-
Kathleen replied to the topic All of my topics are pending… in the forum Questions and Support 4 years, 5 months ago
Yeah, sometimes the site flags stuff for no reason, but I checked it out and was able to approve your posts! If it’s still not showing up for you, just let me know.
-
Elanor replied to the topic Do your characters tend to be more extraverted or introverted? in the forum Topic of the Week 4 years, 5 months ago
@kathleenramm
Mine tend to be a pretty good mix of the two. But I love throwing the two into the same scene and the frustrations that can result from the clash.But also thinking more about it my protagonists are almost without fail an introvert…
But I also have some Introverts who are talkative. These characters talk to cover up how nervous a…[Read more]
-
Madelyn replied to the topic Fairytale Retellings in the forum Genre-Writing 4 years, 5 months ago
Haha, good idea!! How are you going to get high school credit for writing?
Yesss, isn’t it strange how these GPSs don’t work underground?? Must be a design flaw. But, I agree, ending up in Madagascar or Australia isn’t the worst scenario. I haven’t ended up in the ocean yet, so that’s something to be thankful for *shrug*
That’s t…[Read more]
-
Madelyn replied to the topic Do your characters tend to be more extraverted or introverted? in the forum Topic of the Week 4 years, 5 months ago
Haha, same as you actually. My old characters were more extroverted, but now they lean toward introverted. I’d call them internally extroverted and externally introverted 😉 (say that five times fast). Lately, my (main) characters aren’t real people persons (or would it be people people?), but engage more in, like you said, inner…[Read more]
-
Kathleen started the topic Do your characters tend to be more extraverted or introverted? in the forum Topic of the Week 4 years, 5 months ago
Do your characters tend to be more extraverted or introverted?
I’d like to say that I have a pretty good mix of both, as the contrast between characters adds nice dynamics, but after a little thought it might not be as equal as I thought.When I first started writing, most of my characters were more on the extraverted side, but since then it’s k…[Read more]
-
Kathleen replied to the topic What's Your Favorite Relationship Type in Fiction? in the forum Topic of the Week 4 years, 5 months ago
Woah. I thought I had written a lot of sibling relationships, but I can honestly say you’ve beaten me.
And yeah, two friends so close they could be brothers pretty much counts as brothers in my eyes.
Since you have written many brother relationships, have you written any sister relationships in your stories? And if you…[Read more]
-
Kathleen replied to the topic Scars, a poem in the forum Poetry 4 years, 5 months ago
This is amazing. I love how you painted such a strong image in just a few lines.
How long have you been writing poetry for? Also, have any tips for a beginner? You know, asking for a friend lol.
-
Madelyn replied to the topic Fairytale Retellings in the forum Genre-Writing 4 years, 6 months ago
Hey-o!
For one, thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to reply here (better late than never!) and giving so much advice!
Your retelling sounds prettttty awesome! I’m excited just hearing about it! I love the different approaches that you’re taking to the different characters. And, personally, I like the idea of removing the romance…[Read more]
-
Madelyn replied to the topic Fairytale Retellings in the forum Genre-Writing 4 years, 6 months ago
I feel ya!! It’s hard to make time for writing, especially when other time-consuming things outrank it in priority (spiritual life, relationships, school, health, etc.).
Yesss, it’s so hard to navigate! For some reason or another, Google Maps will not cooperate with me once I get about 50 or so feet underground. After that, I just fol…[Read more]
-
Madelyn replied to the topic Find my characters Want/Goal in the forum Characters 4 years, 6 months ago
-
Madelyn replied to the topic Find my characters Want/Goal in the forum Characters 4 years, 6 months ago
What if his goal, instead of proving himself, was to not disappoint anyone (especially Ara)? It runs along the same lines, but instead of a go-getter-take-initiative element, it’s more based in fear and doubt. Especially if he’s been put down his whole life, he might expect failure and be terrified of it in this scenario.
And tru…[Read more]
-
Kathleen replied to the topic Find my characters Want/Goal in the forum Characters 4 years, 6 months ago
Well, one option would be that his goal is to confess to his crush or find a way for his crush to confess to him. Depending on what kind of guy he is.
Another option would be that his goal is to get away from his father. Whether that be earning enough money to buy a place away from his home, or to run away.
He could have both…[Read more]
-
Kathleen replied to the topic Do you Prefer Classical or Modern Literature? in the forum Topic of the Week 4 years, 6 months ago
A lot of those are on my tbr list. Now that I see you also recommend then I am even more looking forward to reading them!
That’s really interesting! I never thought there was a ‘first’ best selling book, but now thinking about it, of course there had to be one lol.
That’s really cool! Makes me even more interested in…[Read more]
-
Madelyn's profile was updated 4 years, 6 months ago
-
Madelyn replied to the topic Pitch Critique! in the forum General Writing Discussions 4 years, 6 months ago
Hey-o!
Ooh, gotcha, November is a cool name for a guy!
Things I like:
1. The description of the circus world (“mystery, neon lights, and a peculiar sort of people”). It gives just enough info to set the mood and peak the reader’s curiosity, but still maintains an air of mystery!
2. How it picks up right after the first story,…[Read more]
-
Madelyn's profile was updated 4 years, 6 months ago
-
Madelyn replied to the topic Do you Prefer Classical or Modern Literature? in the forum Topic of the Week 4 years, 6 months ago
Anddd I forgot to answer your question XD
I can’t remember a lot of the specific classics I’ve read and enjoyed, but I do remember…
Any works of J.R.R. Tolkien
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
The Hidden Hand by E.D.E.N. Southworth
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
What are…[Read more]
-
Madelyn replied to the topic Do you Prefer Classical or Modern Literature? in the forum Topic of the Week 4 years, 6 months ago
Aww, thanks! <3 I’ve gotten pretty passionate about prose/words over the years, though I’ve found it’s really distracted me from actual story writing… that’s just an area to grow in! I guess you really never stop learning 😉
It was a fun essay to write!! 😉
Yessss, what you read affects your writing! Or in general, what you put…[Read more]
-
Kathleen replied to the topic Do you Prefer Classical or Modern Literature? in the forum Topic of the Week 4 years, 6 months ago
Yeah, Classic lit. feels so much more grounded. It also feels a bit more comfy and homey to read. I do really like fast paced books, but slow paced books like classics are so relaxing.
Do you have any favorite classics?
@devastate-lasting
I haven’t dared venture back before the 1600’s ever since I read a bunch a books around that…[Read more] -
Madelyn replied to the topic Pitch Critique! in the forum General Writing Discussions 4 years, 6 months ago
I love your pitch!!
Things I like:
1. The whole concept of a “circus world” is fascinating (and getting trapped in one sounds like quite the predictiment ;P), so using that as a hook/attention-grabber worked well 🙂
2. It makes me as a reader want to “pick up the book” ’cause I’m concerned for Ara and November (like whatttt?? T…[Read more]
- Load More
