Anime Nerd/Chat

Home Page Forums Other Art Forms Film Anime Nerd/Chat

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Anatra
    @anatra23
      • Total Posts: 211

Hullo!

@trahia-the-minstrel
      and I were nerding over anime. I love anime, but there were somehow no anime threads. So here’s one for whoever’s into anime/manga.

I haven’t read a lot of manga, but my brother’s gotten me into the anime hole. And, at the moment, I have no intention of climbing out just yet XD

What anime have you all seen?
      Here’s a quick list of some of the ones I’ve watched.
      Violet Evergarden
      Jujutsu Kaisen
      Beyond the Boundary
      Horiyima
      Snow White With the Red Hair

I’ve seen a few more, and am currently in Your Lie in April. Also, anime with good soundtracks will get me hooked immediately.

@calidris
      @devastate-lasting @scripter-of-kingdoms @not-so-secret-secret-assassin @jenwriter17 @that_writer_girl_99 @anyone-else-who-likes-these-things

calidris
      @calidris
        • Total Posts: 109

OOH OOH HAIKIYUU!

That’s the only anime I watch, but it’s soooo good.  The manga is absolutely amazing, too.  I still need to read the first half, but so far it seems like the anime adapted it really, really well!  Hopefully season five comes out soon…

I don’t even like sports and I think it’s fantastic.  It’s definitely a slow burn (S1 is kinda boring because it’s mainly set up), but the characters/character development is just so good, plus the S4 soundtrack is incredible.

I’ve heard that Jujutsu Kaisen and Violet Evergarden are both amazing, and I’ve had Your Lie in April recommended to me as well.

*laughs as one fey*

Linyang Zhang
        @devastate-lasting
          • Total Posts: 1700

@anatra23 Finally, my field of expertise.

I have heard of all of these! I’ve read several volumes of Horimiya and Your lie in April was my first anime. For a complete list of my read and watched anime, you may consult myanimelist here: https://myanimelist.net/profile/xiajiao

Well, lemme just open up my presentation that I bring with me whenever someone mentions anime. My top three favorites, in no particular order:

• 91 Days
          • Zankyou no Terror (has one of my favorite soundstracks)
          • Your lie in April

I have just finished watching Skull-faced Bookseller Honda-san today, which was a fun one. I read more manga than I watch anime, and I’m more into seinen (older male) stuff. My favorite manga series include:

• Monster
          • 20th Century Boys
          • Silver Spoon

And honestly a lot more because I have great taste /j, so most stuff I pick up I tend to like. I know that Attack on Titan and Tokyo Ghoul both have great soundtracks but both are also exceedingly gory which I would not recommend right off the bat. I will gladly talk for hours about the genius of Naoki Urasawa or recommend the most niche stuff I enjoy if anyone is willing to listen. So. Come at me.

Lately, it's been on my brain
          Would you mind letting me know
          If hours don't turn into days

Anatra
          @anatra23

@calidris

Yea, I’ve been hearing a lot about Haikiyu. I also heard the dub(English voice over) is amazing.
            Do you prefer to watch it subbed or dubbed?

@devastate-lasting

Happy to oblige in anime conversation ^-^
            Wow, you’ve seen a lot.
            I enjoyed Your Name quite a bit, and I’ve been suggested Her Blue Sky before. But I don’t recognize many others on your list.

I haven’t heard of Naoki Urasawa.

Mostly, I prefer comedy/slice-of-life and fantasy/adventure anime types. I’m not super familiar with shonen, seinen, josei, or the shojo definitions.

I will totally take recommendations. My list of to-watch is running dry.

calidris
            @calidris

@anatra23 ooh that’s a tough one.  The dub is way funnier than the sub, since it’s super chaotic and really just perfectly captures actual conversations that high school kids might have (so it’s basically dumber lol).  Personally, I prefer the sub because I can’t understand the swearing (haikyuu has some language, but it’s nothing too intense.  The language really gets toned down in S4, and it’s virtually nonexistent in the manga).

Does anyone in here do fanart of their favorite animes/mangas?  I’ve been on a fanart roll lately, so I thought I would ask 🙂

*laughs as one fey*

Linyang Zhang
              @devastate-lasting

@anatra23 Ay, for comedy/slice of life I recommend:

• Barakamon
                • Yotsuba&!
                • Way of the Househusband

And for fantasy/adventure:

• Fullmetal Alchemist (if you’re only going to watch the anime watch the Brotherhood version)
                • The Devil is a Part-Timer!
                • Bungou Stray Dogs

Me, looking over my lists: I could have sworn there was way more I need to go dig out all of my other documents even though I’ve scoured them dry-

Not quite sure of your age range so I’m going to also be trying to play it safe in reccing stuff.

Spy x Family, one of my favorite manga series, is getting an anime adaption pretty soon, so I highly recommend you check that out!

Hhhhh now that I’m back on MAL I keep getting reminded of that one opportunity last year to have a webnovel turned into a manga…definitely going to be taking that opportunity next time.

calidris
                @calidris

@devastate-lasting I have a friend who got into Bungou Stray Dogs recently, and she seems to really like it!

