Favorites?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 175 total)
  • Author
    Kate Flournoy
    @kate-flournoy
      • Total Posts: 3976

I just finished a book I’d never heard of in my life before— my grandma lent it to me. It’s called ‘Beyond Sing the Woods’, and is by Trygve Gulbranssen. TRIG-VEE GULL-bran-sen.

That. Book. Was. Fantastic.

It’s a classic, and so can be a little slow and meandering at times, but it has got to make at least the top ten favorite books for me. The characters were AMAZING— the emotions skilfully handled, the representation of the culture (Norway around the time of the French Revolution) absolutely stunning. It is one of the far better done Christian stories I have ever come across— not preachy by any definition of the word, but deep and solemn and beautiful. The theme, I guess you could say, is of change, but the message is of mercy and forgiveness, and the duty of a man, and the duty of a Christian.

I highly, highly recommend it.

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy

Oh— and another new favorite.

Rose of Prophecy, by @Hope Schmidt. 😀

Seriously. Which says a lot for her, because when someone reads a book specifically to pick holes in it (I beta read it for her) they generally can’t get over the mistakes. 😛

Hope Ann
        @hope
          • Total Posts: 1092

Thanks, @kate-flournoy. 😉

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Daeus
          @daeus
            • Total Posts: 4238

Two new favorites. First Rora. This is a book about the Waldensians. This is high on my recommendations list. Very well written.

And now, there’s another one I just read that is even better. Seriously, this book is causing catastrophic disorder to my top three list. I don’t think it beats Monte Cristo (I think I have a taboo against that), but it is in fierce competition with A Tale Of Two Cities. Y’all know Katie/K.M.Weiland right? You’ve been reading her articles over at helpingwritersbecomeauthors.com? If not, great stuff. You should check it out. But perhaps you’ve never read any of her books. Oooooohhh, you’ve got to. I just read my first book by her called Dreamlander. I really cannot tell you how amazing it is. Practically every sentence is just perfect. And for all of you people who love bittersweet endings, it’s …… it’s ……

……..

http://www.amazon.com/Dreamlander-K-M-Weiland-ebook/dp/B00A9WU99Q

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Sarah Hoven
            @sarah-h
              • Total Posts: 669

@Daeus – What genre is it?

Daeus
              @daeus
                • Total Posts: 4238

Speculative fiction

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Sarah Hoven
                @sarah-h
                  • Total Posts: 669

Thank you. I’m not familiar with that term, but I can look it up. 🙂

Kate Flournoy
                  @kate-flournoy

Okay guys… I just read Lord of the Flies. A friend gave me a copy— I was a little leery at first (with a title like that, you can’t be too cautious) but having finished it, I highly, highly recommend it.
                    I don’t think I can say I enjoyed reading it, but it is by far one of the more powerful books I have ever encountered. It made me think a lot harder and deeper than most books can. It’s a masterpiece of subtle allegory— I also recommend it as an AWESOME book for those who write allegory to study. (@Hope 😉 ).
                    With a title like that, you wouldn’t think it was a Christian or even a very moral book, but it is both. Though darkness is prevalent throughout the entire work, it is always, always shown as horrid and despicable and wrong. The theme of man’s complete helplessness to save himself (and of the monster he becomes without a moral compass) is amazingly done. Read it. Read it read it read it.

Only thing is, don’t read it if you have a problem with blood and gore— there’s some pretty graphic stuff in there.

Hope Ann
                    @hope

@Kate-Flournoy I read Lord of the Flies a few years ago. It was really interesting; different from anything I’d read and yet fascinating. It reminded me a little of Animal Farm by Orwell.

Kate Flournoy
                      @kate-flournoy

Yes @hope, I can definitely see that. Both books were written to make a strong point, not to make you feel good, therefore both plots were highly, highly realistic. If they’d been written just so they could be realistic it wouldn’t have packed as much of a punch, but since they’re realistic to seal the message they’re very powerful.

*ahem* Sorry. I tend to dissect everything having to do with words I come across.

You probably noticed that by now. 😉

Jada Morrison
                        @jadamae
                          • Total Posts: 199

@aella I actually don’t remember reading that one. It wasn’t out when we bought the series, so we didn’t own it. I will have to read it sometime.

The Happy Bookaholic
                          @the-happy-bookaholic
                            • Total Posts: 61

@Kate-Flournoy OH. MY. GOODNESS. Lord of the Flies is AMAZING. It’s one of my favourites yes yes woohoo now I’m getting too excited because I love this book so much. It’s amazing. It’s one of those books that makes me stare at the page and wonder how the author can convey such strong feeling just by words. And in addition, when I had finished reading it I was so distraught that there were no more pages. Then I thought and thought and thought about the book for the next hour. Now, a book that makes youthink is confirmed good.

So yes, READ IT.

Rosey Mucklestone
                            @writefury
                              • Total Posts: 467

Anybody read the Giver Quartet? I’m on book 3 at the moment.
                              Wouldn’t call them a favorite, but they are interesting…

Hope Ann
                              @hope

@writefury
                                I’ve read the first book and enjoyed it well enough. But our library doesn’t have the others and I didn’t feel like buying them. Have you seen the movie The Giver? I almost liked it better than the book; there was more of a conclusion.

Rosey Mucklestone
                                @writefury
                                  • Total Posts: 467

@hope Huh. Mom watched the preview and seemed kind of annoyed by the enhanced romantic element. Maybe I’ll give it a try. 😛
                                  Gathering Blue… was pretty good. It’s a different world. But the ending sort of derails a bit. It’s building up the mystery on one topic and then sort of plot-twists on another topic and doesn’t quite resolve.
                                  Messenger I really didn’t get as much as the first two. The symbolism went a little over my head and the ending was sad.
                                  But good writing in both. 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 175 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >