A Place to share/write whatever we’re working on: Worldbuilding, plot, etc

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions A Place to share/write whatever we’re working on: Worldbuilding, plot, etc

Viewing 15 posts - 1,741 through 1,755 (of 2,108 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 8156

@esther-c I knowwwww…the baby!! 😭

Anonymous
        • Total Posts: 692

I could use brainstorming partners!

Lydia S.
        @lydia-s
          • Total Posts: 399

@freedomwriter76

*sniffles* *sobs* MY LIL BOY. He’s so precious and so BROKEN!!! He needs someone in his life to hug him 😭

And yes *sniffles again* Leon, too.

Anonymous

@sarafini I can help out as much as I can! 😀 <3

@lydia-s
            I knowwwwww 😭😭 he needs all the hugs in the whole wide world 😭💕💕

indeed…they both need hugs 💕💕😭💕💕

Anonymous

@euodia-vision @mineralizedwritings @smiley @lydia-s @godlyfantasy12 @anyone-else-idk-lol-XD

Sooo…since I’ve finished the final edit of my first book, I wanted to share another edited chapter with y’all, along with the original!!!

💕💕💕

Thank y’all for all of your continued support…it means so much <3

ORIGINAL

“This happens too often now.”

Leon nodded.

He’d awoken in the alleyway with the sun setting above him. He’d been out cold for hours.

“Okay…the blood is gone. But this medicine might sting.” Aadelheide warned, giving him a warm smile. Leon smiled back.

She applied the medicine, and stinging pain ensued.

Leon bit down on his lip, hard, to stop the hisses and groans that threatened to escape. “There. All better now.”

Leon smiled. Looked up at her.

Aadelheide bent down to give him a kiss.

Their lips met, just as loud, small footsteps sounded. “Daddy!” “Dada!”

Leon stood, pulling away from his wife’s kiss much sooner than he’d wanted. “Isabel! Albert!” he cried.

His oldest two ran at him, arms outstretched, as Aadelheide cautioned them to be careful.

Leon lifted them both into his arms even though his fresh bruises protested.

He gave each of them a kiss on the forehead.

He set them down and took Elias into his arms.

A tiny thing, only a few months old. Albert was almost two. Isabel was six.

Leon kissed Elias’ forehead.

“I’m going to put the babies to bed and then head home.”

Leon turned to his mother-in-law. “Thank you, Louisa.”

She smiled and took Elias back into her arms. “Anytime, dear. Isabel, Albert, do you want a story?”

“Yes!”

Louisa laughed and smiled.

“I’m going to give you two a few moments of privacy. To…talk.” She whispered, giving Aadelheide a knowing glance. Aadelheide nodded. “Yes. Thank you, Mutti.”

Louisa left with the kids, and Leon turned to face his wife. “What was that…look about?”

Aadelheide smiled faintly. “Leon, you might want to sit down.”

“I’m fine, Aadelheide…did something happen?”

Aadelheide nodded. “…I had to speak with the Gestapo today.”

Fear clutched Leon’s chest.

The Gestapo? The Gestapo was feared throughout Germany, second only to the SS. “What did they want?”

“…For me to divorce you.” Aadelheide replied quietly.

The grip on his heart loosened a little. “We did break the Nuremberg laws…” Leon whispered. Jews and Germans were forbidden from marrying. “They can throw us in hard labor prison just for that.”

“They wanted me to divorce you. And if I did, they promised they wouldn’t come after me.”

Leon nodded. “It would be safer for you.”

“And leave you and our kids? Never.” Aadelheide argued.

“It would keep you safe…and maybe you could help the kids.”

“But that would still leave you.” Aadelheide replied, standing her ground.

“So?”

“Leon Jedediah Wagner, I would never leave you to save myself.”

“But if you can…to stay safe…”

“Leon…” Aadelheide grabbed his arms. His brown eyes met her blue.

“I would never divorce and leave you to save myself. We are one now. And God will protect me and our kids…whatever that looks like. We promised each other, remember?”

Leon nodded. “I remember.”

Aadelheide smiled. Let go of his arms. “We promised each other to stay with each other and never leave each other…” their fingers locked, their foreheads met, and together, they finished the vow, “…’till death do we part.”

~*~

The sounds of laughter, cheers, talk, and arguments all merged together in the air, mixing with the smells of smoke and alcohol.

Riker sat in a chair at a table as Hans, Erich, Kurt, Hilda, and other SS officers chatted, smoked, drank, and played cards.

“Riker, take a drink.” One of the officers offered, his words slurring together.

“Riker doesn’t enjoy drinking much. He is an odd one in many ways.” Hilda mused.

Laughter sounded.

Riker cleared his throat and stood. “I will be right back. I’m going to go get a drink.”

Hans laughed. “Finally, Riker will join us in the celebrations!”

Riker walked away, towards the bar. What was the big problem in him not drinking?

Riker sighed and leaned against the wall close to the bar, waiting for another SS officer to finish ordering.

The officer turned to face Riker. “Are you with Hans?”

“Uhm…yes.” Riker replied. Who was this man?

The officer smiled. “I decided to get a drink before heading over.”

“They have plenty to share.”

The officer laughed. “I’m sure. But I don’t drink.”

“…I don’t either.”

The officer raised an eyebrow. “Really? Well,” he turned to the bartender, “make that two waters then.”

The officer turned to face Riker again. Stuck out his hand. “Fin Müller.”

Riker took his hand. Shook it. “Riker Schind.”

Fin nodded, smiled, and took the two glasses from the bartender. Handed one to Riker, then gave the man a few marks. “Looks like we’ll be the only sober ones at the table then, huh?”

Riker laughed. “Probably so.”

Yelling rose from another table, and Riker almost jumped out of his skin. “Riker…are you alright?” Fin asked.

His gray eyes were soft and caring, so unlike Hans’ and…and…His. “I’m fine. Sorry about that. It just surprised me.”

Fin nodded. “…Alright then.”

Riker followed him back to the table.

“Ah, Fin, welcome!” Hans greeted. Stood. He shook Fin’s hand.

“I couldn’t miss this special occasion, could I?” Fin asked with a smile. Hans laughed. “No, you could not. Have a seat, Fin, would you?”

Fin sat down in the open seat between Hans and Riker. Riker sat back down.

The yelling from another table only got louder.

The smell of alcohol filled Riker’s nose. His hand tightened around his glass. Images threatened to rise.

‘No. Riker don’t go back there. Don’t go back there.’ he reminded himself.

He wouldn’t.

He couldn’t.

“Riker!”

Riker jumped.

Hans was giving him a glare. “Did you hear a word I just said?” His coal eyes shot daggers, and Riker’s heartbeat sped up.

“…No, sir.” His gaze fell.

“Scatterbrained…” Hilda muttered to one of the officer’s wives. She laughed.

“See? He’s never paying attention. He isn’t good at interrogations and won’t handle them the right way.” Hans took a sip of his drink. “Riker is too soft. I have no need of him if he can’t do simple interrogations. Fin, I can transfer him to you. Maybe it will toughen him up.”

Fin coughed.

“…What?”

Hans laughed. “You heard me. I’ll have to fill out the paperwork, but maybe working with you will toughen him up.”

‘A baby…’

‘Nothing but a weakling.’

‘Poor boy’s parents must be ashamed…’

“I guess that’s what we will do then.” Fin replied with a faint smile.

Hans grinned. “Good.”

EDITED

“This happens too often now.”

Leon nodded. He’d awoken in the alleyway with the sun setting above him only to realize he’d been out cold for hours.

“Okay, the blood is gone and I already applied medicine, but I still have to apply a bandage.” Aadelheide whispered, giving him a warm smile. Leon looked up at his wife.

Aadelheide applied a bandage to Leon’s largest head wound. “There. All better now.”

Leon looked up at her, smiling and inviting; Aadelheide bent down to give him a kiss.

Their lips met; small footsteps sounded. “Daddy!” “Dada!”

Leon stood, pulling away from his wife’s kiss much sooner than he’d wanted to. “Isabel! Albert!”

His oldest two ran at him arms outstretched even though Aadelheide cautioned them to be careful. Leon lifted them both into his arms.

He didn’t care that his fresh injuries protested.

He gave each of them a kiss on the forehead and turned to his mother-in-law, who held his youngest. Leon smiled and set both Isabel and Albert down, carefully taking Elias into his arms.

He was a tiny thing, only a few months old. Albert was almost two. Isabel was six. Leon kissed Elias’ forehead.

“I’m going to put the babies to bed and then head home.”

Leon turned to his mother-in-law. “Thank you, Louisa.”

Louisa tucked a strand of her gray hair behind her ear, smiled, and took Elias back into her arms. “Anytime, dear. Isabel, Albert, do you want a story?”

“Yes!”

“I’m going to give you two a few moments of privacy to talk.” Louisa whispered, giving Aadelheide a knowing glance.

Louisa left the room with kids in tow, and Leon turned to face his wife. He rose an eyebrow in question. “What was that look about?”

Aadelheide’s smile wobbled. “Leon, you might want to sit down.”

“I’m fine, Aadelheide. What happened?”

“…I had to speak with the Gestapo today.”

Fear gripped Leon’s chest. The Gestapo? The Gestapo, the Nazis’ own secret police force, was feared throughout Germany. “What did they want?”

“They wanted me to divorce you.”

The grip on his heart loosened slightly. “We did break the Nuremberg laws,” everyone knew Jews and Germans were forbidden from marrying, “and they can throw us in hard labor prison just for that.”

“They wanted me to divorce you. If I did, they promised they wouldn’t come after me.”

“It would be safer for you.”

“And leave you and our kids? Never.” Aadelheide argued.

“It would keep you safe, and maybe you could help the kids.”

“But that would still leave you.” Aadelheide replied, standing her ground.

“So?”

Aadelheide’s eyes sparked with stubbornness. “Leon Jedediah Wagner, I would never leave you to save myself.”

“But if you can stay safe…”

“Leon.” Aadelheide grabbed his arms. He looked down at her, and his brown eyes met her blue.

“I would never divorce and leave you to save myself. We are one now. God will protect me and our kids whatever that looks like. We promised each other, remember?”

Leon nodded. “I remember.”

Aadelheide smiled gently and released his arms. “We promised each other to stay with each other and never leave each other…” their fingers interlocked, their foreheads met, and together, they finished the vow, “…’till death do we part.”

~*~

The sounds of laughter, cheers, chatter, and arguments all merged together in the air only to mixing with the fumes of smoke and alcohol.

Riker sat in a chair at one of the middle tables as Hans, Erich, Kurt, Hilda, and other SS officers chatted, smoked, drank, and played cards.

“Riker, take a drink.” One of the officers offered, his words slurring together, eyes bloodshot.

Hilda chuckled, tapping her manicured fingers on the rim of her glass. “Riker doesn’t enjoy drinking much. He is an odd one in many ways.”

Laughter sounded.

Riker cleared his throat and stood. “I’ll be right back. I’m going to go get a drink.”

Hans rose a glass in good cheer. “Finally, Riker will join us in the celebrations!”

Riker walked towards the bar. What was the big problem in him not drinking?

Riker sighed and leaned against the wall close to the bar, waiting for another SS officer to finish ordering.

He hated bars…he hated alcohol, one hundred percent.

The officer ordering turned to face Riker. “Are you with Hans?”

“…Yessir.”

Why would the man want to know? Was he a friend of Hans’ too?

The officer smiled. “Hans invited me to attend the celebrations, but I decided to get a drink before heading over.”

“They have plenty to share.”

The officer chuckled, and his gray eyes twinkled with amusement. “Oh, I’m sure, but I don’t drink.”

“I don’t either.”

The officer raised an eyebrow. “Really? Well,” he turned to the bartender, “make that two waters then.”

The officer turned to face Riker again, smiled, and stuck out his hand. “Fin Müller.”

Riker took his hand and gently shook it. “Riker Schind.”

Fin smiled and took the two glasses from the bartender, handing one to Riker. Fin gave the bartender a small payment.

Fin faced Riker with a wink. “Looks like we’ll be the only sober ones at the table then, hmm?”

Riker laughed. “Probably so.”

Yelling rose from another table, and Riker almost jumped out of his skin.

“Riker, are you alright?” Fin asked, eyebrows furrowing together in concern.

His gray eyes were soft and caring, so unlike Hans’ and…and-“I’m fine. I’m sorry about that. It just surprised me.”

Fin nodded, but his eyebrows remained furrowed. “Well, alright then.”

Riker followed him back to the table.

“Ah, Fin, welcome!” Hans greeted, standing. He shook Fin’s hand.

“I couldn’t miss this special occasion, could I?” Fin asked with a smile.

Hans laughed. “No, you could not. Have a seat, Fin, would you?”

Fin settled in the open seat between Hans and Riker. Riker sat back down, setting his drink on the table in front of him.

The yelling from another table only got louder, men stood to fight, and a glass bottle shattered.

Fumes of alcohol filled Riker’s nostrils. His hand tightened around his glass of water, and memories threatened to rise.

‘No. Riker don’t go back there. Don’t go back there.’ he reminded himself.

He wouldn’t. He couldn’t.

“Riker!”

Riker almost jumped out of his skin.

Hans’ eyes shot daggers. “Did you hear a word I just said?”

Riker’s heart thudded so hard he felt it in his head. “No, sir.”

“Scatterbrained…” Hilda muttered to Kurt, who chuckled.

Riker felt his cheeks flush slightly.

“See? He’s never paying attention. He isn’t good at interrogations and won’t handle them the right way,” Hans took a sip of his drink. “and Riker is just too soft. I have no need of him if he can’t do simple interrogations. Fin, I can transfer him to you. Maybe it will toughen him up.”

Fin seemed to choke on his water. He cleared his throat and faced Hans again. “What did you just say?”

Hans laughed. “You heard me. I’ll have to fill out the paperwork, but maybe working with you will toughen him up.”

‘A baby…’

‘Nothing but a weakling.’

‘Boy’s poor parents must be ashamed…’

“I guess that’s what we will do then.” Fin replied.

Hans grinned. “Good.”

MineralizedWritings
              @mineralizedwritings
                • Total Posts: 2803

@freedomwriter76

I can tell the second version has a better flow! Nice work!

I actually remember reading the first version of that like a long time ago lol

へびは かっこいい です!

Keilah H.
                @keilah-h
                  • Total Posts: 3875

@freedomwriter76 oh wow

Poor Riker….

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Anonymous

@keilah-h @godlyfantasy12 @koshka @elishavet-pidyon @joy-calle @lydia-s @mineralizedwritings @smiley @janellebelovedpig @anyone-else-idk-lol-XD

So….I just wrote this short story that I’ve had an idea for FOREVER, and…idk if I want to add more even tho it’s short…and it needs to be edited, but I really wanted to share…lemme know what y’all think!!! 💕

Just had this image in my head when my Mom was talking about something, and I just had to write it…here it is

A Debt Paid

Thump.

Thump.

Thump.

My heart pounded in his chest; my wrists ached and even bled as manacles dug into them.

Sweat beaded on my tanned forehead.

Voices rose, some high, some low. Some hard, some soft.

But all carried a tone of knowing what I’d done.

Everyone had seen the evidence.

My innocence was nonexistent.

I could almost see the blood on his hands.

My perpetrator stood only feet away with a cruel face and an even crueler smile. Donned in white, it almost seemed as though he wanted to present himself as an angel.

A gavel slammed down on wood.

Thud.

Thud.

Thud.

“Order in the court. I have reached my decision.”

Guilty…I was guilty on all charges.

Death was the only punishment good for the likes of me.

“…The defendant is found guilty on charges, and he will have to face the death penalty-“

Wooden doors slammed open.

“Let the man go…I will face the punishment.”

He turned his head.

A man, whose face I just couldn’t quite distinguish walked into the room, donned in simple yet elegant attire. The man stepped up close to the judge and turned around to face everyone watching. “I will take the death penalty.”

The perpetrator stepped forward. “No! That man is guilty! He must die, and he shall be mine, your honor!”

“Order! Now, why would you take this man’s death penalty on yourself?”

The man’s kind eyes met my own, and I had to hold my breath; the man turned to face the judge. “If innocent blood is spilled for guilty, then the guilty gets to go free. It is the law of this land.”

I watched him, afraid to believe, afraid to hope that I would somehow be spared. What good did a man like me deserve?

“Your honor, you cannot-!”

The judge silenced my perpetrator with one slam of the gavel. “It is decided. This man will take on the punishment of the guilty.”

I stared, dumbfounded, still too afraid to hope.

The man who I still could not meet the eyes of, the man who was offering to take my death penalty, stepped forward and gently undid the manacles that clamped my wrists.

His gentle fingers rested under my chin; he tilted my head up, and our eyes met.

His kind eyes sparkled with…was that love? His soft hands rested on my cheeks, and his eyes filled with…tears. “Your debt is paid, child. It is finished.”

Anonymous

I decided to change it to first person towards the middle of writing…please excuse a bit of grammar issues 🤦‍♀️

hybridlore
                      @hybridlore
                        • Total Posts: 1359

@freedomwriter76

I really like it!

There is always light behind the clouds.
                        - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

MineralizedWritings
                        @mineralizedwritings
                          • Total Posts: 2803

@freedomwriter76

Oh I love the short story!!

へびは かっこいい です!

Keilah H.
                          @keilah-h
                            • Total Posts: 3875

@freedomwriter76 nice!!

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Esther
                            @esther-c
                              • Total Posts: 3221

@freedomwriter76 @spinner4him @hybridlore @keilah-h @smiley @mineralizedwritings @euodia-vision @anyone-else-because-I-probably-missed-a-ton-of-people-XD

Here are chapters three and four of the second book in my trilogy, with the working title Through the Forge. For those of you who know who he is, this is when Adrian is first introduced 😏

(Fyi, this is first draft material, so I’m aware that it needs some editing. XD)

(Oh and for a little background, there was just a raid on the resistance headquarters that the group was staying at. Ev and Ami got separated from the rest of the group).

Ami closed her eyes, expecting the worst as her arms were yanked behind her. The soldier fumbled with the handcuffs on his belt. Ami knew it was useless to struggle. They had been captured and as of now there was no way out.

Ev was mad, Ami could tell. She partially hoped he would do something rash and impulsive, but the sensible part of her hoped he wouldn’t because it would probably only make things worse.

Suddenly, the soldier trying to handcuff Ami cried out and collapsed to the ground. Ami hopped back and saw a blur of black and green. The soldier holding Ev down jumped up to defend himself, but with a few quick moves, their rescuer knocked him out too.

The young man stood there, barely even out of breath. Ev and Ami exchanged glances. The young man in front of them wore a black leather jacket over a bright forest green shirt, with gray jeans and worn black high tops.

He flashed them a bright smile, revealing his perfectly straight teeth. “Well… you guys good?” His beach blond hair ruffled in the slight breeze.

Ev narrowed his eyes. To prevent the awkward moment from continuing, Ami smiled. “Thanks. We, uh, really appreciate it.” She smiled and tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear.

“Anytime,” he replied with a wink. He walked a few steps closer. “My name’s Adrian.”

Ev held out his hand and gave Adrian a firm handshake. “I’m Everton.”

Ami didn’t introduce herself right away. She was focused on Adrian’s eyes. Not in a weird way though. She had seen those silver-blues somewhere before. But where?

Ev cleared his throat, bringing Ami back to the present. “Oh, sorry.” She smiled again. “I’m Amidala.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you both,” said Adrian. “Did you guys escape from the raid on the resistance headquarters?”

Ev’s brow furrowed. “Yes…” he replied slowly. “How’d you know?”

“I have connections with someone who is part of the resistance. I was just on my way down there for a meeting with the general. Looks like that will be put on hold for a little bit though.” He rested his hands on his hips and let out a soft chuckle.

Ev nodded and pursed his lips. “So are you part of the resistance?”

“Not quite. I’ve been doing my own thing for a while. But I’m looking to join.”

“Hm… How can we trust you?”

“How can I trust you?”

Ev smirked. “Touché.” His eyes narrowed. “But I’m still wondering why you saved us.”

“Someone saves your life and your suspicious of him?”

Ev shrugged and nodded. “Does seem kind of random. Definitely suspicious.”

Adrian rolled his eyes. “Listen. I get it. I wouldn’t trust me either. But if you give me a chance, I think I can help you guys out. I know this forest well. And I get you anywhere in Aletheia. Illegally maybe, but I could still get you there.”

Ami and Ev exchanged glances.

“I’ll give you guys a moment to talk it over,” Adrian said, backing up a few paces.

Ev led Ami a little ways away.

“Nope. I don’t trust him.”

“Ev, you haven’t even given him a chance.”

“Yes, I have. And I don’t trust him. We’ll be fine on our own.”

“Not necessarily. We could do with some more help. Why are you so against him?”

“Because I don’t trust him.”

Ami sighed. “But why?”

“Well…” Ev ran a hand through his hair. “You heard what he said. ‘I wouldn’t trust me either.’”

Ami crossed her arms. “Seriously?”

“Ok well…” It seemed Ev was searching for another excuse. “I don’t like the way he looks at you,” he finally blurted out.

Ami furrowed his brow. “What?”

“Yeah.” He nodded firmly, acting like he had planned that all along. “And I saw the way you stared at him.”

“Ev.” Ami laughed. “Are you jealous?”

He frowned and crossed his arms. “No.”

“There’s nothing to be jealous about, Ev.”

“I just don’t trust him.”

“I was watching him because his eyes look so familiar… Like I’ve seen them somewhere before.”

Ev raised his eyebrows. “Say what?”

“I just mean that I swear I’ve seen him before. I just don’t know where.”

Ev shoved his hands into his pockets and kicked at the dirt.

Ami put her hands on his shoulders. “Just give him a chance, okay? He could be sincere and actually be a great help.” She caught his gaze.

Ev sighed and smirked. “You know, I really hate when you give me that look.”

Ami smiled, then turned and walked over to Adrian. “We’re in.”

“Great! So where do you guys need to go?”

Ami had to admit, she did agree a little bit with Ev. It did seem random for Adrian to suddenly come out of nowhere. But she felt like he could be trusted. It was the same feeling she had had when Bayron Len told her to find the cure, handed her the necklace, and told her to give it to him. And so far, she was right.

“I think we need to find the rest of our group first,” Ami said, already praying that her family would stay safe. “There’s a certain place we’re supposed to meet up if we ever get separated. I just can’t remember where it was…”

“I do,” Ev said, stepping forward. “We should get moving now so that we can cover as much ground as possible before dark.” He started leading the way deeper into the forest.

Ami couldn’t help but notice that Ev seemed uptight about something. Probably Adrian. And as he and Ami walked behind Ev, he kept casting nonchalant glances behind him.

“So, how’d you guys come to join the resistance?” Adrian asked.

“Well,” Ami started. Ev came to halt and held out a hand. He put a finger to his lips, silencing Ami, and looked around.

“What is it?” Adrian whispered.

After a moment of silence, Ev began walking again. “I thought I heard someone.”

“Anyway, as I was saying,” Ami continued. “We joined the resistance because—”

“Because of reasons that we’d like to keep to ourselves for now,” Ev interrupted, not even looking behind him.

Ami frowned and slowly sucked in a breath through her nose.

“It’s alright,” Adrian said with an easygoing smile. “I get it. You don’t have to give away information that you don’t want to.”

Ami gave him a quick, forced smile. At least Adrian understood. In the times they were in, it was hard to trust people easily.

Ami racked her brain for some way to fill the awkward silence, but nothing came to her. Best leave it as it was instead of make things worse.

After an hour or so of walking, they finally stopped by a small creek. “We can rest here for now,” Ev said. “When you’re ready we’ll keep moving. We’re almost there.”

Ami crouched down by the creek’s edge, plunging her hands into the water, then cupping them and bringing the cold water to her lips. She took a few sips, then noticed that Ev was still standing, looking around.

She dried off her hands on her pants and walked over to him. “Hey.”

“Hey…”

“There’s something bothering you. Is it Adrian?”

Ev ran a hand through his hair.

Ami sighed and nudged him in the shoulder. “Go get a drink. You need to rest for a bit.”

“I’m fine.”

“No, you aren’t.”

“Ami, I’m fine,” he said, looking sharply at her.

She set her jaw. “Ev… relax. You’re stressing out.”

He closed his eyes and slowly took a deep breath. After a moment, he gave her a small smile. “How’d you know?”

Ami smiled back. “Because I can read you like an open book. Now I mean it. Go rest for a bit and then we’ll keep moving.”

Chapter 4

Ev crouched down by the creek’s edge and stared at his wobbly reflection in the water. It seemed that it reflected how he really felt on the inside… unstable and unsure. Sure, he put on a confident facade when anyone else was around, but he had lain awake at night just wondering about his purpose. He always tried so hard to hold it together and make himself look good, but there were times when he just really wanted to tell someone how he was feeling.

But he couldn’t. He wouldn’t. He could figure things out on his own. Just like now. All he was focused on was getting Ami safely back to her family and finding his own. To be honest, Adrian wasn’t making it any easier. He seemed to be the one who was really holding it all together. That fact bothered Ev more than he liked to admit.

After taking a quick drink and splashing some water on his face, Ev hopped up and joined Ami and Adrian.

“You guys ready to keep moving?” He asked. “We’ll be able to make it to the meeting place by nightfall.”

“Sounds good,” Adrian replied. “Lead the way.”

Ev started out, going ever deeper into the forest. Ami sidled up to him and whispered, “You good now?”

Ev faced her and smirked. “What are you, my mom?”

Ami didn’t look sure if she should laugh or not. Ev sucked in a breath and bit his lip. His mom did love him, they had just been distant for so long. Ev and Malyk’s broken relationship seemed to affect more than just the two of them.

“It’s okay, Ami.” He offered her a soft smile.

She smiled back and nodded.

After an hour longer of walking, the sun had almost completely set. Ev came to a stop and looked around. “I think we’re supposed to go this way,” Ev said, pointing to the right.

“Wait,” Adrian said. “We shouldn’t go that way. It’s dangerous. There’s too many sinkholes. It would be better to take a left and avoid them.”

“But this is the way we’ve been told to go.”

“When was the last time you went this way?”

Ev bit the inside of his cheek. “I don’t know,” he mumbled. “I guess not for a while.”

Adrian raised his eyebrows and looked at Ev. “Exactly. Over the past two weeks or so, Len has been drilling in that area. But, it started to create sinkholes, or possible sinkholes. Plus a pipe leaked, which only makes the possibility of a sinkhole worse. It’s not safe.”

Ev furrowed his brow. “Why was Len drilling?”

“He was— don’t change the subject.” Adrian tilted his head and rested his hands on hips. “We need to go left.”

“Right.”

“Left.”

“Right.”

“Guys!” Ami interrupted. “Quit fighting like little kids. We’ll just avoid the area by going left. It will take longer but that’s okay.” She cast a stern glance towards Ev.

“I’m going right. We have to make it to the shelter by nightfall unless it will be even less safe for us. We’ll be fine.”

The two stared at him.

“Guys, I’m serious. If we’re out here at night, we could be caught by soldiers.” And I won’t let Adrian be right, Ev added on in his mind.

Adrian let out a sigh and shook his head. “Fine. We can go that way, but don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

Ev turned and started leading the way. The sunlight was quickly fading, so he moved fast. He was also partially hoping that if he moved fast enough, they may lose Adrian. Ok, maybe that was a little harsh. He did save their lives.

“Is there any way to spot a sinkhole?” Ev called out behind him.

“Well, if you look at the—”

His sentence by Ev letting out a cry. He felt his feet slip out from underneath him and heard Ami cry out. He threw out his arms, looking for something stable. His hands slid down a sandy wall, scratching his palms.

At the bottom, his foot buckled beneath him, slamming into a rock. Ev cried out and reached for his ankle at the sudden pain. Ami tumbled down behind him, knocking his face first into the dirt beneath. She clambered off of him and helped lift him up. He grinded his teeth together and slowly sat up, wiping the dirt off his face.

“Are you okay?” Ami asked.

“Yeah, I’m fine. What happened?”

“I think you found a sinkhole,” Adrian said from above, the smirk clear in his voice. When Ev didn’t reply, he cleared his throat. “I’ll have to get you out of there.”

“Oh yes, that’s a genius idea,” Ev said, rolling his eyes. He looked around the sinkhole. It was probably twenty feet wide and at least thirty feet wide.

He tried to stand up, but the tiniest amount of pressure that he put on his ankle, made him wince in pain.

“Are you guys okay down there?” Adrian asked.

“Yeah, we’re good,” Ev yelled back. He gently touched his ankle which was quickly swelling.

“Ok, I’ll start looking for a way to get you out.”

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Ami asked quietly, eyeing his ankle.

Ev nodded and drew his hands away. “Yeah, I’m good. I’ll just walk it off.” He tried to stand up again, but collapsed immediately.

Without asking, Ami gently took of Ev’s shoe and examined his ankle. With every touch, Ev pressed his eyes closed and bit the inside of his cheek so hard that he drew blood.

“I think you twisted your ankle,” Ami said, her brow furrowed. “Let’s just hope it’s not broken.”

Ev forced a chuckle. “You’re cute when you’re worried.”

The corner of her mouth twitched in almost a smile, but she ignored his comment. She cupped her hands around her mouth and started to call out, “Adri—”

“Sshh,” Ev said, cutting her off. “You can’t tell him I’m hurt. I said we’re fine, so we’re fine.”

Ami shook her head. “You just don’t want to admit that you’re wrong. Ev, you made a mistake, but that’s okay. What’s more important is that we get out of here. And if you’re hurt, then Adrian needs to know.”

Ev pressed his lips together and ran a hand through his hair.

“Adrian!” Ami called out. “Ev twisted his ankle. It’s… really bad.”

Adrian appeared at the edge of the sinkhole. “Well, I guess that does complicate things. It’s okay though. We’ll figure something out.”

Ev looked down at his ankle again. The pain kept throbbing and throbbing. He pressed his eyes closed and tried to ignore it.

“Does it hurt?”

Ev met Ami’s eyes. “Yeah… a lot.”

Ami squeezed his shoulder. “It’s okay. We’ll get you out of here and then figure that out.”

Night was slowly creeping upon them. The last rays of the sun peeked through the trees, giving them a little bit of light. After what seemed like forever waiting, Adrian appeared at the edge of the sinkhole again. “Okay. I think I’ve figured something out.” He lowered down a wide log which had ropes tied on either end.  “Sit on this and I’ll try to hoist you up.”

With Ami’s help, Ev situated himself on the log. “Okay, I’m ready,” he called.

Surprisingly, Adrian was able to easily pull him up at a steady pace for a little bit, but soon, his movements became lurching and strained.

“Adrian, I don’t think this is going to work,” Ev yelled.

“It will work,” Adrian assured through clenched teeth as he pulled harder on the rope. “I pro—”

The log was suddenly dropped and Ev went sliding down the edge of the sinkhole. As soon as he got to the bottom, Adrian slid into him.

Adrian scooted out of the way, avoiding their accusatory glares. He finally looked up and forced a sheepish grin. “I slipped.”

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Trailblazer
                              @trailblazer
                                • Total Posts: 606

@freedomwriter76

[quote quote=158685] The man who I still could not meet the eyes of, the man who was offering to take my death penalty, stepped forward and gently undid the manacles that clamped my wrists. His gentle fingers rested under my chin; he tilted my head up, and our eyes met. His kind eyes sparkled with…was that love? His soft hands rested on my cheeks, and his eyes filled with…tears. “Your debt is paid, child. It is finished.”[/quote]

Aw I love this short story so much! I almost wanted to cry. I’ve written a few things like this, too.

@esther-c
                                That’s really good! I missed the first parts of your story but just from what I’ve read here, it sounds interesting!

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Trailblazer.

"Real love is for your good, not for your comfort." -Justin Whitmel Earley

Sara
                                @savannah_grace2009
                                  • Total Posts: 1995

Hi guys!

mind if I join the party, lol?

Lukas&Livia
                                  #Lalbert
                                  Sef&Chase
                                  #HOTTOLINE
                                  LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Viewing 15 posts - 1,741 through 1,755 (of 2,108 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >