@spradlin
Active 8 years, 6 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 189
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Series Title in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 8 months ago
Here’s a quick idea—don’t know if it has any merit, but it struck me all of a sudden.
Legends of Light.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Series Title in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 8 months ago
Hm… I’ll have to think on that one. 😛 I’ll let you know if I come up with anything especially brilliant. 😉
-
Hope Ann started the topic Series Title in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 8 months ago
I am writing a series of nine novellas; they are all retellings of fairy tales, but with an allegorical twist, each one portraying one of the Fruits of the Spirit (with a larger allegorical thread of the coming and sacrifice of the one true Prince running through all nine stories). Anyway, I’m trying to come up with a good title and was wondering…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Kindle Publishing in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Another question…if no one answers here I might start a topic. 😉 Anyway, does anyone know how to publish an ebook which isn’t on kindle? By that I mean, how does one link their book directly from a website so others can download it for kindle, nook, etc. I’m trying to figure this out so I can have it on my website and then price match so it…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic A Good Bet (Short Story) in the forum Short Story Critiques 10 years, 8 months ago
Hey, @writefury! Sorry, I didn’t notice you’d posted or I would have gotten back to you sooner. 😛
I love this story— everything about it. The casually western feel, the quiet vividness of the MC… and the emotional hook with Owen Morgan. All the characters were well done, the dialogue was fantastic, and the last line was perfect. Tied it all…[Read more] -
Hope Ann replied to the topic Favorites? in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Thanks, @kate-flournoy. 😉
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Favorites? in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Oh— and another new favorite.
Rose of Prophecy, by @Hope Schmidt. 😀
Seriously. Which says a lot for her, because when someone reads a book specifically to pick holes in it (I beta read it for her) they generally can’t get over the mistakes. 😛
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic The Best Book Ever in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
I love some of the descriptions used in the prophets; Joel 2:2 is one of my favorite examples (and the only one I could think of at the moment):
A day of darkness and of gloominess, a day of clouds and of thick darkness, as the morning spread upon the mountains: a great people and a strong; there hath not been ever the like, neither shall be any…
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Favorites? in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
I just finished a book I’d never heard of in my life before— my grandma lent it to me. It’s called ‘Beyond Sing the Woods’, and is by Trygve Gulbranssen. TRIG-VEE GULL-bran-sen.
That. Book. Was. Fantastic.
It’s a classic, and so can be a little slow and meandering at times, but it has got to make at least the top ten favorite books for me.…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic The Best Book Ever in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
And then there are the really sad stories. King Saul. King Solomon. King David, even, though his started out so well. All of their stories did, in fact. From redemption to rejection.
But thankfully not all the stories are like that. My favorite New Testament hero is Paul— his story is absolutely mindblowing. And Peter— a story of fear and…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic The Best Book Ever in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
And then there are the really sad stories. King Saul. King Solomon. King David, even, though his started out so well. All of their stories did, in fact. From redemption to rejection.
But thankfully not all the stories are like that. My favorite New Testament hero is Paul— his story is absolutely mindblowing. And Peter— a story of fear and…[Read more]
-
BlueJay replied to the topic The Best Book Ever in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
I love the books of Ruth and Esther. Two women who did what God wanted and were blessed because of it. I think it should be so encouraging, at least to females, to stand firm in your faith and do the right thing. Even if the outcome might kill you, (Esther going before the king) or makes you step outside your comfort zone (Ruth leaving her…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic The Best Book Ever in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Job. Job, and the story of Joseph, from a literary standpoint. But there are thousands (not exaggerating) of stories and sub-stories that I find immensely fascinating.
And of course, the overall story— a world taken from perfection to corruption to destruction to oppression to repentance and redemption. It’s the most drastic scale of…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Short Story by JadaMae in the forum Short Story Critiques 10 years, 8 months ago
Hey Jada, I liked it! Well done— only one thing I would suggest. Seeing as Andrew is pretty central to the story, I would have liked a little more of him in there. As it is, he’s not really woven irreplaceably into the cloth of the story. If you took him out, the story would still have meaning in and of itself. Helen and Dean could be having…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Short Story by JadaMae in the forum Short Story Critiques 10 years, 8 months ago
Hey Jada, I liked it! Well done— only one thing I would suggest. Seeing as Andrew is pretty central to the story, I would have liked a little more of him in there. As it is, he’s not really woven irreplaceably into the cloth of the story. If you took him out, the story would still have meaning in and of itself. Helen and Dean could be having…[Read more]
-
Greta replied to the topic You know you are a writer when… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Hahaha @kate-flournoy
-
Greta replied to the topic Character Names in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Yeah, those characters are really fun to write; I just get really annoyed with her in the story. 😛 @kate-flournoy
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Character Names in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Ah, but those characters are so fun to write, @gretald!
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic You know you are a writer when… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
If you’ve ever started for one portion of the house with a vague idea that you were supposed to be getting a snack, then half an hour later looked up to find yourself on the complete opposite side of the house with a monkey wrench, a bag of cheese, and the laundry-basket… and you’re like “Huh? How did I just—?”…
… you know you’re a…[Read more]
-
Greta replied to the topic Character Names in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Cool @rolena-hatfield! I love the name Miret. 🙂
Thanks! Madam Munch really is quite the character, and she is a bit like a mouse @kate-flournoy. 😛 She’s one of those characters who’s supposed to get you really annoyed, so I’d say she’s probably one of my least favorite characters in the novel.
- Load More
