Cosmere/Brandon Sanderson

Home Page ā€ŗ Forums ā€ŗ Fiction Writing ā€ŗ Book Discussions ā€ŗ Cosmere/Brandon Sanderson

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    TheArcaneAxiom
    @thearcaneaxiom
      • Total Posts: 1250

@jonas

I think Sanderson said you would have to ā€œhackā€ the magic system to get AonDor to work off world.

In other words, RAFOšŸ˜‚

Sanderson is well known for his magic systems, but I feel like AonDor and all of the other magic systems that are only hinted at are all fairly boring. AonDor is quite generic for a magic system. It can do basically anything, and it has no special limitations except for location. Granted, this is his first published book, but having already read Mistborn, Stormlight, and Warbreaker, the magic here feels bland in comparison.

I felt the same. I donā€™t count it against him for the reasons youā€™ve already pointed out, I just decided to enjoy the story aspect more. There was the classic Sanderson unfolding with figuring out what was wrong with the Aons, which is always fun, it just didnā€™t really tell us why that was the case.

What is interesting is how many magic systems Sel has. There are at least three present in Elantris itself, and I believe that there are one or two more in the Emperorā€™s Soul, which I am probably going to read next. It makes me wonder how exactly magic systems are created. Scadrial has two shards, just like Sel, and it has one magic system related to each shard, plus one that is a mix. Even with the Shards combined, it didnā€™t change anything. Sel has the same amount of Shards and they similarly became combined, but there are many magic systems, and none of them seem explicitly related to either shard, except for Seons and Skazes, which are splinters of Devotion and Dominion, respectively.

Yeah, thatā€™s a good point. The Aons and the other magic system in the bones at least seemed like branches of the same magic. Raoden assumed that they all came form the Dor, which Iā€™m guessing is secretly just Devotion and Dominion, despite just being spoken of as non-sentient? It could be similar to Scadrial, where thereā€™s the two, then the one thatā€™s a mix, except itā€™s many combinations of the two systems, perhaps similar to twinborn, using both systems in combo, essentially making a new one, except it may be more subtle in this case.

Although Elantris is probably my least favorite Cosmere book Iā€™ve read so far, Iā€™m pretty excited for Elantris 2 and 3, because they will probably have a lot of Cosmere information. They will probably be a lot different from Elantris 1, considering how much more Cosmere information tends to be given in more recent books than the early ones.

Yeah, Iā€™m excited t see where he goes with it. It was the beginning of the Cosmere, and Elantrians have been appearing everywhere, so itā€™s probably gonna be big moving forward.

I have now finished the Emperorā€™s Soul. I actually really liked it! Forgery is a pretty cool magic system. The book was very different from what Iā€™m used to from Sanderson.

I liked it too! Itā€™s interesting how much more connected to the cognitive realm it was, or at least how self aware it was about it.

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Cloaked Mystery
      @jonas
        • Total Posts: 2624

@thearcaneaxiom

In other words, RAFOšŸ˜‚

I wonder if you could use Feruchemy. Remember those disc things in BoM? What if you were able to store connection to Elantris and then tap it so that you could use AonDor anywhere?

Raoden assumed that they all came form the Dor, which Iā€™m guessing is secretly just Devotion and Dominion, despite just being spoken of as non-sentient?

The backstory behind the Dor isnā€™t given in Elsntris, but can be scraped together from Arcanum Inbounded and a SA epigraph. Thereā€™s also been WoBs confirming this. Dominion and Devotion were splintered by Odium very early on. He was unpracticed at it, so it didnā€™t work as he had intended. His goal was for the shardsā€™ power to become inaccessible, so he locked it in the Cognitive Realm. But the investiture of the two Shards mixed together and became the Dor, which is not sentient, as you said, but is essentially a combination of the two shards just as Harmony is. As a side note, the Dor has made the Selish cognitive realm very dangerous.

Iā€™m guessing the weirdness of the Dor is related to the location-based magic system, but maybe not the number of them, because we do have one more example of a planet with multiple shards: Roshar. Roshar had two shards at first, and a third later on. If it followed Scadrialā€™s pattern, then it would have six (or maybe seven if there was one from all three shards) magic systems with Odium there. Instead, it only has one.Ā It seems that the surgebinding used by the Knights Radiant is derived from Honor and Cultivation, because apparently Shardblades and plate are made of an alloy of their metals. Meanwhile, the Fused use a surgebinding derived from Odium. There are multiple ways to access it, but these are all the same magic system. We do know that there is a separate magic system called voidbinding, but we havenā€™t seen it yet. So it seems that magic systems are more complicated then there being one for each shard, plus a hybrid between them. Scadrial does work like this, but Sel has many magic systems, despite having only two shards, and Roshar has less magic systems then Shards.

Ā 

Ā 

I read Shadows for Silence last night. Ā Next is Sixth of the Dusk. Then the only Cosmere books I have left will be the Lost Metal, Tress, Yumi, and Sunlit. I think thatā€™s it.

šŸ° Fantasy Writer
        āœØ Magic System Creator
        šŸŽ­ Character RPer
        šŸ“š Appreciator of Books

Cloaked Mystery
        @jonas

Okay I just checked and that is everything, except the White Sands graphic novel. I think a full novel for White Sands is scheduled for the end of 2025, so Iā€™ll probably just wait for that.

šŸ° Fantasy Writer
          āœØ Magic System Creator
          šŸŽ­ Character RPer

HighScribe
          @highscribeofaetherium
            • Total Posts: 2215

@jonas

Sunlit isnā€™t out yet, is it?!?

It's harder to make a square evil than it is a triangle.

Annoying side character of the KP cast.

Cloaked Mystery
            @jonas

@highscribeofaetherium

Yes it is.

šŸ° Fantasy Writer
              āœØ Magic System Creator
              šŸŽ­ Character RPer

Cloaked Mystery
              @jonas

Itā€™s almost the end of the year, and all the secret projects were for this year.

šŸ° Fantasy Writer
                āœØ Magic System Creator
                šŸŽ­ Character RPer

HighScribe
                @highscribeofaetherium
                  • Total Posts: 2215

@jonas

Oh, I didnā€™t realize that.

It's harder to make a square evil than it is a triangle.

Annoying side character of the KP cast.

TheArcaneAxiom
                  @thearcaneaxiom

@jonas

I wonder if you could use Feruchemy. Remember those disc things in BoM? What if you were able to store connection to Elantris and then tap it so that you could use AonDor anywhere?

That would make a lot of sense. Scadrians are the first to discover space travel, right? That could explain Tress. Then the Elantrians in SH were simply in the cognitive realm of Scadrial.

The backstory behind the Dor isnā€™t given in Elsntris, but can be scraped together from Arcanum Inbounded and a SA epigraph. Thereā€™s also been WoBs confirming this. Dominion and Devotion were splintered by Odium very early on. He was unpracticed at it, so it didnā€™t work as he had intended. His goal was for the shardsā€™ power to become inaccessible, so he locked it in the Cognitive Realm. But the investiture of the two Shards mixed together and became the Dor, which is not sentient, as you said, but is essentially a combination of the two shards just as Harmony is. As a side note, the Dor has made the Selish cognitive realm very dangerous.

Ahh, that makes sense. I was gonna ask if that was the moment Elantris fell, perhaps triggering the Chasm and stuff, but I just realized that the Dor was much more ancient in concept.

Iā€™m guessing the weirdness of the Dor is related to the location-based magic system, but maybe not the number of them, because we do have one more example of a planet with multiple shards: Roshar. Roshar had two shards at first, and a third later on. If it followed Scadrialā€™s pattern, then it would have six (or maybe seven if there was one from all three shards) magic systems with Odium there. Instead, it only hasĀ one.Ā It seems that the surgebinding used by the Knights Radiant is derived from Honor and Cultivation, because apparently Shardblades and plate are made of an alloy of their metals. Meanwhile, the Fused use a surgebinding derived from Odium. There are multiple ways to access it, but these are all the same magic system. We do know that there is a separate magic system called voidbinding, but we havenā€™t seen it yet. So it seems that magic systems are more complicated then there being one for each shard, plus a hybrid between them. Scadrial does work like this, but Sel has many magic systems, despite having only two shards, and Roshar has less magic systems then Shards.

Thatā€™s true. Sanderson originally intended to make 20 different magic systems for Roshar, but thatā€™s when he came up with the ā€œgo deeper before you go fartherā€ principle, so he backtracked. There is technically the Old Magic, which is regarded as if a magic system, but I would assume that even the StormFather could do that if it was what he was created to do, so itā€™s likely not even unique.

I read Shadows for Silence last night. Ā Next is Sixth of the Dusk. Then the only Cosmere books I have left will be the Lost Metal, Tress, Yumi, and Sunlit. I think thatā€™s it.

