer, but grammar is boring to me XD

3. What’s your dream vacation? Italy. I’d be able to see Renaissance history and Ancient Roman history all in one place. 🙂

I love it!! Italy would be so cool to visit!

4. Favorite part about being a writer? Hmm… The mystery. My brother will never understand me. 😉 Jk, my fave part is the characters. I love them. They live in my head and drive me insane. XD

For real though 😂

Yes, characters are so much fun!

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

RAE
            @rae
              • Total Posts: 2995

@a-r-kuhn

they’re just so huge it scares me. Let’s call it a healthy fear.

I guess i have no healthy fear then…  I ride a horse twice a week, and lead probably around thirty-forty horses a week. I’m not afraid of even the biggest of horses, and I’m just plain insane. I was born loving horses, so I just never give up on them. 😁

#Justiceforsandwichclone
              #theclonesdeservedbetter
              #HugRikerSquad
              #HugHans

AveryTheExplodey
              @a-r-kuhn

Y’all seem like really interesting people!

@hybridlore

Bonus questions that I just thought of! What do you like about your genre and what books inspired you to start writing in it? Hmm… I think I love fantasy because of the endless possibilities. I’ve always wanted to have magical powers or live in a magical world, and writing it is my way of living it, I guess. As for what books inspired me to start writing it… this will sound absolutely insane, but… none. My best friend is OBSESSED with Tolkien and when we were 12, she wanted to collaborate on a project with some of our other friends, and of course it had to be fantasy. I enjoyed writing it so much I never stopped! I didn’t actually start reading fantasy until after I started writing it! XD which sounds insane but has actually worked out pretty well.

hybridlore
                @hybridlore
                  • Total Posts: 1354

@a-r-kuhn

That’s a good answer! Yeah, me too, lol. Though I don’t think I would want to live through some of the things I make happen to my characters… XD.

Wow, that’s crazy! Had you ever written stories before that, or was she the one who got you into it?

There is always light behind the clouds.
                  - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

Beth Torres
                  @beth-torres
                    • Total Posts: 325

@a-r-kuhn

Hello! Welcome to KP.

I’m Elizabeth. I’m homeschooled, and I love fantasy and going fun places. I also like cats, I have a pet cat named Willow. She’s crazy and shoes and socks terrify her. Idk why.

Questions:

Would you own a fire-breathing cat if you had the option to do so?

What’s the weirdest, most interesting or funniest cloud shape you’ve ever seen?

Favorite book?

Have you ever tried to climb a palm tree?

Do you like axolotls or do you think they’re terrifying?

It is nice to meet you!

Please confer to me a moment as I proceed to scrutinize this thought to the maximum degree.

Allison
                    @acancello
                      • Total Posts: 838

@a-r-kuhn

Hi! I’m Acancello, also known as Allison! I am homeschooled and in 10th grade. I love dogs, traveling, acting, trying weird food, writing, reading, gaming, talking and a lot more 😁! I am writing a dystopian and post-apocalyptic thriller novel now. I’m so glad you could come to Kingdom Pen! Alright, now I’ll ask you some hopefully not already asked questions 😉

You can take three books to a deserted island, which three?

Do you like to do any sports? If not, do you have any other activities you like to do?

How often do you like to write?

What is your favorite character you have written?

Hope you love KP!!

TheArcaneAxiom
                      @thearcaneaxiom
                        • Total Posts: 1250

@a-r-kuhn

Welcome to KP!

I’m the Arcane Axiom. I like math, searching for divine fundamental truth, and exploring that in my writing. I read/write sci-fi/fantasy, and currently am working on a universe with my sister we call the Septrum.

Questions:

Do you lean towards hard or soft worldbuilding? (Hard meaning concrete rules for the reader to follow, vs soft meaning open possibility, and anything goes.)

What is your favorite worldbuilding concept you’ve seen before, whether it be in your own writing or someone elses?

And last but not least:

If everyone on the earth suddenly stopped yawning, how long do you think it would take for anyone to figure that out?

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

AveryTheExplodey
                        @a-r-kuhn

Y’all sound like very interesting people! It’s nice to meet you!

@hybridlore

Had you ever written stories before that, or was she the one who got you into it? I’d written some stories, mostly mysteries with anthropomorphic animals. 🙂

@beth-torres

Would you own a fire-breathing cat if you had the option to do so? Absolutely. And I’d name him or her Ember.

What’s the weirdest, most interesting or funniest cloud shape you’ve ever seen? Hmm… think I saw a camel once. I’ve seen some weird ones but I haven’t mentally catalogued them, unfortunately.

Favorite book? Emily of New Moon or To Kill a Mockingbird.

Have you ever tried to climb a palm tree? No, but I’ve been tempted.

Do you like axolotls or do you think they’re terrifying? Axolotls are terrified of me. Jk, I actually live in an area where there’s an endangered kind of axolotl in the water, and I think they’re cute.

@acancello

You can take three books to a deserted island, which three? Hmm… one would be about how to survive on a desert island. The other two would be really thick epic fantasy books. One of them would probably be The Aeronaut’s Windlass by Jim Butcher.

Do you like to do any sports? If not, do you have any other activities you like to do? I am perhaps the least athletic person I know, but I’ll go for a game of gaga ball when it’s available to me. Other activities I enjoy include baking sweets and singing. I sing worship at my church sometimes.

How often do you like to write? Every day if possible, though I went on hiatus in December after winning NaNoWriMo, and this month I’m focused on outlining a novel rather than writing one.

What is your favorite character you have written? Gonna have to say Kai. He is both my favorite character and the one I find most personally annoying. He’s just so human. He drives me insane. But he’s also perhaps the most vibrant and true-to-life character I’ve written. He’s thrust into a fantasy world and reacts exactly how someone thrust into a fantasy world would react.

@thearcaneaxiom

Do you lean towards hard or soft worldbuilding? (Hard meaning concrete rules for the reader to follow, vs soft meaning open possibility, and anything goes.) Hmm, I’ve never really thought of it in these terms… Let’s put it this way: There’s rules, but I might be the only one who knows them right now. Really depends on the world. I have one world with a complicated system of magic, and a different world where there’s not really any true magic, just people with native abilities. In the magical world, there are a TON of rules relating to spells and how magic is controlled and where it comes from and what languages different spells are in and the rules of dueling and the Forbidden Spells and… you get the idea. LOTS of rules. They all exist rigidly, but I don’t necessarily spell them all out.

What is your favorite worldbuilding concept you’ve seen before, whether it be in your own writing or someone else’s? Ooh, I know I’ve seen some good ones, but they elude me… Hmm. Brandon Sanderson’s The Rithmatist, where people fight wars with chalk, had some pretty amazing worldbuilding. It infuriates me there’s not a sequel.

If everyone on the earth suddenly stopped yawning, how long do you think it would take for anyone to figure that out? I don’t know if we’d ever figure it out. Yawning seems like something we’d easily forget about if we weren’t doing it all the time. Of course, we might be reminded by seeing characters yawn on old TV shows, but we wouldn’t necessarily think, “Wait, when was the last time I did that?” And as yawning became less common, I’d imagine it would fade from the collective consciousness and we’d stop using it in the media as a symbol (symptom?) of boredom and exhaustion, and we’d eventually forget about it all together.

TheArcaneAxiom
                          @thearcaneaxiom
                            • Total Posts: 1250

@a-r-kuhn

Hmm, I’ve never really thought of it in these terms… Let’s put it this way: There’s rules, but I might be the only one who knows them right now. Really depends on the world. I have one world with a complicated system of magic, and a different world where there’s not really any true magic, just people with native abilities. In the magical world, there are a TON of rules relating to spells and how magic is controlled and where it comes from and what languages different spells are in and the rules of dueling and the Forbidden Spells and… you get the idea. LOTS of rules. They all exist rigidly, but I don’t necessarily spell them all out.

Cool! I’m right there with ya! I’m very much a hard worldbuilder, though I appreciate soft worldbuilding. You don’t need to show the whole magic system to your readers, but as Brandon Sanderson has said, how much you can use magic to solve problems in a story is directly proportional to how much the readers understand said magic (he coined the terms hard and soft btw).

Ooh, I know I’ve seen some good ones, but they elude me… Hmm. Brandon Sanderson’s The Rithmatist, where people fight wars with chalk, had some pretty amazing worldbuilding. It infuriates me there’s not a sequel.

I loved The Rithmatist! Sanderson is my favorite author, I’m only three books away from finishing the whole Cosmere:) I believe he’s planning to write the sequel soon though, now that Alcatraz and Skyward are both complete.

I don’t know if we’d ever figure it out. Yawning seems like something we’d easily forget about if we weren’t doing it all the time. Of course, we might be reminded by seeing characters yawn on old TV shows, but we wouldn’t necessarily think, “Wait, when was the last time I did that?” And as yawning became less common, I’d imagine it would fade from the collective consciousness and we’d stop using it in the media as a symbol (symptom?) of boredom and exhaustion, and we’d eventually forget about it all together.

That’s a really good theory. I think that some people might start to ask questions though, especially with those people that project their yawns like a wookie *coughs, definitely not one of them, and the suddenly stop. It would take a few years, but I think someone may point it out. It’s just that they likely wouldn’t notice it on the global scale, because they would only think to look into it if the thought came to mind, which it likely wouldn’t, thus potentially leading to the scenario you gave, where it fades from public consciousness.

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

AveryTheExplodey
                            @a-r-kuhn

@thearcaneaxiom

I need to get more into Brandon Sanderson… I’ve read The Rithmatist and the Reckoners series, but nothing else. My brother and dad are really into Mistborn and Stormlight, though. My problem with reading epic fantasy is when I start, I can’t stop, and my sleep schedule becomes thoroughly messed up. Last time I read an epic fantasy book, I read six hundred pages in a span of less than 24 hours and got about 4 hours of sleep…

Cloaked Mystery
                              @jonas
                                • Total Posts: 2624

@thearcaneaxiom

(he coined the terms hard and soft btw).

Really? Huh. I didn’t know that. I feel like I’ve been aware of those terms for a super long time, but I didn’t read any of his books until last summer.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                                ✨ Magic System Creator
                                🎭 Character RPer
                                📚 Appreciator of Books

Cloaked Mystery
                                @jonas
                                  • Total Posts: 2624

@a-r-kuhn

My problem with reading epic fantasy is when I start, I can’t stop, and my sleep schedule becomes thoroughly messed up. Last time I read an epic fantasy book, I read six hundred pages in a span of less than 24 hours and got about 4 hours of sleep…

Lol. I can’t stop either. I got all four books of the Stormlight Archive for my birthday last summer, and I finished them in like three weeks or something. Before that, I also listened to the Mistborn audiobooks in about 2 – 3 weeks. And then I also read the entirety of Mistborn Era 2 (minus the last one) during a one-week vacation. And just a week ago, I got Elantris, Stormlight 3.5, and Arcanum Unbounded for Christmas. I have read all of them by now. Needless to say, I am a complete Sanderson nerd and a ridiculously fast reader, lol.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                                  ✨ Magic System Creator
                                  🎭 Character RPer
                                  📚 Appreciator of Books

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >