Hello Fellow Writers!

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Hello Fellow Writers!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Lydia S.
    @lydia-s
      • Total Posts: 399

Hi everyone!

I’m Lydia, and (though I likely do not need to say this) I love to write!

Right now, I’m mainly writing fantasy, romance, and contemporary fiction. However, once I have finished my contemporary fiction, I hope to branch out to writing historical fiction, based off of characters from the Bible, something I am very excited for.

When I’m not writing, I’m usually either doing schoolwork (high school keeps me busy😉) or hanging out with family and friends. I’m homeschooled, and I absolutely love it! I also love to read, but I must admit, I love writing more. I’m a big fan of S.D. Smith, J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Jennifer Erin Valent, Louisa May Alcott, E.D.E.N. Southworth, L.M. Montgomery, and… Well, I could go on, but I’m sure you get the picture. I enjoy sewing, 4H (for which I do sewing), chatting with friends (in real live or via technology), and spending time with horses!

Kathleen
      @kathleenramm
        • Total Posts: 635

@lydia-s

Hi! Welcome to the Kingdom Pen forum!

Your idea of making a Historical fiction novel based off of Bible characters sounds really interesting, what Bible story and characters are you thinking of basing a story off of?

I’m homeschooled as well! I’m pretty sure most of us here are a part of the homeschooling gang, which is cool. XD Have you always been homeschool, or have you gone to public school before?

I love C.S. Lewis and J.R.R Tolkien! And I’m definitely going to have to check out some of the other authors you mentioned, do you have a personal favorite I should check out first?

A couple questions before I go,

What’s the premise of your current novel?

What’s you top three favorite (not necessarily the best) books?

And, if you could have any creature, (mythological or not) as a pet what would you choose?

Anyway, awesome to have you here!

Linyang Zhang
        @devastate-lasting
          • Total Posts: 1700

@lydia-s Hi there! I’m Linyang, though most here just call me Lin. Welcome to the Kingdom!

Oo, those genres are great! I’m into writing fantasy, crime, and contemporary. I believe we have a couple historical fiction and biblical fiction authors here, so I think you’ll fit right in!

Ah, some questions for ya.

1. Favorite movies?

2. Favorite desserts?

3. Pineapple on pizza? Yea or nay?

Hope to see you around the Kingdom soon!

Lately, it's been on my brain
          Would you mind letting me know
          If hours don't turn into days

Anonymous
            • Total Posts: 1379

@lydia-s

Hi, Lydia! I’m JC. I’m so glad to see you joining the Kingdom!

Sounds like you are very talented in diverse genres. And oh my goodness, girl, I’m so excited that you said you see Biblical fiction in your future! I write in the Biblical fiction genre myself. My novel is about St. Paul from the perspectives of his younger sister and his adopted nephew. I love writing their relationships. Paul’s sister is quite adoring, a little protective (as most little sisters are, I’m one myself XD), and his nephew is innocent and uncritical in his love for both Paul and the sister.

C.S. Lewis and L.M. Montgomery are some of my favorite authors, too!! Mere Christianity got me into Lewis, and then I read the Chronicles of Narnia and fell in love with his writing and his life. I also enjoy Louisa May Alcott’s Little Women. However, my #1 favorite books of all time are Les Misérables (which you can see in my signature lol) by Victor Hugo, and To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Also, have you heard of Marjorie Holmes? She’s the one who made me decide I want to be a Biblical fiction writer. Her books Two from Galilee, Three from Galilee, and The Messiah are about the life of Jesus Christ, and she makes Jesus and his family/friends just jump off the page with life. I highly recommend!

It’s so great to meet you! Can’t wait to get to know you better!

Lydia S.
            @lydia-s

@kathleenramm

Thank you! I’m excited to become a part of the community!

Thanks! I’m a bit antsy to start them. 😉 I actually have four I would like to write (I suppose I am an overachiever when it comes to writing. Or maybe I’m just crazy :P), namely Simon Peter (I’m VERY excited for this one), Rahab, Ruth, and one about Jesus’ childhood, likely starting with the Annunciation. Sadly, as these have historical background, I will have to do a ton of research before and during the writing process. *sigh* I’m sure it’ll be enjoyable… I’d just rather be writing!

I have been homeschooled from day one of preschool! Homeschooling is the best. 😉 How about you?

If I had to choose a favorite, it would probably be… Oh boy… Maybe Jennifer Erin Valent?? She writes Christian YA fiction, and it really is amazing! I highly recommend her. But, then again, I highly recommend all of the authors on that list. 😛

Hmm… The basis of my main WIP might be “Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.” (Proverbs 16:18) Throughout the book, my MC struggles with his pride, and it eventually throws him flat on his face. In one word, the entire novel is about falling. Just about everything falls by the end. However, that’s not the end of the story. 😉 How about you?

Oh dear… My top three fictional books? Catching Moondrops (Jennifer Erin Valent) is probably one. Rose in Bloom (Louisa May Alcott) is also really good. And I suppose The Lord of the Rings is a necessary addition to that list. Which books are on your list?

A horse! I’m officially horse-crazy. 😛 Though a dragon would also be a lovely option. How about you?

Lydia S.
              @lydia-s

@devastate-lasting

Thank you, Linyang! Ooo, those sound very cool! I’ve never tried writing crime before; what is that like?

1. Hands down, my favorite movie is the recording of Jesus, a musical by Sight and Sound Theatre! I have no words for how amazing it is. XD My other favorite movies would be Sampson and Esther (both by Sight and Sound Theatre). I do like the Narnia movies and Little Crew Studios’ movies as well though. What are your favorites?

2. Ice cream! I love ice cream… 😛 How about you?

3. Yea. Pineapple pizza is one of my favorites actually. 🙂 Which way do you cast your vote?

Lydia S.
                @lydia-s

@joy-caroline

Thanks, JC! And yay! Another writer who does Biblical stories! Your novel sounds fascinating; do you start it before St. Paul’s conversion?

I have no yet read Mere Christianity; I will have to check it out! Have you read Lewis’ Til We Have Faces? It’s very good! I have not read Les Misérables or To Kill a Mockingbird either, though To Kill a Mockingbird is on the list for my senior year literature. I’m excited to read it!

No, I have not heard of her! I’ll have to look her up; her books sound very interesting! Are the books a trilogy?

Thanks! I’m super excited to be a part of the forum. 😀

Linyang Zhang
                  @devastate-lasting
                    • Total Posts: 1700

@lydia-s Crime is very interesting because it allows me to explore the motivations of a sinner while also delivering poetic justice to them at the end. I enjoy conflict like this, so I very much enjoy writing it.

Ey, I went to go watch both Jesus and Sampson in theatres! I do love Sight and Sound. I hope that I can watch Esther sometime too!

Ice cream is one of my favorites! I love coffee flavored ice cream especially. You?

Yes, Hawaiian pizza is one of my favorite pizzas as well. So glad to meet another Team Pineapple!

Lately, it's been on my brain
                    Would you mind letting me know
                    If hours don't turn into days

ella
                    @nova21
                      • Total Posts: 604

@lydia-s

Hey Lydia!  Welcome to KP, it’s so awesome to have you here!!  Ooo, I always wanted to do 4H when I was little, I wish I would’ve done it!  And I ABSOLUTELY LOVE horses!!!!!! ❤  When I was ten, I was a horse nerd.  Like, it wasn’t even funny.  I could tell you what a horses favorite mineral was, or what the Clydesdale preferred to eat for breakfast.  LOL!! I’m cringing so hard rn, haha!  Anyways, awesome to meet you!!  (btw, I write dystopian/thriller and i love smoothies XD)

what we do in life echoes in eternity
                      -gladiator, 2000

Anonymous
                        • Total Posts: 1379

@lydia-s

*high-fives* So excited to have Biblical fiction conversations with you in the near future!

Thank you! The novel begins after St. Paul’s conversion. The first chapters show him returning to Tarsus after the conversion and attempting to connect with his sister Temira, who is a widow with a little son (not the adopted one). At first she turns him away out of fear that he will hurt her again (he did something very cruel to her before). But after he makes a great sacrifice for her and his nephew, she realizes he actually loves them and is sincere. She becomes a Christian, and her perspective in the novel is largely about her fight to reconcile with Paul’s suffering path. There are flashbacks and a crucial storyline about Paul’s past of persecuting the church.

Sorry that was such a long answer to your question! XD I can get caught up in talking about my stories.

I haven’t read Til We Have Faces yet, but I’ll totally have to! Yes, Marjorie Holmes’ books are a trilogy. It’s a truly remarkable series.

Well, we’re super excited to have you! XD 👍

Abigail.M.
                        @abigail-m
                          • Total Posts: 1242

@lydia-s

😀 Hello Lydia!! Welcome to Kingdom Pen!!:) I’m Abigail and your writing sounds amazing!! 😀
                          YES! Another C.S. Lewis fan! 😀 Which was your favorite book from the Narnia series? And you love spending time with horses too? That’s so awesome!! What is your favorite breed of horse, favorite coat pattern? 🙂
                          Anyway, it is AMAZING to have you here at KP! Again, welcome!! 😀

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Abigail.M..
                          Lydia S.
                          @lydia-s

@devastate-lasting

That does sound interesting! I enjoy writing for my villain, though it can be frightening to have to come up with ways for them to rationalize their actions.

*gasp* Oh. My. Goodness. That’s amazing!!! I really want to see one in-theater. Hopefully that’ll happen someday!

Ooo… Coffee ice cream is super good. I have to say chocolate ice creams are some of my favorite, but I do love a good vanilla. Yeah, pretty boring, but it’s hard to find a really good one. Flavors that have mix-ins are yummy too.

*virtual high-five* Go Team Pineapple! 😉

Lydia S.
                            @lydia-s

@nova21

Thank you, Ella!

4H is a lot of fun! I started right before I entered my freshman year though, so I don’t have that much time left to be a part of it. *sigh* 🙂

Yay, another horse fan! 😀 Oh wow, that’s amazing! I’m pretty clueless when it comes to that area of horsey-ness, so I find that very impressive! 😉

Cool! Those are fun genres. 😀

Lydia S.
                              @lydia-s

@joy-caroline

Right back at you! 😉

Ooo, that sounds amazing! I hope to someday read it. And don’t worry about it! I enjoyed reading the description. And I can understand; it’s so much fun to talk about our stories! 😀

Awesome! I’ll have put them on my to-read list (which is growing far faster than my have-read list 😛 lol).

Lydia S.
                                @lydia-s

@abigail-m

Thank you, Abigail!

I have to say The Last Battle is my favorite (I don’t know if you’ve heard the audio drama by Focus on the Family Radio Theatre, but they did a fantastic job with this book), but The Silver Chair takes a close second (Puddleglum… lol). How about you? Which one is your favorite?

Thoroughbreds and Clydesdales! At the barn I go to, they have a Thoroughbred who is my equine bestie, and they used to have a Clydesdale/Paint mix I was also close with. As for my favorite coat pattern, I don’t know! I like them all, but both of my four-legged friends are/were bays. I love palominos too. How about you? Are you a horse fan as well?

Thank you so much! 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >