A Dog in the Kingdom of Pen

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions A Dog in the Kingdom of Pen

• This topic has 204 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Joy.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 205 total)
  • Author
    MNValentine
    @mnvalentine
      • Total Posts: 123

@warrenluther04 Cool 🙂 I don’t think I’ve ever known a dog who could catch a squirrel anyway…

Silence! Silence everyone, for the king's speech!

WarrenLuther04
      @warrenluther04
        • Total Posts: 270

@daeus Thanks!

@mnvalentine
        Okay. 🙂 Oh…you’d be surprised…. 😀 😀 😀 *barks* My dog (in real life) almost caught a squirrel once, she was so close we had to call her to save the squirrel. But don’t worry, I won’t bite you. 🙂

Kapeefer 'Till We're Old and Grey!
        ENFJ-T ... I think (haven't taken the quiz in awhile)

Anonymous
          • Total Posts: 115

@warrenluther04

Of course! Could I be a Jedi? I have a blue lightsaber, wear boots constantly, have shoulder-length frizzy/curly/depends-on-the-day hair, have gray-blue eyes, wears glasses, and wears a navy blue baseball cap with a big red block “C”. Also constantly has a journal and pen or is crocheting.

Rochellaine
          @rochellaine
            • Total Posts: 3322

@mnvalentine @warrenluther04 Our cat killed a squirrel about a week ago…

(I feel like I’m Alice talking to the creatures in Wonderland about Dinah. 😀 )

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

WarrenLuther04
            @warrenluther04

@allison-grace *adds you to character notes* Sure! You will definitely be in Part 2 because…I am almost done with Part 1! In fact, I will hopefully be posting it today/tonight!

@rochellaine
              AAAAAHHHHHHHHAAAAAHHHHAAAHHHH!!! :O :O :O How could your dog??? Squirrels are for chasing and befriending, not killing! *howls in anguish*

WarrenLuther04
              @warrenluther04

I am proud to present:

A Dog in the Kingdom of Pen

Part 1: Into the Kingdom of Pen

Warren Luther blinked, staring at the computer screen. He tapped a few keys, and the computer flashed as pixels were transformed into the words “WarrenLuther04.” His password and “tag” soon appeared on the “Account Information” page of kingdompen.org. Warren slid the mouse across the foam mouse pad, following the cursor on its trek to the “Insert Image” button. When he clicked it, a window opened up, displaying years’ worth of pixelated memories: pictures.. Having selected one of his pet golden retriever (Goldie, the best dog on Earth), he clicked it and it became his Kingdom Pen profile.He scrolled up, making sure all of the required slots were filled out. Satisfied with what would be his profile on the awesome Christian writing website, Warren took a breath and clicked “Create Account.” As soon as his finger pressed the left-side button of his mouse, the computer flared abnormally bright and Warren began to fall into the computer. Warm gold light surrounded him, and he passed out.

A tickling sensation at his feet awoke Warren. He was lying on a beach full of white sand, with pristine blue seawater lapping against his back paws and tail.He stood on all four of his feet shakily, shaking the sand and salt out of his gold fur. Only then did he yelp a high-pitched bark, startling the surrounding birds into  flight.

“AAH!” Warren yipped. “I’m a dog! Wait?! How? Where am I?” he paused, testing the air with his elongated nose and staring down at his snout, puzzled. “And how can I speak English?” He shook his head back and forth, experimenting with the feeling of his golden-furred ears flapping against his head. Warren tried to take a step forward, then sneezed as sand tickled the pads of his paws. He regained his footing and looked up … and gasped.

The Kingdom of Pen was incredible. He was standing on the beach of the central island, surrounded by pristine white sand. The cerulean sky was lit by, oddly, a raspberry-shaped sun, although Warren couldn’t tell why. He guessed that God had a sense of humor and decided that his Kingdom of Pen would have a yellow raspberry sun. He loped toward the end of the beach, limping slightly as sand irritated his paw pads. Once he got onto the grass, he slumped to the ground and began to lick the sand out of his feet. He was just finishing with his back-left paw when a shadow obscured the raspberry sun.

“Hello there!” a Voice said. “Welcome to the Kingdom of Pen!” Warren swiveled his head around … and leapt back. A growl started to form low in his throat and his hackles raised as he beheld the newcomer. The owner of the Voice was a tall, light-brown wolf with a cat’s tail, which oddly was standing on both of her back legs, wearing humanoid clothes, and had glowing green eyes. All in all, it was quite an impressive, although somewhat frightening, sight to behold.

“Who…who are you?” Warren stutter-barked. “And why are you a bipedal wolf with a cat’s tail and glowing green eyes that’s wearing human clothes???” The wolf smiled a wolf-y smile and stood up to her full height.

“Sorry about the appearance,” she apologized. “It’s part of the troubles of being a Chasm Beast. I’m S. F. Dekreel, by the way. Call me Dekreel!” Warren sat back on his haunches, taken aback. A Chasm Beast? He had never heard of a Chasm Beast before…. However, this bipedal wolf was rather nice….

“Hello,” Warren yipped tentatively. “I’m Warren Luther.” He reached up his right paw, and Dekreel reached down to shake it. “So, you’re a Kingdom Penner too?” Dekreel laughed a wolf-y laugh at the mention of “Kingdom Penner.”

“The proper term is ‘KaPeeFer,’” she corrected. “Actually, there are KeePers and KaPeeFers. KeePers are Kingdom Penners, and KaPeeFers are Kingdom Pen Fans. Most of us here are both, though.” Dekreel turned suddenly to look at the raspberry sun. As Warren stood and looked after her, he saw a golden…something floating towards them. No. Not floating, per se, but more like…flying?
                As he stepped forward, a large golden dragon dipped down towards them and alighted in front of Dekreel. Warren paused for a moment, sniffing the air around the dragon tentatively.

“Hi!” the dragon announced. Warren jumped back at the comment, surprised. So this dragon was a KaPeeFer??? There were dragon KaPeeFers?

“Uhh, hello…?” he replied, his tail wagging slowly. As he sniffed, he didn’t sense any hostility emanating from the large, golden-scaled dragon. “Are you a KaPeeFer too?” He stepped back a paw length warily as the golden dragon laughed heartily, a narrow stream of smoke trickling out of her nostrils.

“Yes!” the dragon boomed. “I’m Dragon-Snapper, commonly known as Snapper, also known as D. G. Snapper. You’re new to the Kingdom?” Warren slowly walked forwards until he was up in front of Snapper.

“Yes,” he replied. “I had just met Dekreel when you arrived.” Snapper nodded her scaled head slowly.

“Well, then we must get you to the Wiser,” Snapper answered. “But first, let’s get you to some other KaPeeFers! Oh, and by the way, I generally melt chairs, if any are around. So you will most likely have a stool in your new home.”

“Oh, that’s fine,” Warren said. “I don’t really need a stool anyways.”

Soon after, a multitude of KaPeeFers had come down to the beach and greeted him warmly. So far, he had at least seen a centaur, a girl with flying origami birds, a Dragonrider with an orange-yellow dragon the size of a large table, and a large light-purple giraffe. Kingdom Pen was amazing, and everyone was kind and welcoming. However, the oddest welcome he recieved was from a man with a brown-grey beard.

“Greetings, Warren Luther,” Josiah DeGrande the Wiser had said. “Do you write a specific genre?” Warren had gulped and looked up at the Wiser, who radiated wisdom like the raspberry sun radiated gold light.

“Well, I guess I write fantasy,” he had replied. “Although I have written realistic fiction before.” The Wiser had nodded, and as he did Warren noticed that the Wiser oddly carried a green frog on his shoulder.

Warren pushed open the door to his new home in the Kingdom of Pen. He had been kind of taken aback by it in the beginning. It had a doggy-door-size door with a knob and a keyhole, but was a regular-sized house. There were windows at perfect golden-retriever eye level, and green curtains covered the windows. Inside, there was a plump bed on the floor, next to which was a pile of books. There was a desk with paper and a pencil lying on it, and at the back was a fireplace. All in all, it was quite a cozy home.

As he padded inside, a grin materialized in the center of the floor. Warren paused where he was and put his nose low to the floor, growling. He had never seen a grin materialize before, except for the Cheshire Cat in Alice in Wonderland. His hackles raised as a cat’s head formed behind the grin, and as the cat’s full body appeared Warren realized that this cat had wings! As the winged cat flew down to the floor, Warren took in her appearance. The cat appeared to be a black-furred tabby, with pitch-black feathers. She had gold eyes, and Warren guessed that her wingspan was about four feet. As she landed, she purred and walked up to him. He sniffed the air tentatively, but couldn’t sense any animosity coming from the winged cat.

“Who are you?” Warren asked. The cat grinned a cat-grin, and the tip of her tail disappeared for a moment.

“I am Catwing,” Catwing replied. “You’re Warren Luther, correct? Hmm…you’re a dog. At least you’re not a snake. Or a spider. If you were a spider I’d eat you.” Warren lowered his hackles as he looked Catwing up and down.

“Yes, I’m Warren,” he said. “Catwings are real? And why can you teleport?” Catwing snorted and hopped into the air, flapping her wings.

“Well, then, hello,” the catwing answered. “Yes, catwings are real. Just like Chasm Beasts, centaurs, and talking squirrels are real. Although, Sheriff Rochellaine would probably disagree.” At this, Catwing’s fur stood on end and she hissed. “But yes, we are real. And I can’t teleport. I can travel from Here to There. I am half Cheshire, half Catwing, after all.” And with that, Catwing grinned, fading from Here and moving to There.

Starring:

@warrenluther04

@dekreel

@dragon-snapper

@alia

@seekjustice

@sam-kowal

@kaya-young

@aratrea

@catwing

With References To:

@dekreel

@alia

@mnvalentine

@rochellaine

Tags: @daeus @kate-flournoy @allison-grace @jenwriter17 @ariel-ashira @supermonkey42 @filewriterbase13x @that_writer_girl_99 @ingridrd @everyone-else-that-I-forgot-to-tag

WarrenLuther04
                @warrenluther04

Oh, and @notawriter . Sorry… 😅😀

filewriter@base13x
                  @filewriterbase13x
                    • Total Posts: 110

@warrenluther04, yay! Thank you for my pet. OK, he’s a boy. And his name is… Ezekiel, but I call him Ezi. Is that OK? Oh, and I just realized that I didn’t give you a fiscal description. I’m sure that that will come in handy. OK, you already know what I am wearing. I have dark brown eyes and long brown hair that goes past my knees.

Currently writing the Hostanica Files with the assistance of B-bot, my PAIA (Personal AI Assistant.)

WarrenLuther04
                    @warrenluther04

@rochellaine Whoops…you have a cat. Not a dog. 😅😀

@filewriterbase13x
                      No problem. After all, it is technically you! 🙂 Thanks! Oh, and would you prefer a name other than FileWriter or do you just want to go by that?

MNValentine
                      @mnvalentine
                        • Total Posts: 123

@warrenluther04 Great job 🙂 I can tell this is going to be cool 😀

@rochellaine
                        Well cats can kill squirrels for sure… Our cat can catch anything she decides to. Even hummingbirds 🙁

Silence! Silence everyone, for the king's speech!

WarrenLuther04
                        @warrenluther04

@mnvalentine Thanks! 😀 I certainly hope so…. 🙂

NOOO! Not hummingbirds!!! @catwing Why do cats like to kill hummingbirds???? It’s like squirrels: they are for chasing and befriending, but not killing!

Okay. Rant over. 🙂

Rochellaine
                          @rochellaine

@warrenluther It would appear that I have become the official KP sheriff! 😀  I find this very funny, because when I described myself to @dekreel I told her I was likely to call the police if something went wrong, not be the police!  But it seems to work pretty well.

If I had had anything to say about it, the cat would certainly not have killed the squirrel – but only because she didn’t eat it and instead left a huge squirrel-corpse lying in the middle of the sidewalk, totally startling me when I almost stepped on it. 😀

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

WarrenLuther04
                            @warrenluther04

@rochellaine Yes, you have. 🙂 Either way works. Do you have any changes you want to be made to your character? I’m planning on giving some of the people that were mentioned a bigger role in the next parts, so I though I should probably double-check with you. 😀

Yes, but sadly some cats do not listen to humans or talking golden retrievers…. Honestly, I don’t know which of those two is more disgusting: eating the squirrel or leaving the squirrel-corpse. 😐 😀

Rochellaine
                              @rochellaine

@warrenluther04 Well, I’ll try my best to explain:

Most importantly, I believe in magic, and believe that all magic is evil, so that there is no such thing as “good magic.”  So, if you’re planning to have that in the story I’d rather you just leave me out of it. 🙂  Mythical humanoid creatures from real-world myths, such as trolls, elves, dwarves, and fairies, all of which use magic, I would not companionize.  It’ll probably just be easier to keep me in the sections of the story where Dekreel and Catwing style (completely imaginative) creatures show up.  Dragons and unicorns and other completely animal creatures are fine, and I actually believe that dragons, at least,  are real, so that’s an interesting twist and could cause debates between creatures like Dekreel and dragons.

Basically, I don’t like to make a joke of anything that has been considered evil in the past.  One example to show you what I mean is that as you know, trolls come from Norse cultures, but the word “troll” actually is translated to mean “demon” or “werewolf.”  I feel it’s the same as the vampire craze that seems to pervade our culture lately.

Okay, that’s all I can come up with right now, and I see it’s already very complicated.  I want you to know I will not be at all offended if you decide to leave me out of your story.  I don’t want to make extra trouble for you, and being in the story is not as important to me as having my conscience good, and letting you have fun.

If you have any more questions I’ll be happy to answer them.  Again, no offense to anyone who believes differently.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

WarrenLuther04
                                @warrenluther04

@rochellaine Okay, I remember you telling me about this a while back. I don’t think I’m planning on having magic, unless I leave bits of Wonder wandering around the Kingdom. (cameos from @catwing’s Catwing Christmas.) Ohh…that’s why you almost disbelief-ed the troll-thing! :O Okay, that’s why you hang out with Snapper. Thanks!

I’m fine with adding these, the character is based off of you so I wanted to keep it accurate. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 205 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >