@jenwriter17
Active 4 years, 3 months ago- Rank: Chosen One
- Total Posts: 2522
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
Are you around today?
I’m assuming no one else will be, but if any of you are still awake, feel free to join me.
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
Ah, no my dear Ariel. I only read the blurbs 😛
-
Ariel Ashira's profile was updated 8 years, 1 month ago
-
Ariel Ashira replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
Christian Amish romance novels? *gags* Please tell me you don’t read that stuff!
This conversation is great, BTW. Â Both of your views are interesting. Â In Missouri we lived near many menonite communities, so this came up sometimes with friends we had.
-
Skredder replied to the topic Clouded Fury Alpha links in the forum Novel Critique Requests 8 years, 1 month ago
@jenwriter17 🙂 Okie dokie, I shall do that. 😉
-
Skredder replied to the topic Clouded Fury Alpha links in the forum Novel Critique Requests 8 years, 1 month ago
@jenwriter17 Sure. That’s absolutely fine! I’m taking a little time off before I start editing. 🙂 You’ve got some time.
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
A doctorate? Well… 😀 I truly do go along and read the blurbs of Christian romance novels. 😛 Its a fascinating and utterly useless hobby.
Sure! I’d be happy to pick this up again whenever you see fit. Goodnight!
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
I read the blurbs
Haha! That reminds me of a quiz I took a few days ago. It was one of those things that says “we’ll guess your education level by which books you’ve read.” You know what I mean? Well, anyway, I had possibly read two or three of the fifty or so books on the list, but I was able to answer something like 95 per…[Read more]
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
I read the blurbs 😛 I actually have read a few, never on purpose but usually because I’m promised an awesome retelling or medieval book…and it turns out to be a romance. and I’m too stubborn to stop reading half way through it (the only reason I ever stop reading a book is if I have moral problems with it. I just hate half…[Read more]
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
@seekjustice All the Christian Amish fiction? I thought you didn’t read romance. 😛
Ah, I see.
Actually, most of the people I know who wear head coverings aren’t Amish or Mennonite, though. Usually they wear them I think because they read the head covering passage and decided that was what they should do, just like my mom. So it’s not just fo…[Read more]
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
I did know that most of the Amish/Mennonite population was around there, because all the Christian Amish fiction takes place, predominantly, in Pennsylvania. Also, ages ago I guessed that you lived in Pennsylvania, and I wasn’t that far wrong.
I’m not even sure if Australia has an Amish community. It certainly isn’t as public as America’s.
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
@seekjustice 😀
Even though we go to a Baptist church most of the circles we move in include very traditional reformed Calvanist(ic) type churches, so that might explain some of it. Another explanation could be that we live very near “Amish Country” which is what we call Lancaster Pennsylvania and areas surrounding it. Did you know of the l…[Read more]
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
Why thank you. Its been on my mind a bit so I thought I’d discuss it.
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
Well, I guess if her husband just sees it as part of who she is, he’s less likely to want her to stop wearing it, so it sounds very effective to me 😛
No. No one at the church I go to wear any sort of covering and off the top of my head I can’t think of anyone else I know who would. I have some acquaintances who are devout Catholics…[Read more]
-
Sink replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
You guys have got quite the conversation going. 😉 It’s actually really interesting to read. Great points. 🙂
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
@seekjustice Yes, that makes sense. 🙂 Here’s a funny story with a similar sort of idea:
I have an unmarried friend who wears headcoverings constantly, not just in church. We were talking about it one day, and how the Bible says a woman should wear a head covering to show that she is in submission to her husband, and we told her how we b…[Read more]
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
I remember that sort of thing happening to me lately but I can’t remember why now. There was some reason I wanted to jump up and keep correcting the preacher 🙂
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
Like I said, until I started reading the Bible for myself (rather than someone reading the Bible to me) I’d never heard the idea of wearing a headcovering. Since I was five I’ve attended a Baptist church and the issue was never addressed. In fact, today was really the first time I ever thought about it in depth. I personally don’t…[Read more]
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
I think a lot of Western culture has lost the original meanings of many parts of both the New and Old testaments just because we have such a limited understanding of Eastern culture.
I completely agree!! Actually, we’ve had that problem a few times with some sermons where we just wanted to yell at the pastor, “we know you’re trying…[Read more]
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #19 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 1 month ago
…so let’s see if I can do a really short post about the headcovering thing.
Quick (hopefully) answer is: We believe the headcovering referenced there is a literal headcovering, not the hair, and that the hair is used as a symbol, but an additional headcovering is what is expected by the chapter. From the context, we think that…[Read more]
- Load More
