-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Clinchers in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
Some of the best authors (like Jane Austen) begin their novels horribly…
What?! @gretald I think the beginning of Pride and Prejudice is one of the very best opening sentences of all time! ‘It is universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a large fortune must be in want of a wife’— what’s left to be desired? 😛
Oh well. To…[Read more] -
Greta started the topic Clinchers in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
Is anyone else obsessed with writing good clinchers (besides @ingridrd 😉 )? The first thing I do when I get a new book is read the clincher sentence and judge whether it’s a good clincher or a bad one. Does anyone else do this? Or is it just me?
Also, while we’re on the topic of clinchers, how important do you think they are? Do you think…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
Oh— and here’s your cookie. *hands you cookie* I doesn’t look like much, but looks can be deceiving. 😉
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
Ha! You need to take math again
What???????? What did I say? What did I do @Daeus? 😛 I didn’t think my horrible mathematical abilities were that obvious…
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
Give me my gold back and I will bake you one big everlasting cookie.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@Daeus wow, talk about revenge! 😛
Hey… you accidentally left all your cookies in the process of stealing all my gold and making off in your schooner. Can I have them? Thanks. *eats all cookies*
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
Aye aye, Cap’n— shiver me timbers, but we be editing too. *pauses, takes off pirate mask and squints thoughtfully at word-count*
*wonders if it will be wise to disclose said word-count*
*decides pirates don’t have to worry about being wise, slips mask back on and grins*
1,054 words edited @Daeus.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
Har har har? What? Okaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy… whatever. 😛 Nine it is.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@Daeus I am. Let’s go. When do you want to write till?
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Plot & Characters— Inseparable. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@spradlin ahhhhhhhhh… yes. That does make sense. Very much sense. 😉 Thanks for your input. 😀
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Animal Farm in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
*nods head sagely* We approves of all this most wholetheartednessly. I won’t repeat it all— I’d sound like a broken record. But one thing I noticed about AF (can we use initials please? Thanks) is that because Orwell simply states the facts without making it clear what his true opinion is, the book is more easily molded to suit the worldview of…[Read more]
-
Greta replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@Daeus I just remembered that I have something to do at that time. Sorry! 🙁
-
Greta replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@Daeus Hmm, maybe…let’s say 3:00 until 3:30? Does that work for you?
-
Greta changed their profile picture 10 years, 4 months ago
-
Greta replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@Daeus I have homework to do right now, so I can’t. Will you still be writing this afternoon? I could maybe write then. 🙂
-
Greta replied to the topic Animal Farm in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@spradlin Those are some great thoughts to chew on. 😉 I think that Orwell is telling the story for his readers, mostly. His main objective in writing this story seems to be to convince others of whatever points he’s trying to get across in his writing. It’s a little to early in the story to tell exactly what points he’s trying to prove. @Daeus…[Read more]
-
Greta replied to the topic Animal Farm in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@jadamae Good point. I definitely agree with you about that. 🙂
-
Greta replied to the topic Animal Farm in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
Interesting thoughts, everyone!
As far as writing goes, I noticed that there was a lot of telling in the beginning, too, but as you said @daeus, I don’t think that it was necessarily a bad technique. As a reader, I was engaged the entire time. And that’s really all that matters, right? 😉
The characters are great. Each animal has a strikingly…[Read more] -
Greta replied to the topic NOT Knights of Light in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@Hope Honestly, I like it. I don’t think it’s cheesy at all. Great idea, combining the word legionnaires and the word legend. 😉 I’d definitely go with it.
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 5 months ago
561. And I’ve finished the fifth in my Chaos the Cat series. 🙂 and Started the sixth. 😀 *squeals with delight* Thank you for writing with me @faithdk. Sorry I can’t go for longer.
- Load More
