Hello!

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Trailblazer
    @trailblazer
      • Total Posts: 595

@theshadow

Welcome to KP! I’m Janessa, aka Trailblazer- because I love mountains and hiking. I also do photography as a hobby, and I enjoy reading, too. I write mainly historical and contemporary fiction, but I’ve done some mystery and a bit of journalism too.

Hmmm… all the questions I usually ask have already been asked, lol! Let’s try some super random ones:

What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?

A favorite memory from your childhood?

Who is one person in your life you admire or look up to, and why?

"Real love is for your good, not for your comfort." -Justin Whitmel Earley

TheShadow
      @theshadow
        • Total Posts: 29

Hi Trailblazer!

Ooh, you like photography? That’s awesome! Also, I love how you tied two things that you do into a username 🙂

There’s so many ice cream flavors to choose from, but I guess I would have to say chocolate fudge or cookies and cream are two contenders for first place for me.

I don’t have a specific childhood memory that is my favorite, but a collection of ones. My three older brothers, my next door neighbors, and a few other of my neighbors and I used to play together all the time outside and that was a lot of fun. I like to look back on those sometimes to reflect on how things have changed since then (both for the better and worse).

Hm, I suppose one person in my life I look up to is my oldest brother. He’s a marine, and I look up to him both for his dedication to my country, and how he’s into a lot of niche things that he shares with my other siblings and I (like Prince Valiant, a comic book series my whole family likes). One specific memory I have with him is when I told him I was giving up on chemistry this year, so he called me and gave me a really motivational speech about always trying to do your best no matter what, even if you may fail. At the time, I didn’t appreciate it, but now I use that advice for a lot of things.

Nice to meet you!

Trailblazer
        @trailblazer

@theshadow

Ooh, you like photography? That’s awesome!

Yeah it sort of runs in the family, lol. My dad and my grandpa are both into photography, too, and my one cousin has done some professional photography.

There’s so many ice cream flavors to choose from, but I guess I would have to say chocolate fudge or cookies and cream are two contenders for first place for me.

Cookies and cream is a good flavor! I’m not huge on the chocolate-based ice cream, so my favorite would probably be black raspberry.

My three older brothers, my next door neighbors, and a few other of my neighbors and I used to play together all the time outside and that was a lot of fun.

Aw that sounds fun! When I was in middle school, my brothers and I got to know some of our neighbors and we would hang out all the time. We called ourselves the Neighborhood Squad, and eventually the one family moved away, another girl stopped hanging out with us, and things sorta fell apart, but my brothers still hang out occasionally with two of the boys closer to their age.

Hm, I suppose one person in my life I look up to is my oldest brother.

That’s awesome! I’m the oldest sibling in my family, so I’ve never had that type of influencer in my life, but it sounds like your brother has a lot of wisdom and really cares about you, too!

TheArcaneAxiom
          @thearcaneaxiom
            • Total Posts: 1250

@theshadow

(I’m not really sure how to reply to specific sections yet)

We’ve all been there, lol, just tag us by typing the name with the @ symbol, then quoting is just the quotation marks at the top, and it should show an indented box for the quote.

And in terms of fantasy, I like Lord of the Rings or Legend of Zelda type fantasies with a lot of lore. With world building, I like hard better than soft because  hard world building makes a world feel more real to me (soft is good too though!)

Same, hard all the way! I appreciate soft worldbuilding when done right, but I’m much more of a hard worldbuilder. LotRs and LoZ are both awesome! Have you ever heard of Brandon Sanderson? He’s a top notch hard worldbuilder fantasy writer that I recommend to everyone.

My WIP is kind of like historical fiction, but it doesn’t really have anything to do with history. It takes place in a fictional country called Terre that’s in Europe, and the story takes place during the Crusades, but it’s not about the Crusades. Its a little hard to put into a category ha ha.

So alternate history without fantastical elements? Cool!

Oh and btw, a McDonalds burger is the perfect analogy for the internet lol!

The two might as well go hand and hand😂

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

TheShadow
            @theshadow

@trailblazer

Yeah it sort of runs in the family, lol. My dad and my grandpa are both into photography, too, and my one cousin has done some professional photography.

Ohh nice! That’s really cool!!

Cookies and cream is a good flavor! I’m not huge on the chocolate-based ice cream, so my favorite would probably be black raspberry.

I have yet to try that, but it sounds good.

Aw that sounds fun! When I was in middle school, my brothers and I got to know some of our neighbors and we would hang out all the time. We called ourselves the Neighborhood Squad, and eventually the one family moved away, another girl stopped hanging out with us, and things sorta fell apart, but my brothers still hang out occasionally with two of the boys closer to their age.

Sorry that happened, same thing happened with our neighbors (also great name).

That’s awesome! I’m the oldest sibling in my family, so I’ve never had that type of influencer in my life, but it sounds like your brother has a lot of wisdom and really cares about you, too!

Thanks! Just curious, (you don’t have to answer if it’s too personal), but how many younger siblings do you have?

TheShadow
              @theshadow

@thearcaneaxiom

We’ve all been there, lol, just tag us by typing the name with the @ symbol, then quoting is just the quotation marks at the top, and it should show an indented box for the quote.

Thank you so much for the help!!

Same, hard all the way! I appreciate soft worldbuilding when done right, but I’m much more of a hard worldbuilder. LotRs and LoZ are both awesome! Have you ever heard of Brandon Sanderson? He’s a top notch hard worldbuilder fantasy writer that I recommend to everyone.

Just looked him up, and his books sound interesting. I’ll have to check them out.

So alternate history without fantastical elements? Cool!

Thanks! I’m still working out the world, but it’s mostly a realistic setting.

The two might as well go hand and hand😂

Ha ha yes!

Trailblazer
                @trailblazer

@theshadow

I have two younger brothers! We get along pretty well, and I credit that to years of homeschooling, lol.

TheShadow
                  @theshadow

@trailblazer

Homeschooling really is the best lol!

Esther
                    @esther-c
                      • Total Posts: 3205

@theshadow

Welcome to Kingdom Pen!! I’m Esther: a volleyball-playing, violin-squeaking, dog-obsessed, homeschooled, fiction-writing, God-loving, teen girl!

My main WIPs are dystopian(ish) and contemporary. But I’ve dabbled in fantasy and other genres before. 😉

Now time for questionssss

1. What is your favorite character you’ve ever created? Why? What are they like?

2. If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?

3. Hot coffee, iced coffee, neither, or something totally different?

4. Gummy bears or gummy worms?

Nice to meet you and hope to see ya around! 👋

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

TheShadow
                      @theshadow

@esther-c

Hi Esther! That’s great that you play violin! How long have you been playing for? And do you have a favorite classical composer?

Ah, dystopian writing is interesting. Is that your favorite genre to read, and if so which dystopian books are your favorite?

Ok, so my favorite character I have created is probably Eldred, a Knight who has been through… a lot. He’s really scarred by all the stuff he’s suffered, and has a lot of guilt because of those circumstances, so he’s mainly emotionless (or tries to be) in situations and doesn’t like forming relationships with others since he’s scared of hurting those around him. He really does care for his younger brother Percival (even though a majority of the time it seems like he doesn’t), and has a deep love both for God and the village he protects. He also loves to read, and even though he denies it, he’s kind of like a hopeless romantic. Anyway, I love him to pieces because at his heart he’s a good guy (polite, brave, and noble) but believes he can never be forgiven for a terrible thing he did in the past, and over the course of my WIP he realizes it was all his pride and kind of hatred of himself that made him think that way and grows to forgive himself and others. He sometimes gets impatient with though and can be on the negative side. Sorry for the ramble.

Hmm, I suppose Ireland because I love Irish fairytales and folklore and most of their fairies, like the Pooka and

I’m not much of a coffee person, so I’m gonna say hot chocolate. Or milk, i love milk.

And finally, I prefer gummy worms, but both are good.

Nice to meet you too!

The Ducktator
                        @theducktator
                          • Total Posts: 212

@theshadow

Sorry it took me so long to reply, school has been insane this week. And then Wyoh ate my first reply. She’s the technical ghost. (Wyoh, may you always forget toothpaste when you go on vacation.)

Ducks are fun creatures, any particular reason they’re your favorite?

I don’t really know why. I just love them.

Favorite bird is a raven, since I like how scary smart they are.

Oh, good choice. I’m writing a research paper on the intelligence of birds right now, and ravens have shown up a lot.

Comfort books are Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin, Percy Jackson (only the first series), and The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux (or any fairy tales or Sherlock Holmes mysteries).

I love Percy Jackson! It does go downhill after the first series though. It’s been a while since I’ve read Sherlock Holmes. The Speckled Band story scared me so bad when I was 10 or 11, XD. I haven’t heard of the other books before, I’ll have to check them out!

I prefer real Christmas trees because they feel more authentic to Christmas and my family has always had one. I also love the smell, and going to buy a Christmas tree with my dad and younger siblings is a very important tradition with us.

Yeeeeessssssssss! Real Christmas trees are amazing!!! I love going to pick one out! It’s so exciting!

Hm, best hiding place I’ve had is in my younger siblings closet or in my closet (lots of closet hiding at my house).

Cool! We don’t do much closet hiding at my house, since some of us, (ok, mostly me), don’t like the younger kids in our stuff. Though apparently at least 6 kids can fit in our coat closet, as we found out while playing sardines.

I haven’t had a crush specifically, although I have thought certain characters were really cute. For example, Wirt from Over the Garden Wall for his unique personality, and Link from the Switch remake of Link’s Awakening for his adorable expressions.

Hmm, I don’t know those characters.

And lastly, depends on the essay. If it’s an English essay, then I think those can help with developing stronger language and grammar. If it’s a different subject though, then it probably won’t help with writing as much.

Good point. English essays also tend to be more fun for me XD.

Coconuts are mammals because they have fur and produce milk.

Esther
                          @esther-c
                            • Total Posts: 3205

@theshadow

Hi Esther! That’s great that you play violin! How long have you been playing for? And do you have a favorite classical composer?

Umm…. Almost two years? I think? It should be two years come September. It’s hard to remember because there were a few months where I didn’t play at all. XD

Ah, dystopian writing is interesting. Is that your favorite genre to read, and if so which dystopian books are your favorite?

Weirdly, dystopian is not my favorite genre to read. I like to call my WIP light dystopian since it’s not as end-of-the-world-ish and apocalyptic. But it is somewhat centralized around a messed-up government, or rather, a messed-up guy who runs the government and is on a mad hunt for a perfect world where everyone lives in peace. (Yeah buddy, sorry, that ain’t gonna happen… 😂)

I’m reading War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells right now though, which I think falls into the genres of sci-fi and dystopian. It’s interesting. Definitely not my favorite, but interesting.

I think I prefer contemporary over any other genre. (Which is why I’m finally starting to write one. XD)

(ok I’m done rambling about that now…. XD)

Ok, so my favorite character I have created is probably Eldred, a Knight who has been through… a lot. He’s really scarred by all the stuff he’s suffered, and has a lot of guilt because of those circumstances, so he’s mainly emotionless (or tries to be) in situations and doesn’t like forming relationships with others since he’s scared of hurting those around him. He really does care for his younger brother Percival (even though a majority of the time it seems like he doesn’t), and has a deep love both for God and the village he protects. He also loves to read, and even though he denies it, he’s kind of like a hopeless romantic. Anyway, I love him to pieces because at his heart he’s a good guy (polite, brave, and noble) but believes he can never be forgiven for a terrible thing he did in the past, and over the course of my WIP he realizes it was all his pride and kind of hatred of himself that made him think that way and grows to forgive himself and others. He sometimes gets impatient with though and can be on the negative side. Sorry for the ramble.

He sounds so awesome!! I think I’d love to read a book with a character like him in it! He sounds really complex and layered, yet a really nice guy once you get to know him.

(And ramble all you’d like! That’s what we all like to do around here, lol.)

Hmm, I suppose Ireland because I love Irish fairytales and folklore and most of their fairies, like the Pooka and

Ooh yes!! Ireland!! That’s a place I’d love to visit too!

I’ve never heard any of their fairytales and folklore though. Is there a certain story that’s your favorite?

I’m not much of a coffee person, so I’m gonna say hot chocolate. Or milk, i love milk.

Mmm hot chocolate’s really good 😋 Especially with caramel in it… 🤤

But milk… I DO NOT like milk. I don’t know why, I just think it tastes like rotten cardboard, lol. XD But I’m definitely not offended that you like it. 😉

And finally, I prefer gummy worms, but both are good.

Both are good. My favorite is gummy bears though. 😁

(Wyoh…. Don’t you dare eat this post… 👀)

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

TheShadow
                            @theshadow

Sorry it took me so long to reply, school has been insane this week. And then Wyoh ate my first reply. She’s the technical ghost. (Wyoh, may you always forget toothpaste when you go on vacation.)

That’s okay, and Wyoh should really stop messing around with you.

I love Percy Jackson! It does go downhill after the first series though. It’s been a while since I’ve read Sherlock Holmes. The Speckled Band story scared me so bad when I was 10 or 11, XD.

Wholeheartedly agree with you with Percy Jackson, the sequel series really shouldn’t exist imo. Lol, and The Speckled Band is creepy too, so that’s understandable!

Yeeeeessssssssss! Real Christmas trees are amazing!!! I love going to pick one out! It’s so exciting!

Yes, 100% agree!

Cool! We don’t do much closet hiding at my house, since some of us, (ok, mostly me), don’t like the younger kids in our stuff. Though apparently at least 6 kids can fit in our coat closet, as we found out while playing sardines.

Interesting ha ha.

Good point. English essays also tend to be more fun for me XD.

Thanks, and that’s fair lol.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            >