Shadows was interesting, if a little creepy. I was quite interested in the ā€œEvilā€ which Iā€™m assuming had to do with a shard splintering. Sixth of Dusk was cool too. Itā€™s set way way into the future of the Cosmere, as are most of the SPs. All I got left is the rest of Warbreaker, Lost Metal, Rhythm, and Sunlit (plus White Sand). Iā€™m not sure what youā€™ll think of Tress and Yumi, they are on the more whimsical side of Sandersonā€™s writings, but I think youā€™ll enjoy them, and thereā€™s a lot of Cosmere stuff.

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Cloaked Mystery
                    @jonas

@thearcaneaxiom

Shadows was interesting, if a little creepy. I was quite interested in the ā€œEvilā€ which Iā€™m assuming had to do with a shard splintering.

Yeah it was interesting. Iā€™m not sure if the Evil is directly caused by a Shard splintering, but the shades are so it seems likely. Arcanum Unbounded mentions that a shard was shattered near Threnody, and it was confirmed in a WoB that that shard was Ambition, splintered by Odium. (Odium sure has a nasty track record. He murdered a quarter of the shards!)

Sixth of Dusk was cool too. Itā€™s set way way into the future of the Cosmere, as are most of the SPs. All I got left is the rest of Warbreaker, Lost Metal, Rhythm, and Sunlit (plus White Sand). Iā€™m not sure what youā€™ll think of Tress and Yumi, they are on the more whimsical side of Sandersonā€™s writings, but I think youā€™ll enjoy them, and thereā€™s a lot of Cosmere stuff.

Iā€™m definitely interested in reading some full length content about side planets. The SPs are full novels and not just novellas, right?

šŸ° Fantasy Writer
                      āœØ Magic System Creator
                      šŸŽ­ Character RPer

TheArcaneAxiom
                      @thearcaneaxiom

@jonas

Yeah it was interesting. Iā€™m not sure if the Evil is directly caused by a Shard splintering, but the shades are so it seems likely. Arcanum Unbounded mentions that a shard was shattered near Threnody, and it was confirmed in a WoB that that shard was Ambition, splintered by Odium. (Odium sure has a nasty track record. He murdered a quarter of the shards!)

Yeah, Odium is reeking a whole lot of havoc, lol. Perhaps heā€™s a tad too passionate about his work?

Iā€™m definitely interested in reading some full length content about side planets. The SPs are full novels and not just novellas, right?

Yeah, theyā€™re full length novels, except for the 5 SP, but thatā€™s not Cosmere.

Cloaked Mystery
                        @jonas

@thearcaneaxiom

Another thing interesting in Shadows for Silence is the silver. I think thatā€™s the only place weā€™ve seen where silver is important. It seems that silver is sort of similar to aluminum, except that it seems to actually hurt the shades, whereas aluminum would presumably just block them. But if silver has some sort of effect on investiture, I wonder why nobody else in the Cosmere has developed any uses for it against investiture.

šŸ° Fantasy Writer
                          āœØ Magic System Creator
                          šŸŽ­ Character RPer

TheArcaneAxiom
                          @thearcaneaxiom

@jonas

Thatā€™s a good point. It could be the rarity of silver? I would assume that itā€™s commonplace, but perhaps not?

Cloaked Mystery
                            @jonas

@thearcaneaxiom

Itā€™s definitely fairly common. In HoA Vin was held in silver shackles to prevent her using them. Sanderson actually considered silver being used instead of aluminum, but decided that aluminum would work better, because it would start out rare and then become more common. Maybe silver just isnā€™t viable against most investiture. I would guess that you must be able to affect it with Allomancy, or else they would have noticed. Maybe itā€™s mainly useful against cognitive shadows.

šŸ° Fantasy Writer
                              āœØ Magic System Creator
                              šŸŽ­ Character RPer

Cloaked Mystery
                              @jonas

And now Iā€™ve read Sixth of the Dusk. This one was definitely interesting. The aviar magic system is not clearly laid out, which is unusual, but pretty interesting. Itā€™s also interesting how it seems that a lot of the creatures that inhabit First of the Sun can detect and send mental messages.

šŸ° Fantasy Writer
                                āœØ Magic System Creator
                                šŸŽ­ Character RPer

TheArcaneAxiom
                                @thearcaneaxiom

@jonas

Yeah, that makes sense. I wonder if Sanderson will come up with any specific reason of why different metals interact with investiture differently.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 88 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >