-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic What Is Your Birthday? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years ago
@Anne-of-Lothlorien I’m seventeen and my birthday is March 24. 😀
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Prayer Requests in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years ago
@ClaireC with pleasure. 🙂
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Prayer Requests in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years ago
@Claire-C with pleasure. 🙂
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Evil Poem in the forum Poetry Critiques 10 years ago
Anne!!!! You came to KP!!! Oh my goodness why did you have to do it while I was on vacation I haven’t properly welcomed you and this is terrible oh dear!!
So first of all— WELCOME TO KINGDOM PEN, @ANNE-OF-LOTHLORIEN!!Yes. So now that that’s out of the way… I really like your poem. I agree with the comments about the rhythm— it does seem to…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Structure and Character Arcs in the forum Characters 10 years ago
Ooh, such a lovely topic! @Mark-Kamibaya thanks for starting it. I missed it initially because I’m on vacation and wifi is spotty, but you may rest assured I have not abandoned the forum. 😉
As for my favorite structure/arc… well, it really depends. I don’t think I have an absolute favorite. The two I primarily use are Hero’s Journey and…[Read more] -
Josiah DeGraaf replied to the topic Structure and Character Arcs in the forum Characters 10 years ago
@mark-kamibaya: Haven’t read McKee yet, but he’s rather high on my reading list. Hopefully I’ll be able to get to his book soon. Since I’m not as familiar with competing structures, because of how broad the three act structure is, my view tends to be that most stories work well with following that basic structure, albeit with certain tweaks…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Chatter in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years ago
Ooh, wifi on vacation! Yessss…
*ahem* You’re quite welcome, @Sarah-H. 😀 As I see it, the only purpose of debate is to discuss and discover truth, and anything besides firm respect and consideration is, at the very least, completely unnecessary. I do my best to live by that rule.
And good for your brother he’s willing to stand up and defend…[Read more] -
Josiah DeGraaf replied to the topic Structure and Character Arcs in the forum Characters 10 years ago
I’m only really familiar with the Three Act Structure and the Writer’s Journey. Haven’t even heard of the other ones. I prefer the Three Act Structure as it’s the most flexible and makes the most sense. I personally use K.M. Weiland’s variant of the Three Act Structure when writing. IMO, the Writer’s Journey template isn’t incredibly helpful and…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy posted an update 10 years ago
Hello lovely KeePers… just dropping a line to let you know that I and @Emma-Flournoy both are going to be gone for two weeks starting Wednesday the 14th… going out West on vacation with the family. So, we haven’t died if you tag us and we don’t respond. 😀 Don’t have too many great discussions without me.
Here… I’m just gonna tag the…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Lessons from a recent revision. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
Hey, @Mark-Kamibaya welcome back!! It would be a poor welcome indeed if someone attacked you now… XD
I do see what you’re saying, and to some extent I agree. For the most part, however, we aren’t talking about scene-by-scene summaries. In @Daeus‘s case, it was several chapters summarizing a character’s childhood. (At least I assume that’s what…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Editing Advice (Poem) in the forum Poetry Critiques 10 years, 1 month ago
It’s a lovely poem, @Overcomer— great concept, nice dexterity with the words and such— I definitely think it has promise. The one thing I’m not getting though is a consistent sense of rhythm. I’ll be reading, and think I’ve got a rhythm, and then I keep reading and the very next sentence it’s disrupted. I get the impression there IS a rhythm…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Editing Advice (Poem) in the forum Poetry Critiques 10 years, 1 month ago
It’s a lovely poem, @Overcomer— great concept, nice dexterity with the words and such— I definitely think it has promise. The one thing I’m not getting though is a consistent sense of rhythm. I’ll be reading, and think I’ve got a rhythm, and then I keep reading and the very next sentence it’s disrupted. I get the impression there IS a rhythm…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writers' Corner 2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
@Daeus sorry, gotta run. I got 716 words written though, so I’m pretty happy.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writers' Corner 2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
@Daeus m’kay I’m with you.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Lessons from a recent revision. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
@Daeus thanks. I think I will. *calls over shoulder* ‘Hey Matthew! Did you remember about the confetti?!’
*grins*
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writers' Corner 2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
@Daeus I won’t be doing it tonight. Good luck.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Howdy! in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 1 month ago
Howdy yourself, @Luke-C! Welcome to the bestistest place on the internet!
And any writing is better than no writing. You’ve laid the foundation; that’s always a start. 😀
Looking forward to seeing you around. -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Lessons from a recent revision. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
@Daeus there is nothing quite as satisfying as realizing you’ve really helped someone. 😀
No. You didn’t miss a thing. I couldn’t have said it better myself.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic To all and sundry in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 1 month ago
Wow, I am way late! WELCOME TO THE REALM OF THE KEEPERS OF THE KINGDOM PEN @JULIA-R!!
And… pretty much everything’s been said. 😛 The one piece of advice I can give you as far as discipline goes, is make yourself a writing time and stick to it. I write in the evenings from seven to nine, and all day Saturdays. There’s an awesome thread on this…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic How naming affects characterization in the forum Characters 10 years, 1 month ago
@Daeus thank you. I feel much safer. 😀
@Anna-Brie Trevelian… is a mess. 😛 You wouldn’t think it to look at his cold, hard exterior, but inside he’s broken to pieces. Which is going to be enormous fun to write. *rubs hands, cackles gleefully*
And I won’t name a character Galbatorix— it’s the name of the villain in Christopher Paolini’s Inheri…[Read more] - Load More



At least, you can assume we haven’t died. 😛
Have fun on vacation! 😀