Fantasy/Modern School AU RP

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Fantasy/Modern School AU RP

Viewing 15 posts - 6,181 through 6,195 (of 6,293 total)
  • Author
    Keilah H.
    @keilah-h
      • Total Posts: 4721

@ellette-giselle @calyhuge @koshka @loopylin

Hunter

“Hey, do you know Crosshair?” Some older kids came up to Hunter, questioning.

Hunter nodded. “Sure do! He’s my brother. Where do you know him from?”

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

calyhuge
      @calyhuge
        • Total Posts: 71

@keilah-h @ellette-giselle @koshka @loopylin

How old is Hunter? My characters are 16 rn

Kate

“Where do you know him from?”

Brian chuckled at the memory. “Well, he startled me and I almost killed him at lunch the other day, and then we were in the relic class. You know, the elective that only had one class before the teacher was kicked out.”

“I do recall he sat out during the big fight that day,” I said dryly.

“I’m sure there was a good reason,” Brian asserted. “Anyway, I’m Brian, and this is Kate. Who are all of you?”

I ❤️ Debating Theology
        I ❤️ Family Heritage
        I ❤️ Medievals

Ellette Giselle
        @ellette-giselle
          • Total Posts: 1072

@calyhuge @koshka @loopylin @keilah-h

Rory

An unfamiliar voice spoke and Rory whipped around. A boy and girl about his age were talking to Hunter. The young dragon boy seemed at ease with the newcomers. He was speaking freely and had taken up no position of defense. That doesn’t mean anything. Rory thought. Not everyone here is a soldier. In fact, you might be the only one. This is a school. Not a battlefield. Rory glanced sideways at Leo, who was holding his little brother and looking very much like he didn’t want to be involved in yet another delay. Rory still wasn’t so sure about him having never been a soldier. Nope, he most certainly was. Besides, everything is a battlefield for me.

The new boy’s voice caught Roy’s attention. “Anyway, I’m Brian, and this is Kate. Who are all of you?”

Rory looked first at the girl. She didn’t seem to pose much threat, so he sized up the boy. So far they both seemed friendly, and Rory could sense no underlying malicious intentions.

“I’m Rory,” he said stiffly, offering Brian his hand.

Riker dropped his voice to a soft whisper. “…I’m home.”

Keilah H.
          @keilah-h

@ellette-giselle haha Rory’s in for a surprise if he thinks Hunter and the gang aren’t soldiers.

@calyhuge
            I think I said Hunter was 12 earlier, but apparently I made a mistake and he’s actually 13. Sorry everyone else! lol

@koshka
             @loopylin

Hunter

“Well, he startled me and I almost killed him at lunch the other day, and then we were in the relic class. You know, the elective that only had one class before the teacher was kicked out.”

Crosshair had told Hunter about that yesterday…..

That class had been cool, from what he’d said. Shame it didn’t exist anymore.

“Anyway, I’m Brian, and this is Kate. Who are all of you?” the new boy said. Rory looked around warily but introduced himself anyway, and the others followed in turn.

Leo held onto the little kid–his brother?–like he really wanted to put him down somewhere.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

calyhuge
            @calyhuge

@keilah-h yeah, Brian’s also a knight, so I hope Rory doesn’t have a heart attack when Brian draws his sword for battle later 😂

I ❤️ Debating Theology
              I ❤️ Family Heritage
              I ❤️ Medievals

Koshka
              @koshka
                • Total Posts: 1555

@calyhuge @loopylin @keilah-h @ellette-giselle

Leo

He shifted Quincy higher on his shoulder. The kid sighed, tucking his fluffy blonde head against Leo’s neck. It looked like Quincy wasn’t waking up anytime soon.

“I’m Leo. I work here.” He smiled at Kate and Brian. “And this little monkey is Quincy, my kid brother.” Or at least, that’s what the school paperwork said. But no matter.

This Relics class sounded familiar somehow. Where had he…oh. His first work order. Something about dangerous materials within student access.

He mentally shrugged. Ms. Charles kindergarten class was probably getting snack about now. Time to get Quincy back where he belonged.

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Ellette Giselle
                @ellette-giselle

@calyhuge @keilah-h

Oh he most likely will.

Actually, Brian will be lucky if he gets out of that one unscathed if he doesn’t give a warning.

lol.

Y’all are so mean! Are you trying to give poor Rory more PTSD flashbacks!?

lol

calyhuge
                  @calyhuge

@ellette-giselle It’s not our fault soldiers are cool characters 🥺

I ❤️ Debating Theology
                    I ❤️ Family Heritage
                    I ❤️ Medievals

Ellette Giselle
                    @ellette-giselle

@calyhuge

There are other cool characters. *says the person with 95% of their lead characters in the army.*

calyhuge
                      @calyhuge

Yeah, there’s the uh… the uh… uh… um…

I ❤️ Debating Theology
                        I ❤️ Family Heritage
                        I ❤️ Medievals

Ellette Giselle
                        @ellette-giselle

@calyhuge

The damsel in distress?

*smiling and blinking hopefully*

Keilah H.
                          @keilah-h

@ellette-giselle ok but HOW is a damsel in distress cool??

The whole “in distress” thing, from what I’ve seen, has kinda been turned into “I am a pansy and will faint or something at the very sight of blood or even a grasshopper.”

I really don’t think every female character should be the “rarrrr I’m a warrior and you can’t say no to that” kind of a thing, but I also don’t think they should all be weakling-pushovers either. A good female character, in my mind, should respect her God-given status as a woman but should at least be able to defend herself if it comes to that.

also Calyhuge is a guy I think so it’s much less likely he’ll be into that kinda character lol

sorry about this rant, I know you’re just joking.

Keilah H.
                            @keilah-h

all that to say, I really don’t like the damsel in distress trope cause it implies that being “in distress” is all the character’s good for.

Ellette Giselle
                              @ellette-giselle

@keilah-h

I agree with you…. but if you look at the old original damsel in distress stories, the girl was often a strong woman, but she was defeated and captured by a man, or held captive by evil in some way. (Totally reasonable.)

I think as women it can be easy to balk when we hear that term because of what society has been telling us.

Distress means:
                                To be in extreme anxiety, sorrow, or pain.

That could happen to anyone.

To say that we were not in a state of distress before Jesus (the Prince and warrior) rescued us (His bride) would be completely false.

I know Calyhuge is a boy, which is why I mentioned that character. Lol. However, she can be a very interesting, (and Biblical) character to write.

Keilah H.
                                @keilah-h

@ellette-giselle yeah it’s so much more reasonable when you have context and the proper meaning of the word is used (I’m sure you know all about the newspeak dilemma where people, especially important people, use one word when they really mean something else, in order to control or to convince others to do something they normally wouldn’t). I agree with you that modern society has blown it way out of proportion (but when have they NOT done that with a character trope, y’know?).

it can be an interesting character to write but is just as easy to butcher as any other archetype.

Viewing 15 posts - 6,181 through 6,195 (of 6,293 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >