Reconciliation

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Hannah C
    @hannah-c
      • Total Posts: 362

We’ve all read stories where two people were at odds but were reconciled over a death or some sort of tragedy. So what is a way to do this without using the usual cliche avenues?

HC

Amanda Fischer
      @wordfitlyspoken
        • Total Posts: 79

Oooh, good question. I’d like to know others’ opinions, too. 🙂

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy
          • Total Posts: 3976

Hm. What if there wasn’t a death or tragedy, but the two people were thrown together on a desperate mission for… something, and they have to learn to work together or else?
          I’ll give you an example. This is actually a very timely topic, because I’m approaching a reconciliation in my WIP, and I can use IT instead of having to think up one to use as an example!
          So.
          We have two brothers, right? One is a king, the other is… duh… the king’s brother. They cannot stand each other, okay? The king thinks his brother is childish and immature, the brother thinks the king is heartless and cruel in a lot of ways. They both have a little bit of justice on their different sides.
          Anyway.
          If they’re going to win this war that they’re fighting, they have to learn to work together, especially since the villains (also brothers) can practically read each others minds.
          But that didn’t really draw them closer like it should have.
          So.
          In the end, it all comes right when the troops reject the king in favor of his brother, because the brother is, shall we say, more glamorous of a leader. But he has no clue what he’s doing, and he knows it. He didn’t want that to happen. He didn’t intentionally steal their hearts, and he’s terrified when he discovers they want him to lead them. He knows he can’t do it. And he knows he’s going to have to if he can’t convince the men to return to his brother. So he goes out, in front of everyone, and kneels to his brother and swears allegiance to him unconditionally, offering his sword and himself to serve the king in whatever way he possibly can. And though that didn’t do the trick immediately, it was the beginning.
          So, all that to say, maybe it doesn’t have to start out with either party particularly seeking reconciliation. Maybe they even hate the idea of it inwardly. But they’re forced into it, and they come to realize it’s better to be reconciled and humbled than it is to be constantly at odds and proud.

And I hope you guys appreciate the spoiler I just gave you. I would only do it for fellow writers. 😉

Hannah C
          @hannah-c

@Kate good idea! Love that spoiler by the way, it makes me wish I had your book to read right now. 😀

HC

Kate Flournoy
            @kate-flournoy

Eh… it’s still a Mess in Progress.

Amanda Fischer
              @wordfitlyspoken
                • Total Posts: 79

XD A mess in progress, I love it. SO TRUE.

I may have to steal that term…

Hannah C
                @hannah-c

Do not speak to me of messes, in progress or otherwise. I am slowly slogging through my mess and I have yet to reach the messiest part which I am dreading.

HC

Kate Flournoy
                  @kate-flournoy

Don’t give up! The end will come…

… in one way or another.

😛

Hannah C
                    @hannah-c

Sounsd ominous…..

HC

Daeus
                      @daeus
                        • Total Posts: 4238

Eh… it’s still a Mess in Progress

Nnoooooo! Don’t say that! I’m sure it can’t be that. I hope it isn’t. Say rather it is a sculpture not yet fully chiseled.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                        @kate-flournoy

You’re right. It is. I just need to remember that. Hm. Easier said than done.

Daeus
                          @daeus
                            • Total Posts: 4238

I like to think of my novel as a masterpiece … if it take me a decade!

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          >