*laughs as one fey*

Linyang Zhang
                  @devastate-lasting

@calidris The fandom is scary as heck but I love the manga art style and the characters and how they portray authors as characters and the worldbuilding and I also have been playing the mobile game for almost two years and–

*cough cough* The fandom is. Very. I don’t like the fandom.

calidris
                    @calidris

@devastate-lasting *side-eyes Haikyuu fandom* yeah I feel that.

*laughs as one fey*

Trahia the Minstrel
                      @trahia-the-minstrel
                        • Total Posts: 193

@anatra23

Yay! You started it!

• I’ve watched Snow White with the Red Hair (my fave)(all of these were subbed except SAO and Arslan, btw😂 I mostly can’t stand dubbed)
                        • The Royal Tutor
                        • The Heroic Legend of Arslan
                        • Toradora!
                        • Sword Art Online (heavily edited to make it PG)
                        • Your Name (favourite anime movie ever!)
                        • Violet Evergarden 
                        • Weathering with You

I’ve also watched Hamtaro, The Legend of Zorro and Anne of Green Gables — all are quite old and I’m not sure they count, as I didn’t watch them in Japanese (I don’t know if Hamtaro has a Japanese sub)

I’ve watched My Neighbor Totoro, Ponyo, Castle in the Sky, Howl’s Moving Castle, Whisper of the Heart, and Arrietty by Studio Ghibli.

If you’re looking for recommendations, @anatra23 , I would recommend The Royal Tutor, it’s mostly okay except for the fact there’s two slightly violent episodes — nothing much worse than what’s in Snow White WTRH — and that the youngest prince in it who’s 14 is a womaniser and a terrible flirt. One of those he thinks he’s the perfect gift to woman sorts. He makes some pretty stupid comments, but they’re quite funny if you’re old enough and mature enough to find that sort of thing funny.

Snow White WTRH hair has 24 manga volumes currently, but only 16 have released in English (17 is scheduled early next year, and the series is still ongoing)

I believe @devastate-lasting recommended Fullmetal Alchemist (Brotherhood or otherwise) above, but I want to warn you what my brother has warned me: apparently it’s quite physiologically disturbing and challenging, and gets way worse and dark than what you imagine at the beginning. And apparently what you think at the beginning is pretty bad. So I’m not saying don’t watch it, I’m just saying be aware of how well you handle dark and challenging concepts. I haven’t dared try it yet, my brother says it’s one of those things where if you watch it, nothing will ever disturb you again by comparison😅.

The Heroic Legend of Arslan has quite a good storyline, but it’s extremely violent, and one of the main side characters is definitely a womaniser. There’s also some weird sorcery stuff, a highly inappropriate outfit from the priestess, and the crusaders are portrayed as the obvious bad guys. If you do watch it, skip episode five, or read an online synopsis of it. Apparently there’s some really nasty violence in that episode.

Yeah, that’s all I’ve got for now. Man it’s so cool this is finally a forum thread!😃

The end of a story, a beautiful picture; a feeling of longing yet hope~
                        That’s my wish to create.

Linyang Zhang
                        @devastate-lasting

@anatra23 Big thanks to @trahia-the-minstrel for putting out content warnings here; about FMAB; it does get pretty dark, actually, but I feel like if you watch Jujutsu Kaisen you can probably watch the bulk of most anime, considering that Jujutsu Kaisen is rated TV-MA here in the US but FMAB is rated TV-14. Common sense media is a good place to check out content warnings and things. (No, I have not watched Jujutsu Kaisen yet. Yes, I have watched and read plenty of dark and disturbing series which have borderline scarred me and FMAB is quite tame compared to those.) Again, yes, I agree it does get quite dark in some episodes, but also, it is perhaps one of the best series I have seen out there. Characters, plot, theme, worldbhilding, all beautifully done. Again, all up to you though!

Jenna Terese
                          @jenwriter17
                            • Total Posts: 2522

ooh awesome an anime thread! 😀 My favorite anime are The Promised Neverland (always makes me cry) and Haikyuu (cinnamon roll characters <3)

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
                            www.jennaterese.com

Anatra
                            @anatra23

@calidris

I did a little Violet Evergarden fan art but I’m not very good. What kind of fan art do you do?

@devastate-lasting
                              @trahia-the-minstrel

Thanks for the suggestions and the heads up.

Yea, JJK is pretty gory at some points. But the art is (thankfully) not too realistic when it comes to those things, and the violence fits the characters so well the story makes it natural. I think its just the ideas of gore that it implies, and the intent of the malicousness in the characters behind it.

Trahia, did you watch the Sword Art Online movie, or tv series?

Linyang Zhang
                              @devastate-lasting

@jenwriter17 I still haven’t read the last volume of The Promised Neverland, ahh…the art is super pretty!

calidris
                                @calidris

@jenwriter17 I’ve heard amazing things about The Promised Neverland, but I think I’m far too sensitive for that one lol.  I love Haikyuu, though! Who’s your favorite character/team?  My favorite characters are Bokuto and Sakusa, and my favorite team is probably Fukurodani or Inarizaki (my real favorite is a spoiler sooo…)

That’s the issue with Haikyuu.  The characters are all so adorable and well developed that you kind of can’t help but root for all of the teams :’)

@anatra23
                                  I do Haikyuu fanart (maybe you’re noticing a pattern here lol)

*laughs as one fey*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >