Hello!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Aranel
    @aranel
      • Total Posts: 29

My name is Sarah. I’m a Tolkien geek, book lover, and fantasy writer. High-quality Christian content is one of my passions, and something I hope to achieve in my writing. I’m always looking for communities who feel the same, and I’m looking forward to exploring this one!

Euodia
      @euodia-vision
        • Total Posts: 1306

Hello fellow Tolkien Geek, and welcome to Kingdom Pen!!

I am euodia.vision. or just Euodia. 😉 I am a Tolkien nerd, fantasy reader and writer, recent homeschool graduate, artist, music enthusiast, photographer, Marvel lover, and a follower of Christ!

so… *rubs hands together* you like Tolkien?

Are you a movie girl too or just the books?

What books have you read by Tolkien?

Please, just talk to me about Tolkien. 😂

Welcome to KP and can’t wait to see you around!

I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick and I was like, "That log had a child

Trailblazer
        @trailblazer
          • Total Posts: 600

@aranel

Welcome to KP! I’m Janessa, aka Trailblazer, and I’ve been hanging around here for about a month now! It’s so fun to see new people joining! I write a lot of contemporary and historical fiction, but I’ve done some mysteries as well, and I also enjoy journalism. I like hiking, photography, and mountains.

A couple questions for you…

What is one story you’re currently working on?

Have you tried writing any other genres aside from fantasy?

"Real love is for your good, not for your comfort." -Justin Whitmel Earley

hybridlore
          @hybridlore
            • Total Posts: 1359

@aranel

Welcome to Kingdom Pen! It’s nice to meet you!

I’m hybridlore on here, or just hybrid, a Christian homeschooler, high schooler, violinist and mostly a science-fiction/dystopian writer. I’m also a book lover and I definitely try to write high-quality stories with Christian themes, too! And I’m a little more than halfway through the Fellowship of the Ring… I’ve also read the Hobbit, but that’s about it. I’m looking forward to finishing the rest of the series, though!

Aandd a few questions for you!

What’s your favorite book/series?

What’s your WIP about?

What are your other hobbies besides writing?

There is always light behind the clouds.
            - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

TheArcaneAxiom
            @thearcaneaxiom
              • Total Posts: 1251

@aranel

Hi Sarah! I’m the Arcane Axiom, I love math, finding divine fundamental truth, and exploring that in my writing. I read/write sci-fi/fantasy, and my current project is a universe I’m working on with my sister called the Septrum.

Questions!

Do you lean towards hard or soft worldbuilding? (hard meaning concrete rules for the reader to understand, vs soft meaning more open possibilities where anything goes.)

What is a favorite concept or idea you’ve seen for worldbuilding, character, or writing in general that you’ve seen in writing?

Now what is a favorite concept or idea you’ve seen for worldbuilding, character, or writing in general that you’ve come up with yourself?

What are your current projects about?

And last but not least:

A word that is autological is a word that describes itself, and homological is a word that doesn’t describe itself. Out of all existing words, are there only autological and homological words?

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Allison
              @acancello
                • Total Posts: 838

@aranel

Hi Sarah! I’m Acancello, also known as Allison! I’m homeschooled and  I love guinea pigs, dogs, traveling, acting, trying weird food, writing, reading, talking and a lot more 😁! I write Dystopian and post-apocalyptic books. I’m so glad you could come to Kingdom Pen! OK, now I’ll ask you some hopefully not already asked questions 😉

What’s your favorite book series?

Do you like to do any sports? If not, do you have any other activities you like to do?

How often do you like to write?

What is your favorite character you have written?

Hope you love KP!!

Aranel
                @aranel

Mae govannen, Euodia! Elen síla lúmenn’ omentielvo. Yes, I looove Tolkien. I enjoy watching the movies (as long as I’m allowed to rant about everything wrong with them, lol), but the books are my favorite (especially books on the First Age). I’ve read LOTR, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion (my favorite!), Unfinished Tales, and I’m working on HoME (I’m on Book of Lost Tales Part 2).

Yesss, I always need more Tolkien friends! None of my family likes Tolkien, so I have no one to talk to. 🙁

Aranel
                  @aranel

Hello, Janessa! (I love that name, btw.)

I’m working on the first book in a fantasy series (and am slowly losing my mind over it, but so it goes). I used to write middle-grade mysteries, for fun or for my siblings, and I’ve done some historical fiction. My problem is, I constantly get ideas and switch from story to story, so they rarely get finished. My current book/series, however, I’m taking more seriously and am actually trying to finish.

Aranel
                    @aranel

Hello, hybrid! Fellow homeschooler (or graduated homeschooler, anyway). Do you do online school, or a co-op, or just textbooks?

I highly approve of your reading choice. 🙂

My favorite book is the Silmarillion; favorite series, Lewis’s Space Trilogy.

My WIP is kinda complicated, but here’s the basic outline: in the early days of the world (Ulvrast), some spirits coupled with humans and produced the powerful race of linya. Since then, linya have been viewed as half-demons and have isolated themselves in the mountains. For the longest time, linya and humans fought each other, as each wanted to rule the country (Brening). Finally humans won, but linya just set up their own government in the wilderness (which humans tried to ignore, since they were sick of fighting). In the present time, linya are taking steps to get Brening for themselves, while humans are trying to subdue linya once and for all. Meanwhile, monsters are slowly on the move, trying to destroy Brening. (And then there’s multiple subplots, but they’re all related.)

Other hobbies? Book collecting. Visiting bookstores and libraries. Coffee-shopping. Looking at fan art related to my favorite books. I also love listening to music.

Aranel
                      @aranel

@thearcaneaxiom

Hello! Nice to meet you! What sort of sci-fi/fantasy have you read? (Most important question: have you read Lewis’s Space Trilogy?)

Worldbuilding. . . . probably more hard worldbuilding, though it depends on what I’m writing. For my current project, definitely hard worldbuilding.

My WIP is kinda complicated, but here’s the basic outline: in the early days of the world (Ulvrast), some spirits coupled with humans and produced the powerful race of linya. Since then, linya have been viewed as half-demons and have isolated themselves in the mountains. For the longest time, linya and humans fought each other, as each wanted to rule the country (Brening). Finally humans won, but linya just set up their own government in the wilderness (which humans tried to ignore, since they were sick of fighting). In the present time, linya are taking steps to get Brening for themselves, while humans are trying to subdue linya once and for all. Meanwhile, monsters are slowly on the move, trying to destroy Brening. (And then there’s multiple subplots, but they’re all related.)

For your last question. . . . hmmm, I’ll have to think about that, because I think there could be a world that is homological in some ways and autological in others. (Now my brain wants to know if a world could be neither, which doesn’t make sense, but if so, how it would be.)

Aranel
                        @aranel

@acancello

Hello! (Another homeschooler, wonderful!) The genre you write sounds fascinating. . . . that’s an area that’s criminally underwritten (in my opinion).

Favorite book series: Lewis’s Space Trilogy. Though I’m really enjoying the History of Middle-Earth, too. (The Book of Lost Tales Part 1 is hilarious.) I don’t really play sports, though my family will sometimes play soccer against each other (I have nine siblings, so we do boys against girls–eight girls against my dad and one of my brothers; it’s more evenly matched than it sounds). I also bike-ride a lot. Are you into any sports?

I write almost every day, though when it comes to my WIP I procrastinate a lot because I have to work on solidifying the outline, and I don’t want toooooo.

My favorite character. . . . that’s a hard one. Probably a guy named Alan Faelon. He’s a spy, and I think he’s the most complicated of the characters I’ve developed. Every time I want to say I like him, I can’t, because he does some very shady things, but I can’t DISLIKE him because he does some very awesome things. In one instance, he helps rescue another character and promises to lead her to safety, which is great. But he takes advantage of her because she can summon magic and he can’t–he can only use it, and she can’t. So, he makes her summon magic for him, and it’s all very she-doesn’t-like-it-but-she’s-not-sure-what-to-do-about-it-because-he’s-helping-her-right? Eventually she stands up to him and they become more of a partnership.

Thank you, I’m really excited about joining!

TheArcaneAxiom
                          @thearcaneaxiom
                            • Total Posts: 1251

@aranel

Hello! Nice to meet you! What sort of sci-fi/fantasy have you read? (Most important question: have you read Lewis’s Space Trilogy?)

Hmm, I’m afraid that I haven’t read Lewis’s Space Trilogy:( I have heard of it though, and I’ll probably put it on my to do. I’ve read a large amount of Brandon Sanderson’s works in both sci-fi and fantasy. In fantasy, I’ve read from him Stormlight 1, 2, and half of 3, all of Mistborn, most of Wax and Wane, Tress, Alcatraz, the Rithmatist, and many others, I’ve also read his sci-fi, like Frugal Wizard, the Skyward series, Legion, and the Reckoners, and more others. (Sanderson is one of my favorite authors)

Other than Sanderson, for fantasy I’ve read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and a few others. For sci-fi I’ve read Dune 1 and 2, To Sleep in a Sea of Stars, I started a bit of Asimov, but didn’t get into it, and started Children of time, but it was too profane and gross. And I’ve read many others, but that’s a good summary.

What about you?

Worldbuilding. . . . probably more hard worldbuilding, though it depends on what I’m writing. For my current project, definitely hard worldbuilding.

Same, I’m definitely more of a thinking type, and I want everything to be explained, even if it isn’t explained to the readers.

Sounds interesting. How would humans and spirits reproduce though? Are the spirits non-ethereal? Are the Linya unquestionably evil in your world, or do they have free will? If the Linva are regarded as have demons, then are the spirits actual demons that seduced some humans?

For your last question. . . . hmmm, I’ll have to think about that, because I think there could be a world that is homological in some ways and autological in others. (Now my brain wants to know if a world could be neither, which doesn’t make sense, but if so, how it would be.)

Well, that intuition is right. Logically, if something discribes itself, then it must be autological, and the only alternative is that it doesn’t describe itself. However, this rule is true, until you consider two words specifically, autological and homological. Are these two words autological, or homological? Consider the latter first. If homological is homological, that is to say that homological does not describe itself, but homological by definition, is a word that does not describe itself, so since that’s how it is defined, that means that it does describe itself, but if homological does describe itself, but if it does describe itself the, it’s describing something that does not describe itself, so it has to be homological. You find something similar to autological, but instead of working for neither category, it works for both.

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Esther
                            @esther-c
                              • Total Posts: 3213

@aranel

Welcome to Kingdom Pen, Sarah!!

I’m Esther: a volleyball-playing, violin-squeaking, dog-obsessed, homeschooled, fiction-writing, God-loving, teen girl!

I wouldn’t say I’m a Tolkien geek, but I really enjoy what I’ve read by him. I’ve watched all the movies (which I know can be quite different from the books 😉 ) but I recently finished reading The Hobbit and really liked it!

Question time!

1. Who’s your favorite character to write, and why?

2. If you could visit any country in the world, where would it be and why? How about a fictional country?

3. What’s your favorite part about fall? (If you like autumn at all… XD)

Nice to meet you and hope to see ya around!!

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Esther.

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Cloaked Mystery
                              @jonas
                                • Total Posts: 2624

@aranel
                                Hello! I’m Cloaked Mystery, more mundanely known as Jonas.

I’m a senior in high-school, homeschooled piano player, composer, video game designer, fantasy writer. My main project is a fantasy universe that I’m working on with my sister, @highscribeofaetherium.

Questions (hopefully unasked):

Do you write more traditional (medieval European setting) fantasy, or more unique settings, or a mix?

Do you include magic systems in your fantasy stories? (They’re one of my favorite things.) If so, do you prefer hard or soft magic systems? (Hard meaning more concrete rules.)

See you later!

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                                ✨ Magic System Creator
                                🎭 Character RPer
                                📚 Appreciator of Books

-GRCR-
                                @grcr
                                  • Total Posts: 949

@aranel

I know I’m pretty late, but hi!

I’m GRCR! I’m a fiction writer and an avid artist, journalist for my fictional newspaper, and a character lover that has thousands of characters, (and I love them so much that I wish they were real people, lol). I enjoy listening to music and imagining my characters singing the songs. And, I enjoy 2D and 3D animating.

Anyhow, welcome to KP! 😁

As is the tradition, here are some “ask the newbie” questions:

If you have any characters, how many do you have?

Which perspective do you enjoy most: first person (I walked), second person (You walked), or third person (He/she walked)?

And, if you were going to write an entirely original and new book, what would you create first: the world or the characters?

Hope you enjoy KP, and I’ll see you around! 🙃

...i see the world in my head every time i close my eyes...

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >