Cosmere/Brandon Sanderson

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions Cosmere/Brandon Sanderson

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Cloaked Mystery
    @jonas
      • Total Posts: 2624

@thearcaneaxiom

@highscribeofaetherium

Since every discussion of specific books inevitably turns into a discussion of everything Brandon Sanderson, I have created a new forum.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
      ✨ Magic System Creator
      🎭 Character RPer
      📚 Appreciator of Books

HighScribe
      @highscribeofaetherium
        • Total Posts: 2215

@jonas

Lol that’s true.

It's harder to make a square evil than it is a triangle.

Annoying side character of the KP cast.

HighScribe
        @highscribeofaetherium

@jonas

Anyways, getting back on topic, I started warbreaker, and it’s ok so far.

Cloaked Mystery
          @jonas

That would be getting back on topic if we were still in the Warbreaker forum.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
            ✨ Magic System Creator
            🎭 Character RPer
            📚 Appreciator of Books

HighScribe
            @highscribeofaetherium

And now I put that in the wrong place.

TheArcaneAxiom
              @thearcaneaxiom
                • Total Posts: 1250

I love siblings😂

@jonas

Frugal Wizard, Rithmatist, Reckoners, as well as skyward, Alcatraz, Legion, and a few others I haven’t read or considered.

What makes the theory convincing to me is the continuity of interdimensional travel, and alternate earth history. It both makes basic continuity issues dissolve, but it is itself a continuity. They all follow alternate earth histories, and Frugal, skyward, and Reckoners discuss interdimensional travel in different ways, then a character appears in both Alcatraz and Frugal, though as an easter egg, it’s still intriguing.

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

TheArcaneAxiom
                @thearcaneaxiom

@jonas

Oh, and legion also suggests the possibility of alternate realities in some discussion, where the different aspects could be real people elsewhere, but it’s half posed as a joke.

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Cloaked Mystery
                  @jonas

@thearcaneaxiom

Ohhh! So you’re saying his books other than the Cosmere might be a multiverse? That makes more sense. The Rithmatist was originally going to be part of the Cosmere though, but obviously if they are all connected, he could have just changed it then.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                    ✨ Magic System Creator
                    🎭 Character RPer
                    📚 Appreciator of Books

TheArcaneAxiom
                    @thearcaneaxiom

@jonas

Yeah, sorry I didn’t make that clearer😅 It would be odd for Rithmatist to be Cosmere, since it is explicitly an alternate earth, though he might of originally intended for the magic system to be used for a different planet instead, which would make sense.

Cloaked Mystery
                      @jonas

@thearcaneaxiom

Yeah, the reason he removed it from the Cosmere was because it included earth.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                        ✨ Magic System Creator
                        🎭 Character RPer
                        📚 Appreciator of Books

TheArcaneAxiom
                        @thearcaneaxiom

@jonas

A very different earth. North America for example is split up into islands, not a mainland, but that being said, it is still objectively an earth in history, cultures, and names, but that’s what makes the multiverse theory so compelling, especially with Frugal.

Cloaked Mystery
                          @jonas

@thearcaneaxiom

Has anyone asked him about the multiverse theory? (He probably wouldn’t admit it, though.) It’s pretty crazy how ambitious he is. He already has this huge epic saga (the Cosmere) and then also writes a bunch of unrelated series/stanalone stories that may end up being another connected multiverse.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                            ✨ Magic System Creator
                            🎭 Character RPer
                            📚 Appreciator of Books

TheArcaneAxiom
                            @thearcaneaxiom

@jonas

I’m sure that many have. I’ve looked into it a bit, and it seems like there’s been a lot of discussion amongst fans about it, and Sanderson has even planned on writing more books related to a multiverse like Frugal. 17th Shard simply says that it has been a common theory that poses similar evidences that I worked out and mentioned already. One thing that I haven’t considered is that if it is a true multiverse, and Alcatraz is part of it, that would either mean that we are a part of said multiverse, or he is talking to a different earthlike audience, because Alcatraz is very self aware, explaining that everything we know is a lie. Alcatraz specifically is a bit of a monkey wrench into the system as a whole actually now that I think about it, as physics as a concept is often labeled as a Librarian propaganda. There is still obvious natural laws, just some more free parameters. Regardless, if Alcatraz is a world in this multiverse, then the other worlds are either completely under Librarian or Librarian equivalent control, which wouldn’t add up in worlds like Reckoners and Skyward for different reasons, or Alcatraz is a world far more open, but the Librarians are tying it down to appear more like the others. The magic systems is a completely other topic as well in how they might all connect… hmmm, I probably sound like a crazy connect the dots type of guy right now. I’m actually gonna try developing a proper network graph of how it all might work now.

Cloaked Mystery
                              @jonas

@thearcaneaxiom

Well Alcatraz is probably the most likely to not be part of the multiverse, because it’s intended for a younger audience. The multiverse wouldn’t have to include every non-Cosmere story, so if there’s any that don’t seem to fit, they might just not be part of it.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                                ✨ Magic System Creator
                                🎭 Character RPer
                                📚 Appreciator of Books

TheArcaneAxiom
                                @thearcaneaxiom

@jonas

True, but being for a younger audience doesn’t make rebels not star wars cannon for example. And Cecil G. Bagsworth is in it, so while it may be purely an easter egg, I think there are ways of making it work. That being said, there are definitely some non-Cosmere books that are going to be their own thing, like Infinity Blade.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 88 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >