Hello!

Home Page ā€ŗ Forums ā€ŗ General Site Info ā€ŗ Start HERE ā€ŗ Hello!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Aranel
    @aranel
      • Total Posts: 29

[quote quote=157837] @aranel

Hmm, Iā€™m afraid that I havenā€™t read Lewisā€™s Space Trilogy:( I have heard of it though, and Iā€™ll probably put it on my to do. Iā€™ve read a large amount of Brandon Sandersonā€™s works in both sci-fi and fantasy. In fantasy, Iā€™ve read from him Stormlight 1, 2, and half of 3, all of Mistborn, most of Wax and Wane, Tress, Alcatraz, the Rithmatist, and many others, Iā€™ve also read his sci-fi, like Frugal Wizard, the Skyward series, Legion, and the Reckoners, and more others. (Sanderson is one of my favorite authors) Other than Sanderson, for fantasy Iā€™ve read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and a few others. For sci-fi Iā€™ve read Dune 1 and 2, To Sleep in a Sea of Stars, I started a bit of Asimov, but didnā€™t get into it, and started Children of time, but it was too profane and gross. And Iā€™ve read many others, but thatā€™s a good summary. What about you?

The Space Trilogy is sci-fi with a dash of faerie (and some King Arthur, or at least Merlin). Do not ask me how it works so well, but it does. Brandon Sanderson is definitely on my TBR list. I of course read Tolkien, and I recently picked up The Fionavar Tapestry (which was good, a bit explicit sometimes, but not so bad that I couldnā€™t read it). Lately, Iā€™ve been studying Norse mythology and Arthurian legend; Iā€™ve also read a little Heinlein, and I like what Iā€™ve read.

Same, Iā€™m definitely more of a thinking type, and I want everything to be explained, even if it isnā€™t explained to the readers.

Right, I want to feel like this is a real place with its own complex history and science and culture and yadda yadda yadda. It gives the world more depth.

Sounds interesting. How would humans and spirits reproduce though? Are the spirits non-ethereal? Are the Linya unquestionably evil in your world, or do they have free will? If the Linva are regarded as have demons, then are the spirits actual demons that seduced some humans?

These are great questions. To reproduce, a spirit has to possess a physical person. Usually this is a gradual process, though it goes quicker if the person agrees to be possessed. Possession temporarily grants great power, though it just leads to complete loss of personality and free will, and eventually destruction. Yes, linya have free will, though at this time the majority are making less-than-stellar decisions. And yes, pretty much, though they had not completely fallen until then. That action was considered the last straw.

Well, that intuition is right. Logically, if something discribes itself, then it must be autological, and the only alternative is that it doesnā€™t describe itself. However, this rule is true, until you consider two words specifically, autological and homological. Are these two words autological, or homological? Consider the latter first. If homological is homological, that is to say that homological does not describe itself, but homological by definition, is a word that does not describe itself, so since thatā€™s how it is defined, that means that it does describe itself, but if homological does describe itself, but if it does describe itself the, itā€™s describing something that does not describe itself, so it has to be homological. You find something similar to autological, but instead of working for neither category, it works for both.[/quote]

That hurt my brain in a wonderful way. I shall have to ponder this further.

Aranel
      @aranel

@esther-c

Hello, nice to meet you! As for your first question, I cannot answer, lol. (Iā€™m wondering, can you? I love asking other people this question, but for me, my characters are my children and I canā€™t pick favorites.)

2. If you could visit any country in the world, where would it be and why? How about a fictional country?

New Zealand, for Hobbiton. And Ireland. And Italy. As for fictional: First Age Beleriand in Middle-earth. Or Narnia.

3. Whatā€™s your favorite part about fall? (If you like autumn at allā€¦ XD)

Cool weather! (I live in Florida.)

Aranel
        @aranel

@jonas

Nice to meet you! What is the fantasy universe like?

Do you write more traditional (medieval European setting) fantasy, or more unique settings, or a mix?

Great question, and it depends. Iā€™ve mostly written traditional, but that was in my early days before I read much fantasy. So, what little I have written from those days is terrible. I had a book in a more Academia-type setting, but I shelved it for the time being.

My current project is a mix. The world is heading into a Victorian-type setting (especially in the big city, though there are still hints of medieval-ness, particularly among royalty). The traditional setting is really felt in the wilderness communities. Technology-wise, itā€™s a bit of steampunk (but just a bit; as I said, itā€™s on the cusp of culture change). What about you?

Do you include magic systems in your fantasy stories? (Theyā€™re one of my favorite things.) If so, do you prefer hard or soft magic systems? (Hard meaning more concrete rules.)

Again, depends. In my current project, elements have their own language, which people can learn. They can thus communicate and ā€˜controlā€™ the elements, if the elements are willing to work with them. So, thatā€™s more of a hard system. The linya, who are of supernatural descent, are more likely to have that power naturally, plus extra powers like unmaking things at a touch. Thatā€™s more soft.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Aranel.
          Aranel
          @aranel

@grcr

Hello! (I get that about character loving, lol.) Animating! Thatā€™s cool! Do you use that for your stories at all?

If you have any characters, how many do you have?

A lot. My current project has ten main POV characters (and some main characters who get slight POVs, and some major side characters. . . .)

Which perspective do you enjoy most: first person (I walked), second person (You walked), or third person (He/she walked)?

Probably third person, though I find first person easier. Which do you prefer?

And, if you were going to write an entirely original and new book, what would you create first: the world or the characters?

Characters. Usually my ideas start with characters. I might see a picture that inspires me, maybe of an outfit, imagine the person wearing the outfit, and design a world and story for them. You?

-GRCR-
            @grcr
              • Total Posts: 947

@aranel

šŸ˜„ So, not yet.. I plan to animate my stories, but usually I make my characters sing to my favorite songs.

Ā 

Cool!

I like third person a lot, but first person is cool too. Iā€™m trying to write some of my books in first, but I have bit of a hard timeā€¦ šŸ˜…

Lolā€¦ I always make the characters first.

ā€œWhat be a cretin?ā€
              ā€œOf course you wouldnā€™t know. Itā€™s aā€¦ bread you put in salad.ā€

TheArcaneAxiom
              @thearcaneaxiom
                • Total Posts: 1251

@aranel

The Space Trilogy is sci-fi with a dash of faerie (and some King Arthur, or at least Merlin). Do not ask me how it works so well, but it does. Brandon Sanderson is definitely on my TBR list. I of course read Tolkien, and I recently picked up The Fionavar Tapestry (which was good, a bit explicit sometimes, but not so bad that I couldnā€™t read it). Lately, Iā€™ve been studying Norse mythology and Arthurian legend; Iā€™ve also read a little Heinlein, and I like what Iā€™ve read.

Iā€™m sure it works very well. I havenā€™t read much of Lewis, but I know him to be a brilliant man, and sci-fi merging with fantasy plotline and concepts isnā€™t unheard of, and I would even go as far as to say itā€™s relatively common. It makes sense for Lewisā€™s time as well, where he studied rigorously various mythologies, philosophies, and histories, and applying what he knows in a space opera sort of way, and the idea of space travel would still have been only a fantasy at that point.

So you seem to be really into the old school writing, so thatā€™s really cool. You can find a lot more of the raw details of storytelling.

Right, I want to feel like this is a real place with its own complex history and science and culture and yadda yadda yadda. It gives the world more depth.

Absolutely! At the same time, I recognize that thereā€™s good soft worldbuilding as well. It can allow you to view the world in an almost childlike fashion. Itā€™s hard to do well though, often people simply use it as an excuse to be lazy writers, when in reality you need to put an equal amount of effort, just in a very different way. Personally though, it simply doesnā€™t suit how my brain works when storytelling, so depth is preferred.

These are great questions. To reproduce, a spirit has to possess a physical person. Usually this is a gradual process, though it goes quicker if the person agrees to be possessed. Possession temporarily grants great power, though it just leads to complete loss of personality and free will, and eventually destruction. Yes, linya have free will, though at this time the majority are making less-than-stellar decisions. And yes, pretty much, though they had not completely fallen until then. That action was considered the last straw.

Interesting, so do the spirits specifically possess woman that then conceive, or can men also be possessed, and reproduction occurs in some other way? Perhaps a spirit possesses someone, then they pair with another human, and that produces a linya child? Or by produce, do you mean not through any form of child conception, just the host and spirit merge completely, and become a linya?

That hurt my brain in a wonderful way. I shall have to ponder this further.

Excellent, I hope your ponderings go well.

Ā 

Ā 

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Cloaked Mystery
                @jonas
                  • Total Posts: 2624

@aranel

The Space Trilogy is sci-fi with a dash of faerie (and some King Arthur, or at least Merlin). Do not ask me how it works so well, but it does. Brandon Sanderson is definitely on my TBR list.

Iā€™ve only read the first two books of the space trilogy, but I liked them both. Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors, so I highly recommend him. If you want recommendations on which books to read first, I or probably thearcaneaxiom could give some suggestions.

šŸ° Fantasy Writer
                  āœØ Magic System Creator
                  šŸŽ­ Character RPer
                  šŸ“š Appreciator of Books

Euodia
                  @euodia-vision
                    • Total Posts: 1306

@aranel

Mae govannen, Euodia! Elen sĆ­la lĆŗmennā€™ omentielvo. Yes, I looove Tolkien. I enjoy watching the movies (as long as Iā€™m allowed to rant about everything wrong with them, lol), but the books are my favorite (especially books on the First Age). Iā€™ve read LOTR, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion (my favorite!), Unfinished Tales, and Iā€™m working on HoME (Iā€™m on Book of Lost Tales Part 2).

Hi! (sadlly I canā€™t speak elvish and failed in finding an online translator so i donā€™t know what you said. XD) So cool!! (and yes, feel free to rant about the movies, I have a lot to say on the hobbit movies). And yes, I agree that The Silmarillion might be my favorite Tolkien book! I really liked The Fall of Gondlian too!

Yesss, I always need more Tolkien friends! None of my family likes Tolkien, so I have no one to talk to. šŸ™

My sister loves Tolkien so we rant about them a lot, and I just got my bestie into it! But no one on here is a HUGE fan. Marvel is the big thing, (which Iā€™m not opposed to XD)

I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick and I was like, "That log had a child

Esther
                    @esther-c
                      • Total Posts: 3213

Hello, nice to meet you! As for your first question, I cannot answer, lol. (Iā€™m wondering, can you? I love asking other people this question, but for me, my characters are my children and I canā€™t pick favorites.)

Lol, I totally get that. XD Iā€™m not sure, tbh. Sometimes it changes depending on my mood. šŸ˜‚ But most of the time, I love writing one of my MCs, Everton. Heā€™s my impulsive, sometimes cocky, defensive, and probably a little wild boi! Heā€™s much more fun to write in interaction with other people though, especially his best friend.

New Zealand, for Hobbiton. And Ireland. And Italy. As for fictional: First Age Beleriand in Middle-earth. Or Narnia.

Oooh, awesome!

Cool weather! (I live in Florida.)

Oh yeah, totally understand. šŸ˜‰ I live in Ohio, so the weather is pretty wild up here sometimes. But Iā€™ve visited Florida/southern Georgia a lot, so I know what youā€™re talking about. XD

Write what should not be forgotten. ā€” Isabel Allende

Aranel
                      @aranel

@grcr

Thatā€™s cool! I love animation (though I canā€™t do it myself at all). Yeah, first person can be tricky, lol.

Aranel
                        @aranel

Iā€™m sure it works very well. I havenā€™t read much of Lewis, but I know him to be a brilliant man, and sci-fi merging with fantasy plotline and concepts isnā€™t unheard of, and I would even go as far as to say itā€™s relatively common. It makes sense for Lewisā€™s time as well, where he studied rigorously various mythologies, philosophies, and histories, and applying what he knows in a space opera sort of way, and the idea of space travel would still have been only a fantasy at that point.

So you seem to be really into the old school writing, so thatā€™s really cool. You can find a lot more of the raw details of storytelling.

Yes, itā€™s somewhat of a passion of mine.

Absolutely! At the same time, I recognize that thereā€™s good soft worldbuilding as well. It can allow you to view the world in an almost childlike fashion. Itā€™s hard to do well though, often people simply use it as an excuse to be lazy writers, when in reality you need to put an equal amount of effort, just in a very different way. Personally though, it simply doesnā€™t suit how my brain works when storytelling, so depth is preferred.

Yes, same. I would like to try a story with soft worldbuilding, but it would take a lot of careful planning.

Interesting, so do the spirits specifically possess woman that then conceive, or can men also be possessed, and reproduction occurs in some other way? Perhaps a spirit possesses someone, then they pair with another human, and that produces a linya child? Or by produce, do you mean not through any form of child conception, just the host and spirit merge completely, and become a linya?

A spirit possesses someone, then they pair with another human, and that produces a linya child.

Excellent, I hope your ponderings go well.

Yes, itā€™s the sort of thing about which I enjoy thinking. šŸ™‚

Aranel
                          @aranel

Iā€™ve only read the first two books of the space trilogy, but I liked them both. Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite authors, so I highly recommend him. If you want recommendations on which books to read first, I or probably thearcaneaxiom could give some suggestions.

You MUST readĀ That Hideous Strength! Very different when compared to the first two, but breathtakingly good. Dystopia done right (of course, as itā€™s C. S. Lewis).

Aranel
                            @aranel

Hi! (sadlly I canā€™t speak elvish and failed in finding an online translator so i donā€™t know what you said. XD) So cool!! (and yes, feel free to rant about the movies, I have a lot to say on the hobbit movies). And yes, I agree that The Silmarillion might be my favorite Tolkien book! I really liked The Fall of Gondlian too!

For Elvish, I recommend Parf Edhellen. Itā€™s this online dictionary for most of Tolkien languages. Very useful. (I saidĀ well met, a star shines on the hour of our meeting.)

The Fall of Gondolin is definitely my favorite Tale of Beleriand. (I still canā€™t hate Maeglin, even after all that. I feel too bad for him, even though he was creepy with Idril.)

Aranel
                              @aranel

Lol, I totally get that. XD Iā€™m not sure, tbh. Sometimes it changes depending on my mood. šŸ˜‚ But most of the time, I love writing one of my MCs, Everton. Heā€™s my impulsive, sometimes cocky, defensive, and probably a little wild boi! Heā€™s much more fun to write in interaction with other people though, especially his best friend.

I love the wild characters, probably because theyā€™re so different from me. I was thinking about it, andĀ right now at this very second,Ā my favorite character is my rogue character Fiona Eden. Sheā€™s very mischievous, which makes her a lot of fun.

Sara
                                @savannah_grace2009
                                  • Total Posts: 1986

@aranel

Yay, we have another Sara(h)!

But you spell your name wrong, lol. The correct way to spell it is actually Sara. haha!

(If you couldnā€™t tell, I am joking. Obviously, thereā€™s no right or wrong way to spell it. I probably just ruined my own joke, but I canā€™t risk offending people on KP. I want to be friends with everyone, lol)

Iā€™m going to ask you some hopefully not already asked questions!

What is your favorite color?

What is your favorite animal?

What is your WIP about (assuming you have one)?

What kind of music do you listen to? I listen to Christian music. I love Colton Dixon, For King and Country, Ellie Holcomb, Sarah Reeves, Britt Nicole, and Danny Gokey, as well as pretty much every Christian artist out there! I could literally go on and on and onā€¦.

Whatā€™s your favorite person to write in? First person (I did/do this), Second person-itā€™s really rare, but still I have to ask, haha (You do this), or third person (He/she did/does this)

I like writing in first person (I do this) or third person (he/she did this).

I love music, writing, reading, and animals!

See you around!

Ā 

Lukas&Livia
                                  #Lalbert
                                  Sef&Chase
                                  #HOTTOLINE
                                  LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >