Book Ideas!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Light
    @lightoverdarkness6
      • Total Posts: 1626

So, I’ve got this idea for a novel—actually more than one, and I’m trying to figure out if it sounds good. And y’all feel free to add your ideas too!!
      So my idea is this: There are two siblings, a boy and a girl, and they are orphans. They live at an orphanage that they hate. Then suddenly one day, someone comes to visit them. It’s an aunt that they didn’t know they had. The aunt sees them, and wants to adopt them. Everything is settled, they pack their bags, and go off to live with their aunt. But, she is almost never home, and the school here is almost worse than it was at the orphanage. The younger brother becomes frustrated, and attempts to run away several times. His older sister drags him back every time. We have to get through this together, she says. And one of us can’t do it without the other. He understands and decides that he can be a soldier and get through it as long as he has his sis. But then one day, while their aunt is out shopping, the brother is somehow kidnapped. His sister doesn’t suspect anything, but when their aunt doesn’t come back either, it’s clear that something is wrong.  She goes on a wild journey to find her brother and bring him back safely. Meanwhile, her brother realizes that their parents never died…and that there’s someone after his sister. He is just the bait. Can he warn her…before it’s too late?

So yeah. Y’all don’t hesitate to tell me if you hate it or anything. Any and all critique is welcome! 😊

Alright now tags! @freedomwriter76 @godlyfantasy12 @loopylin @theloonyone @keilah-h @mineralizedwriting @folith-feolin @elishavetpidyon  @koshka @power @anyoneelse

#HugRikerSquad

Light
      @lightoverdarkness6
        MineralizedWritings
        @mineralizedwritings
          • Total Posts: 2803

@lightoverdarkness6

Ok, that sounds really good! Do you know the aunts motives? I understand that knowing that probably comes with time in the story. If your hiding spoilers that’s ok. But I think I could make some better suggestions (if you want them) if I knew why she did that. She obviously wants the kids, but why? If you don’t know, that’s ok.

A couple things I was wondering:

1. How old are the kids? I think the age gap is really important for knowing how this plays out.

2. What has there relationship been like up until know? The sister always drags him back, but did they have any particular bonding moments in the past that could be included in a flashback? Do they bond over their lack of parents, exploring together, or something else?

3.Is this fantasy? Current time? Is there a ruler/king? Or like kinda fantasy but not dragon type?

4. And just a thought… might be interesting if there’s a third sibling, perhaps he/she has already been taken, and one of the two siblings has vague memories of him/her? Do whatever works for your story XP

5. What are your main themes? I know you might not have any yet, but for me themes guide the entire story. I like to keep a list of them, so when I have a new idea I can refer back to my sheet (or mental sheet) and see if I can use it to support a theme. I see that the sibling dynamic will be a theme, but in what way? What is important in their relationship and how does it affect their personal decisions about each other?

Ok, so sorry that was a lot 😂 I could talk about story ideas for a long time. Don’t feel the need to answer all my questions, just things to think about for further development.

へびは かっこいい です!

Light
          @lightoverdarkness6

@mineralizedwritings

Aww thank you so much!! I was kind of worried no one would like it😊.

First of all, great questions!!

So about the aunt situation. I’m thinking that the aunt really does want them and loves them, but she’s single and doesn’t know how to take care of kids-and especially not teens. But since she’s family and guardian to the kids, the kidnappers get her too. Because there’s a big secret about the kid’s family.

1. So I’m thinking the sister is about 15 or 16 and the brother is 12 or 13. I want the sister to be able to drive and take care of herself, so that when she goes out to find her brother, she’ll be capable of protecting him and herself.

2. They’ve always been pretty close, especially after they were put in the orphanage. Probably! I haven’t gotten that far yet though😂. But yeah they are very close. Well they bond together because they have to take care of each other. Oh! I just had an idea of a bonding moment between them. Maybe the little brother was getting bullied and afterwards the sister wipes his tears away and says “Hey, Look at me. You’re okay. We can do this. After all, we’re  all each other has. We’ll get through this. Together.” When they’re maybe 7 and 4. Yeah, I’m gonna do that. Thanks!!

3. I’m thinking current time and fiction. Contemporary fiction I guess. I need to look up what that means again😂. And no, no king.

4. Oh that’s a really cool idea!! I might do that! Thanks!!

5. Finally I know some themes for my book!! XD. So Finding God is a big one. Brother/sister/family relationships is another. Love and loyalty are the others. I might come up with some more, but that’s all for now😊. Hmm what ways are there to use sibling dynamics? Sorry I’m so clueless 🤦🏻‍♀️😂.

No thank you! It helped a lot!! Yes, I’ll be sure to think more on those questions to help develop the story.

#HugRikerSquad

MineralizedWritings
            @mineralizedwritings
              • Total Posts: 2803

@lightoverdarkness6

I often times feel the same when I share story stuff lol. What if people don’t like my story? 🤣

Maybe the little brother was getting bullied and afterwards the sister wipes his tears away and says “Hey, Look at me. You’re okay. We can do this. After all, we’re all each other has. We’ll get through this. Together.”

Awww! I LOVE that.

Oh that’s a really cool idea!! I might do that! Thanks!!

Yeah! 😀

When I said sibling dynamics, I was mostly referring to the common banter that goes on in books with siblings, but with the age gap you have and their relationship perhaps that wouldn’t be a thing in your book. Don’t apologize not knowing lol, perhaps I should have elaborated. Maybe I’m not even sure what I was trying to say 😂🤣

Ig how does there relationship as siblings effect there important decisions later in the book?

Does the aunt know about the secret? Like she’s trying to protect them from something, or she wants to benefit somehow? Is she like a antagonist, protagonist or more of a grey area character? Finding God is a great one! I was going to have god in my book but wasn’t quite sure how to do it. I was going to have a scene of my MC realizing if there isn’t a god, there’s no reason to have beautiful animals like the pigeons he loves, but I wasn’t sure and haven’t included that scene.

I also have a lot of family/sibling themes in my story!

Curious to know where you take this, most series with a plot like that take place in a fantasy kingdom, great to see something different!

I suppose you aren’t sharing the families secret…? That’s ok, but lol I’d love to know 😆

Also super random… but when the little brother runs away, does he have some kind of special place he goes?

へびは かっこいい です!

LoopyLin
              @loopylin
                • Total Posts: 2062

@lightoverdarkness6 That’s a really cool idea! I like it a lot so far. Is it set somewhat in the past or in a different country? I’m asking because orphanages are pretty rare in modern day America and most of the time the foster care system is used instead.

Space Princess ✨🪐 intp artist

Light
                @lightoverdarkness6

@mineralizedwritings

Yeah, that’s how I feel too sometimes. We shouldn’t worry though, no one in KP would say anything bad about our writing. Everyone is so sweet here. 🙂

Awww Thank you!!

Yeah!

Oh okay!! Yeah I don’t think that will be a thing. I mean, they’ll have their arguments and stuff, but overall they’re very close. No, you’re fine!! Thank you for putting up with my ignorance XD.

Well, they love each other very much, so if the kidnappers threaten to kill or hurt her brother if she doesn’t do what they want, she’ll do what they want, even if it is something that would hurt her or someone else.

So, the aunt is like one of my least thought out characters. I’m not sure if she knows or not yet, because whatever I decide could change the story dramatically. And I think she’s a protagonist. Or maybe a grey area character. I’m not sure yet XD. Thank you!! That ‘s cool. I like that scene!! I think it could be a good addition to your story. But only do it if it goes with your story. I know from experience that if you add something that doesn’t really go with the story, it can be hard fixing it.

Cool!!

Yeah, I don’t really want to write it as fantasy, so I’m gonna see how this goes XD. I might change the time period, but I think I’ll keep everything else.

Well, I can share it, but I might do it on the spoiler chat, just in case someone doesn’t want to know.

Ooh, good idea! Yeah he probably does. Maybe up in the woods somewhere, (I think the aunt is going to live in the country, but they still have like 7 neighbors.) by a creek, or a big tree maybe.

Also, I’m gonna post on here some of the names I’m thinking for the brother and sister once I get a list.

@loopylin

Thank you!! I’m thinking maybe the early 1900s? Or maybe there’s like one orphanage left in modern day America but it’s closing, so the staff are trying to find parents, other relatives, or others to adopt or foster all the kids. Yeah, I just googled it and it said that orphanages were done by 1960s. *palm face* Thanks for letting me know!

#HugRikerSquad

LoopyLin
                  @loopylin
                    • Total Posts: 2062

@lightoverdarkness6 Yeah! I like the idea of it being in the early 1900’s. Lots of opportunities for cool outfits and hairstyles 😊

Space Princess ✨🪐 intp artist

Light
                    @lightoverdarkness6

@loopylin

Yeah! Thank you for the suggestions.

#HugRikerSquad

Keilah H.
                      @keilah-h
                        • Total Posts: 3875

@lightoverdarkness6 That actually sounds really cool!! Everyone else has better suggestions than I have for that genre, but I’d totally read the book if you end up writing it.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Light
                        @lightoverdarkness6

@keilah-h

Awww thank you so much!! That makes me feel so good 😊.

#HugRikerSquad

Anonymous
                            • Total Posts: 8156

@lightoverdarkness6. First off, I LOVE the idea! Kind of got a somewhat Mystery kind of feel to it!

Second, love the themes, esp the love and finding God ones! 😀

And third…*busts door down* DID SOMEONE SAY EARLY 1900’s!? XD (Sorry…that’s my Historical Fiction writer coming out! xD)

Anywho…XD

I love the story premise and the sibling relationship dynamic very prominent in the story!

As of right now, I don’t have any questions or suggestions, but if you have any specific questions, on, say, the time period, I’ll try to help to the best of my ability! 😉

Light
                            @lightoverdarkness6

@freedomwriter76

Thank you😊!! Yes, my favorite theme is finding God. *stares at the broken door and then at you standing in the doorway, panting* Ehh that’s okay, I was about to get a new door anyway😂.
                              Yeah, I’m still deciding between early 1900s or just the last orphanage in the early 2000s. I’m kinda afraid I’ll totally not have any idea how to write like it’s in the early 1900s. But if I do decide to do that, I’ll definitely need some of your expert advice😀. Thank you!!

Also, super random, but in any of your books do you have any experience of writing aerial combat?? I’ve got a friend who I’m very fond of, and he wants to be a airplane pilot. So for his birthday, I want to write a short story, (it may turn into a novel😂🤦🏻‍♀️) either about WWI or WWII, (he likes learning about wars) and have some aerial combat as well as ground combat? Sorry, I don’t know what to call it😂.

#HugRikerSquad

Anonymous
                                • Total Posts: 8156

@lightoverdarkness6. You’re Very Welcome! It’s a great theme! Lol, yeah, sorry bout that…XDXDXD

Whatever you decide, I’m sure it will be epic!!! 😀 You’re very welcome!

Also, super random, but in any of your books do you have any experience of writing aerial combat??

Eh…I’m not the best at it, but yes, a little, lol. XD Because I have Ezra, tho he’s a bomber pilot, not a fighter pilot, heh. But yeah, a little bit of experience, yes, but I can’t say it’s the best…heh…xD

I’ve got a friend who I’m very fond of, and he wants to be a airplane pilot. So for his birthday, I want to write a short story, (it may turn into a novel😂🤦🏻‍♀️) either about WWI or WWII, (he likes learning about wars) and have some aerial combat as well as ground combat? Sorry, I don’t know what to call it😂.

OOH, cool! That’s so sweet of you! 😊😊😊 WWII certainly had more aerial combat than WWI. WWI was mostly just ground combat. You’re good, girl! I understand what you mean! 😉

Keilah H.
                                @keilah-h
                                  • Total Posts: 3875

@lightoverdarkness6 You’re welcome!!

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >