@whalekeeper
Active 1 day, 14 hours ago- Rank: Chosen One
- Total Posts: 6041
-
Loopy replied to the topic NICE PARENTS CLUB in the forum Characters 3 years, 5 months ago
Not losing any friendship here. I love people who want to talk about important things like this and who aren’t afraid say what they think is true. Please keep reading your dialogues and bringing up great topics to discuss.
-
Felicity replied to the topic NICE PARENTS CLUB in the forum Characters 3 years, 5 months ago
Thank you, thank you for coming out and being brave enough to speak about your beliefs. This is a good thing, and you were very respectful and gracious. I personally agree with you and I really appreciate the way you talked about emotion and drama. This is so true.
I have always been hesitant to write about abusive parents/broken…[Read more]
-
Folith-Feolin replied to the topic NICE PARENTS CLUB in the forum Characters 3 years, 5 months ago
Don’t stop, conversations like this are fun!
-
Folith-Feolin replied to the topic NICE PARENTS CLUB in the forum Characters 3 years, 5 months ago
@starshiness I’m pretty sure you are right. One interesting thing is that there is no overarching rating board for books like there is for movies or video games. Instead books are placed into the sections that they are by publishers, libraries, and bookstores. When trying to decide where to place a book (either the children’s, you…[Read more]
-
Starshiness replied to the topic NICE PARENTS CLUB in the forum Characters 3 years, 5 months ago
Hmm well now you’ve got me thinkin… I wonder if one reason parents are left out of storylines so much is because the idea of instruction coming from someone older and wiser–really, the concept of authority–is something that’s trying to be excluded. People may not know that this is what they’re doing but, like @whalekeeper said initially, it…[Read more]
-
Starshiness replied to the topic NICE PARENTS CLUB in the forum Characters 3 years, 5 months ago
@whalekeeper Ooo bravo, that is a great observation!! It truly is sad that many books today will normalize leaving parents out of the picture or only include the ones that are abusive/the cause of charries’ trauma 🤦🏽♀️. Love the conversation here tho and reading all of y’alls perspectives on the issue!!
I hate to say it, but my two main WIPs…[Read more]
-
Keilah H. replied to the topic Fantasy/Modern School AU RP in the forum General Writing Discussions 3 years, 5 months ago
Omega/Beta
“Come on! Let’s go to the cafeteria, or the library, or, or – let’s explore!” Thorn grabbed onto both of them and practically pulled them forward.
“Library it is, then!” Omega told her as they started moving.
“I’m looking forward to it.” Beta followed. “I bet they’ve got some awesome books.”
-
Loopy replied to the topic NICE PARENTS CLUB in the forum Characters 3 years, 5 months ago
I totally agree! There’s nothing wrong with writing the occasional bad or deceased parent of course, but it seems like every book I read (and even more so with tv shows) has a bunch of characters with parent issues.
Have you read the article on here called “Navigating Family Stereotypes”? It talks about this a bit and has some reall…[Read more]
-
Faith replied to the topic NICE PARENTS CLUB in the forum Characters 3 years, 5 months ago
Excellent point!
I’d just like to point out the parents in my story now.
So my MC, Arwen has both her mother and her father, both of which are very good parents. She’s especially close to her father. Now, while her parents are not dead, Arwen’s father, Ruben, does go missing for a couple years. So idk if that counts or doesn’t, but…[Read more]
-
Esther replied to the topic NICE PARENTS CLUB in the forum Characters 3 years, 5 months ago
@whalekeeper @elishavet-pidyon @koshka @godlyfantasy12 @smiley @freedomwriter76
That’s a really good point!!
It’s actually one thing that I was really excited to write about in my trilogy. The fact that Ami’s parents love her, support her, and are her role models.
She has a great relationship with her mother, and she looks to her father as so…[Read more]
-
Ava Murbarger (Solfyre) replied to the topic NICE PARENTS CLUB in the forum Characters 3 years, 5 months ago
Great topic idea, btw!!! 😃
Okay, yes, so I’ve definitely noticed this in a lot of books. I do have this one book where there are a lot of parents like that, but it’s ’cause they’re all stuck up royals…. and it’s the kids too, so yeah. 😅
Anyway, yes! We definitely need more good parents!
While he doesn’t come into the story until…[Read more]
-
GodlyFantasy12 replied to the topic Fantasy/Modern School AU RP in the forum General Writing Discussions 3 years, 5 months ago
@freedomwriter76 hey so is Riker gonna ask Iris to the dance?
bruh I’m legit now imagining The three guys being wingmen for each other and hiding out in obvious places while their friends asks their significant other out XD XD XD
@smiley @keilah-h @freedomwriter76 @esther-c @whalekeeper @euodia-vision @princessachronicle22 @…[Read more]
-
GodlyFantasy12 replied to the topic Fantasy/Modern School AU RP in the forum General Writing Discussions 3 years, 5 months ago
@whalekeeper do u want to RO as Marcel and Cal before I RP As pax? Or should I go ahead?
Arabella
Ara smiled understandingly at Ami, feeling bad for the girl and her predicament, whatever it might be.
“Speaking of that, have you two been asked to the dance yet?”
Ara slowly closed her journal, pulling her knees to…[Read more]
-
Otherworldly Historian replied to the topic NICE PARENTS CLUB in the forum Characters 3 years, 5 months ago
You kind of just mentioned one of the main reasons I generally dislike the YA genre (no offence to the majority of you guys who wright YA stuff. I do like some YA stuff its just there has been a majority of YA stuff that I have not found as good because I feel like the genre is too teenagery (I guess that could be a descriptor to…[Read more]
-
GodlyFantasy12 replied to the topic NICE PARENTS CLUB in the forum Characters 3 years, 5 months ago
@whalekeeper glad u made this forum!!! And…ah…I know u didn’t call any names but I still feel like I need to…apologize for some reason….???
I feel like I fall into that pit…a lot…it’s a struggle…but thanks for pointing it out…and I’ve been struggling with some stuff personally with some things so uhh…
But yea I apologize for anything….
Anyway!…[Read more]
-
Keilah H. replied to the topic Fantasy/Modern School AU RP in the forum General Writing Discussions 3 years, 5 months ago
@whalekeeper I’m good with that!! Occasionally I’ll take a break too, like when I have a trip to go on or something.
-
Koshka replied to the topic NICE PARENTS CLUB in the forum Characters 3 years, 5 months ago
*Standing ovation*
I also have noticed this…thing going on, even though I’m not on KP much anymore. It has popped up in much of the literature I’ve seen too, so maybe that’s another reason I mainly stick to classics.
Also, can we write about parents who love their children and their spouse? I mean, divorce does happen a lot in r…[Read more]
-
Jaybird replied to the topic NICE PARENTS CLUB in the forum Characters 3 years, 5 months ago
Ahhhhh nice parents!!!!!
I’ve noticed this too, and it is a little disturbing. It’s not that we shouldn’t address abuse etc. in our writing – we should – but we need to be careful about what we portray as normal. The words we write are powerful.
Also, that note on character flaws is Soo true and pretty much a personal writing…[Read more]
-
Esther replied to the topic Fantasy/Modern School AU RP in the forum General Writing Discussions 3 years, 5 months ago
Oh yeah, I gotcha. 😉
(I should probably take some time to do some good studying this week. Final exams are next week. 😬)
-
GodlyFantasy12 replied to the topic A Place to share/write whatever we’re working on: Worldbuilding, plot, etc in the forum General Writing Discussions 3 years, 5 months ago
@freedomwriter76 @loopylin @esther-c @euodia-vision @kyronthearcanin @whalekeeper @keilah-h @gwyndalf-the-wise @princesachronicle22 @mineralizedwritings
HEYOO!!
so…..I wrote some today…
And…as I was writing…something took a bit of a turn and I was like HEH!!! Ok angst time XD
so, I couldn’t figure out totally what I wanted to do for th…[Read more]
- Load More
