Art Sharing For All :)

Home Page Forums Other Art Forms Art Art Sharing For All :)

Viewing 15 posts - 2,116 through 2,130 (of 2,472 total)
  • Author
    HighScribe
    @highscribeofaetherium
      • Total Posts: 2449

@rae

I think youā€™re a bit too hard on yourself, itā€™s pretty good. Realistic drawing is hard. Sure, there are some things that could be fixed, but thatā€™s how we learn, right?

Home is where your massive, overflowing collection of LEGO bricks is.

RAE
      @rae
        • Total Posts: 3554

@mineralizedwritings

I’d take any advice. I’m very much not happy with my art no matter how good people think it is, so anything to help that would be welcomed.

(Btw, I really like your style.)

ā€œGargoyles and thickets, griffins and briskets."

-GRCR-
        @grcr
          • Total Posts: 1142

@highscribeofaetherium

Your map looks really good!! And itā€™s pretty!! šŸ¤©šŸ˜„

Fin knew. Riker knew.
          Fin wasnā€™t afraid. Riker was terrified.

MineralizedWritings
          @mineralizedwritings
            • Total Posts: 2972

@rae

Iā€™d take any advice. Iā€™m very much not happy with my art no matter how good people think it is, so anything to help that would be welcomed.

Oh ok! IXD I’m like that sometimes too.

(Btw, I really like your style.)

Aw thank you!!! šŸ™‚

The main thing I noticed was the way his face is facing. The top of his face is an almost three quarters view, and his nose is a side profile shot. The line that is between his eyebrows is the center of his face. If you bring that line down his face as a guide, you’ll find the other facial features don’t line up too it. If you can find a good system for plotting facial guidelines, all of those things will kind of straighten out.

Something that I do to help me is use the eyes and mouth as a guideline. If you look at yourself, you’ll notice that the corner of your lips line up with the center of your eyes. If your looking straight ahead, you could draw a line down from your pupil to the corner of your mouth. After you’re done drawing, you can check this to see if things are in the right place.

If you look at the mouth of your drawing, it doesn’t reach the center of the eye because it’s facing a different direction. If the center of the lips were aligned with the center between the eyebrows, then the corner would come out to the pupils.

I actually think the lighting is alright! The only thing I would mention is that cheekbones follow a different trajectory than it should, so the cheekbone highlight goes all the way to the side of his nose. Here’s a image I found online that illustrates how it should look. It’s from a different angle than your drawing, but it might help still. The left side of the nose should be shaded to, following into the indent under the eye. This face has a different light source than yours, so some areas on this are highlighted that might be dark on yours. If you can learn how the planes of the face angle though, you can eventually light them in your head without a reference.

His ear is also too skinny, but drawing ears is like a whole craft of it’s own lol, kinda like hands. Ears have a large round section and taper towards the ear lobe.

Males tend to have larger and more defined necks than females too. There’s an angle that people’s necks bend upwards at, and it’s more defined in men.

I found this reference online a year or so ago, and printed it out to keep in my pencil case. I use it a lot lol, and it illustrates this really well.

(Ack! Kp won’t let me do a post with two pics. I’ll post it next)

The shape of his left eye looks really good, I’d only add that usually at that angle you can see a little bit of the tear duct.

Hope that wasn’t too much lol! I’m super passionate about art so rambling like this makes me happy lol. I’d highly recommend learning a face structuring method such as loomis method if you haven’t already. I don’t stick with any particular method, but watching videos about it helped me learn how faces are built. I can draw a lot faster when I use it.

"Than finish it... Because I'm with you till the end of the line." <3

MineralizedWritings
            @mineralizedwritings

Here’s that reference I use.

HighScribe
              @highscribeofaetherium
                • Total Posts: 2449

@grcr

Thanks!! šŸ˜Š

Home is where your massive, overflowing collection of LEGO bricks is.

freedom
                @freed_and_redeemed
                  • Total Posts: 658

Everyone’s art looks so good!!! šŸ’–šŸ’–

And @rae I absolutely love the drawing of Leo you did!! Sorry I never responded; I saw it right before I started taking a break from KP and totally forgot to say anythingšŸ˜… but I do really love it, and tysm for drawing him!! <3

What is strength?
                  Strength, my son, is being who God has called you to be.

whaley
                  @whalekeeper
                    • Total Posts: 3141

@mineralizedwritings

šŸ™‚ sure thing! Your effort really shows!

XD I know what you mean. Part of my drive to draw is to have good stuff to post, or the fact that at school I always want to be in the top 40% of artists in the classroom. I need to be comfortable being lower than that because it doesnā€™t matter but it does really motivate meā€¦

Itā€™s not a bad additional standard if you donā€™t depend on it! For me, a little healthy competition goes a long way. Not always, but once I already have some confidence.

But no I donā€™t have fountain pens for fingers, Iā€™m just really careful and erase/redraw my lineart a lot before itā€™s perfect. And medibang has a stabilizing feature that makes everything smooth and I love it. It might not be ā€˜professionalā€™ but itā€™s creative and sometimes stuff like that captures more emotion. It takes more skill to make digital art look alive, and I think not lining it actually helps a lot.

Gotcha.

Girl maybe I just like moody boys ok?? maybe Iā€™m a little moody rn??

XD no heā€™s not depressed but I see what you mean. I have to emotionally connect with my art in order to enjoy making it. So for instance, I canā€™t enjoy drawing a character smiling unless Iā€™m happy. So yeah I guess Taurenā€™s expression there isnā€™t unlike me šŸ˜…

*Second bombastic side eye of the week* Donā€™t join the Dark Sideā€¦ there is hopeā€¦

Maybe I just smile when Iā€™m depressed, but I draw happy stuff to cheer myself up. Soooo *nudges you* Ā Tauren definitely looks great, but he needs happiness too and this is your responsibility as his artist! I insist, on pain of character kidnapping!!

Btw how are you? I feel like itā€™s been a minute

Thanks for asking! Iā€™m kinda good, kinda bad. Summer is awesome, but Iā€™m not doing everything I wanted to do. And the gap between teenage and adulthood seems so wide lol. My parents also really want me to get private swimming lessons because of my aquaphobia. On the bright side, Iā€™m actually learning a martial art like my seven-year-old self dreamed, so yayy.

ā€œEverything is a mountainā€

MineralizedWritings
                    @mineralizedwritings

@whalekeeper

Yeah… I think it’s healthy for now lol, and it scares me a little that it could become unhealthy. I’ve never not been ‘that art kid’ in the class, and as I get to higher classes being one of the best becomes harder and harder, and of course at some point it’s useless.

*Second bombastic side eye of the week* Donā€™t join the Dark Sideā€¦ there is hopeā€¦

Haha nice try šŸ™„ you’re talking to a girl who’s got a thriller wip about hope being extracted from the universe

XD ok ok, I have gotten the second bombastic side eye of the week. šŸ˜‚ at least I’m honest lol

Maybe I just smile when Iā€™m depressed, but I draw happy stuff to cheer myself up. Soooo *nudges you* Ā Tauren definitely looks great, but he needs happiness too and this is your responsibility as his artist! I insist, on pain of character kidnapping!!

How

I literally couldn’t

I have to be feeling a emotion to channel it into a creative medium, so I can only draw and write sad when I’m sad, and happy when I’m happy, otherwise I won’t enjoy it. I enjoy drawing characters that really express a emotion, even if that emotions is “meh” lol. I have some happy Tauren drawings! Don’t worry! Nono! Don’t take my boi! šŸ˜­šŸ˜­ Lesli and I will fight for him!

Thanks for asking! Iā€™m kinda good, kinda bad. Summer is awesome, but Iā€™m not doing everything I wanted to do. And the gap between teenage and adulthood seems so wide lol. My parents also really want me to get private swimming lessons because of my aquaphobia. On the bright side, Iā€™m actually learning a martial art like my seven-year-old self dreamed, so yayy.

Girl you should go for it! Do those things you want to do during the summer! You’ve still got a long time left. Ack I’m really feeling that rn too. It’s hard for me to come into my own when I’ve grown up in a fairly consistent family. I like a lot of different stuff and I’m having to force myself to express who I am and want to be, bc it’s naturally uncomfortable. I don’t feel like I’ll ever become a confident adult… ugh.

Dude that’s awesome! I’ve always wanted to learn a martial art too! You go girl! <3

RAE
                      @rae
                        • Total Posts: 3554

@mineralizedwritings

Thanks, this helps a lot šŸ™‚

ā€œGargoyles and thickets, griffins and briskets."

The Ducktator
                        @theducktator
                          • Total Posts: 723

I made a mediocre duck drawing. This is Serpentine, one of my villains, and Bob’s ex-wife. Sorry about picture quality. Critique would be welcome.

Communist jokes arenā€™t funny unless everyone gets them.

Keilah H.
                          @keilah-h
                            • Total Posts: 4721

@theducktator not bad!! What do the words up top say?

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

whaley
                            @whalekeeper
                              • Total Posts: 3141

@mineralizedwritings

Yeahā€¦ I think itā€™s healthy for now lol, and it scares me a little that it could become unhealthy. Iā€™ve never not been ā€˜that art kidā€™ in the class, and as I get to higher classes being one of the best becomes harder and harder, and of course at some point itā€™s useless.

Growth comes in phases! You might just be plateaued rn. You may not be known asĀ theĀ art kid, but that’s a social thing and you may surprise yourself by becoming your own “art prodigy” in certain episodes of your life. I feel the most satisfaction from looking at my own art and watching my leaps of skill, even if I don’t share it with others.

Maybe it would help to restrict what you see from others, and spend some time sketching in your own style to appreciate yourself? I try not to scroll through art because it overwhelms me, and I just grab a few references for my own stuff. Idk if that would apply to a class… just something to keep in mind šŸ˜‰

I have to be feeling a emotion to channel it into a creative medium, so I can only draw and write sad when Iā€™m sad, and happy when Iā€™m happy, otherwise I wonā€™t enjoy it. I enjoy drawing characters that really express a emotion, even if that emotions is ā€œmehā€ lol.

Ooh, that’s interesting. I can draw any emotion in my characters, even if I feel differently myself. I just put myself into their shoes and forget my own problems. Maybe this reflects our different coping methods in drawing? Somehow? XD

I have some happy Tauren drawings! Donā€™t worry! Nono! Donā€™t take my boi! šŸ˜­šŸ˜­ Lesli and I will fight for him!

I’ll take Lesli too while I’m at it!

Girl you should go for it! Do those things you want to do during the summer! Youā€™ve still got a long time left. Ack Iā€™m really feeling that rn too. Itā€™s hard for me to come into my own when Iā€™ve grown up in a fairly consistent family. I like a lot of different stuff and Iā€™m having to force myself to express who I am and want to be, bc itā€™s naturally uncomfortable. I donā€™t feel like Iā€™ll ever become a confident adultā€¦ ugh.

You’ll settle into life over time <3 That’s what my mum always says. Remember, even if people around you seem to grow up fast or wantĀ youĀ to grow up fast… It’s not a crime if you slow down. Your destiny isn’t written by the time you reach your twenties.

For me, reaching out to participate in these activities is hard because I’ve never felt the agency to do so. My parents aren’t consistent or planning, mostly because of my mum’s sickness and my brother’s surprise surgeries in the past, so it’s always beenĀ maybe! Go with the flow!

Now I’m incredibly passive when it comes to decision-making. I have ways of expressing myself, but when a new opportunity pops up… eh. I’m also in a class of overachievers, so I might have some of your ‘trauma’ when it comes to falling behind. I just avoid thinking about it.

People often ask me, “are you excited for camp?? The dance?! You can’t wait, right?” …And I realized, I don’t feel excited for anything.Ā I never look forward to things. I know I will like it in the moment, but before? I feel nothing.

*Blows air in cheeks* Yeah, I have to force myself to make decisions. So Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is big for me.

Dude thatā€™s awesome! Iā€™ve always wanted to learn a martial art too! You go girl! <3

Yeah it’s fun!! I’m still learning how to tie my belt and do the basic things XDXD But that’s okay.

ā€œEverything is a mountainā€

MineralizedWritings
                              @mineralizedwritings

@whalekeeper

Growth comes in phases! You might just be plateaued rn. You may not be known asĀ theĀ art kid, but thatā€™s a social thing and you may surprise yourself by becoming your own ā€œart prodigyā€ in certain episodes of your life. I feel the most satisfaction from looking at my own art and watching my leaps of skill, even if I donā€™t share it with others.

Maybe it would help to restrict what you see from others, and spend some time sketching in your own style to appreciate yourself? I try not to scroll through art because it overwhelms me, and I just grab a few references for my own stuff. Idk if that would apply to a classā€¦ just something to keep in mind šŸ˜‰

That’s a good idea. I should just compare my art to my old art. I guess I’m just aware of how far I have to go.

Ooh, thatā€™s interesting. I can draw any emotion in my characters, even if I feel differently myself. I just put myself into their shoes and forget my own problems. Maybe this reflects our different coping methods in drawing? Somehow? XD

Wow, I could never do that lol! My problems actually are there problems too šŸ˜‚

Youā€™ll settle into life over time <3 Thatā€™s what my mum always says. Remember, even if people around you seem to grow up fast or wantĀ youĀ to grow up fastā€¦ Itā€™s not a crime if you slow down. Your destiny isnā€™t written by the time you reach your twenties.

Actually, it’s kind of the opposite for me lol. I feel like my mind is outgrowing my current life, and I’m under stimulated emotionally. My family has this habit of pointing out when you do something new (Oh, you went driving by yourself? Oh, you’re painting your nails? I see you braided your hair.) and I find it so anxiety inducing that I avoid doing new things around them šŸ˜… oh, and new things already induce my anxiety. I don’t think I’m trying to grow up too fast. It feels like it sometimes, but I haven’t got much of a choice either way. There’s a lot of mental instability/illness in my family members and the sooner I’m away from it the sooner I’ll heal. so yeah, I’ll probably move out next year. It would be a lot less nerve racking without my chronic illness, I’m used to getting help with it.

For me, reaching out to participate in these activities is hard because Iā€™ve never felt the agency to do so. My parents arenā€™t consistent or planning, mostly because of my mumā€™s sickness and my brotherā€™s surprise surgeries in the past, so itā€™s always beenĀ maybe! Go with the flow!

I get that. I’ve heard that sometimes when there’s sickness in the family attention is distributed in odd ways out of necessity. My sis and I were both a bit sick growing up, so I don’t think either of us experienced a extreme deficit.

Now Iā€™m incredibly passive when it comes to decision-making. I have ways of expressing myself, but when a new opportunity pops upā€¦ eh. Iā€™m also in a class of overachievers, so I might have some of your ā€˜traumaā€™ when it comes to falling behind. I just avoid thinking about it.

Making decisions is so hard. I’ve been having to bite the bullet recently and decide for myself where I want my life to go. I called and emailed about 4 different apartment complexes about openings, that was pretty new for me. I still fumble my words on the phone sometimes lol. Not sure if this is exactly what you’re saying with the new opportunities, but I often avoid new things to avoid failure, and I’ve realized that I’ll never publish my series if I keep that up. Falling behind is scary, especially when there’s such high expectations in the US. People want to have kids, be married, have hobbies, and a career. Nobody can do it all, and honestly, if you did, could you still be happy?

People often ask me, ā€œare you excited for camp?? The dance?! You canā€™t wait, right?ā€ ā€¦And I realized, I donā€™t feel excited forĀ anything.Ā I never look forward to things. I know I will like it in the moment, but before? I feel nothing.

Yeah, I’m used to the fun things I plan not happening too. Last time I signed up for a rubiks cube competition, I got sick like I often do. So same, I don’t get excited. I get excited for shows and my art because it isn’t leaving anytime soon. Oh, btw, I’ve watched all of the last airbender and it was great! My sis and I are watching episodes together long distance so she can see it too.

*Blows air in cheeks* Yeah, I have to force myself to make decisions. So Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is big for me.

You should be proud. Even if it seems stressful or makes you nervous instead of excited, what’s important is that you’re doing it. And I’m not talking as somebody who has conquered some milestone of decisions lol, I just know making those decisions makes the next ones easier. You don’t have to be excited, it’s more important that you’re doing what you’ve been wanting to do : )

Oh and don’t mind my ranting, I just like to talk about this kind of stuff lol.

Loopy
                                @loopylin
                                  • Total Posts: 2334

@mineralizedwritings @whalekeeper

*stalks you and reads entire conversation out of boredom*

People often ask me, ā€œare you excited for camp?? The dance?! You canā€™t wait, right?ā€ ā€¦And I realized, I donā€™t feel excited for anything. I never look forward to things. I know I will like it in the moment, but before? I feel nothing.

that’s actually a neurodivergent/ autistic trait sometimes. I’m the exact same way. Ā I think it’s because I take longer to process emotions or something. I’m still learning to be okay with it.

Not saying your brain works the same as mine, though, I’m just relating.

Oh, btw, Iā€™ve watched all of the last airbender and it was great! My sis and I are watching episodes together long distance so she can see it too.

Nice! Welcome to the atla club :]

ā€œEveryone wants to save the world, but no one wants to help mom with the dishes.ā€

Viewing 15 posts - 2,116 through 2,130 (of 2,472 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >