-
BlueJay replied to the topic Where do you live? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
@his-instrument Yes we have spring and autumn. Winter falls in the months of June, July and August. We are expecting snow down to very low levels on Monday. (Your Sunday)
@sarah-h I HATE Halloween too. We (my family) don’t celebrate Christmas or Easter. @anna-brie I think Halloween is rather a big thing in Victoria.
Yes, Australia Day is a big…[Read more] -
BlueJay replied to the topic To all and sundry in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 1 month ago
@julia-r Hello and welcome. DISNEY! DISNEY! DISNEY! Yeah…. 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 I love Disney and Pixar and every movie in between. I am always singing and repeating from them.
-
Greta replied to the topic Writing Dares! in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
@julia-r
Write a story about a PRINCESS who turns into a frog and she needs to get a PRINCE to kiss her to turn back into a person. I don’t know if that’s a good dare or not, but you like Disney, and that’s the best I could do. 😉 -
Greta replied to the topic To all and sundry in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 1 month ago
@julia-r
Hi! Welcome to Kingdom Pen. I have to say that you picked the perfect place to grow as a writer and gain some writerly friends. I’ve done both since I joined. 😀 It’s great to meet you!
I’m with you on painting and drawing, Disney, and travel. What was your favorite place you travel to? Favorite Disney character (I like your…[Read more] -
Greta replied to the topic Play-writing vs. General Writing in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
@Jess
Cool! That sounds really fun. 🙂 Let me know how it goes! -
Greta replied to the topic Play-writing vs. General Writing in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
@Jess
I’ve never written a script before, but I act. My advice is to create natural dialogue because that’s all you can write. Script writing in some ways is harder than writing a story because you can’t use any descriptions besides stage directions, though, on the other hand, writing dialogue is the easiest thing to write, at least for…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic How naming affects characterization in the forum Characters 10 years, 1 month ago
@Daeus thank you. I feel much safer. 😀
@Anna-Brie Trevelian… is a mess. 😛 You wouldn’t think it to look at his cold, hard exterior, but inside he’s broken to pieces. Which is going to be enormous fun to write. *rubs hands, cackles gleefully*
And I won’t name a character Galbatorix— it’s the name of the villain in Christopher Paolini’s Inheri…[Read more] -
Greta replied to the topic How naming affects characterization in the forum Characters 10 years, 1 month ago
@Daeus
Really? No killing allowed? I thought this topic would be fun. Just kidding. 😉 😛@anna-brie
I agree about some names sounding ridiculous, especially if the story is set in another world. If the story is in another world, the names should be unique, but not…too unique. Like Farentobiolis (I just made that up; it’s pronounced…[Read more] -
Greta replied to the topic How naming affects characterization in the forum Characters 10 years, 1 month ago
It’s great fun how sometimes a name and a character just completely click. Sometimes, before I even name the character, I know what letter his name has to start with because it’s ‘his’ letter, so I brainstorm names that begin with that letter.
@kate-flournoy I do the SAME thing! For some reason, I usually have a character “letter” in mind.…[Read more]
-
Greta replied to the topic Where do you live? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
@anna-brie
Wow, cool! It’s always fascinating to hear about holidays in other countries. 🙂 -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic How naming affects characterization in the forum Characters 10 years, 1 month ago
Ooh, great topic @Anna-Brie! I love names. Pretty much what everyone else said in regards to villains, though as in all cases with all things there are exceptions.
As for heroes… well, it depends on what kind of person the hero is. When I think ‘hero’ I usually think ‘noble’, ‘strong’ and ‘complicated’. Don’t ask me why I think complicated. :P…[Read more] -
Greta replied to the topic How naming affects characterization in the forum Characters 10 years, 1 month ago
@anna-brie
Great topic, Anna! Thanks for bringing it up. 🙂 I absolutely love making up character names and learning the meanings behind the names!
I think a villain’s name usually contains hard sounds (as @ingridrd said). I don’t know if that’s because it makes the villains sound harsher and harder or for some other reason, but it seems that…[Read more] -
Greta replied to the topic How naming affects characterization in the forum Characters 10 years, 1 month ago
@anna-brie
Great topic, Anna! Thanks for bringing it up. 🙂 I absolutely love making up character names and learning the meanings behind the names!
I think a villain’s name usually contains hard sounds (as @ingridrd said). I don’t know if that’s because it makes the villains sound harsher and harder or for some other reason, but it seems that…[Read more] -
BlueJay replied to the topic Writers' Corner 2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
@sarah-h I found out from the “where do you live” topic and when it is 11pm in Arizona it is 4pm here. (Just the next day) 🙂 So that will suit me fine on some days. I would probably only be able to write for 45 minutes, as we have tea (supper, I think Americans call it) at 5pm.
I don’t mind if you tag me when you want to write and I’ll let you…[Read more] -
BlueJay replied to the topic Writers' Corner 2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
@sarah-h Which state are you from so I can do some time calculations?
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writers' Corner 2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
@Daeus no problem. Thanks.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writers' Corner 2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
@Daeus I’m good with that.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writers' Corner 2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
@Daeus I got 747 words… do you want to keep going?
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writers' Corner 2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
@Daeus count me in.
- Load More
