@spradlin
Active 8 years, 6 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 189
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
@kate-flournoy – What do you think of this as a starting?
A single light glowed from a window and cast strange and ghostly shapes on the empty street outside. The constant flickering of the candle light displayed that the person in the room moved about regularly. The footsteps were muffled by a thick rug that warmed the floor. Robes swayed back…[Read more] -
BlueJay replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Alright! England here I come. *fingers crossed* Hope it works. 😛
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Hey, that’s a really fun story idea! *applauds* Go for it— I’m behind you all the way. 😀
Yes, I like making up little chill-inducing lines like that. You might say it’s a hobby. 😉
So glad I was able to help!
-
Kate Flournoy and
BlueJay are now friends 10 years, 9 months ago -
BlueJay replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
@kate-flournoy – Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
This is one other story idea I have that I haven’t been able to get to work. (have you heard of the nursery rhyme ‘Little Jack Horner?’)
Little Jack Horner was a real boy and lived in the Abbey of Glastonbury during the reign of Henry VIII. The abbot sent the deed of the abbey to the king concealed…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Oh, and as for suggestions, how about this?
Write a medieval story from the perspective of a highly unpopular king’s poison-checker.
Write a western from the perspective of the villain’s pet horned toad who lives in the pocket of his master’s vest.
Write a futuristic story from the perspective of the security cameras all over the city— better…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Actually @bluejay, my problem is not being unable to think of story ideas, but just the opposite! I see story ideas everywhere— in faces, in old buildings, in trees, in clouds, in poems, in blobs of paint stuck on a canvas. As @Daeus said, I
let my brain particles loose to search the universe for any possibilities and then have them come back…
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
@daeus – Grrrrr. My mind must be very lazy. I never think of anything worth writing. I have found a book called ‘A Step in the Write Direction, 999+ ideas for creative writing.’ by Sandra Lynn. It is quite helpful, but right know I really don’t know what to write about. Arrrrggghhhh!!! Any suggestions are welcome… 😀
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Oooo! You are so luckly. I hit writer’s block all the time. Sometimes I hear something and I think “that’s such a great story idea” and start writing and then get stuck. 😛 I hate it when I do that. Do you have any suggests on how to come up with idea for stories too? That is one of the things I struggle with the most. I like your suggestion. I…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
I don’t. Seriously, I don’t. At least not majorly. There have been times when I was having difficulty remembering why I had found a particular scene so inspiring and exciting, but never actually have I had a bad case of real writer’s block.
Sometimes when I’m having difficulty with inspiration, though, I’ll switch to a different project for a…[Read more]
-
BlueJay started the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
What do you do when you hit writer’s block?
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Anna's Savanna by BlueJay in the forum Short Story Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
I love that part too. I think my favourite line bit though is:
Another two, rifles at the ready, watched the water for crocodiles. I wondered if that would make my mum feel better or worse. -
Hope Ann replied to the topic Anna's Savanna by BlueJay in the forum Short Story Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
“What’s wrong?” she asked.
“Nothing,” replied Dad.
I still don’t understand why people say that when there really is something wrong. It’s one of life’s great mysteries.Loved this! 😉
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic When Do You Write? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
I write in bits as I get time. Normally an hour or so throughout the morning and another hour or two in the afternoon. I like getting everything done before evening so I can relax and read then; but sometimes I write after supper too.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic When Do You Write? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
I do 7pm to 10pm on weekdays, and all day Saturday since Saturday is seldom very busy for us as a family. 🙂
-
BlueJay replied to the topic I need help with a line in my story in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
Yeah! Not sure what my family would say but why not? 😉 Oh wait, I have a theatrical production coming up next week and as I’m the lead role, I’d better stay put. *Sad sigh* (Can you post photos on the forum, if yes, you should post some of lovely white fluffy snow.) 😀
I do hope, though, to travel to America one day. My brother went to Texas and…[Read more] -
BlueJay replied to the topic Anna's Savanna by BlueJay in the forum Short Story Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
Good point!
-
BlueJay replied to the topic I need help with a line in my story in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
Oops. That n should have been ‘in’. Grrrrrrr
-
BlueJay replied to the topic I need help with a line in my story in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
@ivyrose – You have snow!?! You are so lucky. We didn’t get any snow last year and I looooooove playing n snow. Can I come an visit you??? 😛
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Anna's Savanna by BlueJay in the forum Short Story Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
Oh! Okay, yes, that’s hilarious! Maybe just insert a little explanation like that into the story, otherwise it totally goes over the reader’s head. 🙂
- Load More
