Cosmere/Brandon Sanderson

Home Page ā€ŗ Forums ā€ŗ Fiction Writing ā€ŗ Book Discussions ā€ŗ Cosmere/Brandon Sanderson

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    TheArcaneAxiom
    @thearcaneaxiom
      • Total Posts: 1253

@jonas

Oh, also, is it the orb in Secret History? If not, could you at least mention where itā€™s found?

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Cloaked Mystery
      @jonas
        • Total Posts: 2625

@thearcaneaxiom

Yeah, Invested Art is basically the in-universe term for magic system. I havenā€™t read LM either. I think Harmony was talking about having a difficult time acting due to the conflicting intents in the other WaW books.

šŸ° Fantasy Writer
        āœØ Magic System Creator
        šŸŽ­ Character RPer
        šŸ“š Appreciator of Books

Cloaked Mystery
        @jonas

@thearcaneaxiom

Wait, what orb?

šŸ° Fantasy Writer
          āœØ Magic System Creator
          šŸŽ­ Character RPer

Cloaked Mystery
          @jonas

@thearcaneaxiom

Oh wait, you mean the orb that Kelsier used to take the shard of Preservation? I think that was some sort of invention by those people he stole it from. I donā€™t think it has anything to do with a Dawnshard. The only thing I referenced from SH was the line where Leras says ā€œSURVIVEā€ in all caps. Let me find where that is.

šŸ° Fantasy Writer
            āœØ Magic System Creator
            šŸŽ­ Character RPer

TheArcaneAxiom
            @thearcaneaxiom

@jonas

Yeah, Invested Art is basically the in-universe term for magic system. I havenā€™t read LM either. I think Harmony was talking about having a difficult time acting due to the conflicting intents in the other WaW books.

Thatā€™s true. He did make a point that in character, he favors preservation, but in nature, he must yield to balance.

Oh wait, you mean the orb that Kelsier used to take the shard of Preservation? I think that was some sort of invention by those people he stole it from. I donā€™t think it has anything to do with a Dawnshard. The only thing I referenced from SH was the line where Leras says ā€œSURVIVEā€ in all caps. Let me find where that is.

I remember the SURVIVE, Iā€™m just wondering who held the other Dawnshard you were talking about.

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Cloaked Mystery
              @jonas

Okay so pg 333 in my copy of Arcanum Unbounded. Part 6 Chapter 4 of SH.

šŸ° Fantasy Writer
                āœØ Magic System Creator
                šŸŽ­ Character RPer

Cloaked Mystery
                @jonas

Lag

šŸ° Fantasy Writer
                  āœØ Magic System Creator
                  šŸŽ­ Character RPer

Cloaked Mystery
                  @jonas

@thearcaneaxiom

Iā€™m just wondering who held the other Dawnshard you were talking about.

Oh, that. Hoid used to have a Dawnshard. I donā€™t remember where that is stated, though. Thatā€™s why he canā€™t hurt people. His dawnshard is characterized as being ā€œdiametrically opposed to harm.ā€ That really sounds like the Survive dawnshard to me.

šŸ° Fantasy Writer
                    āœØ Magic System Creator
                    šŸŽ­ Character RPer

TheArcaneAxiom
                    @thearcaneaxiom

@jonas

Ohhhh, interesting, but makes a whole lot of sense. I would assume that Iā€™ve seen that by now, but I donā€™t know. Iā€™m in the middle of Warbreaker, going to read Rhythm, then Lost Metal, then Sunlit, then I will have finished the Comsere, so if itā€™s in any of those, itā€™s probably the first two. Didnā€™t Hoid give Kelsier a good beating? Unless that doesnā€™t count, since Heā€™s a cognitive shadow. That would be ironic if itā€™s the Survive Dawnshard, and he hurt Kelsier of all people.

Cloaked Mystery
                      @jonas

@thearcaneaxiom

Didnā€™t Hoid give Kelsier a good beating? Unless that doesnā€™t count, since Heā€™s a cognitive shadow.

Yep, it didnā€™t count. Hoid said that Kelsierā€™s mind fabricated the pain that he shouldĀ feel, and so he isnā€™t actually hurting him.

šŸ° Fantasy Writer
                        āœØ Magic System Creator
                        šŸŽ­ Character RPer

TheArcaneAxiom
                        @thearcaneaxiom

@jonas

Ok, that makes sense

Cloaked Mystery
                          @jonas

@thearcaneaxiom

I just finished Elantris. I donā€™t have much thought on the story at the moment, except that it was relatively mediocre. I feel like a lot of it has been done better in his later books. For instance, Raodenā€™s plot line was very similar to Kaladinā€™s in WoK, but I didnā€™t find Raoden as interesting of a character.

Iā€™m more interested in the hidden bits of lore that we donā€™t get to know about. I see what you meant when you said there is a lot left unsaid. I would like to see more of these Skaze for instance. All I know is that they are splinters of Dominion.

Iā€™m also curious about the mention of Vax in the Ars Arcanum. Ati mentioned it in SH as well.

šŸ° Fantasy Writer
                            āœØ Magic System Creator
                            šŸŽ­ Character RPer

TheArcaneAxiom
                            @thearcaneaxiom

@jonas

Yeah, I enjoyed it, but I see what you mean. Thereā€™s so much about the Elantrians I want to know about though, like if there is a locational influence on how much power an Elantrian has, then when did they figure out how to explore the whole Cosmere, still bearing their powers?

Cloaked Mystery
                              @jonas

@thearcaneaxiom

I think Sanderson said you would have to ā€œhackā€ the magic system to get AonDor to work off world.

Sanderson is well known for his magic systems, but I feel like AonDor and all of the other magic systems that are only hinted at are all fairly boring. AonDor is quite generic for a magic system. It can do basically anything, and it has no special limitations except for location. Granted, this is his first published book, but having already read Mistborn, Stormlight, and Warbreaker, the magic here feels bland in comparison.

What is interesting is how many magic systems Sel has. There are at least three present in Elantris itself, and I believe that there are one or two more in the Emperorā€™s Soul, which I am probably going to read next. It makes me wonder how exactly magic systems are created. Scadrial has two shards, just like Sel, and it has one magic system related to each shard, plus one that is a mix. Even with the Shards combined, it didnā€™t change anything. Sel has the same amount of Shards and they similarly became combined, but there are many magic systems, and none of them seem explicitly related to either shard, except for Seons and Skazes, which are splinters of Devotion and Dominion, respectively.

Although Elantris is probably my least favorite Cosmere book Iā€™ve read so far, Iā€™m pretty excited for Elantris 2 and 3, because they will probably have a lot of Cosmere information. They will probably be a lot different from Elantris 1, considering how much more Cosmere information tends to be given in more recent books than the early ones.

šŸ° Fantasy Writer
                                āœØ Magic System Creator
                                šŸŽ­ Character RPer

Cloaked Mystery
                                @jonas

@thearcaneaxiom

I have now finished the Emperorā€™s Soul. I actually really liked it! Forgery is a pretty cool magic system. The book was very different from what Iā€™m used to from Sanderson.

šŸ° Fantasy Writer
                                  āœØ Magic System Creator
                                  šŸŽ­ Character RPer

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 88 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >