Cover Art Sharing Space/Critique

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Cover Art Sharing Space/Critique

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Trahia the Minstrel
    @trahia-the-minstrel
      • Total Posts: 193

@power

Yeah, you’re not wrong about helmets😅. But my character doesn’t wear one as part of his design, probably for the reasons you just stated, though I never really thought about it before … however, the armour he’s wearing is ceremonial armour, not battle armour — it’s a sign of status, not a tool of strength. And the boy on the left actually doesn’t wear armour  because he’s more of a stealth kinda person. As for the girl in the front middle — she doesn’t wear armour because A: armour is heavy, and taxing on people who wear it, and B: her style is all about agility. You can be agile in armour, and even do mid-air flips in it. But you have to be really strong and insanely fit.

But thanks for the point about the helmets — I really need to consider giving some my characters helmets when they’re in battle. Hmm. Now I need to go away and think about general armour design ……

The end of a story, a beautiful picture; a feeling of longing yet hope~
      That’s my wish to create.

Scoutillus Finch
      @scoutfinch180
        • Total Posts: 413

@trahia-the-minstrel

Thank you!

Yes, I decided to go with A.D. Kidwell for my pen name… it’s an abbreviated version of my real name, but it was suggested and sounded much better than my original pen-name Dawn Robin.

@annabelle

Your drafts are a great start!

If you don’t mind, I thought I’d share a cool tip I learned (from a math class actually). You can conceal your pencil strokes by using small, circular motions with gentle pressure to create a softer feel and I found it easier to cover more of the paper opaquely and conceal pencil strokes.

I typically get bolder colors out of soft-lead pencils, and harder leads tend to be a little lighter and take more time to put most color down. Also, using lighter pressure on the paper allows you to blend colors easier. What brand of pencil are you using out of curiosity? Do you plan to hand-draw or digitally draw your cover?

I hope this isn’t too much unsolicited advice, but i hope this help you! I know a tip here and there can go a long way.😉

We crazy people are the normal ones.

Scoutillus Finch
        @scoutfinch180
          • Total Posts: 413

@koshka

Thanks! Talking about the theme doesn’t spoil anything at all! (I’m not too concerned about spoilers TBH, i like alking about my WIP so I’m happy to provide some detail that would be considered such) I actually didn’t notice how the title was aligned in the second v. the first until you pointed that out! Thanks!

The general theme of my WIP is redemption and social injustice stemming from bitterness over the past. I have to admit, I think that the social injustice is mostly where the sci-fi comes in. I’m not good with physics or anything really science-y. But my husband is, and he will tell me if something’s unrealistic so I’m definitely happy about that. (I’m 19 and got married a few months ago, just so you don’t think a 15-year-old got married XD)

The plot of the first story (that is also in the title name) is about… *deep inhale for another attempt at a blurb* …

Jake, reeling from the loss of his brother, takes one last job before he retires early from his criminal career. It sounded pretty simple at first, but after his life is saved by the very monster he was sent to kill, the job quickly becomes more than it seems.

A very tiny blurb for a short story that is that start of a series I don’t really plan to publish. (My skill level isn’t quite there yet)

We crazy people are the normal ones.

Koshka
          @koshka
            • Total Posts: 1424

@scoutfinch180

Ah, ok. I love talking about my books too much (my dear twin ends up having to listen to my ramblings most of the time), so I try to be careful with what I start, if that makes any sense.

To be honest, I don’t know much about sci-fi. The most I’ve actually read in that genre was Thorny Twins, and that was a long time ago, when I was too young to understand it. I just remember feeling slightly confused and dark. What little I have picked up more recently has just continued to turn me off.

Congratulations! and good clarification. XD

(My skill level is somewhere between good and non-existent. Probably closer to the latter.)

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Elishavet Pidyon
            @elishavet-pidyon
              • Total Posts: 1013

OooOooOooo, everyone’s covers are intriguing….

@trahia-the-minstrel

Ah, Eirtan…I guess Yartas might not be the only other country in the brother-nations. 😉

S. isn’t in there, but Amichai is. 😉

I’ve been thinking a good route might be making the cover look like an old leather bound book with images embossed (like a Shepherd’s crook, lamp/torch, sword, child’s profile, etc.), because I think I might be able to do that using what tools I have. Still, I might try to draw it, or even get someone to dress up for a photoshoot. The “only” problem with that is that I don’t know anybody who looks close enough (but that’s what photoshop is for, right?)

I’m crazy. 😉

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Annabelle
              @annabelle
                • Total Posts: 108

@koshka

No, I don’t use a blender most of the time, although I probably should. I’m not really an expert artist. I just draw for fun sometimes.

In the words of Jinto Queb, "Hurry, reading is fun!"

Koshka
                @koshka
                  • Total Posts: 1424

@annabelle

Blenders are wonderful, if you find a type you like. They aren’t necessary, like any other tool.

That’s the best reason to draw! If you do it enough you’ll develop a lot of skill in whatever way you like. I didn’t have much skill at all, untill about 13-14.

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Keilah H.
                  @keilah-h
                    • Total Posts: 3875

@trahia-the-minstrel (and everyone else) Those look so cool!

Sadly, I haven’t done cover art for Into The Forbidden Cavern yet…. But at some point I will! Maybe once I start actually writing it.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Jodi Maile
                    @jodi-maile
                      • Total Posts: 138

@trahia-the-minstrel I’m so late!! My notifications haven’t been working on KP, apparently…

I love your covers! The compositions are great and the details are so cool! It’s super hard making a good cover…I don’t have any for my WIPs at the moment but when I do I’ll put them up here. This is such a cool idea and space to share our covers! 🙂

Ava Coulter
                      @avacoulter
                        • Total Posts: 50

@trahia-the-minstrel

Wow, I’m also late to this XD

Holiday stuff, ya know…

Those covers are gorgeous! I especially liked the second one! The details are awesome, and I love the titles! That’s so cool that you can draw like that too. I mostly just use Canva for my graphics/covers, and even that is pretty difficult (for me anyways) XD

I wouldn’t change anything about them. I think just add some color and they’re perfect!

I’m pretty knew to the graphic design world, so obviously I’m not that good. But…here’s a mock cover I made for Book 1 of my Dystopian Trilogy (it’s kinda plain but…):

That which is striking and beautiful is not always good, but that which is good is always beautiful.

Ava Coulter
                        @avacoulter

Haha! Did I just spell new like knew?! That’s really sad XDD

That which is striking and beautiful is not always good, but that which is good is always beautiful.

Lydia S.
                          @lydia-s
                            • Total Posts: 399

Love the covers, y’all!!! 🙂 Unfortunately, my only cover design has an old title on it, and the image I used doesn’t really work with the new title. Guess I need to design a new one! XD

Trahia the Minstrel
                            @trahia-the-minstrel
                              • Total Posts: 193

Hi everyone! Sorry for the late replies, I’ve been having a huge Christmas break

@elishavet-pidyon

You’re totally not crazy! I think your cover idea sounds epic! I mean, leather? That’s so cool! And you seem to be quite a good artist — I’m sure you could draw it or use photoshop!

It’s still so funny that we inadvertently have similar names in our books😂. I like it! I look forward to reading yours whenever you publish it.😊

@scoutfinch180

I think your own name suits your book design quite well! That’s cool you’re married! (I’m 18 and don’t have a chance of getting married by 19😂) Congratulations!
                              Also, your drawing advice was really good. Have you ever seen Mark Chiller’s drawing videos on YouTube? That was where I learnt that circle pencil stroke thing from — but it’s cool you picked it up from math class. It’s funny how much math has to do with art sometimes … especially if you ever try animation …

Tried computer animation and found out how hard and math-involved it was.

Your blurb sounds real interesting too!

@keilah-h

Thanks! Don’t worry, you’ll get there😊. I love your title!

@jodi-maile

Thanks Jodi! And don’t worry about being late, I totally neglected this forum over Christmas😅. I really love imagining how my covers might look. I also love imagining how my story would play and look if it were an anime. Am I weird?😂

@avacoulter

No worries! I like your font, it really conveys a certain futuristic kind of a feel. Thanks so much for the kind comments! (I’ve actually stalled on cover design for a bit as I got some how to draw fantasy map books for Christmas. So now I want to learn how to draw maps.)

Also, your profile pic is soooo pretty.

@lydia-s

I’ll look forward to seeing it if you do!

The end of a story, a beautiful picture; a feeling of longing yet hope~
                              That’s my wish to create.

Jodi Maile
                              @jodi-maile
                                • Total Posts: 138

@trahia-the-minstrel

Haha no, definitely not weird!! I love thinking of my stories as a movie, which is kind of similar. I’ve actually taken some directing/filmmaking classes online because of this…but that might also just be because I love movies and visual storytelling XD

Ava Coulter
                                @avacoulter

@trahia-the-minstrel

Thanks! 🙂

Of course! Oh that’s really cool! That would super cool to be able to draw maps for your own worlds and stuff!

Thank you!! *grins* I like yours as well!

@jodi-maile

Heh, I literally do the same thing! Oh that’s awesome! For a while I considered writing for films and such, but I decided to just stick to writing novels and short stories and indie publish when I’m ready. But who knows! Maybe I will do some screen writing one day…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >