Hello

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Beth Torres
    @beth-torres
      • Total Posts: 334

My name is Elizabeth. I’m a homeschooler who loves writing and reading Christian fantasy, though one of my favorite books is actually a steammpunk series called Skyworld by Morgan Busse. I also really like hot chocolate- not because it has to do with anything, it just seems to add something to the really short paragragh, I guess. XD

Please confer to me a moment as I proceed to scrutinize this thought to the maximum degree.

RAE
      @rae
        • Total Posts: 3013

@beth-torres

Greetings from Wond!

I’m a horse-crazy sci-fi, fantasy-writing homeschooler.

Questions (beware, tis the initiation on KP to be bombarded with such things)

Have you ever read Lord of the Rings? The Hobbit?

What’s your current WIP?

What’s your fantasy world called?

Who’s your favorite character to write with?

Favorite color?

Favorite animal?

And the odd question I like to ask…

Have you ever had the same foot stepped on six times by six  different horses?

Trailblazer
        @trailblazer
          • Total Posts: 599

@beth-torres

Welcome to KP! I’m Janessa, known around here as Trailblazer, because I enjoy hiking and mountains. I write a lot of contemporary fiction, as well as historical fic, some mystery, and some journalism. I also like photography.

A few quick questions for you:

What’s your favorite place you’ve ever been to?

Do you have any other hobbies besides reading and writing?

"Real love is for your good, not for your comfort." -Justin Whitmel Earley

Allison
          @acancello
            • Total Posts: 838

@beth-torres

Hi! I’m Acancello, also known as Allison! I’m homeschooled and  I love guinea pigs, dogs, traveling, acting, trying weird food, writing, reading, talking and a lot more 😁! I write Dystopian and post-apocalyptic books. I’m so glad you could come to Kingdom Pen! OK, now I’ll ask you some hopefully not already asked questions 😉

What’s your favorite book series?

Do you like to do any sports? If not, do you have any other activities you like to do?

How often do you like to write?

What is your favorite character you have written?

Do you have a blog?

Hope you love KP!!

-GRCR-
            @grcr
              • Total Posts: 947

Greetings from the land of Burne!

I’m GRCR! I’m a fiction writer and an avid artist, journalist for my fictional newspaper, and a character lover that has thousands of characters, (and I love them so much that I wish they were real people, lol). I enjoy listening to music and imagining my characters singing the songs. And, I enjoy 2D and 3D animating.

Anyhow, welcome to KP! 😁

Here are some “ask the newbie” questions:

If you have any characters, how many do you have?

Which perspective do you enjoy most: first person (I walked), second person (You walked), or third person (He/she walked)?

And, if you were going to write an entirely original and new book, what would you create first: the world or the characters?

Hope you enjoy KP, and I’ll see you around! 🙃

“What be a cretin?”
              “Of course you wouldn’t know. It’s a… bread you put in salad.”

Beth Torres
              @beth-torres

@rae

Hello Rae! I have to say- that last question was extremely important and I appreciate you asking! 😆 Yet I have to admit I have never had that happen. Though I probably have had my two little siblings step on one of my feet a billion times.

I’m also homeschooled and I will admit, I haven’t read the Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit.

My favorite color? Um… I love purple and dusty rose. And my favorite animal’s probably an axolotl. I mean, it smiles… I think it’s really cute.

My current project is writing a fantasy/adventure novel. It’s taking me a bit to get the story going, I have a big problem with jumping from one story to another so it’s difficult for me to focus on just one, but I’m going to try!

I’m quite horrible at coming up with names for places, societies, etc. So I can describe it, but nothing is labled right now.

Basically what it is a land where society has built their cities and towns upon or within mountain ranges that cover a large area of land and valley in between filled with “not dangerous” (totally dangerous) creatures.

I have a bad habit of focusing on one character the whole time, so I try not to do that, but the one that’s been on my mind are actually two sisters who are adventurers wandering the mountains and when the join the group of fellow characters they become like a comedic relief and help in other areas of the story.

Please confer to me a moment as I proceed to scrutinize this thought to the maximum degree.

hybridlore
                @hybridlore
                  • Total Posts: 1357

@beth-torres

Hi Elizabeth, welcome to Kingdom Pen!!

I’m hybridlore on here, a homeschooled high schooler, sci-fi/dystopian writer, violinist, and follower of Jesus. It’s nice to meet you!

I didn’t read everyone’s questions, so if I give you the same one, don’t worry about answering it.

What are your favorite books/series?

What’s the plot of your WIP?

Also, I read that you have trouble coming up with names for places. Generators are SO helpful for that. Whenever I need a name for a place, I usually just Google “sci-fi city name generator” or something like that.

Also, if you already know what that city’s going to be like, you can type in keywords and translate them into other languages, then combine them to get a word that hints at the type of place it is. For example, in one of my projects, it was set in an underground colony, and I used:

Nether (which means lower) + Aarde (which is earth in Afrikaans) = Netharde.

I combined words from different languages to get the name I wanted, and it kind of has a meaning, too. Hopefully that makes sense!

Anyway, again, welcome! I’ll see you around!

There is always light behind the clouds.
                  - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

Beth Torres
                  @beth-torres

@trailblazer

Hello! I think one of the coolest places I’ve been to is probably Yosemite California. What about you? I also like hiking and  going new cool places, the only problem is that there aren’t many places to go where I live.

I’ve actually been looking into historical fiction books. Is there any you’d recommend?

More hobbies that I have would be drawing and calligraphy. I also love baking desserts. Pretty much anything with chocolate is my go to when baking.

Cloaked Mystery
                    @jonas
                      • Total Posts: 2624

@beth-torres

Hi, I’m Cloaked Mystery, known in the real world as Jonas, which is admittedly less intriguing, but probably more practical. I’m a fantasy writer, music composer, and amateur video game designer.

I’m not good with questions, so I’ll leave that to other people!

See you around!

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                      ✨ Magic System Creator
                      🎭 Character RPer
                      📚 Appreciator of Books

TheArcaneAxiom
                      @thearcaneaxiom
                        • Total Posts: 1251

@beth-torres

Hi Elizabeth! Welcome to KP!

I’m the Arcane Axiom, I love math, searching for divine fundamental truth, and exploring that in my writing. I read/write sci-fi/fantasy, and my current project is a universe I’m working on with my sister called the Septrum.

Questions!

Do you lean towards hard or soft worldbuilding? (hard meaning concrete rules for the readers to understand, vs soft meaning more open ended possibilities where anything goes.)

what is one of your favorite concepts you’ve seen in sci-fi/fantasy?

what is one of your favorite concepts you’ve made in sci-fi/fantasy?

What are some of the creatures you’ve created for your world? Are they based off of existing fantasy creatures, or are they something of your unique design?

And last but not least:

Is it correct to say “yes, it’s” when asked a weird question, since “it’s” is short for “it is”?

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Trailblazer
                        @trailblazer
                          • Total Posts: 599

@beth-torres

Yosemite is pretty cool! My family went on a road trip a few years ago around the Midwest/West and that was one of the places we stopped. I would say my favorite place though would probably be either the Grand Tetons or the North Cascades in Washington. I wish there were more mountains like that closer to where I live, but unfortunately the mountains around me are pretty much just oversized hills.

I’ve actually been looking into historical fiction books. Is there any you’d recommend?

Cathy Gohlke has some pretty good his/fics. I’ve read a couple of hers. She’s done a number focusing on WWII. Is there a certain time period you prefer, or do you like pretty much anything?

"Real love is for your good, not for your comfort." -Justin Whitmel Earley

Sara
                          @savannah_grace2009
                            • Total Posts: 1986

@jonas

Hi, I’m Cloaked Mystery, known in the real world as Jonas

Ever since I “met” you on KP, your name has always reminded me of Jonas from the Giver XD

Lukas&Livia
                            #Lalbert
                            Sef&Chase
                            #HOTTOLINE
                            LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Sara
                            @savannah_grace2009
                              • Total Posts: 1986

@beth-torres

Hi Elizabeth!

I’m Sara, a “jack of all trades but master of none”. I love music. My favorite song as of now is Sweet Ever After by Ellie Holcomb. What’s yours? I play piano, guitar (I know a couple chords but not many), used to play violin, play flute and piccolo (a piccolo is a super tiny flute that plays an octave higher. It’s VERY loud and obnoxious.), I sing in church, and just sing in general XD

I love hot cocoa too! (I mean, you’d have to be insane not to. For those of you who happen to hate it with a passion, please don’t be offended, lol)

I play volleyball, though I’m not that good. I’m not good at sports, but volleyball’s okay, I guess, and I actually enjoy it. Basketball on the other hand….let’s just say i may or may not hate it with a passion.

I live in Montana. Currently we have a winter storm warning and have about 3-4 inches of snow. IT’s NoT EvEn HALlOwEeN YET!!! But me and my little sister took advantage of the snow and set up a little tree and made paper chains, had hot cocoa, played christmas music, and are currently counting down the 63 something days till christmas!

What’s your favorite holiday?

See you around on KP!

Lukas&Livia
                              #Lalbert
                              Sef&Chase
                              #HOTTOLINE
                              LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Beth Torres
                              @beth-torres

Hello! Thanks for the big welcome! I want to answer all these questions, but please forgive me, I may have to respond in segments at different times. I won’t be able to answer everything in one shot due to time (and I get distracted a lot TBH).

So… I have to say one of my favorite books series would have to be the Milana Legends by Anna Travis and I really couldn’t say exactly how often I write. I have the intention to do it, and I would love to do it more often than I currently do.

I used to do archery, I haven’t done it in a while but I’m definitely still interested.

My current story I’m writing is about a girl (Kyria)  who in her past life was working as a soldier in a land taken captive by a dark kingdom. Later she escapes the kingdom and resides in a safe town on a mountain far from the castle. She begins a new life and finds encouraging community and after a few years she feels called to go and try to bring the other captives of the dark kingdom to safety. Kyria gathers a group of companions over the course of her journey, including Joshua (deuteragonist), a wanderer looking for a place to reside with contentment. The group has to journey a long way to the castle while trying to avoid enemies, deal with each other’s unique and annoying personalities. The biggest problem about rescuing the captives is that they’re the soldiers of the kingdom. Some may want to escape, while others could betray them. (I don’t have names yet for places so this may sound weird.) Or just weird in general.

@hybridlore

Thanks for the idea about the generator! I hadn’t even thought of that.

hybridlore
                                @hybridlore
                                  • Total Posts: 1357

@beth-torres

That’s totally okay! Haha, hopefully we didn’t toverwhelm you XD. Sometimes the questions get a little crazy.

Hmm, I’ve never heard of the Milana Legends! It sounds interesting, though! Is it adult or YA (I’m assuming fantasy)?

Archery is cool! I’ve never tried it but I’ve always loved the idea of it.

That sounds really cool! I’d be interested to read it if you ever post some on here!

Sure! They come in handy XD

There is always light behind the clouds.
                                  - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >