A Place to share/write whatever we’re working on: Worldbuilding, plot, etc

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions A Place to share/write whatever we’re working on: Worldbuilding, plot, etc

Viewing 15 posts - 2,131 through 2,145 (of 2,157 total)
  • Author
    The Ducktator
    @theducktator
      • Total Posts: 723

@esther-c

Ahh, ok. I can’t wait to meet Hallie’s boy! And I totally forgot Tyler was the one who would die until I read Sara’s comment, and now I’m sad. 😭😭 He’s so nice!

Communist jokes aren’t funny unless everyone gets them.

Esther
      @esther-c
        • Total Posts: 3421

@theducktator

Aww, I know, he’s the best! 🥹

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Esther
        @esther-c
          • Total Posts: 3421

@savannah_grace2009 @theducktator @smiley

Oh yes Sara!! I do that allll the time! I’ve had multiple conversations with real people in my head, those conversations just never happen with those people irl. XD

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Trailblazer
          @trailblazer
            • Total Posts: 648

@esther-c

Oh yes Sara!! I do that allll the time! I’ve had multiple conversations with real people in my head, those conversations just never happen with those people irl. XD

Lol and then I forget what I’ve actually said and what I said in my head!

"Real love is for your good, not for your comfort." -Justin Whitmel Earley

Keilah H.
            @keilah-h
              • Total Posts: 4721

@smiley @esther-c @theducktator

Like seriously I’ll writing the most amazing scene in my head and then wake up and cry because “why isn’t it in the computer???!!” And it drives me insane lol

OH MY SCALES I HAVE A MEME FOR THIS

lol but it happens…..

also @theducktator I love your forum signature.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

whaley
              @whalekeeper
                • Total Posts: 3141

Hey guys, quick hypothetical question. Imagine you are close to someone whom everyone knows is going to die/disappear much earlier than you. They, the person, also know this. But it’s not an actively grieving situation because it’s always been a fact. You are still attracted to them, though. You two have great chemistry.

How would you go about interacting with them? With that fact hanging over your heads?

“Everything is a mountain”

whaley
                @whalekeeper

…I guess nobody saw my post :-\ Maybe tags will help!

@loopylin
                  @mineralizedwritings @freed_and_redeemed @keilah-h @livingwoodchronicles @esther-c @rae @hybridlore @savannah_grace2009 @elishavet-pidyon @theducktator @ellette-giselle @theshadow @linus-smallprint @godlyfantasy12

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by whaley. Reason: Fixed a tag!

whaley
                  @whalekeeper

It’s kind of like a gradual friendship. You don’t realize you’ve been spending so much time with them up till a certain point. Then, “oh shoot, why did I do this to myself…”

MineralizedWritings
                    @mineralizedwritings
                      • Total Posts: 2972

@whalekeeper

I think it depends on the person, their maturity level, and how they grieve.

I know there’s some people who would spend a large amount of the time asking why the universe/god/idk your worldbuilding allows for such terrible things to happen. They could miss out on the times with that person because they are overcome with anger.

Others could be accepting, and decide to experience as much of their life and love as possible before they die. I think it’s possible to be grieving and content at the same time.

I think there’s a difference in reaction to lifetime length and premature death. For instance, if one person is immortal and the other human, and don’t think they would constantly be sad for the human. It’s understood.

However, if the human became sick and had a shortened lifespan, then I think there would be grief, because it could have been better for them. A fixed human lifespan is normal though, they totally new what they were signing up for.

The only reason I could see grief in a lifespan difference (With sickness/premature death not in the equation) is if the one with the shorter life span missed out on a chance to lengthen it.

Idk why, but I’m under the impression that grief comes from knowing things should have been different. If I buy a bird with a 3 year life span, I wouldn’t be as sad if it died in 3 years. If it died in 1 though, I would be. Because I wanted better for it.

I think the interacting would be affected by this too. To me it comes down to why their life is shorter.

