Book Lovers!

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions Book Lovers!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    Allison
    @acancello
      • Total Posts: 838

@light-warrior-pen

I love L.M. Montgomery! I have heard of the Emily series and they sound good. Do you think they are better than the Anne series? All the other books you listed all sound great! Now instead of looking for familiar series in a new library I can find some new ones!

TheLoonyOne
      @theloonyone
        • Total Posts: 404

@orielle21

Ooh, I love Dune! I started it before I watched the movie, but it’s kind of long. 😂 Both the book and movie are really good though! I’ve only read the first one, but I have the second and third so I’ll definitely read them someday. And the second movie is pretty much the only movie that I’m looking forward to right now. And, uh, yeah, Timothée Chamalet… 😅😆

What is your book series about? And yup, LOTR is amazing!

Allison
        @acancello

Here’s a few more series I remembered! Have you read any? Did you like them?

1. The Expeditioners- By S.S.Taylor- This book is for anyone who loved adventuring, traveling, excitement!
          2. Anything Sharon Creech!- I have read almost all of her books and loved everyone! My favorites so far, would be “Walk two moons”, “Absolutely normal chaos”and “Chasing redbird”. They each have such a great story in each one that you wont want to put it down! In each one there is usually a bit of sadness, anger, love and happiness. I would defiantly recommend!
          3. Sister of the bride- By Beverly Cleary- This book is so cute!
          4. Nancy Drew’s- By Carolyn Keene (Who is actually many authors working together to write the book) Yes, Nancy Drew’s are for littler kids, but I still love to read them!
          5.  My america series- Each of the books take place in a different time period and have a different kid telling the story by writing a diary. I will warn you though, there may be some violence, swearing and sadness, but it depends on the one you choose. Each one tells you so much about history and makes you feel like your there!
          6. The boxcar children- By Gertrude Chandler Warner. These books are for much younger kids but every time I open one I get so happy! I love these books so much and ever since I read these in 1st grade the 4 main characters feel like friends! There is over 130 books in the series and I have not read them all 🙂
          7. The wrinkle in time – By Madeleine L’Engle- This book is science fantasy and it pulls you right in. However the movie wasent nearly as good as the book 🙂

Thats all I can think of now! Ill let everyone know if I remember any more!

Esther
          @esther-c
            • Total Posts: 3205

@acancello

Tips to stay focused? Well…

I’m not really sure. I think I just love my characters and my story so much, that I just have to write it. While I don’t write it every day, I do write it often because I love it so much. A way that I think helps me stay focused on this one project, is 1) Kingdom Pen and 2) my family. Y’all here on KP have encouraged me by either reading my first draft or just loving my characters as well! My younger siblings and some of cousins have also read/listened to me first draft and they encourage me to keep writing more, because they love the story. Another way to stay focused is prayer and letting God be a part of your writing. He’s helping me write this story for His glory and I regularly ask that He would be evident in my writing. I know He is helping me write for His glory.

Also, I know this doesn’t work for everyone, but you could try writing every day. Anywhere from a few sentences to two chapters. That may help you be more consistent. (I don’t personally do this, though.)

So I guess that’s how I stay focused. 😀 Maybe some of that would help or give you a few ideas for how to stay focused personally. 🙂

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Allison
            @acancello

@esther-c

Thank you! Those are some great tips! I usually don’t have my mom or dad read my books because I like to have it a surprise, but I am going to start having them read it! 😀 I don’t write my book everyday, but i’m trying to. Thanks again!

Jayna Baas
              @booksbyjayna
                • Total Posts: 93

@acancello

1. I am looking for book recommendations (I like action packed and super exciting, also sometimes a bit of romance)

You should give The Scarlet Pimpernel a try. It’s an old book, so quite longwinded, and there’s mild cussing throughout, but it’s a really fun adventure story. You’ll probably notice that I mention either the book or the 1934 black-and-white frequently. 🙂 The Elusive Pimpernel was almost as good as the first book. I love some of Davis Bunn’s thrillers—Lion of Babylon is my favorite, but the other two in that series (Rare Earth and Strait of Hormuz) are also good. If you like thrillers, the Shepherd Suspense trilogy by Andrew Huff is definitely action-packed. Saving Amelie by Cathy Golke is also good if you like WWII romance, although it has some tough stuff in it. If you want fantasy, sorry, you’ve got the wrong girl. 😉

2. Did any of you publish any books? If so what ones?

I released my first full-length novel in 2020, titled Preacher on the Run. It’s the tale of a preacher who’s outlawed for resisting the British government just prior to the Revolutionary War. Here’s the full description:

STANDING FOR TRUTH COULD COST HIM HIS FREEDOM. FIGHTING FOR FREEDOM COULD COST HIM HIS LIFE.

It’s 1771, and North Carolina is at war. On one side stands the power of the Crown. On the other side stands a dangerous freedom of conscience.

Former circuit rider Robert Boothe has spent the last four years leading the tyrant-hating Regulators against North Carolina’s corrupt British government. All he wants is a safe place for his little Baptist church to worship God.

But when Colonel Charles Drake arrives in town, Robert becomes a target. The Church of England wants him to shut up. The governor wants him dead.

Now Robert’s church and family are caught in the crossfire. And that safe place is farther and farther away.

You can ask @freedomwriter76 to tell you what she thinks of this one. 🙂 I’m currently working on the sequel and also have a prequel short story that’s free to my newsletter subscribers.

3. What’s your favorite book series? Mines currently Anne of green gables!

I don’t really have a favorite series. More favorite authors, I guess, like Davis Bunn (although I’m not a fan of the weird speculative fiction he’s been getting into) and Amanda Dykes. Amanda Dykes is an autobuy for me now. Her books aren’t action-packed but they’re just so beautiful.

Tips for staying focused? Well, for me it involves things like turning my phone off and just making myself sit down and write, even if I’m feeling stuck. But it’s different for everyone.

​Jayna Baas
                Christian Author/Editor
                www.booksbyjayna.com

Anonymous
                  • Total Posts: 8156

@booksbyjayna

You can ask @freedomwriter76 to tell you what she thinks of this one. 🙂

Oh, yes… 😉

@acancello
                  Preacher On The Run is epic!!!!

It has a really epic, God-centered, pretty action-packed story/plot, and the characters are soooooo good, real, raw, and relatable. I related to almost all of them in different ways and it had an amazing (albeit annoying, as almost all are) villain that wholly completed the novel.

It’s message is spot-on too and is a message that I always have to remind myself of, and a message that really resonated with me and my own struggles. 🙂

Again, highly recommended! Easily still my favorite book of all time. 😀

Esther
                  @esther-c
                    • Total Posts: 3205

@acancello

Glad I could help!! 😀

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Jayna Baas
                    @booksbyjayna
                      • Total Posts: 93

Thanks, @freedomwriter76! Here’s hoping the second book lives up to the first one. 🙂

​Jayna Baas
                      Christian Author/Editor
                      www.booksbyjayna.com

Anonymous

@acancello

1. I am looking for book recommendations (I like action packed and super exciting, also sometimes a bit of romance)

I have read many, many novels…too many to count! 😂

I would recommend Alan Gratz’s books. Most of his are middle-grade Historical-Fiction novels, but they are always full of action and good themes. He’s not a Christian author, per say, but his books often feature good messages that Christians can agree with.

@euodia-vision
                        can attest to how good his books are. 😉

My personal favorite is Ground Zero, but Refugee, Projekt 1065, Grenade, and Allies are also really good.

Kimberly Brubaker Bradley and Laurie Halse Anderson both also have good books that are in the middle-grade range, but they’re normally a little bit slower than Alan Gratz’s.

2. Did any of you publish any books? If so what ones?

Not yet, lol! My main project right now is a WWII/Holocaust WIP with two MC’s, a Jewish Young Man and an SS Lieutenant, with the main message being forgiveness. 🙂

3. Whats your favorite book series? Mines currently Anne of green gables!

Probably the Sunrise At Normandy trilogy by Sarah Sundin! It’s a reread, but I love the characters and messages in her Historical-Romance novels!

But her books handle some very tough topics/themes on occasion, as they are adult novels, so I won’t recommend them for anyone that may be a bit more sensitive to more tough and adult issues. 🙂

Anonymous

@booksbyjayna You’re very welcome, Jayna! Oh, I’m most certain it will. 😉

Allison
                          @acancello

@booksbyjayna

I am totally going to  read your book, it sounds amazing! Just one question, what reading level is it? Amanda Dykes… She sounds familiar but I don’t think I have read anything by her yet 🙂

LandriC
                            @landric
                              • Total Posts: 105

Hi @acancello!

Here are some of my favorite series….

• Viking Quest by Lois W. Johnson. This one is about a brother and sister who get captured by Vikings and convert them to Christianity eventually. They’re great!
                              • Redwall by Brian Jacques (MY ALL TIME FAVORITE) Pure simple awesomeness. Nuff said. Read it and then tag me with your thoughts if you do. I LOOVE to talk Redwall.
                              • Wingfeather Saga by Andrew Peterson
                              • The Scarlet Pimpernel (MY ALL TIME FAVORITE CLASSIC!! Thanks, @booksbyjayna) Great adventure/love story.
                              • Ranger’s Apprentice by John Flanagan. (Slight swearing, but just a few words here and there in really tense situations.)
                              • The Green Ember by S. D. Smith! This series is also fantastic. It’s about a rabbit brother and sister trying to save their homeland. I love it, and they’re completely clean with great adventure vibes!

My biggest tip for staying focused is setting a deadline. Mark down goals for yourself on a calendar. Maybe tell your parents that’s the day you’ll share your book with them? That helps me stay focused. Then, when you get ready to write each day, sit down, set a timer, and put on some good music. (There are some great fantasy instrumentals on Spotify!) Hope that helps!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by LandriC.

"To death or to victory"

Allison
                              @acancello

@freedomwriter76

This might be a dumb question, but how do you do that green line next to your texts 😀 For now ill do a dot

• It’s message is spot-on too and is a message that I always have to remind myself of, and a message that really resonated with me and my own struggles.

Thats great! I love books with great messages! I am definitely going to check it out

All the books you recommended im going to add to my “Future read” list, especially the sunrise at Normandy 🙂  Thanks!

Anonymous

@acancello. Not a dumb question at all! I couldn’t figure it out for a while when I first joined XD

To do the green line, when typing for KP, if you see the ” button, you click that when you want text to be next to the green line, and,

type to put words there!!!!

You are very welcome!!!! Glad I could help! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 113 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >