Anime Nerd/Chat

Home Page Forums Other Art Forms Film Anime Nerd/Chat

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Trahia the Minstrel
    @trahia-the-minstrel
      • Total Posts: 193

@anatra23

I watched the SAO anime series up to the end of the Gungale arc. My cousin kinda got sick of cutting so much stuff at that point, fair enough😂.

@devastate-lasting

Yeah, my brother loves Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. He says it’s like one of his favourite animes, and perhaps the best anime he’s ever seen. He once found a meme he wholeheartedly agreed with, that went kinda like this—

TOP TEN ANIMES

10. You
      9. Cannot
      8. Rate them
      7. Because
      6. Each is
      5. Special and
      4. Unique in
      3. It’s own
      2. Way
      1. Fullmetal Alchemist
      😂😂😂😂😂

But yeah. I once did a bit of SAO fan art, and I’ve done one from Attack on Titan (watched a YouTube how-to vid). I also put up a fan art pic I did from The Heroic Legend of Arslan on the manga art thread, I think.

By the way, I’ve heard about The Promised Neverland and Your lie in April, but I have no idea what they’re about. Are they good? Suitable? What are their storylines like? (I don’t like anything super dark or gory. I also tend to stay away from super inappropriate animes)

The end of a story, a beautiful picture; a feeling of longing yet hope~
      That’s my wish to create.

Linyang Zhang
      @devastate-lasting
        • Total Posts: 1700

@trahia-the-minstrel Haha, that meme is quite true. I love the author’s works a lot, especially Silver Spoon.

The Promised Neverland has some horror elements (spoiler: it’s basically about a bunch of kids that raised on farms to be eaten by monsters) and it does get gory at times. The manga is much better than the anime. I haven’t watched the anime, but I know that they cut ton of things. It’s not my favorite (but I know a lot of people who love it) but the protagonists are really smart and likeable.

Your lie in April is about music and love and is one of my all time favorites (I need to rewatch it). It’s slice-of-life/romance/drama, and I don’t remember any inappropriate content. (It’s been a very very long time.) As long as you don’t mind sad stuff, should be quite enjoyable.

Lately, it's been on my brain
        Would you mind letting me know
        If hours don't turn into days

Jenna Terese
        @jenwriter17
          • Total Posts: 2522

@calidris
          YES the Haikyuu writers made you care for every team! But Karasuno is my fave, and Hinata my favorite character (but Tanaka and Nishinoya are hilarious too) 🙂

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
          www.jennaterese.com

Kathleen
          @kathleenramm
            • Total Posts: 635

@anatra23

Yo, I’m so glad this topic exists. Anime/ Manga is so fun to discuss.

I’ve only just started watching Anime last year, and my favorite was Erased for awhile, but just last month I watched Promised Neverland and took it it’s place as favorite. The characters are my favorite out of all the anime I watched and the writing was spectacular. I can’t think of anything I would want to change about it, which is extremely rare for me.

But from what @devastate-lasting said the Manga is apparently much better? Like what?! How?! So I guess I know what I want for Christmas now, hehe.

Right now I’m currently watching Demon Slayer. However, I’m only two episodes in so I can’t say too much about it except the first two episodes were pretty great.

@trahia-the-minstrel

I heard so much about Full Metal Alchemist. What made you like it so much?

Linyang Zhang
            @devastate-lasting

@kathleenramm *whispers* They absolutely massacred season 2. And now that you bring up Erased I really want to reread it, ahhh….

Trahia the Minstrel
              @trahia-the-minstrel

@kathleenramm

I think my older sister has watched Erased! As for Fullmetal Alchemist, I haven’t actually watched it or read it, but both my older siblings have, and my brother in particular has told me a bit about it. What made him like it so much? Apparently (this is Brotherhood version I’m talking about) it’s just such a well-done story. There are like 60 episodes and there’s essentially no filler at all, which is quite rare in long animes. Also, my brother likes the physiologically challenging aspect of it, as he enjoys philosophical debates. And apparently the characters are just good, too, and the ending is terrifying, horrifying, tragic, but also so amazing you have to go back and watch it again and again.

He said it’s the Avatar The Last Airbender of anime, essentially.

@devastate-lasting

Have you watched/read the Heroic Legend of Arslan? The artist for the mangas of it is the same person who wrote Fullmetal Alchemist.

Also, have you ever heard of Code Geass? Steins;Gate? Love Live? Or Inuyasha? I have some covers of the music from them that I like, but I have no idea what they’re about.

Linyang Zhang
                @devastate-lasting

@trahia-the-minstrel I’ve heard of Heroic Legend of Arslan but I couldn’t find it at the library, so no, haven’t gotten to it yet. Hiroku Arakawa is working on a new manga recently, though, so I’m excited.

Code Geass was one the first anime series I have watched, and I’ve done both seasons but not the movie. Steins;Gate is one of my more recently watched series. I really like both of them. Love Live and Inuyasha I have heard of but haven’t watched.

Ay, Code Geass is about politics and fighting and secret identities and betrayal and all sorts of stuff, kind of similar to Death Note but quite different as well. Steins;Gate is about time travel and science fiction and greatness and is also superb.

Anatra
                  @anatra23
                    • Total Posts: 211

@trahia-the-minstrel

My friend once asked me what it would take for an anime to top all my others, and become my favorite. I said Avatar the Last Airbender would have to become an anime for that to happen.

Cuz seriously, it’s so beautiful.

@kathleenramm

Lol, I’ve been trying to find some manga. Where do you typically get them? Online is where I’ve only looked, really. But I’m unfamiliar with websites for those things.

Trahia the Minstrel
                    @trahia-the-minstrel

@anatra23

I know, right?! It’s the best. And it has one of the most satisfying endings I’ve ever seen.❤️ Did you know, that because it’s kinda in the anime style anyway, it’s the only anime-style western program the Japanese acknowledge as an anime? Or I’ve heard something like that, anyway.😁

We get our mangas off Book Depository. It’s in England, but it has free postage. You can get all the English Snow White WTRH ones currently released there. They generally don’t take much more than a few weeks to a month to come. They also have other ones, like Laid-back Camp, Royal Tutor, Arslan, etc.

Man, I could go on about Last Airbender for hours. One of my favourite scenes is that one at the end of the desert episode, where Katara hugs Aang, and comforts him until he comes out of the Avatar state. One of the best moments. And the Last Agni-Kai! So good! You know you can get Avatar soundtracks on Apple Music, right?😄

Kathleen
                      @kathleenramm
                        • Total Posts: 635

@devastate-lasting

Yeah, once I heard about the massacre of season 2, I just had to pretend that season one is the only one that exists. It’s so tragic about what they did with the second season. Haven’t watched it, just heard about it. So it’s a good thing that season one is good enough to stand alone. Seriously, you should watch it if you haven’t yet. Hands down my favorite anime (so far that is).

Do you have a favorite character from Promised Neverland?

Ah, Erased… it has such a special place in my heart. My brothers have a strange habit of downplaying the shows they recommend to me to the point where I don’t even want to watch it anymore, so that when I eventually do watch them it blows my expectations out of the water. My three closest siblings and I watched it together in two days, and it was a great two days. We now have so many inside jokes because of it, haha. Good times.

@anatra23

I usually get Manga from Amazon Japan. It’s really helpful because you can search in categories of “Japanese Books” and “English Books” so you can get it in the language you want. However, the shipping cost is really high so I recommend going in with someone and getting a lot of books at once to make it worth the shipping cost. I’ve also heard from Linyang that you can get Manga from Barns & Nobles, but they probably only have it in English. Which should be fine if you aren’t using as part of language study.

Linyang Zhang
                        @devastate-lasting

@kathleenramm It’s been a while since I’ve read it, so honestly I don’t remember. Probably Phil, haha. You?

@anatra23
                          A friend introduced me to Rightstuf Anime that has super cheap manga, only thing is after buying from it you’ll be tempted to buy a ton, because people usually buy in bulk from there.

Not-So-Secret Secret Assassin
                          @not-so-secret-secret-assassin
                            • Total Posts: 133

I don’t like anime. It’s too nerdy for me. I’m not a cringe weeb. I’ve moved on to greater things.

That said, I only like Attack on Titan.

And maybe Full Metal Alchemist.

And To Your Eternity.

And Erased.

And Death Note.

And The Promised Neverland.

And Your Lie In April.

And Hunter X Hunter.

But other than that, there definitely isn’t any anime that I like. Most definitely not.

@anatra23
                            Is Jujustu Kaisen and Violet Evergarden worth checking out? Not that I’m interested or anything. Just making conversation, you know?

@devastate-lasting
                            You like Phil.

@devastate-lasting
                            whatwhat. you didn’t watch the anime for The Promised Neverland. But it’s one the best pieces of cinema in the world. Not that I like it or anything. That’s what other people say.

Flawless and handsome (as ruled by my grandmother.)

Trahia the Minstrel
                            @trahia-the-minstrel

@not-so-secret-secret-assassin

Yes, Violet Evergarden is amazing! It goes quite deep into war trauma and what it would be like if the only thing you’d ever known was the military, and how to learn how to be a feeling, caring human again after only thinking you were a tool. It’s heartbreaking. Made me cry in several places. Has a great soundtrack. Is just so deep in its themes.

But don’t watch the movie Echo in Eternity. It kinda ruined the whole point of the anime series, which is epic.

Have fun!

Linyang Zhang
                              @devastate-lasting

@not-so-secret-secret-assassin *whispers* Based.

I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this before, but I read way more manga than I do watch anime, simply because I don’t have the time for it. And when I do have the time, I watch whatever I want on a whim. For example, finding the entirety of season one of Assassination Classroom was no mistake. I’m going to be spending 8 valuable hours on that now.

And iirc, wasn’t it I who recommended you The Promised Neverland in the first place? Credit is due where credit is due.

Yeah, my sister likes The Promised Neverland more than me. I prefer other things.

Trahia the Minstrel
                                @trahia-the-minstrel

@devastate-lasting

You watch Assassination Classroom? Lol. My brother’s super into that. He says it’s quite inappropriate in humour, though, so I haven’t watched it yet. The next one I’m thinking of watching is Dr. Stone. You ever read or watched that one?

Also, I meant to ask, what’s the content like in Code Geass and Steins;Gate?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >