@spradlin
Active 8 years, 6 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 189
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic It's Just a Little Poem in the forum Poetry Critiques 10 years, 11 months ago
Thanks @Daeus! Hm… I’m not sure what I could add to that line. Any suggestions?
Glad you like it, Hope! I see what you’re saying, definitely, but about the sword, ‘Sharpness’ was supposed to slant rhyme with ‘Darkness’. Any suggestions to get around this?
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic It Began Long Ago… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
Alright…but I was only 8. I don’t have the exact words of the story, but this is pretty much it.
Hope and Joy went to the park. A dog ran at them. An angel came and scared the dog away.
The End -
Hope Ann replied to the topic It's Just a Little Poem in the forum Poetry Critiques 10 years, 11 months ago
I love it…I somehow missed seeing it the first time around. I do have one suggestion, though it’s more personal option on wording and not on the flow.
The shield is shattered,
The bow is not bent,
And the sword has now lost
All its sharpness.I love the first line, but I think second line would be more powerful if it said something about…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Help Wanted: Brainstorming! in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 11 months ago
Small pen guns are cool. And I always love the concealed weapons in sleeves and such. Hmm, there could be things that look like perfume except if it’s inhaled it will put the enemy to sleep. There can also be cameras on buttons or pens in a person’s pocket. Or there can be other tiny cameras planted around (or even trackers planted on the…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy posted an update 10 years, 11 months ago
@daniel-leinad-thompson-2-2-2 hey Daniel you said on the Very Sill—*choke* SERIOUS Writing show that if we had a poem we wanted read we could send it to you on any of the various contact… apparatuses, I think was the word? This is the only one available to me. I have a poem to submit. It’s a limerick. I wrote it a long time ago. Remember…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Help Wanted: Brainstorming! in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 11 months ago
Um… maybe some sort of infrared vision goggles? Something like the Navy Seals have (at least I think it’s the Navy Seals)— the goggles that detect body heat and send back images through walls based solely on the heat they’re picking up. That could be cool.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic It's Just a Little Poem in the forum Poetry Critiques 10 years, 11 months ago
Thanks, @sarah-h! I’ll post the revised version and see if I got all the kinks out.
The Coming Dawn
Long we have stood
In the shadow and mist;
Deep is the darkness
Around us.
Black is the night,
And hard is the road,
And cruel are the foes
That surround us.
Hard is our fate,
And bitter our lot,
And cold is the night
And the darkness.
The…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Favorites? in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
Yes! Me too! It’s almost become an unspoken contest to see who can read books like that the most dramatically. 😀
The only problem is, when everybody else starts laughing, you start laughing, and then you can’t keep reading! -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic It Began Long Ago… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
@rolena-hatfield— your first attempt sounds actually much better than mine. It actually sounds like it would work out— like it would actually hold someone’s interest fairly well. Good for you!
@wordfitlyspoken: a family of dandelions and wild daisies, huh? Sounds… um… creative! 😛
I know exactly what you mean by ‘write the story you want…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Sword fighting in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
I’m reviving this topic so I don’t have to make a new one.
And I have a question. A while back I looked up a lot of basic tutorials on all sorts of bladed weapons, just to get a few tips and such, and I noticed that a lot of the dagger techniques are very similar to wrestling techniques.
Does anyone here know anything about that? Or anything…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic It Began Long Ago… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
That… is totally adorable. And I completely know what it is to idolize your first works as something incredible, something that will change lives and draw people to the light… and then you go back and read them a few years later and you’re just like… ‘what was I thinking?’
But hey! It had to start somewhere.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Favorites? in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
Frog and Toad.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic It Began Long Ago… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
@Daeus… a talking donkey that appointed the pope to be archbishop of Canterbury. Hm. Well, you certainly went after the creative part, didn’t you? 😀
And YES. It is frightening, when I go back to my first ‘novel’ and read it, to find that it is practically a clone of Henty style and Henty plot. *pout* It’s not funny in the least. -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Why do you write? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
@the-happy-bookaholic— the em dashes are done using three little dashes— 1- 2- 3-. They will look separate when you type them, but when you hit the dangerous ‘submit’ they will fuse and make those lovely little lines.
Also…at least I would have had corrected people.
Did you mean ‘At least I would have corrected people’?
-
Kate Flournoy started the topic It Began Long Ago… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
We all have that story tucked somewhere away in our memory, even if we destroyed it as soon as we got serious about writing. It’s a sad fact of life. The things you want most to forget stick with you the longest.
Your first story, guys. How did it all start? It’s time to ‘fess up.
I’ll go first, since it’s only fair. My first story was written…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Reconciliation in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
You’re right. It is. I just need to remember that. Hm. Easier said than done.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Reconciliation in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
Don’t give up! The end will come…
… in one way or another.
😛
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Why do you write? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
@writefury— yes! Absolutely! The people inside my head are too awesome to ignore. 😀
@Hope— I also write because I have difficulty finding the kind of stuff I want to read. What better solution?
@the-happy-bookaholic— thought you’d like to know, Sarah, that knowing you’re on this forum has more than once made me triple proofread my posts…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Why do you write? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
Don’t know…it’s very inconvenient at times but I can’t help it. 😉 But I’ve too many stories in my head to ignore. And I also want to write inspiring fiction for young Christian adults…books like the ones I looked for and couldn’t find when I was younger.
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Social Media in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
I just created a facebook account today for writing. You can see it here. Anyway, I was wondering who on here has facebook. And I had a few questions: 1. Is there a way you can see how many people are following you? 2. And is there a way that you can link a blog to facebook so when you post on your blog it will appear on facebook too?
- Load More