"Than finish it... Because I'm with you till the end of the line." <3

RAE
                      @rae
                        • Total Posts: 3554

@whalekeeper

My friend had a similar thing with one of her crush’s. He has a genetic disease that will cause many health problems later on. My friend once told me that she knew she’d never be able to marry him because that disease could pass on to their children. And she knew he would never want another being to have what he does. It tore at her. She also said that right now, he’s absolutely fine. You’d never know. He even plays some sports, I think. But eventually, he probably won’t be able to do anything without a caretaker. She was willing to fill in that role, but she knew things wouldn’t work out. I’ve been friends with her since we were four, I know she wasn’t telling me everything, and I didn’t press for the rest. All I knew was that you say his name and she’d turn red, a smile would come to her face, and you could just tell.

Sadly, she decided she couldn’t do this to herself, because the stress was effecting her mental health. That was a while ago now. I haven’t asked about it because I believe it to still be a soft, hurting spot in her heart, even though there’s another boy she loves now.

I never saw the two together, never even met the fellow, only saw his picture and heard stories about how perfect he was. From what I saw, all I can say to answer your question is, in the front, you act like they are a normal, perfectly healthy person that you have feelings for, but below, you are torn because you know you are hurting yourself, and possibly the other person. You know, no matter how much you can try to make things work, in the end the heartbreak, the sadness, will come.

And if I was in my friend’s shoes, I would feel the same as I have described, except, knowing me, I would have clung on longer, and hurt myself more.

“Gargoyles and thickets, griffins and briskets."

whaley
                        @whalekeeper

@mineralizedwritings

Yahoo, you answered! :]

I hadn’t thought about how an expected lifespan wouldn’t be sad irl, but you have a point. The MC is immortal, so what you said kind of applies. I think the difference here is that he isn’t immortal in the traditional sense, and he has the mental capacity of a human. If I had to describe his immortality, it would be like a time traveler who experiences quick hops in time, or goes into some dormant mode while history happens and only retains 1% of it.

The only reason I could see grief in a lifespan difference (With sickness/premature death not in the equation) is if the one with the shorter life span missed out on a chance to lengthen it.

This is definitely part of it XD The shorter-living character is tied to something material/delicate as their life source. Hypothetically they could last longer, but historically their species isn’t careful with this. And, *ahem* this character is a bit of a dare devil 😛 I think the immortal character would sometimes warn her to chill off and go connect with the earth or something. But she’s a very “in the moment” person which is meant to conflict with the immortal, who is the main character.

Thanks for the input again ;P

whaley
                          @whalekeeper

@rae

This definitely sounds like something that might happen down the road for my fictional relationship. Thanks for sharing; I feel so bad for her 🙁

MineralizedWritings
                            @mineralizedwritings
                              • Total Posts: 2972

@whalekeeper

Of course I answered! I love questions like this one.

OHHH I love this. It’s like this whole tragic maze you’ve thrown your characters into that can only end angsty. totally on board. XD Tell me if you want to share some of the scenes?

Yw!

"Than finish it... Because I'm with you till the end of the line." <3

whaley
                              @whalekeeper

@mineralizedwritings

Tell me if you want to share some of the scenes?

Wow I don’t think anyone’s asked me that XD I appreciate it. I don’t share a lot of my stuff as you know, but sure, I’ll keep you in mind! ❤️

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by whaley.

Loopy
                                @loopylin
                                  • Total Posts: 2334

@whalekeeper I saw the original post, I just didn’t feel like responding at the moment, sorry.

Umm, if you’re asking what I would do, I’d probably be tempted to just emotionally distance myself and then regret it after they’re gone.

But, imma assume Marcel is more brave than me, so he probably wouldn’t do that. He might get more protective of her? Or maybe if she has any life goals/ ambitions, he’d try to help her achieve them? Idk

I’m kinda disagreeing with Min here, and idk if I even believe what im saying, but I think no matter what, even if it is expected, there’s always going yo be some level of grieving over losing someone. It might be quieter or less dramatic though.

Also, I could see him be curious what it’s like living a shorter life and asking about it maybe since he’s immortal.

Anyway, idk what im saying it’s midnight and I need to work tomorrow lol. hope something in all that rambling is helpful.

“Everyone wants to save the world, but no one wants to help mom with the dishes.”

Viewing 15 posts - 2,131 through 2,145 (of 2,157 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >