Plot & Charactersโ€” Inseparable.

Home Page โ€บ Forums โ€บ Fiction Writing โ€บ General Writing Discussions โ€บ Plot & Charactersโ€” Inseparable.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Kate Flournoy
    @kate-flournoy
      • Total Posts: 3976

They should be. I heard that for the longest time. And for the longest time I thought I was getting it.
      Turns out I wasnโ€™t.
      Dear fellow KeePers, Iโ€™m here today to tell you what that thing really means.

It means the characters drive the plot.

Wellโ€ฆ what does that mean? It sounds simpleโ€ฆ but itโ€™s not.

Ultimately, it means that your characterโ€™s internal struggles are going to force them to make decisions that drastically affect the direction of the story. It has to be this way for a number of reasons.
      1. It keeps the reader on the edge of their seat.
      2. It provides very unique and stunning plot-twists with almost no effort at all.
      3. It impacts your theme and message drastically.
      4. It forces the reader to care. Not just about the character, hoping theyโ€™ll win whatever internal battle it is theyโ€™re fighting, but also about the plotโ€ฆ because the plot is going to be dramatically affected when it comes time for the character to choose the winning side of themselves. See? They should be oneโ€” the reader should be connected to one because they are connected to the other.

And for the longest time I didnโ€™t get this.

Itโ€™s not just about hugely important character arcs eitherโ€” the tiniest things about your characters should impact the plot. The quarrel a son has with his father. The misunderstanding and bitterness between two brothers. The inseparability of two twins. Every single one of these character elements has amazing potential to take the plot down twisting, turning, amazing roads that will leave your reader gasping with delight or horror.

The characterโ€™s inner world should not be disconnected from the outer world. Decisions are made based on personality, and decisions have real-world consequences.

Thoughts?

Daeus
      @daeus
        • Total Posts: 4238

Yeah, well, Iโ€™d agree. Donโ€™t have much to add.

๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy
          Ingrid
          @ingridrd
            • Total Posts: 830

Agreed! Spot on, @kate-flournoy. ๐Ÿ™‚

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

Greta
            @gretald
              • Total Posts: 450

@kate-flournoy Yes, I agree with this so much. {Or, as @spradlin would say โ€œgives many thumbs up.โ€ ๐Ÿ˜‰ } Great point about the smallest personality traits affecting the characterโ€™s decisions.

Hope Ann
              @hope
                • Total Posts: 1092

Yes, @kate-flournoy, Characters, characters, characters. They drive the story; some things happen independently of them, but itโ€™s there reaction which keeps the story moving.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Rosey Mucklestone
                @writefury
                  • Total Posts: 467

Awesome thoughts, @kate-flournoy!
                  Just adding a bit on top of thatโ€ฆ
                  Usually there are two types of hero: The eager hero and the reluctant hero.
                  The eager hero inherently drives the plot along much faster, but generally jumps into the situation not fully knowing the dangers or effects of what heโ€™s doing.
                  The reluctant hero normally stars in more plot driven stories and isnโ€™t usually one to pursue conflict. More often than not, these guys would rather just go home than fight the dragon or whatever, but it works into their character arc. (The British actor, Martin Freeman, plays a LOT of these characters. XD )
                  Anyway.
                  Thought Iโ€™d clarify. ๐Ÿ˜›

Kate Flournoy
                  @kate-flournoy

Good point, @writefury. I agree.
                    Itโ€™s always nice when you can break things down into smaller categories. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sarah Spradlin
                    @spradlin
                      • Total Posts: 189

*appears in customary ploof of smoke* *provides the many thumbs up*

"When enemies attack your kingdom you don't flee you show them why it's your kingdom. With your lightsaber."

Greta
                      @gretald

Haha @spradlin ๐Ÿ˜›

Sarah Spradlin
                        @spradlin

*bows* Iโ€™ll be here all week. ๐Ÿ˜€ @gretald

"When enemies attack your kingdom you don't flee you show them why it's your kingdom. With your lightsaber."

Greta
                          @gretald

Literally laughing out loud when I read that. ๐Ÿ˜› @spradlin

Sarah Spradlin
                            @spradlin

*produces the many thumbs up* Thatโ€™s what Iโ€™m here for! ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜€ @gretald

Greta
                              @gretald

@spradlin I think we need to discuss how many thumbs you have. ๐Ÿ˜›

Sarah Spradlin
                                @spradlin

Yโ€™know, I could just be repeated putting two thumbs up. #foodforthought #oricouldhavemorethantwo #theworldmayneverknow. ๐Ÿ˜€ @gretald

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >