Hello!

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    TheArcaneAxiom
    @thearcaneaxiom
      • Total Posts: 1251

@aranel

Shall do. (Which stories do you know? Please tell me you know Beren and Lúthien, it has the best twist of fairy tale tropes ever, and I will die on that hill.)

I know bits and pieces. Tolkien does a lot of tales of the mortal man and fair elf maiden in the history of Middle Earth, so I get them mixed up, but I know that much.

To be honest, I think it’s an author thing.

Yeah, probably.

On average, they’re prone to be four feet or so, often with curly or wavy hair. Most of them wear their hair long. They have cat-eye pupils and ears very similar to faun’s ears. Their builds are more on the stocky side, though not as stocky as dwarves commonly are–more like an underlying solidness. They age very slowly (though they do age and eventually die) and can live for hundreds of years. They’re described as having something ‘more’ about them–if they’re attractive or ugly, it will be different, or ‘more’, than an ordinary person would be (if that makes sense; I’ve left that description slightly ambiguous on purpose).

Interesting! So they’re essentially perceptual caricatures. Essentially all their qualities from appearance and nature is exaggerated somehow, is that right? So does this allude to their spiritual side? And thus does the spiritual side basically embody human ideals and concepts? If so, that would remind me of Brandon Sanderson’s cognitive realm in the Cosmere. Again, high recommendation, and if that’s an idea your playing with, then the Cosmere might give helpful inspiration anyways.

Linya are especially known for their natural knowledge of maege (basically magic; it’s a force in nature and in the elements with its own telepathic language). Linya are usually born knowing it, though since it’s been centuries since dragua paired with humans, it’s becoming more and more common for linya to either sense or summon maege but not be able to interact with or use it, and vice versa.

(There’s also enalids; I’m not sure if I mentioned them. They’re the result of a linya and an ordinary human coupling. Obviously they have a mix of both traits, but they’re less likely to have maege, or they’ll have an incomplete sense of it. Their ears are just a little pointed, and their eyes are usually normal, though that’s not a rule. They also don’t live as long as linya, but longer than normal people.)

The Maege sounds cool! You mentioned the enalids, but only by name, and not much else.

I would say no, because No Cat seems to refer to the lack of a cat, and 1 Cat is just one out of many.

On the other hand, if No Cat is actually the name of a certain cat. . . . I’d still say no. Or at least not necessarily.

Interesting, but based off of the assumptions given, and if No Cat is indeed its own creature, then all Cats must then have 3 tails, unless the base assumptions were false.

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Cloaked Mystery
      @jonas
        • Total Posts: 2624

@thearcaneaxiom

Tolkien does a lot of tales of the mortal man and fair elf maiden in the history of Middle Earth, so I get them mixed up, but I know that much.

If I remember correctly, that only happened three times in the history of Middle Earth, actually, although I can only remember two.

Just had to comment, lol, sorry!

🏰 Fantasy Writer
        ✨ Magic System Creator
        🎭 Character RPer
        📚 Appreciator of Books

TheArcaneAxiom
        @thearcaneaxiom

@jonas

All good, thanks😂

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Aranel
          @aranel
            • Total Posts: 29

@jonas

Beren and Lúthien, Tuor and Idril, Aragorn and Arwen. . . . and personally, I count  Aegnor and Andreth as a fourth.

Aranel
            @aranel

@thearcaneaxiom

I know bits and pieces. Tolkien does a lot of tales of the mortal man and fair elf maiden in the history of Middle Earth, so I get them mixed up, but I know that much.

It’s sooo good, and one of the few times Silmarillion characters actually get a happy ending. And even then, it’s depressing.

Interesting! So they’re essentially perceptual caricatures.

Essentially, yes.

So does this allude to their spiritual side?

If I had purposely developed these for the story, probably. But they were a just-for-fun project that demanded to be taken seriously when finished.

And thus does the spiritual side basically embody human ideals and concepts? If so, that would remind me of Brandon Sanderson’s cognitive realm in the Cosmere. Again, high recommendation, and if that’s an idea your playing with, then the Cosmere might give helpful inspiration anyways.

Well, I purchased my first Brandon Sanderson book at a sale last week, so we’ll see!

The Maege sounds cool! You mentioned the enalids, but only by name, and not much else.

The Maege is very cool in concept, but much harder to write. I’m no linguist, so anything I invent gives off Ancient-Language-of-the-Inheritance-Cycle vibes.

Interesting, but based off of the assumptions given, and if No Cat is indeed its own creature, then all Cats must then have 3 tails, unless the base assumptions were false.

You make a good point, however the terms are just too vague. At least we need to clarify ‘No Cat’, or possibly risk equivocation.

TheArcaneAxiom
              @thearcaneaxiom

@aranel

It’s sooo good, and one of the few times Silmarillion characters actually get a happy ending. And even then, it’s depressing.

It’s really cool when a story can end that way, being able to have a lasting impact on us, in a bitter-sweet sort of way. I’ll have to look more into my Tolkien lore!

If I had purposely developed these for the story, probably. But they were a just-for-fun project that demanded to be taken seriously when finished.

Fair enough, still a fun idea though!

Well, I purchased my first Brandon Sanderson book at a sale last week, so we’ll see!

!!!! WHICH ONE!!!!????

The Maege is very cool in concept, but much harder to write. I’m no linguist, so anything I invent gives off Ancient-Language-of-the-Inheritance-Cycle vibes.

I love linguistics! I would be happy to offer any thoughts on what you can do if you want to develop it more!

You make a good point, however the terms are just too vague. At least we need to clarify ‘No Cat’, or possibly risk equivocation.

Equivocation would indeed be the heart of this problem, being ambiguous to what ‘No Cat’ means, whether it be some mythical creature, or indeed simply the absence of any cat.

Aranel
                @aranel

@thearcaneaxiom

It’s really cool when a story can end that way, being able to have a lasting impact on us, in a bitter-sweet sort of way. I’ll have to look more into my Tolkien lore!

Yesyesyesyes do!

Fair enough, still a fun idea though!

Yes, and one I might implement another time. I have other developing races in need of a story, so. . . .

!!!! WHICH ONE!!!!????

Elantris

I love linguistics! I would be happy to offer any thoughts on what you can do if you want to develop it more!

Yes, that would be wonderful. I have a feeling I could do it well if I really focused on linguistics, but it’s not enough of a passion for me.

TheArcaneAxiom
                  @thearcaneaxiom

@aranel

Elantris

Awesome! That’s actually one of the few I haven’t read yet. It’s the first he’s published actually. I’ve read the Novella that takes place after the book, but it doesn’t give much context, despite being on the same planet. You’ll have to tell me how it is, unless I beat you, but I still have 4 other books from him I’m trying to read first😂

Yes, that would be wonderful. I have a feeling I could do it well if I really focused on linguistics, but it’s not enough of a passion for me.

Great! Feel welcome to tell me as much about it as you want, and I can give ideas and pointers, does that sound good?

Aranel
                    @aranel

@thearcaneaxiom

Awesome! That’s actually one of the few I haven’t read yet. It’s the first he’s published actually. I’ve read the Novella that takes place after the book, but it doesn’t give much context, despite being on the same planet. You’ll have to tell me how it is, unless I beat you, but I still have 4 other books from him I’m trying to read first😂

Shall do! I’m looking forward to reading it.

Great! Feel welcome to tell me as much about it as you want, and I can give ideas and pointers, does that sound good?

That would be wonderful.

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    >