Book Lovers!

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions Book Lovers!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    Allison
    @acancello
      • Total Posts: 838

@esther-c @mineralizedwritings @booksbyjayna @whalekeeper   and everybody who is interested !

I love reading and writing so much and love to talk about it! So I have a few questions for everybody!

1. I am looking for book recommendations (I like action packed and super exciting, also sometimes a bit of romance)
      2. Did any of you publish any books? If so what ones?
      3.  Whats your favorite book series? Mines currently Anne of green gables!

Anyone who has a book they are just longing to chat about, even if they dont think anyone’s read it, stick it in here!

Also feel free to tag anyone who might be interested. I’m not sure who is 😀

• This topic was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Allison.
      Orielle2023
      @orielle21
        • Total Posts: 173

@acancello

Hi. So I’ve been reading Dune by Frank Herbert. It is FASCINATING. I would be curious to know if you or anyone else has read it and what you think of it. There are six books in the series. I don’t know too much about Frank Herbert. I do know there is a movie based on the book (staring Timothée Chamalet did I mention he’s pretty good looking? XD).  I haven’t watched the movie yet but will when I’m done reading the book.

I haven’t published any books but would like to someday. I have plans for a five book series. I have the first one written, started the second one, then got a job, and then got another job, which I now do full time. So, long story short writing had taken the back burner for a while.

Favorite book series? Tolkien’s LOTR trilogy.

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo

Folith-Feolin
        @folith-feolin
          • Total Posts: 310

@acancello

Helooo!

1. One What is your reading maturity level because that is going to change what I recommend I have been reading the First Law series by Joe Abercrombie at the moment. It has been pretty fun, in a way it is basically the antithesis of lord of the rings as in instead of taking a bunch of virtuous and noble characters on a quest to save the world then a grumpy old magician, his incompetent apprentice, a navigator who can’t find his way really anywhere, a stuck up noble, a fugitive from the south, and a barbarian from the north have to go on a quest to possible save the world (also includes numerous subplots). I would say it is really good minus the amount of swearing. (although there is also heavy violence). My brother just finished The Poppy War by R.F Kaung which is apparently one of the best books ever but it is very mature and dark and it is a tragedy (It deals with war, genocide, chemical and biological warfare,  drugs, addiction, totalitarians, cursing).
          2. Not Yet although Im working on a board game and the Kharvian Anthology with my brother
          3. Series wise I’m going to have to say, Brandon Sanderson’s the Stormlight Archive
          Folith-Feolin
          @folith-feolin

@orielle21

I loved Dune it was a great read sadly I only managed to get to book 5 before I ended up getting sidetracked with other things though I’m planning on finishing it one of these days (I will say though It gets really weird in the 4th one)

The movie was really well done I thought (I watched it after reading the first two as I started the series in anticipation of the movie’s release) although it is only the first half of the first book. However Dune part 2 will come out this year so you wont have to wait that long.

Allison
            @acancello

@orielle21

I’ve never read “Dune” yet, but looked it up and might give it a try! That is so cool how your planing a five book series, I just write one than see if anymore can be written off of it.

Also to everybody! Has anyone read all 3 of the little women series? One is “Little Women”, two is “Little men – I loooooved that one soo much! and three is “Jo’s boys.  I know a lot of people have just read little women, and if you liked it I would really encourage you to read the rest!

Allison
              @acancello

@folith-feolin

I’m not a big fan of books with to much cursing in them, I mean a little is OK.

Your making a board game?! Wow! How cool! Whats it about? How do you publish a board game?  😀  Ive never read anything by Brandon Sanderson, but ive heard a lot about him so Ill see if I can find anything by him

Folith-Feolin
                @folith-feolin

@acancello

to publish a board game there are one of three routes either you submit your game to a publisher following their submission process, you use crowdfunding (this is one of the most popular, I mean check out the frosthaven Kickstarter), or if you are an established designer you either are contacted by a publisher in hopes that they can get you to help them with a game or you have an agent that can contact a publisher for you. In the world of hobby gaming (see boardgamegeek.com for more on that) publishing is very similar to that of books or video games.

Yeah, cursing is kind of just the negative side of modern adult high fantasy literature (especially dark fantasy (the better type)) (also by adult I mean in the adult section of the library as opposed to the ya section) it is kind of similar to if you read ya fiction you have to deal with rebellious and defiance of authority themes. I’m a bit desensitized to cursing as a lot of the people at my school like to use colourful language so it doesn’t bother me as much but I still distaste it.

Sanderson is a good option though. However, there are some people like my brother who don’t like him because his strength is not necessarily that he can write the most beautiful masterstrokes of literature and more that he can write good literature fast. (the real problem doesn’t really come about until you start reading a large volume of books from the current tolkiens of the fantasy genre (Martin, Abercrombie, Kaung, Rothfess) and then Sanderson seems to loose some of its lustre.

Orielle2023
                  @orielle21

@folith-feolin

I loved Dune it was a great read

Awesome!!! It’s really the first book in that genre of space/ futuristic science fiction that I have actually enjoyed reading. Definitely keeping me hooked.

(I will say though It gets really weird in the 4th one)

I thought about buying the whole set but maybe I’ll just get them from the library. 😉

The movie was really well done

That is exactly to the T what my brother said. I can’t wait. And we might go see the second one together when it comes out…I think November?

Orielle2023
                    @orielle21

@acancello

I just write one than see if anymore can be written off of it.

Thats a good way to do it. 👍🏻

Has anyone read all 3 of the little women series?

I have all three books and I’m pretty sure I read through the whole second one and parts of the third one. Definitely should refresh my memory on all three. They are all really good. 😀

Folith-Feolin
                      @folith-feolin

@orielle21

If you are going to see Dune in theatres you have to watch it in an Imax theatre (I’ve seen it twice and lets just say it was one of those movies that really is made to be watched in theatres specifically Imax ones)

Orielle2023
                        @orielle21

@folith-feolin

If you are going to see Dune in theatres you have to watch it in an Imax theatre

Thanks for that cuz the closest movie theatre here isn’t an IMAX . 😢

Folith-Feolin
                          @folith-feolin
                            Esther
                            @esther-c
                              • Total Posts: 3205

@acancello

1. Hm… book recommendations… If you haven’t yet, you should read the Wingfeather Saga by Andrew Peterson. It is so good!!! I will say, the first book is slower than the others and more childish, but the second book gets the plot moving faster; the third one gets even more exciting; and the fourth one, oh my word, it is INCREDIBLE!!! I highly recommended it! I also recommend the Christy Miller series by Robin Jones Gunn. It is really good! It follows the high school years of a girl named Christy Miller. It’s mainly romance, but it does talk about how she deals with friends and other things in life. I found Christy so relatable. The series is written by a Christian and it’s super great. I’ve learned a lot from it. I will warn you, because the series was written for young adults (teen girls), it does mention some topics/temptations/issues that high school girls must face. It’s really great though and I highly recommend it for teen girls. Plus, the author also wrote a series about Katie Weldon, Christy’s best friend, during her senior year of college and little after. She also wrote about Christy’s college years as well. (And Christy’s married years and when she had children. I don’t know about the content in those books those, because I haven’t read them.) So yeah, that was my long answer for a book recommendation! XD

2. I have not published any books, but I hope I’ll have my trilogy published somewhere in 2025 or 2026.

3. The Wingfeather Saga. And anything that I’ve read written by Robin Jones Gunn. 🙂

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Light Warrior Pen
                              @light-warrior-pen
                                • Total Posts: 103

@acancello

Ooo, there’s too many options. Some of my personal favorites are:

Redwall by Brian Jacques. Animal fantasy book series with lots of riddles, adventures, and unique characters. Warning: the hares tend to swear.

The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander. About Taran, an Assistant Pig-Keeper, who becomes embroiled in the fight to save the land of Prydain from evil. There’s romance in this one.

Other L.M. Montgomery books that are a must read are the Emily of New Moon trilogy, Pat of Silver Bush and the sequel, Mistress Pat, Jane of Lantern Hill, and A Tangled Web.

Also Pride and Prejudice, The Awakening of Miss Prim by Natalia Sanmartin Fenollera, Peace Like A River by Leif Enger, and ANYTHING by Elizabeth Goudge.

This girl is armed with books, coffee, and writing accoutrements!

Allison
                                @acancello

@esther-c

The Wingfeather saga and the Christy Miller series both sound like great reads! I will defiantly to try find them! ( The reason I keep saying that is cause were moving and cant go to out normal library anymore 🙁 But the great part is that where were going to has a bigger library and more books! 😀 Thats great to have a set year to publish, I tend to get distracted from my WIP and write a whole short story and come back only to have another short story idea…  😀  Any tips to stay focused?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 113 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >