Endings

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Christine Eaton
    @christi-eaton
      • Total Posts: 306

Theater kid. Currently depressed because I can't stop listening to sad musicals.

Faith Kindred
      @faithdk
        • Total Posts: 139

Wow, am I late or what?! *eats cookie* But I’m like most everyone else: I don’t have much to add. But you all have some very good points, I can say that. 😉
        @hope, Well I haven’t written an ending of a novel yet (obviously because I’ve never finished one. Duh! 😛 ) but I do like endings/last lines that sorta just sum up the whole book, or else finish on a lighthearted, humorous note. Like, in The Door Within trilogy, I really like the ending of the last book where Ayden says “Will there be adventures in _____?” (it’s been quite a while since I read it, so I can’t remember all the names of the places and people) And then the “King” grins and says something like “More than you could ever imagine,” or something like that. I really liked how Batson completed that book.
        So, I think something lighthearted always works well with an ending. But in the case where it wouldn’t work, then I would write something that just makes the whole story feel complete. A nice, gentle fall to the end? (that sounded way less weird in my head 😛 ), except if, you know, a character dies. That’s always sad…and I’ve read plenty books where it’s not always a gentle fall either… So, ahem, anyway, 😛 I agree with you about cliffhangers, especially in trilogies. The first book concludes the main point, the second has a good cliffhanger, and the third completes it. 🙂 Makes me want to read a good trilogy again…
        *eats another cookie*

@christi-eaton
        Haha! I’ve never heard of that word before! But it fits this topic. I wouldn’t say that I am finifugal though…with a relationship, yes. Stories? No! I always want to see how it ends! 😉

Greta
        @gretald
          • Total Posts: 450

@Christi-Eaton Hahaha, that’s hilarious!

Christine Eaton
          @christi-eaton
            • Total Posts: 306

I figured it fit 😉

Theater kid. Currently depressed because I can't stop listening to sad musicals.

Hannah Olsen
            @hannah-olsen
              • Total Posts: 32

I happen to be one of those ‘finifugal’ folks… (Not that I hate endings, but I dread having to write one) I think what frustrates me most about them, is trying to get everything wrapped up so that the reader finally understands every detail and is left with some interesting poignant memory. I’m glad someone started this thread, because I can probably use any advice possible when it comes to endings. 😀

Ingrid
              @ingridrd
                • Total Posts: 830

@hope
                Huh. I guess I’ve never noticed that before. I learn something new every day! 🙂

@christi-eaton

Ha ha ha. That’s great! 😀

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

Hannah C
                @hannah-c
                  • Total Posts: 362

*Sneaks in backdoor and acts like she was there the whole time. Steals cookie*

Well I’m going to bring up Counted Worthy again.

*SPOILER ALERT, PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK*

So at the end of the book the MC’s father is executed for being a Christian but somebody had managed to broadcast the whole thing live on tv unbeknownst to the government/executioners. While it was all terribly sad and heartbreaking, his death turned out to be for good because it shook the nation up and made them realize what kind of people were running the country and made them start protesting. It was lovely and I haven’t done it justice.

So I haven’t added any new thoughts but I just wanted to say what I did.

HC

Sarah Hoven
                  @sarah-h
                    • Total Posts: 669

I really want to read that book, but I can’t seem to find it anywhere. Our libraries don’t have it.

Hannah C
                    @hannah-c

@sarah-h it’s free on Wattpad if you’re on there.

HC

Jada Morrison
                      @jadamae
                        • Total Posts: 199

@Sarah-h It is a Amazon Kindle book, if you have a kindle.

Sarah Hoven
                        @sarah-h
                          • Total Posts: 669

Thanks everyone! I don’t have a Kindle, though if I ever get one I will be sure to look. What exactly is Wattpad? Is it an app?

Hannah C
                          @hannah-c

@sarah-h I’m sorry, were you talking about Counted Worthy or Animal Farm? Somehow I seem to have gotten all mixed up.

Wattpad is an app, it is also a website. Basically you sign up for free and you can read different books as well as post snippets of your own so you can build a following.

HC

Daeus
                            @daeus
                              • Total Posts: 4238

@hannah-c Are you on wattpad? What’s your username?

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Hannah C
                              @hannah-c

@daeus I’m LaviniaScott. I already stalk you. *Laughs maniacally as she runs away with all the cookies*

HC

Daeus
                                @daeus
                                  • Total Posts: 4238

@hannah-c Ah, I wondered about that. Sneaky you.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >